Dan & Phil Part 61:Danneedsreassurance & AmazingPigeonfest

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 61:Danneedsreassurance & AmazingPigeonfe

Post by Disney_Wolf »

albystrom wrote:I get disappointed when he drops edgy-depressed-emo jokes/persona to cover his true-self. bitch its okay to be vulnerable and deep about your mental health, I appreciated that, but don't ruin it with your jokes at the end. It hard for me to squeeze through him. Also another thing that ticked me of is Dan calling himself an "entertainer" instead of a "youtuber", what does that even mean?
Yeah he's expressed a few times now about his distaste about being called a YouTuber because YouTube is all about views and uploading long, trending videos constantly and he says he's not about that or can't upload like that so it stresses him out or something. I don't remember fully what he said x

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Entertainer is an awful alternative though. Sounds like some sort of circus act. It’s getting quite tedious watching so many old school vloggers go through this personality crisis.
Just accept that a “YouTuber” is what you are you pretentious ninny.

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

rikonee wrote:
Disney_Wolf wrote:
rikonee wrote:Hey, guys. I usually just lurk a little from time to time, but I decided to make an account.
It's because I wanna ask this quetsion that's been on my mind for a long time. Sorry if it's been asked before and probably old af. It probably has been talked about before but here I go.

Did Phil and PJ date before?
Because there is an old Phil tweet about him and PJ in 2008.
(I have no idea how to post a tweet or embed a pic, sorry)

Is he serious or just joking? Thanks!
I'm assuming you mean this tweet?
[tweet][/tweet]

I'm pretty sure it's just a joke. There are a few tweets like this from Phil back in the 2008/2009 time x
Yes, it is. Thank you. I can finally get that off my mind lol. Ngl, if they used to date, I wouldn't be surprised actually.

Btw, how do you embed a tweet or do you have a link on how to do it?
The easiest way I explain it is by typing [tweet] insert the link of the tweet you want to type (example) and then close brackets like [/tweet] x

Edit: nevermind, illegal explained it better :rofl:
Last edited by Disney_Wolf on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

youtubers that want to be called entertainers are just as pretentious as the youtubers that used to want to be called filmmakers

rikonee wrote:Yes, it is. Thank you. I can finally get that off my mind lol. Ngl, if they used to date, I wouldn't be surprised actually.

Btw, how do you embed a tweet or do you have a link on how to do it?
above the text box there's a bunch of different buttons, one of them says "tweet". click that one, it'll put something on the text box. then right in between the two boxes that show up, you paste the link to the tweet. just make sure you remove the s in https or it won't embed

example [ ]http://twitter[ ]
The Internet knows all your secrets

rikonee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by rikonee »

Thank you to Disney and Illegal who explained it to me. :tu:

Anyway, here's my thoughts on DnP right now.
I used to be a big fan who watched them regularly around 2015-2016. But then I kinda grew out of them and school got busy, so I stopped watching them around mid-2017. I started watching them again a couple weeks ago and it quite surprised me that Dan haven't uploaded in 8 months (not really tbh). Phil's not super great either, but at least he looks like he still cares. Can't say I'm not biased tho, Phil has always been my favorite (and his new hairstyle is <3 <3 )

My conclusion from crazily binge-watching and catching up to them this week is they really have lost their passion about it, especially Dan (oh Dan, just call it quits already). It saddens me to see this ofc. They're not saints but I don't think they're actually bad people. I would love to see them branch out more. They've got enough money saved up to find a new hobby or explore more job options. Maybe they can do radio or behind the scenes stuff.

I personally, would love to see Phil go to school again. It's not something insignificant and it will be quite hard but I really do think he can do it. He's already got the master's degree so why not go for a PhD? And...he could be a professor too. It seems far-fetched, but I can imagine him as a good teacher who can share his experiences and would give fun assignments. Well, at least just in my imagination lol (I still lowkey hope for it tho).

Do you guys think there is a possibility he would go to school again?

RitaHayworth
Learner
Learner

Post by RitaHayworth »

i just noticed that season 2 episode 11 of the super amazing project has been made private. it was called "woman eats baby" [the dead link in the context of a SAP playlist is available here: i watched the video earlier this year, so it's been made private in the last 8 months or so. as they don't own the channel anymore, and the people who used to post on it don't use it anymore either, i wonder whether they had to ask youtube to private it. the whole series is plagued with jokes made in poor taste, and awkward #fyiilikevagina moments, so i wonder what in particular there was in this episode that they disliked.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

rikonee wrote:
He's already got the master's degree so why not go for a PhD?
Because they have the potential to suck all the light and joy out of your life xD
We once had a professor invite all his PhD students to recruit us younglings into the world of further academia, but nothing has convinced me more that a PhD is the last thing I want to do than that lineup of broken people ^^
But that's just me of course :D

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

rikonee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by rikonee »

urmel wrote:
rikonee wrote:
He's already got the master's degree so why not go for a PhD?
Because they have the potential to suck all the light and joy out of your life xD
We once had a professor invite all his PhD students to recruit us younglings into the world of further academia, but nothing has convinced me more that a PhD is the last thing I want to do than that lineup of broken people ^^
But that's just me of course :D

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)
I understand your point. It could get a bit dull.

But who knows, some people actually enjoy studying. I've met some people with PhDs and I personally never have any bad experience. Most of them are very lovely and I'm just saying, if Phil would want to continue school someday, it could be great opportunity. :D

Post by Guest »

Lily Laurette wrote:I'm not going but I just had to fill out that survey to roast the shit out of them. For "What would their fragrance be called" I said, Codependence and for "What would their documentary be called" I said, Queerbaiting: A Journey Nine Years in the Making. It's safe to say aboslutely none of mine will be picked.
You are my hero.

Post by Guest »

Hello, if anyone is still here from when I used to post. I haven’t been subscribed or watched for a while, but got lured back in with curiosity when they ended Dan vs. Phil and considering Dan hasn’t posted in about a year. Why are they always so cryptic about everything? I think they have a pretty shit management team without having business knowledge themselves (as opposed to Felix whose mother I think is a CEO and who has always been open about how he runs his channel like a business). I always thought Dan in particular would have been a better youtuber with more hands on people like the Gleamers had. That’s neither here nor there though. They seem to have lucked into a remarkably uncritical audience and made a ton of money off that so more power to them I guess.

Are they ending the gaming channel altogether? Unfortunately all I wanted for Dilmas was for them to lock all the Howlters and Pancakes in a room “Red Wedding”-style and set the house on fire but that didn’t happen (I didn’t watch but I’m sure I would have heard if it had).

End of an era or does anyone have high hopes for the things that are supposedly to come?

Lime
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Lime »

High hopes would be too optimistic but I'm curious to see if they have anything planned. Especially for Dan, the gaming channel was his only active platform. If this is happening because they've adopted some personas that are stale today, and they want to shed that, great. But I doubt it. They are always so criptic (which I can somewhat get, phans have done creepy stuff) but for a duo who has made their brand over sharing their lives (and they are not even doing that anymore), I don't know what their new thing will be. Does anyone have speculations or rumours?
English is not my native language, excuse the mistakes.

Post by Guest »

Lime wrote:High hopes would be too optimistic but I'm curious to see if they have anything planned. Especially for Dan, the gaming channel was his only active platform. If this is happening because they've adopted some personas that are stale today, and they want to shed that, great. But I doubt it. They are always so criptic (which I can somewhat get, phans have done creepy stuff) but for a duo who has made their brand over sharing their lives (and they are not even doing that anymore), I don't know what their new thing will be. Does anyone have speculations or rumours?
The last thing I saw Dan passionate about was his Daniel and Depression video and the opportunities he got as a result of that. I think he was really pleased with the reception he got for being a bit more honest and open about himself. Based on the fact that he made several passive-aggressive comments about the reaction to his Living My Truth video, including much later after everyone had moved on, I think that really crushed his spirit a bit, also taking into consideration he said he feels like he has no personality/is wearing a mask aka is just a persona.

I definitely don’t think he wants to go back to his old style of videos, but I think that he would like to talk about things that are more relevant to him now and have more interaction with an audience he can relate to (the whole “internet support group aspect of his channel, which has been the only thing around from the very beginning that he has kept).

That being said, I don’t think he has any idea how to go about that, don’t think he will get the help he needs to rebrand, and think he will try to straddle between the persona that appeals to those who buy his merch (the merch he has now) and want constant meme references and who he wants to be/be seen as with more adult/intellectual ideas and his videos will continue to be kind of scattered.

That being said, he has had almost a year to think about it so maybe he will surprise us.

As for Phil and the gaming channel, I have no idea. I doubt they would ever start playing real games so I think they will either end it all together or take a break and then go back to what they were doing withan updated aesthetic.

pugsypugs
Learner
Learner

Post by pugsypugs »

So after lurking for a while, I have a question for you all:

Do you think that if there were people that made the same content as Dan and Phil did at their peak years, will it catch on as much as it did back then? Like Phil's things I thought that were true but were not and reasons why Dan's a fail?

I really miss the vibe they had of talking about their lives, childhoods and being so genuine, comedic and lighthearted. Just wish there was someone like that around rn.

Post by Guest »

pugsypugs wrote:So after lurking for a while, I have a question for you all:

Do you think that if there were people that made the same content as Dan and Phil did at their peak years, will it catch on as much as it did back then? Like Phil's things I thought that were true but were not and reasons why Dan's a fail?

I really miss the vibe they had of talking about their lives, childhoods and being so genuine, comedic and lighthearted. Just wish there was someone like that around rn.
I will preface this by saying I can only really comment on Dan because he was the only one I watched back in the day, but despite my criticisms of his recent videos and/or lack there of for a variety of reasons, I think one of the things that has really influences his newer videos being/seeming more pretentious and scattered is the fact that they have to be 10 minutes. Looking back at the old videos, if the point was made in 5 minutes, that’s how long the video was and it worked much better in my opinion, especially when it came to the comedic aspects.

My nephew watches mostly Fortnite videos, but we also watch other YouTube videos together (there is only so much Fortnite I can handle). He’s 11. I notice he will be interested in many of the comedic vlogger type videos I like and show him, but after a few minutes he will look at the time. I think the forced length is what would cause the problem for newer youtubers, especially with younger kids like my nephew who are used to constant action and the new (in my opinion much worse) Youtube that doesn’t support true creators, but rather shock/stunts. People like Pewdiepie and Jenna Marbles and Dan and Phil can keep doing the vloggy videos because they are already established, although Jenna and Felix, especially Felix, have both adjusted their channels more than Dan and Phil have in my opinion throughout the years. I think it would be much harder for new Youtubers like Dan and Phil we’re back in their prime to get ahead with the way the platform is now. I also wonder what percentage of Dan’s videos that are most popular would have been demonetized if Youtube was the way it was now back then. I don’t believe for a second he would have been as believable and had as much success had he been PG “family friendly.” It doesn’t suit him at all.

This is such an interesting question though. I’m curious to hear any differing opinions.

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

aryasfavoriteword wrote:
pugsypugs wrote:So after lurking for a while, I have a question for you all:

I will preface this by saying I can only really comment on Dan because he was the only one I watched back in the day, but despite my criticisms of his recent videos and/or lack there of for a variety of reasons, I think one of the things that has really influences his newer videos being/seeming more pretentious and scattered is the fact that they have to be 10 minutes. Looking back at the old videos, if the point was made in 5 minutes, that’s how long the video was and it worked much better in my opinion, especially when it came to the comedic aspects.

My nephew watches mostly Fortnite videos, but we also watch other YouTube videos together (there is only so much Fortnite I can handle). He’s 11. I notice he will be interested in many of the comedic vlogger type videos I like and show him, but after a few minutes he will look at the time. I think the forced length is what would cause the problem for newer youtubers, especially with younger kids like my nephew who are used to constant action and the new (in my opinion much worse) Youtube that doesn’t support true creators, but rather shock/stunts. People like Pewdiepie and Jenna Marbles and Dan and Phil can keep doing the vloggy videos because they are already established, although Jenna and Felix, especially Felix, have both adjusted their channels more than Dan and Phil have in my opinion throughout the years. I think it would be much harder for new Youtubers like Dan and Phil we’re back in their prime to get ahead with the way the platform is now. I also wonder what percentage of Dan’s videos that are most popular would have been demonetized if Youtube was the way it was now back then. I don’t believe for a second he would have been as believable and had as much success had he been PG “family friendly.” It doesn’t suit him at all.

This is such an interesting question though. I’m curious to hear any differing opinions.
No you pretty much covered it. If anyone now did the same videos Dan and Phil did like 5 year ago it definitely wouldn't catch on. People only care about 'drama' no matter how fake it is, it's the reason why the whole distrack and boxing drama and all that shit took off. And why people did this whole just arguing thing. Think Caspar Lee is even climbing on to this by starting to post fake drama and diss tracks because he's realised his channel is started to lose views x

teaforme
Learner
Learner

Post by teaforme »

I’m late on this train, but honestly, when will the pair address their sexuality? I’m getting tired of this decade old charade.
:love2: With Love, Reality :love2:

Post by Guest »

teaforme wrote:I’m late on this train, but honestly, when will the pair address their sexuality? I’m getting tired of this decade old charade.
I don’t think they will unless they are somehow forced to, whether it is by something external or whatever, because it keeps them relevant and makes them money. Also, I think they know they would be engulfed in a giant shitstorm at this point no matter what the truth is.

I’m just shocked that with all the hype around them over the years, they never seem to have anyone they have interacted with personally share any stories or have any kind of scandals besides the tumblr-manufactured ones (unless I missed something big which is very plausible since I was always just a casual fan).

Edit: Just wanted to add that unless Phil did in the early days, I don’t think either of them ever talked about their actual sex lives on camera so even if they did address that, I don’t think (even if we go with the assumption that phan is real) anything they would plausibly say would be anywhere near what a large portion of their fans expect (not saying that is what you expect).

Apple In My Pie
Informer
Informer

Post by Apple In My Pie »

Oh, yeah, they’ll never address their sexualities of course that’s up to them but I feel like they know they can cash in and get more views because of the ‘mystery’ - like reading a slow burn fanfiction in real time except it just... doesn’t conclude. They’ve caught on slowly.. don’t necessarily click bait but exploit the hell out of it in gaming channel videos/titles, even stuff like PINOF where they KNOW people are expecting them to kiss or whatever. That’s why Dan has always been so flaky in promisng videos or so vague - the instant he makes a vague comment it fires up the demons with the usual, ‘it’s a coming out!’ or whatever.

If anything I think Dan would benefit most from a coming out video (I know that’s a massive assumption, but eh). He’s centred himself as this advice giving ambassador now with young minds etc so I think a coming out/LGBT centered video from him would be particularly helpful/influential. Fits his brand, basically (lol)

It does irritate me though, the obsession with ‘phan’. In the PINOF10 bloopers dan makes a comment (sped up in video?) and someone slowed it down where he says ‘maybe we don’t need to listen’ but people are insisting he was addressing phil and said baby! :roll:

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

I've seen the comments on people insisting he called Phil baby as well when it was maybe. It was the same in a Sims video a bit back people were insisting Phil said to Dan 'Bear, be caredul' when he said 'Dan be careful' x

Post by Guest »

The tinhatter phanproof is what annoys me. I did my content chat tumblr blog for a while and actually liked it, but just being on tumblr I felt a sense of dread any time they made eye contact in a video or Dan made a joke that was the least bit provocative etc etc because I knew people would go crazy and pick it apart until it fit into some sort of phan fiction. After Dan’s Living My Truth video especially I just found that it was giving me anxiety and actually enjoyed their videos much more without seeing everything (the maybe/baby thing is the perfect example) constantly picked apart to fit with a narrative and/or people getting mad when things don’t meet their expectations (ie Dan hyping up videos and them not being coming out videos). To each their own but I was a casual viewer of just Dan for years with no idea about all this stuff, but now I feel like it has taken over so much and I don’t think I would have been subscribed as long as I was if it was as central of a focus as it is now. I get that the shippers (edit: I specifically used the word tinhatter above even though I hate it because I think there is a big difference between regular shippers or people who just think they are together and people who literally only watch the videos to look for phan proof and such) are their most loyal viewers who buy the merch, but all I ever see on other videos mentioning Dan and Phil is how annoying their followers are when they inevitably take over the comments and also based on my own experiences, I think it has to be pretty limiting if they are/are going to try to branch out in any way.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”