Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

catmeowkun
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

Post by catmeowkun »

I enjoyed Phil's video. It was probably the most entertaining and real video he's put out in a while, and I hope now both D+P are out they might start to feel more at home on YT again. I get that he was probably waiting for Dan to come out first after all he'd been through. Like others have said, if Phil had come out first, it would've only been a short jump to outing Dan, who has clearly had a harder time dealing with the phandom's shipping/harassment and coming out in general due to his past. I know Phil said coming out never really stops and it doesn't, but he has obviously been comfortable in his sexuality for a long time, it's nice that he gave Dan the time and space to get there too. Phil talks about his university experience being a safe space for him, I'm glad that he got to give Dan that too when he clearly really needed it. I imagine if they had never met and Phil had just been a YTer by himself he probably would've come out years ago, as he was out irl and seems to have a good relationship with his family.

I hope that now this is all out in the open that Phil can open up a little more to his audience, I obviously respect that he wants his privacy, but it'd be nice for him to be less of a squeaky clean children's entertainer. He opened up about his teenage years and missing out on things which is something a lot of gay people go through, myself included. It'd be nice to hear him talk about that a bit, or his high school/college experience in general. It'd really help to make his channel feel more solid and less like a stale extension of the D+P brand in 2019.

Last thing I have to say though is to the person who outed him back home though thinking it was a joke, there is a special place in hell for you.

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

It’s nice that Dan and Phil were able to plan this and have Dan go first and obviously supported each other when they planned this. I wonder if Dan filmed the closet bit in Phil’s video and how many takes that took since Phil was already cracking up doing it.

I’m now hoping for a Pride selfie from them.

It may be a gossip forum but I’ve been a DnP fan for a few years (and Dan fan for longer) and I’m glad I choose these two to get attached too. Also explains why they managed to keep out of the whole youtuber sex offender scandal thing. Thank god.

noodlebum
Learner
Learner

Post by noodlebum »

Love Phil, love them both. He was so happy in his video! Love imagining him telling the postman he's gay for no reason (I know was a joke but still). So true how you have to keep coming out your whole life. Bit it must be such a weight off both their shoulders now. Freedom!! No checking what they say or do anymore! The future really looks so good for them both <3

rainbowme
Talker
Talker

Post by rainbowme »

I admit I was wrong about Phil. I genuinely thought he was straight and/or asexual, not gay. He just didn't register on my gaydar at all. Dan pinged loudly and it was always obvious he was gay. Phil on the other hand totally went under the radar. Oh well, the most important thing is that he's out and proud now. It must be a massive weight off his shoulders.

Sent fra min SM-A705FN via Tapatalk

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

rainbowme wrote:I admit I was wrong about Phil. I genuinely thought he was straight and/or asexual, not gay. He just didn't register on my gaydar at all. Dan pinged loudly and it was always obvious he was gay. Phil on the other hand totally went under the radar.

Sent fra min SM-A705FN via Tapatalk
Explains very well why Dan got bullied relentlessly and Phil didn't.

I'll also say that often, people who aren't extraverted or perceived to be less conventionally attractive by the general populace and kind of assumed to not have much going on in the bedroom. But still waters run deep.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

since this place is a bit more active nowadays, we're going back to the old days of voting for the next thread title. so go here and vote for your preferred one:
https://www.strawpoll.me/18253527
The Internet knows all your secrets

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

Someone on twitter edited together the two drawings from Shitty Watercolour, and regardless of anything else, it’s super cute together ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghostie_
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Ghostie_ »

As a bi woman the bit about people saying “as long as you don’t fancy me,” resonated with me. I had a friend stop talking to me over my sexuality because she thought I fancied her...she’s not even close to my type :roll:

Also it’s true what Phil said about how you never really stop coming out to people. You meet people all through life and some of them will take it well, some will take it badly. There’s never a point when you say “oh everyone knows”

The person that outed him is an asshole though. Even if they thought it was a joke it was still a shitty “joke” to make
Just your friendly neighbourhood bitch

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

Ghostie_ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 am

The person that outed him is an asshole though. Even if they thought it was a joke it was still a shitty “joke” to make
I am glad that it wasn't meant maliciously though and that they all still accepted Phil and were friends afterwards. I guess for being outed, it had the 'best' outcome instead of the worst.

Merpedy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Merpedy »

Do they still live together? I haven't been keeping up with them much and I'm happy they were able to come out by choice but I imagine this is every fanfics/shippers dream come true.

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

Merpedy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 am
Do they still live together? I haven't been keeping up with them much and I'm happy they were able to come out by choice but I imagine this is every fanfics/shippers dream come true.
Yeah, it seems they do still live together. Though there are theories saying otherwise x

noodlebum
Learner
Learner

Post by noodlebum »

Merpedy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 am
As far as we know they still do, yep.

It does make me wonder why they've both now decided to come out to their fanbase/Dan's family. Due to them seeing how queer/queer-friendly their fanbase is when touring last year, and how it would help/inspire so many? Length of time on Youtube and being comfortable with how accepting the community is now? Or something more going on in their personal lives like they've broken up/moving house again/engagement?! They're both very private, with Phil not even mentioning Dan in his video, but I don't know... I feel like them both coming out within a couple of weeks of each other seems to be for a reason more than just being ready/it being Pride month. Might be overthinking this though.
I'm very interested&excited to see how Vidcon and the rest of the year pans out anyway! :P

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

Well if I had to guess I would say it was the tour and it being time and them embracing changes and learning the audience would embrace them too like when they both finally changed their hair.

There’s some insight to be had in the mukbang and in Phil’s video about his hair and it seems like they were both scared their audience would drop them if they changed. Not that they changed to be gay but it would be a change to be out. I think they saw that a lot of their audience is young and queer and could really use the encouragement. And I think that’s lovely.

bluerocket1
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bluerocket1 »

Dan wanted to make this video last year but didn’t for many reasons and I think they probably used the time to rethink how they would handle it. Doing this during tour would have been a nightmare and dan wouldn’t have been able to make the kind of video he did.
I think they’ve just been working up to this for a long time and figured that after tour it would be a good time to get more of their personal life back (all of the privacy and lack of live shows, new backgrounds, etc) and that there really hasn’t been any big life changes.
I don’t think they’ve broken up though - they still live together, own irl together, and have travelled together recently - Phil’s birthday at the end of January and to Brighton in April. They also went to Muse at the beginning of June and these are just the things we know about. There’s also Phil’s aunt who is still making dan hats and selling them and she follows him on Instagram so seems like their lives are still pretty connected to me

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

I largely believe they are still together, because of the reasons you guys have already covered in your past messages (not going to repeat it; you said already much better than I could have)

And somehow I think they are planning their future together. I'm not a hardcore shipper in any way. In fact, I dislike people getting too involved into other people's relationships, but somehow their messages and comments on twitter made me think, they plan something big together.

Btw. I should mention it, before someone laughs at me or insults me, but in case it was not obvious: English is my fourth language.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

hagino wrote:
Btw. I should mention it, before someone laughs at me or insults me, but in case it was not obvious: English is my fourth language.
Many people aren't native speakers of English, on the internet in general and here on GG, and I recommend just not mentioning it/worrying about it, because I personally have never witnessed anyone getting attacked in earnest over their English skills or lack thereof. Especially not here, we're a super mixed bunch. That's just getting upset when nothing has even happened yet ^^ Or, as we say in German, concerning yourself with unlaid eggs :D

As for them planning a future together, I think that's highly likely, unless things have dramatically changed.

And I still want them to do that idea where they flip a house!

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

I feel like Dan is to calculated in the way he overthinks to have mentioned Phil at all in his video if they weren’t together. He would know that a certain amount of phans would assume they were together just from the admission that he was gay, and especially knowing that Phil would also publicly come out soon after. It seems like too much of n uncharacteristic oversight to mention Phil in anyway, let alone call him his soulmate and say they were romantically involved if he didn’t want the internet assuming they were together. And he seemed pretty explicit about telling people his opinions on people trying to pry.

So it’s kind of one of two options:
He just doesn’t care anymore (which is likely) and is just going to let people think what they think, or;
That was as much of a confirmation that he wants to give people, because anything beyond that isn’t anyone’s business.

I do feel like they are together. The whole mood of Dan’s video seemed like he would’ve said something alone the lines of “stop shipping Phil and I, you weirdos” if they weren’t together.

ALSO. It seems like a recipe for disaster if Dan called Phil his soul mate and then publicly dated anyone else in the future. The crazy stans would lose their minds. It seems like too much of a massive oversight for someone that spent a year+ planning how to come out. So yeah, I think they’re together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nhian
Talker
Talker

Post by Nhian »

Illogic_ally wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 am
ALSO. It seems like a recipe for disaster if Dan called Phil his soul mate and then publicly dated anyone else in the future. The crazy stans would lose their minds.
Also, could you imagine being in the early stages of dating someone then realising that the called their housemate, business partner and ex their soulmate to an online audience of millions. Idk about you guys but I wouldn’t feel too comfortable about that.

noodlebum
Learner
Learner

Post by noodlebum »

Nhian wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 am
Illogic_ally wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 am
ALSO. It seems like a recipe for disaster if Dan called Phil his soul mate and then publicly dated anyone else in the future. The crazy stans would lose their minds.
Also, could you imagine being in the early stages of dating someone then realising that the called their housemate, business partner and ex their soulmate to an online audience of millions. Idk about you guys but I wouldn’t feel too comfortable about that.
Agreed!

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i think the timing is mostly due to dan.
dan was the one that delayed the coming out by a year because he wasn't ready yet.
i think he wanted to do it around the same time last year because it's pride month, although he could've done it on national coming out day, which is in october. but i think a big part of it was due to him not feeling ready. he hadn't come out to his family until before the video's release, so it's clear he needed to muster up the courage to finally do it.
phil on the other hand, i think he was just waiting for dan.
based on the video it seems phil is more than comfortable with his sexuality for many years. had he and dan not been so heavily involved in each other's lives, phil probably would've come out years ago. but with dan still dealing with his sexuality and still being closeted to his family, i think phil understood it was best to keep his sexuality a secret as well, otherwise the phandom wouldn't have let dan alone until he was basically forced to come out. don't forget that phil was pretty much forced to come out because of that friend of his, so he wouldn't want dan, who clearly had issues coming out to his family, having to deal with his family finding out he's gay through someone else. because chances are, if phil had come out first and dan had been forced out the closet by his family, either the grandma that watches his videos or adrian who was active on tumblr years ago, would've seen it and told the rest of the family.
so i don't think there's any hidden "agenda", i don't think they're planning to reveal they're engaged or any sort of big step in their lives(although the phandom seems obsessed with the fact they're going on a roadtrip to nevada, where same sex marriage is legal...as if it wasn't in all of the usa as well as the uk). i think it was just phil waiting for dan to be ready to come out so he could come out as well
The Internet knows all your secrets

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”