Should Religious Slurs Be Banned From Threads?

Should religious slurs be banned again?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 am

YES
30%
NO
51%
INDIFFERENT
19%

Total votes: 80

auntiflo13
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Should Religious Slurs Be Banned From Threads?

Post by auntiflo13 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:35 am

I had a message from a very upset poster. She finds religious slurs offensive and feels they should be blocked. I thought we had religious slurs blocked before but, it seems they are allowed at the moment. Morgan thinks we should have a poll. We will let it run for 7 days and see the outcome. Thankyou <3
'I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good!'

Meomix
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Should Religious Slurs Be Banned From Threads?

Post by Meomix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:56 am

I really don't care, if religious slurs exist they exist for a reason. I may be extremely biased but i'm at my limit with Jehova Witness ringing at my doorbell yet again.

OldHag13
Informer
Informer

Post by OldHag13 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:12 am

I'm assuming racist and/or sexist slurs aren't allowed, so if they are blocked why would religious slurs be permitted? I just like consistency.

Meomix
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Meomix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 am

OldHag13 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:12 am
I'm assuming racist and/or sexist slurs aren't allowed, so if they are blocked why would religious slurs be permitted? I just like consistency.
Because i guess it is a slippery slope, if you start banning religious slurs what about political slurs, mainstream media slurs and SJW slurs? Before you know it the forum becomes too PG-13 to hold a normal discussion. These rEgLiGIoUs people should figure out why the slurs came about in the first place, there is a reason why politics and religion are banned on most forums across the internet.

NewHampshirite
Talker
Talker

Post by NewHampshirite » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:04 am

This is silly. They are just WORDS and not directed at anyone. Ugh.

jhodge3409
Talker
Talker

Post by jhodge3409 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:08 am

I don't think they should be blocked. This is a gossip forum not a catholic school forum lol. Words are just words, if someone feels uncomfortable with curse words or slurs they probably shouldn't be on here anyways..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sigma3zl
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Post by sigma3zl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 am

Wasn't there a huge blowout over the use of JC by CHB? I will never understand peoples outrage over saying the words Jesus Christ. If you object to those words, you shouldn't be on this website gossiping about others as you aren't very Christian.

fizzwizz12
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 am

nope. i'm indifferent as i don't have that "i'm offended" style of personality.

however, if you start limiting speech one way, then it causes a snowball effect that we shouldn't tolerate. if the person is offended and upset, that's on them.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

fizzwizz12
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:22 am

further,
what pray tell, does a religious slur consist of exactly? what is offending these posters?
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

OldHag13
Informer
Informer

Post by OldHag13 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 am

I don't think anything should be banned, but if you're going to ban one, imho you gotta ban them all. Let's let all the racist slurs back in, too.

UReallyCare
Informer
Informer

Post by UReallyCare » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 am

Some words fly right out of a person mouth and or fingertips without realizing it. No I don’t think certain words should be banned. If you’re a huge believer in G-D, ya know he doesn’t approve of gossip, therefore you shouldn’t be here at Gossip Guru.

SayItIsntSo
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Post by SayItIsntSo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am

It depends on the context really

illegal_mind
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by illegal_mind » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm

just fyi, by religious slurs, this poster means things like the word fuck next to jesus or god. like "oh my fucking god".
a religious slur would be someone using a word to discriminate against a religious group that's considered part of a minority. so any word that'd be used to attack someone that's jewish, muslim, buddhist.
if you got that much of an issue with the word fuck being next to the word jesus, maybe stick to youtubekids. because those aren't slurs.
there used to be an option to censor offensive words, and those words would either be completely censored and there'd be a warning in their place, or they'd be replaced with something else, like "fuck" would be replaced with just a "f".
if the censoring option is no longer available, sure, bring it back and let people know how to enable/disable it.
when something is a slur, like the n-word, or the gay slur starting with f, or the gay umbrella term that's also used as a slur starting with q, those would be replaced by a message saying slurs aren't allowed. if we apply that to the word fuck, literally the whole website will be filled with "no slurs allowed" messages.
and like i've said already like 4 times, saying fuck next to the word jesus or god isn't a slur. blasphemous? sure. but it ain't a slur.

i don't remember where the censor is enabled, i disabled it ages ago when i first joined and don't remember where the option is. if for some reason that option has been removed, my suggestion is that it gets brought back and the users are alerted that it's an option if, for some reason, grown ass people, have that much of an issue with reading the word fuck on a gossip website
The Internet knows all your secrets

fizzwizz12
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:04 pm

I've read otherwise, a religious slur is actually the following :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... son2004-54

it's basically talking about calling someone a bible thumper and differen't random names. molly mormon, jack mormon,
has nothing to do with swearing or the euphemism "taking gods name in vain"

julebox722
Talker
Talker

Post by julebox722 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 am

Just because people read here and comment, doesn't mean they need to be on youtube "kids". Not everyone reads here for the same reasons. It is offensive to MANY to see the "f" word next to GOD or JESUS. No one is asking or complaining that the "f' word is being used elsewhere and asking it to be blocked out anyplace else.
To many, HE is their GOD and it is offensive. It's not big deal to have it blocked out just in this context and it's not going to hurt anyone to see it blocked in this context. I'm sure if someone was saying anything offensive about any other group (homosexuals, religious groups, race) it would be offensive, but when it comes to anyone not wanting to see the "f" word next to GOD or Jesus it is acceptable. Double standard much?

Please bring back the algorithm.

Meomix
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Meomix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 am

julebox722 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 am
Just because people read here and comment, doesn't mean they need to be on youtube "kids". Not everyone reads here for the same reasons. It is offensive to MANY to see the "f" word next to GOD or JESUS. No one is asking or complaining that the "f' word is being used elsewhere and asking it to be blocked out anyplace else.
To many, HE is their GOD and it is offensive. It's not big deal to have it blocked out just in this context and it's not going to hurt anyone to see it blocked in this context. I'm sure if someone was saying anything offensive about any other group (homosexuals, religious groups, race) it would be offensive, but when it comes to anyone not wanting to see the "f" word next to GOD or Jesus it is acceptable. Double standard much?

Please bring back the algorithm.
I'm sorry but we atheists are tired of your shit, if you are going to ban f next to god you might as well ban f next to every god, deity and entity that exists in the history books, so that this forum can become useless. Why is your god special? Double standard much?

This obvious attempt at censorship is not amusing many people.

Don't like that word combination that much? Install a kid browser and tell it to censor fuck next to god, job done. In fact i had one of those kid browsers when i was young and it was fucking annoying, i'm sure you can go and install one of those if the word combination offends you that badly.

Meomix
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Meomix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:53 am

In fact here you go since many people don't seem to search the internet to fix their problems.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bodo?hl=en

The mods can direct people who are offended by religious slurs to this app.

julebox722
Talker
Talker

Post by julebox722 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 am

You're tired of it? LOL

Ok. Angry much?

This isn't about your religion of atheism. In fact I didn't bother to read the rest of your psychobabble.

Again, thank you GG for opening this up to a vote. It would be most appreciated if you would put back the algorithm on this one thing. Other things are not allowed, not everything is accepted here, so this one request shouldn't be a big issue. Thank you!

ArsenicKitten
Informer
Informer

Post by ArsenicKitten » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:01 am

Gonna throw my late two cents in here....I'm a religious person but the words and slurs don't offend me. In fact, I break that "name in vain" commandment quite often myself....whoopsie. I try my hardest not to shove religion down others throats (it's a pet peeve of mine as my family is the absolute worst at it and I'm definitely the little black sheep of the family). While I can understand people being upset about it, I don't think a ban would be a good idea because it's a slippery slope of what could offend others later and before you know it, the JH thread will turn into a rave thread because everyone will be afraid to say anything.

In person, sure, if someone is using strong language you don't like, you have just as much right to ask them politely to stop as they do to use the language. If they don't stop, you can remove yourself from the situation. Online....you have the ability to ignore it, keep scrolling and effectively "remove yourself from the situation"

I'm not saying they can't be offended, it's okay to not agree, but to completely ban phrases like "good d*mn" and "Jesus Fu*cking christ" is toeing a dangerous free speech line. Now of were talking true, TRUE hate speech...against a specific person in the threads because of their beliefs is not right and shouldn't be allowed. (which I'm pretty sure it's not allowed already)

Sorry to be so long winded....my two cents turned into four. Oops.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

auntiflo13
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Post by auntiflo13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 am

I am guilty of using 'Jesus Christ on a bike' ...quite often on GG.... but, the number one rule on GG is 'be respectful to other posters'. I've broadened my use of insults to include 'Hoofwankin Bunglecunt' and 'wankpuffin' to name but a few..... and have veered away from using 'religious' figures in an expletive sentence .....
'I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good!'

julebox722
Talker
Talker

Post by julebox722 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 am

auntiflo13 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 am
I am guilty of using 'Jesus Christ on a bike' ...quite often on GG.... but, the number one rule on GG is 'be respectful to other posters'. I've broadened my use of insults to include 'Hoofwankin Bunglecunt' and 'wankpuffin' to name but a few..... and have veered away from using 'religious' figures in an expletive sentence .....
You always make me laugh! :respekt:

It's about respect, not free speech. There are many things I would like to say on here but I know are against the rules and I don't do it.

leeniie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by leeniie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:53 pm

No, they should not be blocked. It's free speech.. They're just words.

OldHag13
Informer
Informer

Post by OldHag13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm

If it's all about "free speech," then I can assume we will all be free to use the words we never actually type out - ni**er, f*g, and any number of ethnic slurs.

Whatever standard is applied must be applied consistently. If objectionable words are blocked regarding race, sexuality and ethnicity, to me it is only fair to apply the same to religion.

(In a grown up world nothing would be blocked and we could be respectful regardless, but that seem to be the case.)

OldHag13
Informer
Informer

Post by OldHag13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm

If it's all about "free speech," then I can assume we will all be free to use the words we never actually type out - ni**er, f*g, and any number of ethnic slurs.

Whatever standard is applied must be applied consistently. If objectionable words are blocked regarding race, sexuality and ethnicity, to me it is only fair to apply the same to religion.

(In a grown up world nothing would be blocked and we could be respectful regardless, but that doesn't seem to be the case.)

Nichol513
Talker
Talker

Post by Nichol513 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I think it should be all or nothing. If you’re going to ban something that offends someone, ban it all. Or don’t ban anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “GG Contests and Polls”