Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

Post by larrie »

it's so funny reading all the speculation about phil being asexual or bisexual now in hindsight. LOL

Triple_Axel
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Triple_Axel »

Not gonna lie, I was pretty surprised when I received a notification saying Phil's video was a coming out one. I wasn't expecting much from him, if at all, but that was really good! It was very him; short, funny, but also perceptive at times. He didn't divulge a ton of personal information nor did he have a big backstory. But it's his story, and something that a great deal of people will relate to for sure. He shared some pretty interesting things like knowing he was attracted to the same sex from a young age and coming out to people never stops. Like he said, he hopes it will help, and tbh I'm really happy that someone I've been following for all these years is finally comfortable sharing something so fundamental with his audience. I don't think this marks a new chapter with more mature content coming from him, but this was still important.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

phil, i'm very happy that you came out, but you could've waited for this thread to get to the next part so we didn't have to rethink of a title.
danisnotstraight and neitherisphil
on a more serious note, i'm glad it ends the whole "phil is asexual" thing. just because someone is pg doesn't make them asexual.
i don't think phil's content will change in any way. even his coming out video was very on brand. he just won't have to hide stories that involve his sexuality.
it also proves the point that his obsession with sarah michelle gellar is the typical "gay guy pretends to be attracted to the it girl of the time to pass as straight". jennifer lawrence was the answer a couple years back, idk who that'd be nowadays tbh
The Internet knows all your secrets

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

illegal_mind wrote: on a more serious note, i'm glad it ends the whole "phil is asexual" thing. just because someone is pg doesn't make them asexual.
Preach

Also:

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Ghostie_
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Ghostie_ »

I’m so happy he could come out! I love that they don’t feel the need to hide anymore. <3
Just your friendly neighbourhood bitch

BunTheMarkiBunny
Learner
Learner

Post by BunTheMarkiBunny »

illegal_mind wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm
phil, i'm very happy that you came out, but you could've waited for this thread to get to the next part so we didn't have to rethink of a title.
I feel like the next title should be called "DanIsNotStraight and AmazingGay" so the amazing is still in there like the other titles :)
Hi :HK:
I haven't been on here in like 4 years omg
PLEASE ignore my username i made it when i was younger

Nhian
Talker
Talker

Post by Nhian »

Controversial. I preferred Phil’s coming out video to Dan’s. Maybe because my experience is similar to Phil’s so I can relate.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

I'm so happy that both of them feel comfortable enough to come out. I honestly didn't expect one of them to come out, never mind both of them within the same month.

marmar22
Learner
Learner

Post by marmar22 »

from the dawn of time i’ve been hearing Phil is bi (mostly hetero) and that Dan is straight up gay never even seen a woman in his life and it’s the other way around (i realize dan is mostly gay but u get it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nhian
Talker
Talker

Post by Nhian »

Can someone please tell the tumblr children that not every coming out experience is traumatic. Phil is clearly someone who has been out for a long time and has very little reservations about addressing is sexuality (especially now that Dan’s out). He is a fully grown man, you do not need to treat him like a baby!

Nessarose_WWotE
Learner
Learner

Post by Nessarose_WWotE »

Wow...first Dan, now Phil...and both during Pride Month. I, just like a lot of people, NEVER expected either of them to open up in this lifetime (esp. Phil, since he's fiercely private). I thought they'd keep quiet to their grave. I could be knocked over with a feather rn, tbh. I really don't have any words to say...except that I'm really happy for and proud of them for finally feeling comfortable enough to talk about it.

TeenageTalk
Talker
Talker

Post by TeenageTalk »

I agree with you smarties, it was such a Phil video <3. While Dan's video made me cry, Phil had me smiling and laughing. It definitely reminded me why I liked him in the first place.

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

That sponsored video where they try dating apps is triple sad and uncomfortable now that we know Phil was basically out in his social circle at that point.

as-bj93
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by as-bj93 »

Every video posted by Phil is always positive and bright .. i like how he keep his private life but makes you feel like you're one of his friends
his videos are guaranteed to be drama and stress free

videostar
Debater
Debater

Post by videostar »

I liked that Phil's video highlighted that coming out isn't a one time thing, it's a lifelong process for LGBT people, that they constantly assess whenever they meet new people or find themselves in new environments. The first time is often the most scary, because it's friends and family, but it doesn't end there.

I am wondering what pushed them both to come out around the same time. Hopefully it's just that it felt like the right time and they have one another's support in the decision to do so, and not something sinister like an ex-friend or some press contact threatening to out them. I'd hate to think that there has been something rumbling behind the scenes to push them to it.

Moffie
Debater
Debater

Post by Moffie »

I loved Phil's coming out video. Funny, straight to the point, a smidge awkward, but very Phil. I hope this means he's going to shake up his content because it was stale for a long time.

gangstamay_
Learner
Learner

Post by gangstamay_ »

illegal_mind wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm
on a more serious note, i'm glad it ends the whole "phil is asexual" thing. just because someone is pg doesn't make them asexual.
i don't think phil's content will change in any way. even his coming out video was very on brand. he just won't have to hide stories that involve his sexuality.
it also proves the point that his obsession with sarah michelle gellar is the typical "gay guy pretends to be attracted to the it girl of the time to pass as straight". jennifer lawrence was the answer a couple years back, idk who that'd be nowadays tbh
Lmao that's so true, I know like 4 gay people who used to use jennifer lawrence as their 'celebrity crush' before coming out as gay (including dan i believe?). Must be something about her. It's probably someone like margot robbie these days

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

videostar wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 pm
I liked that Phil's video highlighted that coming out isn't a one time thing, it's a lifelong process for LGBT people, that they constantly assess whenever they meet new people or find themselves in new environments. The first time is often the most scary, because it's friends and family, but it doesn't end there.

I am wondering what pushed them both to come out around the same time. Hopefully it's just that it felt like the right time and they have one another's support in the decision to do so, and not something sinister like an ex-friend or some press contact threatening to out them. I'd hate to think that there has been something rumbling behind the scenes to push them to it.
I think Phil has probably be ready to publicly acknowledge it for a long time and was just waiting for Dan to get there. If Phil had gone first, the speculation about Dan would have been rampant.

Anyway, I liked Phil's video a lot. They both felt very *them* and more importantly illustrated how different your experience as a queer person is.

The one thing that doesn't ever get talked about when it comes to LGBT diversity in the media is that diverse experiences are ignored and that same sort of stories are told over and over again in the same sort of ways.

I know that one things that frustrates the hell out of me personally is parental relationships tend to oscillate between absolute "I love you no matter what" and absolute "I have no child" situations when so many people are in various places in-between.

So I really like that these two guys who are so intertwined gave people to very different looks at coming out.

venus19
Lurker
Lurker

Post by venus19 »

(Long time lurker - like since 2014 lol!)

I loved Phil's video!! As someone else said, definitely reminded me of why I liked him :) His story was short but straightforward and I like that he talked about the continuous process of coming out. Honestly, I didn't really expect him to address his sexuality at all in a video so this was pretty surprising! I wonder what inspired them to both come out around the same time.

I also wonder what kind of content to expect from them in the future... ?

Ashbowers
Learner
Learner

Post by Ashbowers »

Can I just say all meanness aside I've watched these guys since I was a teen. Seeing both of them come out as gay felt so weird and made me so strangely happy. I identify with Dans story completely. Knowing the dudes I was watching as a teen struggling with self hatred are also gay makes me feel like I was never as alone as I thought (if that makes sense?). Dans video in particular. We literally have the exact same story. It's weird to hear someone elses story and realize it's exactly your own. Pathetically when Dan said the bit about realizing he was the bad thing and when he talked about sucide I cried cause I remember the moment I realized I was the bad thing and I remember years later almost ending it. These video's meant a lot to me and I'm an adult now. I can't imagine what they are for gay teens. Phils in particular cause it's so hopeful. They're good men.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”