Lauren Mae Beauty

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Lauren Mae Beauty

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_pgP ... jn9NthCsAg

I was surprised to not see a thread on her yet.

She posts daily. I liked her videos at first but they seem to be getting pretty repetitive. She's not very insightful. I feel like I've seen her work basically the same talking points into a bunch of different videos. She's not bringing a lot of new stuff to the table...I feel like there are a lot of these channels popping up whose main thing is doing "call-out" videos on bigger gurus/the community in general. They work what people are saying on sites like GG and r/BGCr into videos which gets them clicks because there's a need for that right now with people being so frustrated with the YT beauty community but truthfully they don't have a lot to back it up. She's bordering on annoying for me now. Most of her titles end up being clickbait and she doesn't say anything interesting in the actual video. Most of the time I can think of better points than she mentions :lol:

What do you guys think of her?

bumbling_buzzard
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lauren Mae Beauty

Post by bumbling_buzzard »

I thought she was fun to watch at first, but I kept getting subtle vibes that she might be bitchy or arrogant. Maybe I'm imagining things.

But yeah, the videos are getting repetitive. I'm not clicking on them as fast as I used to, if at all.

Elturtleo
Learner
Learner

Post by Elturtleo »

I usually can't finish her videos. They could easily be cut in half, even then most of it's the same dead horse being beaten. I don't like how her eye makeup looks most of the time either.

HeRainaa
Learner
Learner

Post by HeRainaa »

I was waiting for a thread on this girl.I never particularly liked her,but I thought that her video on makeup addiction was interesting.Well,that's the only interesting video of her I've seen so far,mostly because she seemed to actually have things to talk about in that video.The rest of her videos(the tube talks as well)are boring,she repeats herself constantly and her voice is so monotonous to the point you can't tell if she's crying or cheering about a product.I've also noticed that her shtick seems to be supposedly "innovative" videos (like "products I'm surprised are on sale".Like,wtf?How is this supposed to help me?),that,although entertaining at first,have started to feel repetitive,useless and a cheap move from her part in order to keep up with her daily upload schedule.She also gives me the impression of a person that would change completely once she'll get more opportunities in the industry.I was led to that conclusion during her video about small youtubers,in which she basically begged her audience to stay loyal to her even if she get thousands of subscribers.Like,who told you that you will get that far?She's started to get cocky to the point she gives advice on how to be YouTube successfull.As for her eye makeup,her eyes are upturned(and very beautiful,imo)and the way she does her makeup exaggerate their shape,which makes her look cross eyed sometimes.I do believe that she is good at doing her makeup though,that's why I think that her channel would benefit from a content change.She would be much more useful doing makeup tutorials and special effects looks,than mass producing gimmicky videos,since she is not a good talker or a reviewer.

BooM2015
Learner
Learner

Post by BooM2015 »

I like Lauren, I think its great shes a makeup artist and has working knowledge of the industry.

I think she needs to cut down the daily schedule thing and focus in on things shes actually interested about, rather than pumping out content. I have a feeling shes using her youtube as a way to gain fame and then release a makeup line which she has talked about a bit - I don't think that's a bad thing and I actually feel like she has some relevant points and good insights..But I hope she doesn't change as her YT picks up speed.

peachiez
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by peachiez »

I get vibes from her that because she is makeup artist, she thinks of herself above others in the community. The video that was made on makeup addiction was insightful. I do enjoy her videos occasionally. In general though I find her videos to be quite repetitive and boring. She's a bit in the middle for me when it comes to if I like her or not. Also I can't believe she's a makeup artist. I know she is one, obviously but it surprises me. :? Her makeup isn't bad by any means but generally kinda average on the spectrum of youtube beauty gurus.

Actually that's kinda how I feel about her in general. Average.

hcburbs
Debater
Debater

Post by hcburbs »

I don't mind Lauren too much, but her most recent video on minis that are a better/good deal was uninspired and frustrating, and just felt uninformed. According to her, she hasn't used all the products she recommends, so how does she think she is qualified to give her opinion on whether or not they are worth the money? The worst part was when she recommended the mini of the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, at $42. This was her reasoning:

"I ...maybe you just wanted to try something different if you're someone who rotates your foundations..you can buy less product and know it's not going to go bad, spend less money, so I think this is just a really great way to continue to expand your knowledge of makeup, know about different formulas, try something out, and actually be able to try it long-term...but you are saving money."

Um, yes, having a mini is more useful than a sample because I can test it out over the long term, but do you really need to spend $42 to do that? IDK i can tell pretty quickly if a foundation is crap, and I would absolutely not feel comfortable dropping more than $40 just to "test" something out. For heaven's sake.

Post by Guest »

I know this is a rave thread but I dislike Lauren. I find that she talks in circles and acts like we're a monolith. Not all people want "naked" eyeshadow palettes

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

This is not even supposed to be a rave thread. When I made this thread it was in the trash section. For some reason it got moved to rave wtf. Clearly the posts are not rave posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jollyfish
Learner
Learner

Post by jollyfish »

I am annoyed. This 'what I packed' video? I felt dumb FOR her. In the initial packing video, people were giving her good advice and tips on traveling/packing which she apparently went out of her way to ignore. -Any- amount of research at all on traveling or packing, or even just thinking about/planning for it would stop you from overpacking the way she did; it's clear she did zero of that as well. And then to come out with a 'lol look what I learned' video? Shut up.

It's like warning someone 'the stove is hot' and then looking on in extreme annoyance to see them lifting their hand, touching the stove, burning their hand, and then turning around to tell you that the stove is hot. Do you really think you should make a video giving advice to your viewers that you ignored when they gave it to you first? Get fucked.

Basically, I've lost respect for her, and really, I haven't been interested in anything she has uploaded for several months now.

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by andthensome »

jollyfish wrote:I am annoyed. This 'what I packed' video? I felt dumb FOR her. In the initial packing video, people were giving her good advice and tips on traveling/packing which she apparently went out of her way to ignore. -Any- amount of research at all on traveling or packing, or even just thinking about/planning for it would stop you from overpacking the way she did; it's clear she did zero of that as well. And then to come out with a 'lol look what I learned' video? Shut up.

It's like warning someone 'the stove is hot' and then looking on in extreme annoyance to see them lifting their hand, touching the stove, burning their hand, and then turning around to tell you that the stove is hot. Do you really think you should make a video giving advice to your viewers that you ignored when they gave it to you first? Get fucked.

Basically, I've lost respect for her, and really, I haven't been interested in anything she has uploaded for several months now.
I was JUST looking for the trash thread to post this exact sentiment! Even when I was watching her travel makeup video before she went to Italy, I was rolling my eyes so.hard. I think I'm just burned out with this chick honestly, she comes across as a bit preachy yet naive at the same time. I'll definitely be backing off her videos more recently. Not so much hate, just burnout.

jollyfish
Learner
Learner

Post by jollyfish »

I couldn't even finish the first one because at several points in the video she made comments along the lines of 'this is probably too much stuff' and 'I probably won't use everything.' Well then... She packed all of it and then flew with it internationally.

Totally understand the preachy/naive sentiment and I agree. She seems a bit dumb, quite frankly. If you really listen to her anti-hauls or 'makeup that I am/am not surprised is on sale' videos, the reasoning behind her decisions rarely make sense and some of her comments are... simple.

hcburbs
Debater
Debater

Post by hcburbs »

I can't help think something is off when i watch her videos with her husband- i think they married really early, she moved to LA for his acting career, but i dunno guys..he doesnt seem straight to me

Post by Guest »

Kristen has a very simple mind and she never came across as someone with a high i.q. Although I often complain about Karima, at least she has an intellect about her and I find that I would be able to hold an intellectual conversation, about beauty products at least

jollyfish
Learner
Learner

Post by jollyfish »

hcburbs wrote:I can't help think something is off when i watch her videos with her husband- i think they married really early, she moved to LA for his acting career, but i dunno guys..he doesnt seem straight to me
The first time I saw them in a video together, I definitely got some odd vibes. I never thought about labeling it, but I never felt the desire to watch them again.

davitbowie
Learner
Learner

Post by davitbowie »

Youtube recommended her Ulta 4th of july sale video so i watched it and immediately disliked her. Her makeup is so ugly in that video and her reasons for things being on sale were stupid... will not be watching any more of her vids.

HeRainaa
Learner
Learner

Post by HeRainaa »

Another thing I really dislike about her is that she does not seem to have any balance regarding her relationship with makeup whatsoever.At first she had a makeup addiction,then she had a panning addiction and the moment she started developing a balanced approach towards makeup,she started buying the fucking sub boxes.She is in a place right now that wants again LOTS of makeup,but she can't afford it-that's why she gets a sub box.As a result,her collection contains random makeup products from brands that are uninspiring and/or difficult to find.Her makeup addiction journey didn't teach her anything-SHE STILL prefers a number of random products(which can declutter later and feel proud and accomplished)than 2 GOOD products for the same price.She Just seems so cheap,she has no fucking idea on what a good product is,despite being a working MUA,and she has NO PERSONAL TASTE.She doesn't know what she likes-she just says she likes colour and "alternative" styles despite being a quite basic girl.

Honestly,her channel is all over the place right now.She is not a tutorial channel(she does not provide any diversity whatsoever and she doesn't zoom in at all),she is not a "controversial" channel anymore,since people got sick of them really fast(and there are people that do this job better than her),she is not a review channel,cause she reviews random ass things nobody asked for and does not have a good knowledge about products to make comparisons or suggest things,she is not a new releases focused channel,she is nothing in general.She just turns on the camera,talk about makeup that she is not surprised is on sale(MOST USELESS VIDEO IDEA EVER),then make another 5 opinion based videos a day and gets PAYED for that,which makes me furious.TALKING NON SENCE FOR 5 minutes in front of a camera does not mean that you "put work"on your videos Lauren.She approaches YouTube as a quick way to make money in order to start a makeup company,I get that,but she doesn't put any work on them to look decent.At this point she is just capitalising on her success from her previous tube talk videos and shit on her viewers' intelligence.Her shtick has faded really fast though-I'm sure her numbers will decrease if she continues to upload such uninspiring content.

jollyfish
Learner
Learner

Post by jollyfish »

I wouldn't mind watching a 'makeup I am/not surprised is on sale' video from a person capable of coherent thought. I like hearing thoughtful opinions on makeup, and I don't have time to drudge through sale sections. It would be a fun way to be up to date on sale items, especially if I have something on the wish list. But from her? I'd rather miss out.

It's almost to the point where I don't even know why I liked her in the first place

SashaPhone34
Learner
Learner

Post by SashaPhone34 »

jollyfish wrote:I wouldn't mind watching a 'makeup I am/not surprised is on sale' video from a person capable of coherent thought. I like hearing thoughtful opinions on makeup, and I don't have time to drudge through sale sections. It would be a fun way to be up to date on sale items, especially if I have something on the wish list. But from her? I'd rather miss out.

It's almost to the point where I don't even know why I liked her in the first place
This is exactly what I hoped her sale video would be about since I tend to check the sales for makeup I've had my eye on, but haven't bought yet. If she could give a coherent opinion on anything those sale videos could be useful. She's a MUA for a living, but I just don't understand how a professional MUA is so clueless about makeup. She just seems so bored by it all. Even if all she wants is her own line, you still need to know about other brands and the industry in general. I'm still subscribed to her, but she's so boring that I can't even use her videos as background noise while I'm doing my make up.

BooM2015
Learner
Learner

Post by BooM2015 »

is it me, or do all her looks kinda look the same.. Aside from color her technique never changes, she never goes out of her comfort zone. Yeah you like "smokey blown out looks" but there are soooooo many other looks too, for an Mua she plays it pretty safe...and boring

Return to “K-O”