Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: John Maclean

Post by adven »

Fire in Her Eyes wrote:
Green Eyed Gemini wrote:
Cheryl Blossom wrote:Eek. I think I would recoil if I saw him irl

[img]<a class="vglnk" href="//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... c06450.jpg[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>uploads</span><span>.</span><span>tapatalk</span><span>-</span><span>cdn</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>20180330</span><span>/</span><span>e04a244b803dc243fcad40f145c06450</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His username, wow. Somebody thinks highly of himself.

I was going to say...who tf calls themselves ‘lord’? Is he one of those people who will buy themselves a title just so people will address them in honorifics? :roll:
Guess you are referring to those from around the world who think they can call themselves lairds by buying a little plot of land in Scotland? They are a bit of a con really as in Scotland you can't register a souvenir plot, meaning you both don't actually own the land you have bought and you have no right to being laird of it either and using such a title. Honorifics are already used such as Mr, Mrs, Ms, Miss and even they are usually dropped as we move towards a more egalitarian society. Seems to be people from outside of Scotland unaware of the law, and the current sentiments over land ownership expressed by politicians and the public if they think it's appropriate buy themselves such a title even if it is a farce.

smarlo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smarlo »

did anyone go to his master class? what is a master class anyway?
That Girl!

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Green Eyed Gemini »

smarlo wrote:did anyone go to his master class? what is a master class anyway?
Not sure about the first question, but the second question: a masterclass is taught by a makeup artist (usually) that basically teaches skills in applying makeup. I’m sure there are some nuances but I’ve never been to one so that’s my general overview lol. It’s usually open to a late number of people and the MUA will be in the front of the room going through everything.

smarlo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smarlo »

Oh Lord, I wish I knew how to screen shot and share the photo! John just uploaded a new video where he showed a brown smokey eye and he turned to look straight into the camera kinda wide eyed to explain something and it was horrifying! I swear to God he swallowed my soul! :o

Also, does he sound like a fancy Mojo-Jojo to you? Is it just me?
That Girl!

TokayEyes
Learner
Learner

Post by TokayEyes »

I'm so glad this guy has a thread. I'll probably be echoing a lot of things people have pointed out, so heads up. I stumbled across him just this morning. When I saw the tumbnail I at first thought it was Thataylaaa or whoever. I soon got sucked in out of sheer wonderment and mild shock once he started talking. I grew up in a well-to-do family and to me it sounds like he's trying to appear from a similar upbringing or like he fits in with the posh crowd. I'm not saying that makes me better than him or anything. It's just apparent to me right away that he doesn't have that speech flow naturally. The cadence of his speech just sounds off and the larger words just clutter up his sentences. I hope that makes sense? I'm not trying to be offensive at all. Granted, I appreciate very much that he isn't screaming 'YASSS' as someone else stated. It's actually what got me to not click off his video right away. Then the bottom tooth kind of hypnotized me and kept me around... :?

His 'loving the skin you have' video definitely made me roll my eyes. I really believe he's just ignorant, maybe some racist undertones, but I think he's just so into himself that he's got tunnel vision when it comes to beauty struggles.

I've been playing a LOT of Skyrim lately and he reminds me of the Altmer, the stuck up douchey high elves trying to screw everyone over via political means. They've even got the same accent/pale skin. That, or a Lord of the Rings character. Just very elfish.

TokayEyes
Learner
Learner

Post by TokayEyes »

I couldn't help myself. Sorry for double posting. He's not an exact copy, but he reminds me so much of these douche elves.

Natori_Umi
Learner
Learner

Post by Natori_Umi »

Just watching his soft smokey eyes video from two weeks ago - I'm realizing, he'd make for a great drinking game. Take a shot whenever he says "seamlessness".

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

Natori_Umi wrote:Just watching his soft smokey eyes video from two weeks ago - I'm realizing, he'd make for a great drinking game. Take a shot whenever he says "seamlessness".
Funeral services would love it, I bet that!
-most bespoke packaging experience like no other- Kitchen Cosmetics

Beckettinga
Learner
Learner

Post by Beckettinga »

PinkyPunch wrote:
Natori_Umi wrote:Just watching his soft smokey eyes video from two weeks ago - I'm realizing, he'd make for a great drinking game. Take a shot whenever he says "seamlessness".
Funeral services would love it, I bet that!
And then take another shot every time he says 'filem'

Natori_Umi
Learner
Learner

Post by Natori_Umi »

Oh god, his new Question and Answer Filum. I can't stop laughing :rofl:

vavavegan
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by vavavegan »

He really did a Crayola makeup review and chose every shade of beige he could find? What’s the point?

Something about him bothers me and I can’t pinpoint it exactly.

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

Why he titles a lot of video as "extreme transformation" while it's really just a nighttime glam look or sometimes less? Nothing transformative or really groundbreaking. For instance the "extreme retro barbie transformation" is not extreme nor transforming imo (putting on a wig is really not much of a transformation).

captaintwiddelston
DONATOR
DONATOR

Post by captaintwiddelston »

PinkyPunch wrote:Why he titles a lot of video as "extreme transformation" while it's really just a nighttime glam look or sometimes less? Nothing transformative or really groundbreaking. For instance the "extreme retro barbie transformation" is not extreme nor transforming imo (putting on a wig is really not much of a transformation).
(new in the sub) Do remember that he's European, besides Nikkie doing glam most makeup here is very natural so that's probably it. I'm guessing he's catering to an European public while Nikkie more of an American.
Please excuse any mistakes as English is my second language.

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

Yes, he lives in London (but he is scottish or irish idk). Looking at his old vids, he was doing this kind of look (the "extreme transformation" type) for quite sometime by now. I think he is just simply not really creative when it comes to wearable but kinda unique looks. I'm from EU myself and here in the middle-east and more eastern countries like smokey eye and stuff. But not with super dark and/or black colors, more like neutral, toned down looks.

RegulusBlack
Learner
Learner

Post by RegulusBlack »

I'm so glad there's a thread for "Lord" John. He's so pompous and there's just something really off about him and I'm not talking only about his looks. He has an unsettling public persona.

I, like a lot of people, was first fascinated with his voice but then as fast as he grew on me I became wary of him. The last drop for me was a Q&A where someone asked if he was gay or "a homosexual" and he answered: "In those that ask the question, I do tend to sense an overwhelming eagerness to establish whether or not I'm a sodomite." I get people don't want to always establish their sexualities to an audience but if you're not LGBT+ or out as LGBT+ why would you use the word "sodomite" when it's so loaded with horrible connotations? Maybe he is LGBT+ and it was satire but, Jesus Christ, he tried way too hard to be witty and ended up sounding like a homophobe. He could have just said "It's a personal matter." [It's a phoe:soenal m-haettoe] and left it at that. He obviously doesn't present as what's considered "traditionally masculine" or even straight so naturally there will be questions. I find that for all of his pretended class that was an incredibly (c)rude thing to say. Of course everyone loved it because he was just so Sassy(tm).
captaintwiddelston wrote:
PinkyPunch wrote:Why he titles a lot of video as "extreme transformation" while it's really just a nighttime glam look or sometimes less? Nothing transformative or really groundbreaking. For instance the "extreme retro barbie transformation" is not extreme nor transforming imo (putting on a wig is really not much of a transformation).
(new in the sub) Do remember that he's European, besides Nikkie doing glam most makeup here is very natural so that's probably it. I'm guessing he's catering to an European public while Nikkie more of an American.
I don't think that really matters because the EU is saturated with American content so we (Europeans) have to always consider the cultural context. The Barbie transformation was pretty mediocre for a Youtube tutorial so feel free to go crazy on the keyboard bongos.

RegulusBlack
Learner
Learner

Post by RegulusBlack »

(Double posting, sorry.)

The way he fakes his accent speaks reminds me of Chris Fleming imitating theater kids overpronouncing the letter T:
[video][/video]

For reference:
[video][/video]

captaintwiddelston
DONATOR
DONATOR

Post by captaintwiddelston »

Didn't mean to attack anyone, I do find his videos euh special. I think he just put up a persona and basically acts like a 19th century lord wannabe.
I'm from Belgium and I literally never saw anyone over here do their makeup the American way <shrug> perhaps the UK is more like the US qua makeup.
Please excuse any mistakes as English is my second language.

Fredegund01
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Fredegund01 »

I going to against the grain and say, I enjoy Lord Maclean, he cracks me up. I know the accent is pure fiction, but i think its more of an artistic choice rather than trying to put on airs. To me its almost like he's creating an 18th century fop character for youtube and its hilarious. Of course its fake, the choices of words and pronunciation are more about creating a character. The Q&A's cracked me up as well, there's a lot of dry humour, there's a lot of refusing to be labelled and to me, that's in line with the expressions of gender that some of my transgender friends have done. People go through phases in their lives where they try different things, where they are trying to work out who they are and who they are, it changes. To me, that's what he's doing.

I don't watch all his videos, sometimes they're just not what I'm interested in watching that day, but I don't know, I think he's being deliberately funny and deliberately obscure and if he wants to do that, he can.

The Crayola video did not interest me at all, buy hey, I also like watching Tati and I am not watching her Crayola video either. The entire crayola makeup, and gimmick makeup, does not interest me at all.

Fire in Her Eyes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fire in Her Eyes »

Fredegund01 wrote:I going to against the grain and say, I enjoy Lord Maclean, he cracks me up. I know the accent is pure fiction, but i think its more of an artistic choice rather than trying to put on airs. To me its almost like he's creating an 18th century fop character for youtube and its hilarious. Of course its fake, the choices of words and pronunciation are more about creating a character. The Q&A's cracked me up as well, there's a lot of dry humour, there's a lot of refusing to be labelled and to me, that's in line with the expressions of gender that some of my transgender friends have done. People go through phases in their lives where they try different things, where they are trying to work out who they are and who they are, it changes. To me, that's what he's doing.

I don't watch all his videos, sometimes they're just not what I'm interested in watching that day, but I don't know, I think he's being deliberately funny and deliberately obscure and if he wants to do that, he can.

The Crayola video did not interest me at all, buy hey, I also like watching Tati and I am not watching her Crayola video either. The entire crayola makeup, and gimmick makeup, does not interest me at all.
I agree with you, he’s a character. :D I’m kind of over YouTube so I have stopped watching a lot of my old subscriptions but in general I also find him highly entertaining.

jujubones
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by jujubones »

I found myself here because I watched some of John's videos years back and after seeing some recent videos - woops sorry "Feelums", I could NOT believe how ridiculous his accent is. His old videos have a very obviously different accent, he actually sounds Scottish but now he sounds bizarre. His voice paired with the fact he enjoys pointing out how pale he is, as well as the whole "lord" and "immortal" thing, makes me think he likes to convey the whole "pale skin is a sign of wealth and status" idea and that it applies to him. It seems like his viewers are buying it but as a Scot I saw through that faux accent immediately. :rofl:

Also this is just my own opinion but I think his makeup never really looks that great? The recent villain eye-makeup video was awful. :?

Return to “F-J”