Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 2

Post by butterybiscuitspread »

Julestielman wrote:
notyourcupoftea wrote:
Julestielman wrote:Is it just me or does Cassey Ho’s (Blogilates) arm workouts seem too easy? Yes, they burn. But I doubt that flapping your arms in the air burns fat or builds any muscle.
I used to Like Cassey Ho until I got into lifting. I think she caters more towards women who are afraid of getting "bulky".
Yeah, I agree that weights do not make women bulky. Ever since I got into lifting, I find her workouts not as intense. I only do them if I can’t make it to the gym that day.
for more intense at home workouts I prefer fitness blender

orangesocks
Informer
Informer

Post by orangesocks »

I've been wanting to train more in a powerlifting style but I am struggling SO MUCH with squat form. Either my knees or my hips hurt and I'm struggling to get proper depth. I feel like I've watched every single squat tutorial video on YouTube and they've just confused me more because they all suggest something slightly different. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this is a generic or annoying question

Elizakitty25
Debater
Debater

Post by Elizakitty25 »

orangesocks wrote:I've been wanting to train more in a powerlifting style but I am struggling SO MUCH with squat form. Either my knees or my hips hurt and I'm struggling to get proper depth. I feel like I've watched every single squat tutorial video on YouTube and they've just confused me more because they all suggest something slightly different. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this is a generic or annoying question
I train in powerlifting and have always struggled with squats. They just don’t feel natural to me at all. I can only advise you what I’ve tried, I mean I’m still crap at squats but they’re no where near as bad as they used to be!

Can you get into a bodyweight squat comfortably? I spent a lot of time with a low weight just trying to feel okay in that position. I find a slightly wider stance with feet turned out easier.

In terms of depth, I find lifting shoes to be a great help as I have long femurs and I feel they allow me to remain upright during high bar. I also wear knee sleeves as have had issues with knee pain in the past (touch wood they have been fine recently) . Do you do much mobility work/stretching/foam rolling? Also my coach advised to do some glute activation stuff before I squat to stop my quads taking over.

I’d just take it right back to basics - bodyweight squats until you can perfect the form and then maybe progress onto goblet squats or box squats for a while until you’re pain free :)

Von_Haute
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Von_Haute »

orangesocks wrote:I've been wanting to train more in a powerlifting style but I am struggling SO MUCH with squat form. Either my knees or my hips hurt and I'm struggling to get proper depth. I feel like I've watched every single squat tutorial video on YouTube and they've just confused me more because they all suggest something slightly different. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this is a generic or annoying question
squats are very individual and from my experience there is no right answer except what works for you. Even if those videos confused you, have you tried what they suggest? Think about it this way: squats are a mechanical exercise, so from the physics perspective a squat from a short legged person will be different from a squat of a long femur person, or other variables, like the poster above me mentioned (mobility, shoes, high bar, low bar...)
I had the opposite problem, for me it was extremely easy to go ass to grass, but in the long term it wasn't the best for me so I had to learn not to go too low on the squat, which is probably something that every YT tutorial will tell you to do.
Practice makes perfect, so I recommend you to keep trying the different variations with the barbell with no weights. And work on your mobility, it sure does help
Sorry for what I say when I'm hungry.

Post by Guest »

My marathoners, when do u guys train legs? N how hard. Does it interfere with running?
Rn i’m planning on running 3 days a week, every other day.

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wilmadawn »

Le sigh wrote:My marathoners, when do u guys train legs? N how hard. Does it interfere with running?
always after a run, never before. i do weighted legs about once per week and some body weight stuff once per week. sometimes I'm sore from the weights but to be honest, it doesn't really bother my runs too much. i also don't go very heavy though, im sure if i went heavier it could interfere more with my runs.

orangesocks
Informer
Informer

Post by orangesocks »

@Elizakitty25 @Von_Haute

Thanks for the suggestions!! Yeah I have scaled back on the weight and am trying to play around with the different options. The problem is that they all feel unnatural in a different way, haha. I can reach depth without pain doing bodyweight or with just the bar but the movement still doesn't feel 100% comfortable (vs something like deadlifts which have felt pretty natural from day one). Will keep working and consider your suggestions!!

Nope nope
Informer
Informer

Post by Nope nope »

Von_Haute wrote: I had the opposite problem, for me it was extremely easy to go ass to grass, but in the long term it wasn't the best for me so I had to learn not to go too low on the squat, which is probably something that every YT tutorial will tell you to do.
How did you "unlearn" the ass to grass form? I have the same issue. I somehow end up going too low even if I try not to.

Von_Haute
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Von_Haute »

Nope nope wrote:
Von_Haute wrote: I had the opposite problem, for me it was extremely easy to go ass to grass, but in the long term it wasn't the best for me so I had to learn not to go too low on the squat, which is probably something that every YT tutorial will tell you to do.
How did you "unlearn" the ass to grass form? I have the same issue. I somehow end up going too low even if I try not to.
It was tricky, especially because in the beginning I wasn't using knee sleeves (and even today I only start using them at 80%, but I think they help me not to go that low, or maybe it's a mental thing). But I practiced with my boyfriend/training partner telling me "stop" for every rep every time I hit below paralel but not ass to grass. I also changed my stance a little bit (I prefer a bit wider than the "same as shoulders length" as everyone says in tutorials) and toes pointing a little bit out. You can try this as an test, if your stance is wider, then you naturally won't go that low, so it's just a question of finding the comfortable position. I hope this helps :)
Sorry for what I say when I'm hungry.

fitnessanstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by fitnessanstuff »

Hey you guys! I'm fairly new to GG mainly this forum but I wanted to get your opinions:

So in the past year I have done what I believe to be an amazing body recomp when I first started lifting weights from cardio I was 118 measurments 32-23-33 struggling with gaining wait and maintaining a positive body image. Fast forward 2 years to now Im sitting at about 145 (i havent weighed myself since I started cutting) post bulk with measurments 34 26 41! Im really proud of the changes I've been able to make to my body and I want to start a channel to give girls information on how to build a body they want instead of opting to get plastic surgery for that Kylie jenner body (BBLs are very popular among college aged girls where i live) . I know that theres a lot of talk about how its wrong to charge for guides when you aren't certified (i am not) but if I were to share my info with people it would be thorough and talk a lot of effort on my end.

Basically I'm wondering would it be wrong to charge $5 to $10 dollars for a "guide"? If so would you suggest just giving the info away instead? Sorry this post is super wordy I'm just trying to avoid being as much of a fitspo as possible! Thanks

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

fitnessanstuff wrote:Hey you guys! I'm fairly new to GG mainly this forum but I wanted to get your opinions:

So in the past year I have done what I believe to be an amazing body recomp when I first started lifting weights from cardio I was 118 measurments 32-23-33 struggling with gaining wait and maintaining a positive body image. Fast forward 2 years to now Im sitting at about 145 (i havent weighed myself since I started cutting) post bulk with measurments 34 26 41! Im really proud of the changes I've been able to make to my body and I want to start a channel to give girls information on how to build a body they want instead of opting to get plastic surgery for that Kylie jenner body (BBLs are very popular among college aged girls where i live) . I know that theres a lot of talk about how its wrong to charge for guides when you aren't certified (i am not) but if I were to share my info with people it would be thorough and talk a lot of effort on my end.

Basically I'm wondering would it be wrong to charge $5 to $10 dollars for a "guide"? If so would you suggest just giving the info away instead? Sorry this post is super wordy I'm just trying to avoid being as much of a fitspo as possible! Thanks
Would it be wrong for me to treat you, if i'm not a doctor?

fitnessanstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by fitnessanstuff »

ghoulish_babe wrote:
fitnessanstuff wrote:Hey you guys! I'm fairly new to GG mainly this forum but I wanted to get your opinions:

looking for actual feedback please! I'm not trying to scam anyone and by your logic, I can't tell if youre saying the issue is with giving out any information without certification or charging money for said info. I'd appreciate if you could elaborate thanks!

Zomgirl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Zomgirl »

My biggest issue with "booty guides" and plans is that most IG girls provide cookie cutter workouts that they sell to the masses with the promise that the customer will achieve a specific look. I think this approach is deceiving when there are many variables that affect body shape and composition. I don't see anything wrong with it if you disclose your lack of formal education/certifications and take the approach that you're selling your experience instead of promising them specific results. "This is what I accomplished and this is how I did it" is much different than "this is what you can accomplish if you do this." Just my opinion.

fitnessanstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by fitnessanstuff »

Zomgirl wrote:

My biggest issue with "booty guides" and plans is that most IG girls provide cookie cutter workouts that they sell to the masses with the promise that the customer will achieve a specific look. I think this approach is deceiving when there are many variables that affect body shape and composition. I don't see anything wrong with it if you disclose your lack of formal education/certifications and take the approach that you're selling your experience instead of promising them specific results. "This is what I accomplished and this is how I did it" is much different than "this is what you can accomplish if you do this." Just my opinion.
okay! I totally get where youre coming from! I think what I want to do is compile all of the information I've learned over the past 2 years on muscle activation and how to structure workouts. Where I'm from, I find the girls I talk to find exercise too daunting and surgery as a guarenteed fix that will only cost them their refund checks. That's why I want to get y'alls opinions because I used to be very against people selling guides without certification until I tried to actually put one together lol.

Hopefully you all get where I'm coming from!

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

fitnessanstuff wrote:
Zomgirl wrote:

okay! I totally get where youre coming from! I think what I want to do is compile all of the information I've learned over the past 2 years on muscle activation and how to structure workouts. Where I'm from, I find the girls I talk to find exercise too daunting and surgery as a guarenteed fix that will only cost them their refund checks. That's why I want to get y'alls opinions because I used to be very against people selling guides without certification until I tried to actually put one together lol.

Hopefully you all get where I'm coming from!
Try making a fitness blog, youtube, or Instagram. It's good to build a following first. Also, I wouldn't recommend selling guides first. Post free downloadable guides & then maybe consider creating guides that cost money.

[shesaidit]
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by [shesaidit] »

Le sigh wrote:My marathoners, when do u guys train legs? N how hard. Does it interfere with running?
Lol don't do what I just did. I did a fairly heavy leg day on Monday and ran double digit miles Tuesday (couldn't resist squeezing in an outdoor long run while it was still nice out). I'm crying today. :rofl: :rofl: I'd try to keep a few days in between longer runs and heavier leg days. If you do it on the same day, try to space out running/lifting or refuel a bit in between. Maybe focus more on mobility/upper body/ pumper exercises on days when you run? Idk I'm not an expert, but I figure a heavy leg day is a huge stress on your legs, as is a long run so try to separate them. Maybe keep your heavy leg days to once a week for now too. On the plus side my running has definitely benefited from heavy glute/leg days. I always did some weights, but since I started targeting glutes/hamstrings more and doing a lot of unilateral work to even out imbalances a lot of hip issues from running have resolved themselves. I'm tired today but otherwise fine. In the past double digit runs would mean I'd barely be walking the next day due to hip flare ups.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

fitnessanstuff wrote:
ghoulish_babe wrote:

looking for actual feedback please! I'm not trying to scam anyone and by your logic, I can't tell if youre saying the issue is with giving out any information without certification or charging money for said info. I'd appreciate if you could elaborate thanks!
Clearly my issue is with both.

Post by Guest »

@fitnessanstuff
I’m with Zomgirl, as long as you specify the guide is What I did to accomplish xyz. I would personally never buy a guide from someone based on just their own transformation.
Seems like you are really passionate about fitness, why not get certification? It would give u more authority, and if you get results for other clients, that would legitimize your knowledge, I would have no problem buying a guide from a CPT.

@treelee
Girl, do you have a deathwish :P
Double digits, that really impressive. I’m still mucking around in the lower digits, but I’ll get to your level! Feels good tho, I’m getting hooked.

notyourcupoftea
Informer
Informer

Post by notyourcupoftea »

ghoulish_babe wrote:
fitnessanstuff wrote:
ghoulish_babe wrote:

Clearly my issue is with both.
I never dreamed of selling guides before I became certified by NASM. Even after becoming certified I STILL don't sell my guides. I give them out for free.

xsimplysweetx
Talker
Talker

Post by xsimplysweetx »

Sorry if this has been asked before (I tried to search for an answer but couldn't find one), but what would you say is the best macro calculator? I know they're not 100% accurate, but what is a good starting point?
I tried 3 different ones and got pretty different results so I have no idea where to start!

Return to “Fitness”