Spooky Lips and Fat Hips

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Spooky Lips and Fat Hips

Post by claradion »

I hate starting this thread because I love her

So THIS is what happens when we decide “pop effect” can mean absolutely anything

Imagepost images

Spooky Lips and Fat Hips called THIS a pop palette and a neutral palette.

I really love SLFH, I think her videos are really interesting and well thought out. I’m always buying things that she likes. I hate this but I was watching her video and screaming the whole time “that’s not a neutral palette!” I don’t think any palette that she reviewed on Whats New In Neutrals was a neutral palette.

Of course I don’t have any problem with her really except that maybe she’s watching Angelica too much, and that she’s friends with Liv.

I’m sure Georgia Harris has done frustrating things too but I’m not interested in her enough. :rofl:

So hopefully if she sees this she won’t take it personally, and be a little more accurate with reviewS. She is an educated woman too, not that that makes you intelligent, but she seems really intelligent.
I’m the worst of the worst

buywhatyoulike
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Spooky Lips and Fat Hips

Post by buywhatyoulike »

Likewise I enjoy SLFH.

But I have to admit, I saw the video on my feed, and couldn't click on it because from mousing over it, I figured I'd not enjoy it. I saw the Malika palette, and immediately I was frustrated because how is that neutral? Maybe she called it a warm-toned neutral palette. I didn't feel like checking if she did though. And so basically decided not to watch because I didn't want to see what else she was calling a neutral palette.
claradion wrote:I hate starting this thread because I love her

So THIS is what happens when we decide “pop effect” can mean absolutely anything

Imagepost images

Spooky Lips and Fat Hips called THIS a pop palette and a neutral palette.
Yeah, definitions or general lines for what counts as a term are so useful because of stuff like this. No definition or generally accepted guidelines, as well as people speaking a term like its the trendiest new phrase; it leads to stuff like this. The amount of people saying pop effect and cases like this, the phrase loses meaning as an actual phrase that could otherwise bring a somewhat accurate visual to mind on what they're describing.

I mean those not visually impaired can see the palette being shown, but if you say a palette of browns with a pop of blue; you get a decently accurate impression to mind even if you can't see the palette.

Anyway, using the example of that screenshot, it can't be a pop effect as I see it if your eye is being drawn to so many points, one after another. I've always seen a pop of colour effect in palettes as like the focal point in photos or images. You're trying to create a strong focus, to draw people to look at that first. And you can sometimes have good secondary focals and so on, though they're not as striking at the main focus. Too many and you risk making a mess with where you're trying to get the eye to go to first. Especially relevant with palettes, because of pan sizes being the same usually, you can't make a focus clearer as the main by say making it bigger than the others. So you have factors like placement and colour to try make certain shades attract the most attention/interest. A little long winded and unnecessary to explain perhaps, but I really think part of why the pop effect can't be applied so freely is because it is more like an instant visual lure. Drop too many lures and it gets very confusing what to pay attention to first.

And trying that tactic using a decent number of visual lures with bright colours or colours that contrast to a number of others; its no longer a pop effect. Its no longer a small burst of colour to grab the eye. That palette up there is definitely neither a pop or neutral palette. My attention is pinging all over the place with the colours.

I'd have to agree with you, if she should see this, hopefully she doesn't take it personally.

Its just really frustrating all this throwing around of calling neutral or pop effect palettes >.<
"Buy a mug." - Moochia Tapper.

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

Yup! She said “warm toned neutral”

To be honest I didn’t realize that some shade weren’t neutrals until I started reading here. But I do understand now and it’s really helpful.

On one hand it’s just semantics but we are talking about somewhere where color matters. Someone wouldn’t do this with art supplies so they shouldn’t with cosmetics.

I shouldn’t have watched the video but I did and I was really disappointed!

Angelica I can understand not knowing the ins and outs of the English language but Spooky Lips should.

buywhatyoulike
Informer
Informer

Post by buywhatyoulike »

claradion wrote:On one hand it’s just semantics but we are talking about somewhere where color matters. Someone wouldn’t do this with art supplies so they shouldn’t with cosmetics.
I think this is why it bothers me, especially with how much its becoming the way to describe so many palettes. So many are talking about creating, as if they do truly think of it at least a little like art, just on the face. But artists don't go, I've got a set of or a mixing palette of neutral paints out.
"Buy a mug." - Moochia Tapper.

makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by makeupmenace »

The only slight issue I have with Lacie is that she doesn't enunciate properly. Her words sound very slurred and jumbled to me. This stands out to me as someone who is a bit hard of hearing.
Blending is my cardio.

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

makeupmenace wrote:The only slight issue I have with Lacie is that she doesn't enunciate properly. Her words sound very slurred and jumbled to me. This stands out to me as someone who is a bit hard of hearing.
I never noticed that but now that you are mentioning it. I hope that fans get together and subtitle her videos, I think you can right? I always see her as so excited that she’s talking over herself, which is sweet but I bet tough when you’re hard of hearing.

She posted today, and I just really like her. I love her views on products and how she made a statement about KVD as someone who’s spend money with her and isn’t happy about what she’s said.

makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by makeupmenace »

claradion wrote:
makeupmenace wrote:The only slight issue I have with Lacie is that she doesn't enunciate properly. Her words sound very slurred and jumbled to me. This stands out to me as someone who is a bit hard of hearing.
I never noticed that but now that you are mentioning it. I hope that fans get together and subtitle her videos, I think you can right? I always see her as so excited that she’s talking over herself, which is sweet but I bet tough when you’re hard of hearing.

She posted today, and I just really like her. I love her views on products and how she made a statement about KVD as someone who’s spend money with her and isn’t happy about what she’s said.
You can have the community subtitle your videos but you have to turn the option on. I don't know if she has or not, I'd have to check!

ETA: doesn't look like it unless I'm missing something.
Blending is my cardio.

AppleBlossom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AppleBlossom »

I like Lacie a lot but girl... What is a “warm-toned blue”?! :rofl:

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

Ugh Lacie, I really like you but WTF is this?

I’m a generally nice person and I’m pretty sensitive to mean people so I would pick up on if it were “toxic” here. I have been involved in probably only a handful of topics but everyone here is so nice.

Maybe take your own advice and ignore the shitty comments and see how overall nice this space is? Just a thought :roll: :roll:

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

Also that video was a staying informed/living for drama video :rofl: but Alex mentioned gg and drama channels. They’re really the same.

AppleBlossom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AppleBlossom »

claradion wrote:Also that video was a staying informed/living for drama video :rofl: but Alex mentioned gg and drama channels. They’re really the same.
Yup. Plus drama channels get plenty of their info from GG.

makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by makeupmenace »

Some people on here can be rude, but in the same way some people on literally any website can be rude. It's unavoidable. That's just the way the world works and in particular, the internet. If you focus on that, it's all yoi'll see, bit there are tonnes of really great people here too.
Blending is my cardio.

Judge Dredward
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Judge Dredward »

claradion wrote:Ugh Lacie, I really like you but WTF is this?

[url=<a class="vglnk" href="https://postimg.cc/image/fs1howwr5/]Image[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>image</span><span>/</span><span>fs1howwr5</span><span>/][</span><span>img</span><span>]</span><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>s8</span><span>.</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>agml47aol</span><span>/</span><span>7</span><span>_</span><span>D5278</span><span>_</span><span>EC</span><span>-_</span><span>A781</span><span>-</span><span>4163</span><span>-</span><span>8791</span><span>-</span><span>5</span><span>_</span><span>CEB76</span><span>_</span><span>F6</span><span>_</span><span>F34</span><span>_</span><span>E</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span><span>][/</span><span>url</span></a>]

I’m a generally nice person and I’m pretty sensitive to mean people so I would pick up on if it were “toxic” here. I have been involved in probably only a handful of topics but everyone here is so nice.

Maybe take your own advice and ignore the shitty comments and see how overall nice this space is? Just a thought :roll: :roll:
Yeah, I haven't seen this place be entirely awful. Of course some comments may be overly petty, but compared to most of the internet, it's pretty tame here.

Can't speak for everyone, but part of the reason I post on GG is that I don't want to bring negative comments to someone's channel, especially if they are a smaller creator and aren't getting much money from it to justify the bs even the most polite criticism can devolve into. GG is a place where I can voice criticism and if the creator wants to find it, they can, but it can help keep their actual comments section from turning into a constant fight between stans and skeptics.

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

Judge Dredward wrote:
claradion wrote:Ugh Lacie, I really like you but WTF is this?

[url=<a class="vglnk" href="<a class="vglnk" href="https://postimg.cc/image/fs1howwr5/]Image[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>image</span><span>/</span><span>fs1howwr5</span><span>/][</span><span>img</span><span>]</span><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>s8</span><span>.</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>agml47aol</span><span>/</span><span>7</span><span>_</span><span>D5278</span><span>_</span><span>EC</span><span>-_</span><span>A781</span><span>-</span><span>4163</span><span>-</span><span>8791</span><span>-</span><span>5</span><span>_</span><span>CEB76</span><span>_</span><span>F6</span><span>_</span><span>F34</span><span>_</span><span>E</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span><span>][/</span><span>url</span></a>" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>image</span><span>/</span><span>fs1howwr5</span><span>/][</span><span>img</span><span>]</span><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>s8</span><span>.</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>cc</span><span>/</span><span>agml47aol</span><span>/</span><span>7</span><span>_</span><span>D5278</span><span>_</span><span>EC</span><span>-_</span><span>A781</span><span>-</span><span>4163</span><span>-</span><span>8791</span><span>-</span><span>5</span><span>_</span><span>CEB76</span><span>_</span><span>F6</span><span>_</span><span>F34</span><span>_</span><span>E</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span><span>][/</span><span>url</span></a>]

Yeah, I haven't seen this place be entirely awful. Of course some comments may be overly petty, but compared to most of the internet, it's pretty tame here.

Can't speak for everyone, but part of the reason I post on GG is that I don't want to bring negative comments to someone's channel, especially if they are a smaller creator and aren't getting much money from it to justify the bs even the most polite criticism can devolve into. GG is a place where I can voice criticism and if the creator wants to find it, they can, but it can help keep their actual comments section from turning into a constant fight between stans and skeptics.
Some of the rudest people I’ve come across online have been on Facebook and YouTube. I’ve even unsubscribed from people because I didn’t like other commenters and rather than argue I will step away. It’s not worth it.

That’s it. I don’t want to argue, I don’t want to bring negativity. When I post here I can talk about things and GG will be kind and supportive. I won’t feel frustrated with a content creator for something crappy one of their followers said, and I won’t feel alienated.

I’m really losing respect for a lot of CC that paint this place as toxic.

makeup_wine_repeat
Debater
Debater

Post by makeup_wine_repeat »

Ya why won't you paint an entire forum as toxic, of course everyone on here is a clone. Never mind that this place has people from all over the world participating in discussions about content creators. You want our views and money without having us question your actions or opinions. hmm.... there is a term for such people. Shall I go ahead and paint all the people who dress more goth and grungy like this spooky lips girl, as weirdos?
It is becoming a trend of sorts to bash GG and call it toxic. I find that BGCr is actually toxic. Many of the forums here have legit concerns and want to shed light on untrustworthy or shady BGs.
She is learning from her friend Angelica. Honestly as a consumer of content, I tried getting into Soopky Lips' channel quite a few times but got bored and left. I didn't think she was good at makeup or creative. I am not saying this out of spite, just telling the truth. Maybe she should focus on improving her content more, a small channel like her technically should not even have "haterzz".

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

It’s definitely the influence that other channels are having on her. She talks about being friends with Liv and Angelica, and she didn’t really have these opinions until very recently.

I love her makeup because she does what she likes the most. I was so happy to see someone who seemed to like their makeup, but was also talking about using caution with purchasing and marketing. It was also really nice to see someone different, because I’m different.

I’m really sad that she’s decided to call the discussions here toxic. I am too nervous to post on reddit. There are so many aggressive posters there, and there are way more problems than a place like GG

makeup_wine_repeat
Debater
Debater

Post by makeup_wine_repeat »

claradion wrote:It’s definitely the influence that other channels are having on her. She talks about being friends with Liv and Angelica, and she didn’t really have these opinions until very recently.

I love her makeup because she does what she likes the most. I was so happy to see someone who seemed to like their makeup, but was also talking about using caution with purchasing and marketing. It was also really nice to see someone different, because I’m different.

I’m really sad that she’s decided to call the discussions here toxic. I am too nervous to post on reddit. There are so many aggressive posters there, and there are way more problems than a place like GG
I get what you are saying and I can respect the being different part. I completely understand how being or dressing different invites so much unwarranted remarks and judgement. Am saying this so you don't perceive me to be anti alternate culture <3 . I used to wear a full face to my lab and my colleague told me to take his cousin on a night out since am obviously a "party girl" and have a way with men ??????!!!!!!!! Just pointing out the hypocrisy of Lacy. Maybe I should give her another shot but honestly once this self sabotaging clique gets to you, it is hard to come back from that bitterness and entitlement.

claradion
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by claradion »

makeup_wine_repeat wrote:
claradion wrote:It’s definitely the influence that other channels are having on her. She talks about being friends with Liv and Angelica, and she didn’t really have these opinions until very recently.

I get what you are saying and I can respect the being different part. I completely understand how being or dressing different invites so much unwarranted remarks and judgement. Am saying this so you don't perceive me to be anti alternate culture <3 . I used to wear a full face to my lab and my colleague told me to take his cousin on a night out since am obviously a "party girl" and have a way with men ??????!!!!!!!! Just pointing out the hypocrisy of Lacy. Maybe I should give her another shot but honestly once this self sabotaging clique gets to you, it is hard to come back from that bitterness and entitlement.
That is horrible

Yeah I don’t know how she will untangle herself from that, because I really want to like her videos. I used to watch everything she put out but I’m skipping almost every video now.

lalunamivida
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by lalunamivida »

I stopped watching her after she kept getting upset about the negativity on other people's accounts. This has never happened on my account, but I saw it somewhere else...... I also found it weird that she was sort of trying to say that she was trying to be an example for people with makeup addiction issues, but (at least) when I was watching she was buying tons and tons of makeup every month. If that was recovery I'd hate to see what she was like when she was "addicted."

AppleBlossom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AppleBlossom »

lalunamivida wrote:I stopped watching her after she kept getting upset about the negativity on other people's accounts. This has never happened on my account, but I saw it somewhere else...... I also found it weird that she was sort of trying to say that she was trying to be an example for people with makeup addiction issues, but (at least) when I was watching she was buying tons and tons of makeup every month. If that was recovery I'd hate to see what she was like when she was "addicted."
LOL IKR? Her summer haul video had a shitload of makeup.

Return to “P-T”