Authortube

ladyboobridgewater
Learner
Learner
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Authortube

Post by ladyboobridgewater »

Hey, I hope this works. I know we've all been hankering for a scam artist... oh soz, 'authortube' thread so if I've done this right, this can be the place. Have at 'em chums.

fuzzyears
Learner
Learner
Been liked: 0

Re: Authortube

Post by fuzzyears »

Following :tu:

subtleslytherin
Lurker
Lurker

Post by subtleslytherin »

I mean WHERE TO START haha. I imagine we'll get many pages of material just off of "what scam is Kristen Martin running today?"... but generally I think it would be interesting to discuss a lot of different things! Our favorite Authortubers... not just the big ones but maybe newer channels? Up and coming? Things about authortube that annoys us?

I'll tell you what I find fascinating/frustrating/interesting is how a lot of the bigger/long established channels are barely writing channels anymore--they are business channels almost? Kristen Martin is obviously the best example, but Mandi Lynn is doing it a bit too (I think b/c of Kristen's example)... and then we have the phenomenon of a bunch of them starting Patreons? I know authortube is partly about platform but it's just so frustrating seeing every major channel convert into nothing but a promotion tool for what they are selling? Fiction, self-help books, courses, Patreon, etc. etc. etc.

And this has a tickle down effect: I try to watch newer channels and some of them are just so painful because from DAY ONE it's "I am self-publishing my book and here's a ton of information about it." At least be subtle about it! Build up your channel a bit and then drop your book on us haha.

beautyblenderhohoho
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been liked: 3 times

Post by beautyblenderhohoho »

following ~

MascaraEyes
Learner
Learner

Post by MascaraEyes »

ooh new thread... fancy

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

Post by smokingandangry »

I wanted to write a little primer on one of the biggest scammers in the AuthorTube community: Kristen Martin.
  • Claims to be an international best-selling author. She's not. Her first series hit top 25 of a very niche category in summer 2017 when she put all of the books on discount for three days. The term "best seller" on Amazon means you hit number one in your category or top one-hundred in the Kindle store. She has done neither. The same scenario has happened for every other published work she's done: she puts it on a high discount for a few days to encourage purchases, it will climb in very specific sub-categories (6+ levels down), and she then takes on the "best seller" title. This isn't unique to Kristen. Many, many self-published writers use this method. Doesn't make it less of a lie, though.
  • When she hit "best seller" status, she posted a vlog of her sobbing about having achieved her dreams. This vlog came on the heels of Lindsay Cummings posting a similar crying vlog about hitting #1 in the New York Times, which performed very well on YouTube. In Kristen's imitation vlog, she doesn't mention that she hit this "milestone" by discounting her books as a limited-time offer in lowly populated subcategories. I firmly believe this entire vlog was the beginning of her shift from a writer to a "creative entrepreneur" as she knew impressionable young people would want to have the same happy-tears "I DID IT!" moment.
  • She gives out advice on writing while being a complete disaster of a writer herself. I've punished myself by reading all of her books and they are all genuinely terrible, and I truly mean that as objectively as possible: they are Very Poorly Done. Fun fact, I read her first series while still a fan of hers, and I was so blinded with admiration and impressed at her speed/dedication/put-together-ness that I ignored how these stories were an absolute disaster. Beyond glaring plot and character issues, her books are not edited. I repeat: this "professional author" doesn't edit her works. Loose v lose, breath v breathe, and a constant flubbing of idioms are all present in her work. Basic, easy stuff.
  • Offers a $3,000 writing program called Valiance to guide writers through the "entire" process, including publication. Note: Kristen is a self-published author with exactly zero traditional publishing experience. When marketing this course at the beginning of every video she posted for 6+ months, she talks about "investing in yourself" and implies, repeatedly, that anyone unwilling to do something like Valiance just doesn't have the drive. Note that this course is a "self-study" course. In other words? Kristen wrote up a guide to writing and self-publishing a book (content that's readily available online for free from more reputable sources) and is charging $3,000 to see this write-up.
  • Is starting a new program for "creative entrepreneurs" that has yet to be released. This course will undoubtedly follow in the footsteps of Valiance, as it's also a "self-study" course. It's another basic write-up about how to "generate passive income online."
  • Participates in Kaila Walker's "writing retreats." These are excursions out of the country. The first one was in Bali. The latest one is going to be in Greece. These retreats are to encourage female writers to pursue their dreams. Kaila Walker has never published a book. These courses are $4,000 and don't include airfare.
  • Likely has a full-time job as a salesperson in the Oil/Gas industry in Houston and hides this fact*. At the beginning of her YouTube channel, she discussed this at length, because it was a point of pride that she could write books in 3 months and still work 40+ hours per week at her job. Nowadays? She deletes any comments asking about her day job. She is pretending everything she has, including a new detached home in an affluent suburb, a luxury SUV, and all of her lifestyle stuff, is because of her "creative endeavors." This is to build the impression on her young fans that they can achieve her lifestyle if they spend the money on her courses.
* I will say, just to keep things less blindly furious (because I'm chalk full of that with her scamming shit), that there's a chance she's not still employed at her day job. Nevertheless, this job, which likely paid six figures because of her position and the industry in question, is what afforded her to pursue things like writing, podcasting, filming, etcetera. She "achieved" home ownership, car ownership, and her entire lifestyle long before she began YouTube. She would never admit it, because that ruins her image as a "self-made independent author."

CartmansMom
Learner
Learner
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by CartmansMom »

Before i have a say about scammer KM

Something about the authortube community has been bugging the shit out of me lately, and this is a lot to do with some of them thinking they are on some JK level. Setting up writing courses, or courses in general or something to get money from the consumer. This Patreon trend, what is this? I know you gotta hustle and make a buck but fuck really? It's a massive dick tease. 'Oh come over on my patreon and see this blah blah' How about you just provide us with it for free, seeing as most of your fan base probably supports you anyway by buying your books.
I also don't like how a lot of them are offering stuff like, first chapter critiques, editing - Professional shit. YOU GOT ONE BOOK, MAYBE TWO....You're still a baby in the literary world.

I like two A-tubers and that's Natalia Leigh, she seems super genuine and down to earth and honest with her struggles. Alexa Donne, she doesn't pussy food around when it comes to truth's about being traditionally published.

Ones i used to like but aren't on my radar now are; Kim Chance, she's lovely she is a real gem but her videos are the same as the rest and she speaks to her audience like we are 12. Bethany Atazadeh, something about her makes me feel like she is fake and quite big headed especially with her little bit of success she's gained this past 6 months. Mandi Lynn... I actually never liked her and she is a KM's wannabe.
Kaila walker whatever the fuck she is, KM's sidekick.

I was in her group on FB with genuine high hopes that i would meet a bunch of writers who i could make friends with, get some critique. But i spent my time surrounded by wannabe's who want to make money before writing. Self obsessed followers who went on that retreat.

YES - All those gals that went on that retreat, okay maybe two or three are fake as them. Even those that didn't go and suck ass. I got one on my insta, who is doing a giveaway for KM self help book. I can't even take these minions seriously.
What's this trend where they feel the need to do courses and podcasts that are all about finding inner balance and your tribe. The community is grating on me and its one of the reasons why i am not active in it, i just do me.
Its clicky, false, and they all review each other's book FIVE STARS - Why lie?

OKAY. So KM..... Firstly i was sucked in. I started to write more in 2016 on my blog, then got serious about writing a book and not just write one and tuck it away. I came across KM's channel on YT, as you do - She's everywhere (And Jenna Moreci) I liked her, i do believe if you set all of the issues aside she probably is a nice girl.
Then it came to being wowed by her ability to write a book in three months! I am here to call that shit out because she sugar coats this and a few times she has given the impression that she writes, edits, etc and publishes in three months. That's always been the impression with a lot of her fans as well. Last year i think she did a video with Kaila about it, because she gets asked alot. Her answer was that it takes three months but not including the edits etc. I don't believe that for one second! I know i can't judge anyone's creative process but her writing is bad, her books are badly edited and her self help book was a hot mess. That was a rushed book! So idk what to believe. Anyone can write a first draft quickly but the stuff after it takes time, i mean say you've got an editor - You've gotta work on deadlines with them, or a cover artist they might be booked. i don't know how it all works though to a tee because i am not on that side of it.

-Her courses. K honestly, stop encouraging her whoever you are. I really can't deal with this! SHE is not credible enough to be throwing out 3k courses or being a special guest on a fucking writers retreat. For that price as well, i would of expected to be on a retreat for a few weeks get my money worth.

-As above mentioned about being a best seller. Nobody takes that seriously if its in some sub sub sub sub sub category. Her books don't rake in that many reviews, unless she deletes them. IDK if you can do that, but a few reviewers might of mentioned fake reviews or was that Jenna Moreci?? I can't keep up.
-Her job either is part time or she fucked up, quit and over estimated her success and lives off 30 credit cards. Either way, if you were able to be successful like that why would you not want to help a fellow out and go through that process? It's a big achievement, or have i got to pay 3k.

Also, nobody gives a fuck about your hair KM.

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

CartmansMom wrote:a few reviewers might of mentioned fake reviews or was that Jenna Moreci?? I can't keep up.
I can't speak for Jenna (I think I heard rumblings on Twitter that she had been caught with fake reviews on Amazon?) but Kristen does in fact have fake reviews on most of her books on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2 ... iew_page=1

She's likely doing it herself, as there aren't an abundance of fakes, just a handful. She can fake 8-10 email addresses easily. Hell, she can probably fake 20-30.

CartmansMom
Learner
Learner
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by CartmansMom »

smokingandangry wrote:
CartmansMom wrote:a few reviewers might of mentioned fake reviews or was that Jenna Moreci?? I can't keep up.
I can't speak for Jenna (I think I heard rumblings on Twitter that she had been caught with fake reviews on Amazon?) but Kristen does in fact have fake reviews on most of her books on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2 ... iew_page=1

She's likely doing it herself, as there aren't an abundance of fakes, just a handful. She can fake 8-10 email addresses easily. Hell, she can probably fake 20-30.

Damn that was an interesting read. How tiring it must be to have fake accounts and reviews made up! I like the points in all of those comments, she has hardly any Amazon reviews, but then again she makes no effort on her behalf and i bet she hasn't even given ARC copies out. I don't ever see promotions on her IG, the odd picture. I would never of known she wrote those books if i just came across her IG. What happened to the gal that loved writing, going to signings? Now it's just one big money making scheme with her when she could of put more effort into perfecting her craft and writing better books.

I was curious as well to see her ranking in the amazon categories of her latest book >>

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #593,315 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1693 in Kindle Store > Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
#3761 in Kindle Store > Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Low Fantasy
#3775 in Kindle Store > Books > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy

I don't know if rankings are important though? But i guess they are if you want to become that 'best seller'

lemon cakes
Talker
Talker
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by lemon cakes »

As awful as her self-help book was, I hope she goes in that direction or the "how to live a productive life" direction she's been making videos about and gets the hell out of fiction writing. I feel like she and her minions give self-publishing such a bad name.

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

lemon cakes wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:10 pm
As awful as her self-help book was, I hope she goes in that direction or the "how to live a productive life" direction she's been making videos about and gets the hell out of fiction writing. I feel like she and her minions give self-publishing such a bad name.
I think this is very likely. She's way more about the business than about the art of her work and I'm sure she recognizes she has to broaden her scope to broaden her audience. She already doesn't call herself an author on her instagram, but a "business coach." Tomorrow she's hosting a webinar on "making it as a creative entrepreneur." The word "author" seems to be a no-go for her lately.

Some of the 12+ comments she deleted on her last video asked specifically about her writing and her books, too. One person asked directly, "Are you moving in a different direction than a YA author?" and that was scrubbed right away. The only comments remaining are purely, entirely praise for her and the video. Nothing else. In fact, looking at it now, every single question that was asked was hidden. That's kind of crazy. You'd think it'd be more work to hide/delete/scour your comments than it would to answer the super common questions you get asked all the time (stuff like "are you still working a day job?" and "how's editing your stuff from nanowrimo?" and "do you have advice for writing X?"). I'm sure she does this under the guise of "my channel is a safe positive space only!!!" but that's so disingenuous it's infuriating.

FreeTommy_

Post by FreeTommy_ »

Did anyone else attend KM's 'training' webinar? It was predictably nothing but a few vague bullet points about making sure you really know your passion, yourself and your niche before embarking on anything (duh, that's common sense), a mention of it being important to be brave enough to start and never stop paying for business coaches, even if you don't THINK you have the money for it (go into debt to pay for my boat, bitches!) - she even did a whole slideshow on how much the average person spends per year on coffee and said that by going without your coffee for a year, you can afford her new course (not joking) - and then the bulk of it was her running through all the stuff you get in her new course, every aspect of which she hilariously over-values ($500 for a 30 minute skype call with her holiness LMAO). And she had the nerve to call that training.

I noticed a lot of people asking her if she still has her corporate job and she scrolled past all of them when answering questions at the end. To me, it's clear she has either only just quit the job or has reduced her hours and still works there. In her vlogs, you rarely see what she's doing during working hours. It's always on weekdays or at night. She even recently accidentally said something about being bummed that Monday came around so soon. Um... if you're self-employed, what difference do specific days of the week make? In her nano vlogs, she turned the camera on no earlier than around 6-7pm every day. We know she only writes her books during nanowrimo, so what's she doing duing work hours if she's not at work, and if she really is free to do whatever she likes because she's self-employed, why not film it and talk about it to support the validity of her business? I bet she'll start putting fake timestamps on her vlogs now, to make it seem like they're filmed earlier. At least in the summer she can, so she won't be given away by the darkness outside.

She's also now claiming her master's degree is in engineering, when before she alway said it was in supply chain management. Why lie about that, unless it's to make herself appear less dense than her books do?

I think she's dropped the 'writer' act because it wasn't profitable. She's not offering Valiance anymore. I know part of that is so she can try to drum up hype for when she reopens it in the future but why would she end a course that makes her over 100k per year, as she claimed in the webinar? Who suddenly doesn't need 100k anymore? It failed, which is why she's changing direction, which is why I believe she still has her corporate job. What is she living off of now, if she's just launched her newest scam and closed her old one? Either daddy is giving her pocket money (I'm pretty sure he bought her house for her because she was saying in her early videos that the house was already bought so she didn't have any mortgage on it, and she got her first job in 2010, took a few years - let's say til 2013 - to start earning 100k, and by 2015 the house was paid off? Doesn't compute) or she's reduced her work hours. Only a few months ago she was still posting instastories about having to go for business meetings and getting stuck in traffic because of it - this was months after she published her self-help book in which she clearly manipulated the reader into believing she was fully self-employed by then. I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. I wish people would bombard her with the question about her coporate job, to the extent she couldn't ignore it, because in the context of her new course, it MATTERS whether or not she's still working there and how long it took for her to leave that job if she has. People will want to know this because not only will it give them a rough guide as to what to expect to get out of the course themselves, it also proves she's achieved what she's promising to help others achieve. It's a vital piece of information that her entire 'business' rests on. But every time it gets brought up, there's radio silence. Speaks volumes, to me.

FreeTommy_

Post by FreeTommy_ »

Weekends or at night* oops.

lemon cakes
Talker
Talker

Post by lemon cakes »

Kristen Martin still has her corporate job, her job lets her from home.

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

FreeTommy_ wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am
she even did a whole slideshow on how much the average person spends per year on coffee and said that by going without your coffee for a year, you can afford her new course (not joking) - and then the bulk of it was her running through all the stuff you get in her new course, every aspect of which she hilariously over-values ($500 for a 30 minute skype call with her holiness LMAO). And she had the nerve to call that training.
ok that's actually hilarious because that's one of the first sales-person "tricks" we teach in the business, the coffee scenario. her day job is not only funding her lifestyle, but is giving her the talking points for selling unnecessary and expensive products to an impressionable audience.

how much did the webinar cost?? was it free? i didn't even look into attending because i assumed it'd be like $200 or something...

and i wonder how many people attended that were let down.
FreeTommy_ wrote:
I noticed a lot of people asking her if she still has her corporate job and she scrolled past all of them when answering questions at the end. To me, it's clear she has either only just quit the job or has reduced her hours and still works there. In her vlogs, you rarely see what she's doing during working hours. It's always on weekdays or at night. She even recently accidentally said something about being bummed that Monday came around so soon. Um... if you're self-employed, what difference do specific days of the week make? In her nano vlogs, she turned the camera on no earlier than around 6-7pm every day. We know she only writes her books during nanowrimo, so what's she doing duing work hours if she's not at work, and if she really is free to do whatever she likes because she's self-employed, why not film it and talk about it to support the validity of her business? I bet she'll start putting fake timestamps on her vlogs now, to make it seem like they're filmed earlier. At least in the summer she can, so she won't be given away by the darkness outside.
she 100% still has her job. she is claiming in her marketing of the "Elevate" program that she doesn't, but she's completely full of it. i am absolutely positive she has that job still. like you said, she only shows clips in the evenings on weekdays, and there's no possible way i would ever believe she spends an entire day working on "creative entrepreneur" efforts. she doesn't even write books anymore, so that's not something that could suck up all her daylight hours. no. she's working a regular ass 9-5.
FreeTommy_ wrote:
She's also now claiming her master's degree is in engineering, when before she alway said it was in supply chain management. Why lie about that, unless it's to make herself appear less dense than her books do?
i think she's trying to throw people off the scent of her industry and "previous" position. to the layman "supply chain" could mean almost anything, but based on the context of her position and where she lives, she 100% works in the oil/gas industry. it's purely calculated, like everything is with her, to distance herself from that.
FreeTommy_ wrote:
I wish people would bombard her with the question about her coporate job, to the extent she couldn't ignore it, because in the context of her new course, it MATTERS whether or not she's still working there and how long it took for her to leave that job if she has. People will want to know this because not only will it give them a rough guide as to what to expect to get out of the course themselves, it also proves she's achieved what she's promising to help others achieve. It's a vital piece of information that her entire 'business' rests on. But every time it gets brought up, there's radio silence. Speaks volumes, to me.
i 100% agree. it's one of the biggest red flags identifying her as a scammer that she is ignoring this part of her "creative business owner" story.
lemon cakes wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 pm
this would make the most sense. even before she was hiding her day job, she very often would go into work at like, 10-11am and leave the office at like 3-4pm, and I always found that a little puzzling. it'd make sense that she's in a position where she doesn't have to go into the office every day.

also, the timing of her success lines up with the timing of her getting a promotion at work. which she's scrubbed off the internet, of course, but i'd been following her for years and saw it when it came through. she got a big promotion at work and was super, duper excited, because it meant "a lot" more money (her words). i'd also be willing to bet it meant a lot more freedom. she's using that freedom to push this image of someone who "works for themselves." ugh

her video today was also so :roll: because of her constantly saying stuff like, "so many people have signed up for elevate!" yeah...of course...sure they did!

FreeTommy_

Post by FreeTommy_ »

lemon cakes wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 pm
Thanks! That explains a lot.

FreeTommy_

Post by FreeTommy_ »

ok that's actually hilarious because that's one of the first sales-person "tricks" we teach in the business, the coffee scenario. her day job is not only funding her lifestyle, but is giving her the talking points for selling unnecessary and expensive products to an impressionable audience.

how much did the webinar cost?? was it free? i didn't even look into attending because i assumed it'd be like $200 or something...

and i wonder how many people attended that were let down.
Oh lol. So the webinar was even lazier than I thought. It was a free, hour long infomercial for her new course, completely void of training or any substance, just like 'be your own #goals' was an infomercial for Valiance. She still dressed it up like she was providing us with something priceless that we should be thankful for, because any time she spends talking at her 'fans' as she calls them, is a gift from God.
At the end of the webinar, one girl asked in the chat if any of us planned to buy the course, and from what I saw, no one responded, so I'm guessing she's going to struggle with this scam too. Thankfully people aren't as stupid as she thinks. She doesn't realize she doesn't share a following with Cara Alwill Leyba - thousands of rich, directionless socialites desperate to throw their money at the closest person who will bleat recycled common sense at them and dress it up as spiritual wisdom - no, KM's followers are 12-year-old school kids who think Shadow Crown is the standard for good fantasy writing, and the odd foreigner who wants to achieve the American dream and doesn't know any better because of the language barrier.

i think she's trying to throw people off the scent of her industry and "previous" position. to the layman "supply chain" could mean almost anything, but based on the context of her position and where she lives, she 100% works in the oil/gas industry. it's purely calculated, like everything is with her, to distance herself from that.
Oh! That makes sense. Working in the gas and oil industry is in direct conflict with her fake new environmentally conscious image. I can't believe she'd go to the extent of lying about her master's degree just to uphold this facade. What would she say to anyone who catches her offguard with questions about it? How does she face her own friends and family who can see the extent she's manipulating facts, just for money? Is she not embarrassed? She must really care about money and nothing else. She doesn't really give a shit about the environment of course, as she still lives the lifestyle of a typical rich Texan, and eats meat a year after claiming she was going vegan. She deletes all comments asking about her not being vegan anymore instead of just owning the fact she can't stick to it. What's wrong with just saying 'I decided not to pursue veganism?'
Everything is for show and if any piece of reality creeps in and questions the authenticity of what she preaches, she just blocks and deletes. What a sheltered way to live your life. She preaches personal growth but directly opposes anything that would necessitate it.
And she exploits her 'precancerous cells story' as if it's some phoenix rising from the ashes-type shit. I'm sorry but precancerous cells =/= cancer. My sister in law had the same thing late last year. She went and had the procedure to remove them and got on with her life. Precancerous cells in the uterous are very common and easily removable. People see 'precancerous' and think omg, cancer! It's not. If left untreated for years and years, those cells have the potential to turn cancerous, but that's still not even a certainty. Of course I have sympathy for those who are diagnosed with them but it's not cancer and it's not a life or death situation that KM is making out that it was, just to get potential clients to empathise with her, sucker them in and have them buy her stuff. Exploiting cancer to sell your brand is sick.

i 100% agree. it's one of the biggest red flags identifying her as a scammer that she is ignoring this part of her "creative business owner" story.
Right? She's selling what she hasn't managed to attain, herself. Is that not fraud?
also, the timing of her success lines up with the timing of her getting a promotion at work. which she's scrubbed off the internet, of course, but i'd been following her for years and saw it when it came through. she got a big promotion at work and was super, duper excited, because it meant "a lot" more money (her words). i'd also be willing to bet it meant a lot more freedom. she's using that freedom to push this image of someone who "works for themselves." ugh
Yes! You're so right. I remember her saying she's not ready to leave her job yet, as there was a promotion she was working toward, and that was not long before Valiance. I haven't looked to see if her work history is still online but I wouldn't be surprised if she's had anything that exposes her lies removed. Also, she said in her webinar that Valiance isn't available at the moment (to lend it a false air of exclusivity) but she's still linking it in the downbar of her videos. Lol. Obviously doesn't want to lose out on the few clients who might still trickle in. I doubt anyone will, though.
her video today was also so :roll: because of her constantly saying stuff like, "so many people have signed up for elevate!" yeah...of course...sure they did!
Lmao yeah. The type of people who would buy that course are the people who went on Kaila Walker's Bali retreat. If I remember correctly, Kaila extended the sign-up period for that because they struggled to get even 8 people in the timeframe they expected. But sure, hordes of rich entrepreneurs are racing out of the woodwork to support the hilariously overpriced ego trip of someone with zero credentials. Because entrepreneurs are known for not bothering to research their business ventures first. Not.

FreeTommy_

Post by FreeTommy_ »

Sorry but for some reason, when I try to directly quote people on here, it comes up as invalid.
Something about the authortube community has been bugging the shit out of me lately, and this is a lot to do with some of them thinking they are on some JK level. Setting up writing courses, or courses in general or something to get money from the consumer. This Patreon trend, what is this? I know you gotta hustle and make a buck but fuck really? It's a massive dick tease. 'Oh come over on my patreon and see this blah blah' How about you just provide us with it for free, seeing as most of your fan base probably supports you anyway by buying your books.
I also don't like how a lot of them are offering stuff like, first chapter critiques, editing - Professional shit. YOU GOT ONE BOOK, MAYBE TWO....You're still a baby in the literary world.

I like two A-tubers and that's Natalia Leigh, she seems super genuine and down to earth and honest with her struggles. Alexa Donne, she doesn't pussy food around when it comes to truth's about being traditionally published.

Ones i used to like but aren't on my radar now are; Kim Chance, she's lovely she is a real gem but her videos are the same as the rest and she speaks to her audience like we are 12. Bethany Atazadeh, something about her makes me feel like she is fake and quite big headed especially with her little bit of success she's gained this past 6 months. Mandi Lynn... I actually never liked her and she is a KM's wannabe.
Kaila walker whatever the fuck she is, KM's sidekick.

I was in her group on FB with genuine high hopes that i would meet a bunch of writers who i could make friends with, get some critique. But i spent my time surrounded by wannabe's who want to make money before writing. Self obsessed followers who went on that retreat.

YES - All those gals that went on that retreat, okay maybe two or three are fake as them. Even those that didn't go and suck ass. I got one on my insta, who is doing a giveaway for KM self help book. I can't even take these minions seriously.
What's this trend where they feel the need to do courses and podcasts that are all about finding inner balance and your tribe. The community is grating on me and its one of the reasons why i am not active in it, i just do me.
Its clicky, false, and they all review each other's book FIVE STARS - Why lie?

-Her courses. K honestly, stop encouraging her whoever you are. I really can't deal with this! SHE is not credible enough to be throwing out 3k courses or being a special guest on a fucking writers retreat. For that price as well, i would of expected to be on a retreat for a few weeks get my money worth.
-Her job either is part time or she fucked up, quit and over estimated her success and lives off 30 credit cards. Either way, if you were able to be successful like that why would you not want to help a fellow out and go through that process?
Her "success" is bullshit. Why would she value her writing course at 2k, sell it for a year for 2k and claim she made 100k from it, and then bring out a new course that she values at over 5k but only sell it for 1k? If her writing course truly brought in 100k, she'd be selling her business course for more, not less. She's dropped the price because she knows Valiance failed because of the price (among other things) and wants to give this course a better shot at success. I don't believe she made even 20k from Valiance.

About the Authortubers that think they're Stephen King - Lol. They act like their youtube channels are more than just marketing tools. They don't really care about providing good, honest advice to help others, they want to put out content that will get the most views and exposure for their books. That's completely fine, and a good way to market themselves. But acting like they're God's gift and they're sacrificing so much for us lowly peasants and we need to thank them twice by not only buying their (almost always shit) books, but by paying them $10 per month (THE PRICE OF A FUCKING BOOK PER MONTH) for them gracing us with their egotistical presence... Um no. Anyone who falls for that is an idiot. I will never sign up to a Patreon account and give these lazy bastards an excuse to not work hard at their craft in order to survive. That makes them complacent and the quality of their books even worse. Besides, I'm not their mother. If they want extra money, they should provide a legit service that they have the experience AND credentials to offer. Mandi Lynn doing an authortube course? SERIOUSLY? She's got to be the longest running authortuber with the slowest rate of growth. The quality of her videos has lately been improved, but it's still shit. She slurs her words constantly like she can't be assed to be in front of the camera, she speaks down to her audience (like Kim Chance does), and she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. Her books read like an elementary school kid's draft zero.

I agree on Natalia Leigh. She's among the most genuine on Authortube and seems to not be in a race to make a quick buck, and really cares about her craft. I hope she makes it.

Alexa Donne... POLITICAL RANT AND VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION AHEAD - I started off liking her a lot. I love her blunt attitude and the fact she seems to be able to at least write to the standard required to get an agent (which most of the self-publishing crew cannot). But I watch her less and less now, because a few things she's said about white people have rubbed me the wrong way. I know it's all the rage to hate on white people now, and make out like having white skin makes your opinion on anything entirely void, but that's such a shallow way of thinking and she doesn't need to bring that shit into videos about writing. Diversity is about so much more than just skin color. I don't click her videos to get preached at. She can believe anything she likes, but why alienate probably more than half her viewership by insulting them and bringing politics into her videos? I want to learn about traditional publishing, not the exact position between Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Crazy-Bitch Cortez she fits into on the political spectrum. That being said, I respect her, and will continue to watch occasionally, but if she carries on virtue-signalling, I'm not interested.
I realize my opinions are not widely accepted (having read a lot of comments on booktube on the subject of forced diversity) but fuck it. I don't accept racism against me just because the person being racist is also white. Go fucking publicly flog yourself if you hate being white that much. Just don't try to drag others down with your self-hatred. /END RANT.

Bethany Atazadeh... I like her. I do get the vibe you mentioned, about her seeming a little conceited but maybe she just comes across the wrong way. At the moment, she seems sweet and not too scammy (Patreon aside). She can write and her new retellings sound interesting. If she takes the KM route, I will definitely change my opinion and stop watching. One thing I liked about her was the fact she wrote an extremely blunt and honest 1* review of KM's Shadow Crown on Amazon. She was the only Authortuber I'd seen calling KM out and I liked her a lot for that, but a few days later it was deleted. I understand the need to not ruffle feathers in that community since they're all so cliquey and my respect for her remains that she's not just a blind follower of KM's shit.

Kaila Walker is a joke. You hit the nail on the head with 'KM's sidekick.' Her videos mostly entail her awkwardly reciting bastardized old pieces of common sense (dressed up as groundbreaking spiritual theories she's gathered from self-help books and seminars), and verbally stumbling all over the place, trying to put a point across that she doesn't seem to even understand herself. And at the end she looks so pleased with herself as if she's just reinvented the fucking wheel. It's painful. I can't wait to read her book, if she ever publishes it.

lemon cakes
Talker
Talker

Post by lemon cakes »

FreeTommy_ wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 am
Alexa Donne... POLITICAL RANT AND VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION AHEAD - I started off liking her a lot. I love her blunt attitude and the fact she seems to be able to at least write to the standard required to get an agent (which most of the self-publishing crew cannot). But I watch her less and less now, because a few things she's said about white people have rubbed me the wrong way. I know it's all the rage to hate on white people now, and make out like having white skin makes your opinion on anything entirely void, but that's such a shallow way of thinking and she doesn't need to bring that shit into videos about writing. Diversity is about so much more than just skin color. I don't click her videos to get preached at. She can believe anything she likes, but why alienate probably more than half her viewership by insulting them and bringing politics into her videos? I want to learn about traditional publishing, not the exact position between Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Crazy-Bitch Cortez she fits into on the political spectrum. That being said, I respect her, and will continue to watch occasionally, but if she carries on virtue-signalling, I'm not interested.
I realize my opinions are not widely accepted (having read a lot of comments on booktube on the subject of forced diversity) but fuck it. I don't accept racism against me just because the person being racist is also white. Go fucking publicly flog yourself if you hate being white that much. Just don't try to drag others down with your self-hatred. /END RANT.
I stopped watching her for awhile because of this, too. Though, I recently started watching her “writing a thriller” videos, but I’m still unsubscribed. honestly, the videos are pretty meh. All she talks about is how much she hates outlining. So not sure if I’ll continue with the series, but I really liked her until she went into I hate white people mode.
FreeTommy_ wrote:
Bethany Atazadeh... I like her. One thing I liked about her was the fact she wrote an extremely blunt and honest 1* review of KM's Shadow Crown on Amazon. She was the only Authortuber I'd seen calling KM out and I liked her a lot for that, but a few days later it was deleted. I understand the need to not ruffle feathers in that community since they're all so cliquey and my respect for her remains that she's not just a blind follower of KM's shit.
I just recently discovered her and she comes off as genuine. As far as paetreon, I feel like that might be the future of self-publishing—or a part of the future of self- publishing. I’m starting to see more and more self-published authors use paetreon or crowdfunding as a platform to generate income for writing.
FreeTommy_ wrote:
Kaila Walker is a joke. You hit the nail on the head with 'KM's sidekick.' Her videos mostly entail her awkwardly reciting bastardized old pieces of common sense (dressed up as groundbreaking spiritual theories she's gathered from self-help books and seminars), and verbally stumbling all over the place, trying to put a point across that she doesn't seem to even understand herself. And at the end she looks so pleased with herself as if she's just reinvented the fucking wheel. It's painful. I can't wait to read her book, if she ever publishes it.
This b*tch has no shame! Seriously during Kristen’s authortube writing retreat, all the authors stood their books next to one another on Kristen’s desk and they all gathered behind their books for a picture, and Kaila had to make a mock cover of her “future” book that has yet to be published. She put the cover/paper on a paperback and put it next to the other books. It was embarrassing. I’ll see if I can get a screen shot.

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

i've got some tea this morning. i decided to run numbers to prove that kristen definitely totally makes six figures from her online businesses. like, totally, you guys. it's all really simple math, as long as you estimate the absolute maximum number from every possible venture. except, JK, she doesn't even get close.

let's see...
  • 1. youtube.
    social blade, which i know isn't always 100% accurate, is reporting that her maximum yearly take-home is around $2200. let's be very generous, assume every video is monetized, and that every viewer watches the ads and bump it up to $2500.
    socialblade.png
max income: $2,500/year
  • 2. sponsorships.
    so occasionally kristen will talk about some product or service. book boxes, planners, etc. in my personal experience, these companies don't actually pay cash for sponsorships, but instead provide you with free products and then commission based on any sales you send their way. again, let's be very generous round up her average monthly view count based on the last 12 months, which is ~4,900. We'll say it's 5,000. a knock-it-out-of-the-park return on these affiliates is 1 sale for every 50 views (and that's nearly unheard of, but we're being generous here), so that'd put her at 100 sales each video. and let's take the most expensive product she gets a commission from, erin condren planners, which pay a 10% commission. their planners are around $55, which means she earns $5.50.

100 x $5.50 = $550 for each video she puts out. $550 x 63 (the number of videos she did in the last year) = $34,650. we'll just round that to $35,000. and again, there's no possible way her earnings are even remotely close to this, but we're living in a fantasy world rn, so bear with me.
max income: $35,000/year
  • 3. valiance.
    "we have no way of knowing how much she earned!" you may say. well, I found the facebook group, and it has 13 members, and two of those are Kaila and Kristen. so she sold 11 valiance memberships (though you can estimate that there may be one or two more people in the group that didn't pay for their placement, but who knows). we'll go ahead and assume she earned the maximum from each of these people, $3,000, though if you paid for the whole course up front, it was like, $2,200 or something? whatever. this is fantasy math, and in fantasy math, you take the absolute maximum! always!
    valiancemembers.png
    $3,000 x 11 = $33,000
max income: $33,000/year
  • 4. her books.
    oh yeah. she's an authortuber. was? whatever. she's definitely a legit author so she definitely makes money from her books. ahem...

the math here is going to be even fuzzier than the previous groups because she runs sales and stuff, and no one but the author on the dashboard of each site can see how many copies sold of the product. we're gonna just...generously guess. on amazon, the cost to buy her books digitally is $36.96. the amazon selling calculator estimates that she sells an average of 1 book per month (and I used her best-ranked book, Shadow Crown). but we're in fantasy math! let's go ahead and bump that to once weekly, she sells all her books.
    kindlesales.png
    $36.96 x 52 = $1,921.92.

but! she also sells signed hard copies! the total for someone to buy every signed hard copy she has is $175. we'll go ahead and say that somehow, magically, she sells just as many of these as she does of the Kindle books.

$175 x 52 = $9,100. $9,100 + $1,921.92 = $11,021.92. we'll round that to $12,000.
max income: $12,000/year

what does that mean?

her absolute and very generous maximum earnings sits around $82,500.

it's possible i've forgotten one of her ventures in the last year. did she charge for the "book tour" she went on? whatever. in fantasy math, we can round up, and 82k totally rounds up to 100k. she is definitely making six figures a year with her online business. definitely! :roll:

in addition to all this, while i was screen capping stuff, i noticed that in her valiance group, she tells the members not to tag her in questions. that shit blows my mind. she's charging these people three grand for her expertise, but they aren't allowed to reach out when they have questions. what the actual fuck?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “BookTube”