DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark 2

wooyww
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Re: DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark 2

Post by wooyww »

MissDelaney27 wrote:So she did the hold music in Jack and Dean's new video Cup Phones and I didn't even realise it was her until I saw that she was credited. It sounds very good and her voice isn't whispery at all. I wish she sang like that more often.
Wow really?! Her voice sounded so great DODIE why r you wasting it?? For the #aesthetic??
@bastilledan: i need to find some shade and curl up in a ball somewhere

sayingRAD247
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by sayingRAD247 »

Ngl was a little startled when i saw her Snapchat of her in the bath, if that camera had panned any lower it would have been an unsolicited clit pic :shock:
Does she do this often? I don't watch her insta/SC stories every day

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

sayingRAD247 wrote:Ngl was a little startled when i saw her Snapchat of her in the bath, if that camera had panned any lower it would have been an unsolicited clit pic :shock:
Does she do this often? I don't watch her insta/SC stories every day
I don't watch her Snapchat or Insta stories too much anymore either, but she has posted videos of her in the bath and the shower before...

It is kind of disturbing, especially when you consider that the majority of her audience is made up of kids.

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

She posted a cover of a Fleet Foxes song and I love it. It's really encouraging that she seems to be moving away from the wimpy whisper singing and embracing more power in her voice.

She has a great talent for finding harmony so this kinda thing is perfect for her!

MissDelaney27
Talker
Talker

Post by MissDelaney27 »

PocketPLocket wrote:She posted a cover of a Fleet Foxes song and I love it. It's really encouraging that she seems to be moving away from the wimpy whisper singing and embracing more power in her voice.

She has a great talent for finding harmony so this kinda thing is perfect for her!
I liked it too! Reminded me of dodie from years ago, when she seemed to actually enjoy making videos. I hope we'll get more stuff like this

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

I loved it too! The harmony sounded lovely and it wasn't whispery. A lot of her songs haven't been whispery lately, maybe she's starting to move past that. Knock on wood.

thejoker999
Debater
Debater

Post by thejoker999 »

She's very skilled when it comes to harmonising! And idk, I've always liked her covers as usually, they aren't too whispery!

chocolatecheesecakes
Talker
Talker

Post by chocolatecheesecakes »

I saw her on tour in Birmingham - she definitely wasn't whispery then, I didn't expect her to be good live at all but she really surprised me

tirg97kk
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by tirg97kk »

Is there a mental health issue dodie doesn’t have? Like I obviously support mental health awareness but she seems to suffer with everything? Depersonalisation, depression, anxiety AND an eating disorder? It worries me that she romanticises it, her audience is so young and they WILL copy

Post by Guest »

tirg97kk wrote:Is there a mental health issue dodie doesn’t have? Like I obviously support mental health awareness but she seems to suffer with everything? Depersonalisation, depression, anxiety AND an eating disorder? It worries me that she romanticises it, her audience is so young and they WILL copy
That's actually very common. I have a friend who suffers from an eating disorder and because of that is also dealing with depression and anxiety.
A lot of mental health issues have 'side effects' and can cause you to with more than one mental illness.
I don't know if I'm explaining this well and I really don't want to defend Dodie romantizing all of her illnesses. That is fucking terrible and i wish she would just get proper help instead telling all of those kids about her 'bad brain'.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

Dodie has an eating disorder? did she actually say it or like write about it in her book? I haven't read it

wooyww
Talker
Talker

Post by wooyww »

HaveSomeMilk wrote:Dodie has an eating disorder? did she actually say it or like write about it in her book? I haven't read it
She wrote a bit about it in her book. She also talked about how when she posted a photo of her stick thin body then she would get some comments like “wow are you eating properly” and some like “BODY GOALSSS” those would make her eating disorder worse

jess959
Talker
Talker

Post by jess959 »

hugo_carbret wrote:
tirg97kk wrote:Is there a mental health issue dodie doesn’t have? Like I obviously support mental health awareness but she seems to suffer with everything? Depersonalisation, depression, anxiety AND an eating disorder? It worries me that she romanticises it, her audience is so young and they WILL copy
That's actually very common. I have a friend who suffers from an eating disorder and because of that is also dealing with depression and anxiety.
A lot of mental health issues have 'side effects' and can cause you to with more than one mental illness.
I don't know if I'm explaining this well and I really don't want to defend Dodie romantizing all of her illnesses. That is fucking terrible and i wish she would just get proper help instead telling all of those kids about her 'bad brain'.
It's called co-morbidity :) It's really really common, a lot of mental health issues actually have overlapping symptoms (so for example schizophrenia & DID have overlapping symptoms, and things like anxiety and depresison are common together, and when an eating disorder is present there will be ohter conditions present.
Dodie does, however, romanticise her illnesses. She might not mean to, but she does

wooyww
Talker
Talker

Post by wooyww »

sorry to double post -

Thoughts on her new doddlevloggle video? She’s talking about the book sooooo late. Maybe she was told to make a video on it to promote it by her publishers. She did say she felt what she was filming was shit so?? Why

Also, her reading aloud felt like she was rushing it, the way I read aloud something that doesn’t matter at all. It’s your “arty poetic” book dodie, at least give it some respect in that you read it aloud in a way which feels appropriate and makes it look good.

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

Yeah this video was obviously Josh or her publisher saying "You need to push your book!" Her heart wasn't in it at all, why bother reading out a bit if you're going to do it half arsed?

It probably have a little flurry of sales when it first came out, but then she didn't promote it at all so sales have gone kaput.

Silent Q
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Silent Q »

Her new video came across kind of like her Pasta is Good Life is Sad video to me. Idk, I actually really liked it. Everyone being sarcastically excited about where to buy the book at the end, and Hazel yelling stuff from the other room, was pretty funny.

It did feel like someone had said “alright Dodie, you have to say SOMETHING about your book” but she made pasta from the book recipe and did the little animation thing, so she put some effort in rather than just sitting down in front of the camera and saying something about it really quick.

tirg97kk
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by tirg97kk »

hugo_carbret wrote:

Ohhh thanks for explaining. I’m not saying it’s invalid or anything I just find it a bit worrying that she posts about all of these issues so often? She’s very ‘asthetic’ and so many people look up to her. It concerns me that 12 year olds will think that issues are part of a ‘look’

sayingRAD247
Learner
Learner

Post by sayingRAD247 »

I didn't mind that video! I liked that she seemed more normal and less persona-y, probably because she was moving around in a kitchen and just reading and cooking with Hazel watching rather than having her face right up in the camera and being by herself, where she'd have more room to be self-indulgent. Because of that she came across as healthier and happier? I might need to watch it again. I'm still not sold on her writing style at all, it'll probably never be my cup of tea, but that clip of her reading out her audiobook sounded quite nice. Peaceful and calming. She could be quite a good audiobook reader actually; she could read YA stuff for young/teen girls.
I also found Daniel's little bit at the end SO funny, I enjoyed that :lol:

2emma1
Talker
Talker

Post by 2emma1 »

That video was pleasant, with her just walking around the kitchen and interacting with her friends (the end was very cute) but when she read that part of the book, ending with like " breating in a mixture of hope depression and hurt" (so mostly negative) and then going "awwwww" smiling at the book :roll: like jesus does this girl loves her suffering

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

Yeah the video itself of her chatting was nice, but the half assed reading really annoyed me. It was literally like she was reeling off a shopping list. She seems so apathetic about her book. Does she not realise how hard some people work to perfect their writing and get published?

Return to “DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark”