DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark 2

MissDelaney27
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark 2

Post by MissDelaney27 »

I agree with thevioletwanderer that the music and the music video don't actually go well together visually. I liked the idea though and I was so glad to see that there wasn't a single YouTuber/friend starring in it. It makes it way more professional in my eyes.

The cake thing was weird and out of place.

ejmc
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ejmc »

I feel like she has no identity as an artist, like all her videos have been so different. Like I understand they can't all be the same, but with a lot of artists you'll start watching a MV and be like "this is going to be ....", however dodie's have been all over the place. The video itself didn't have a proper identity, why the random portal at the end? why the monologue after the video?

Silent Q
Gossiper
Gossiper

DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark 2

Post by Silent Q »

Okay so In the Middle is about a hypothetical threesome between Dodie, her current love interest, and her ex love interest, right?

So why have they decided to make the video about newlyweds eyeing some old guy who has apparently been third-wheeling couples throughout the history of time?

You guys, I’m not artsy-fartsy so can someone please explain what this is supposed to symbolize by making it an old guy instead of like... someone the bride or groom would believably be interested in having a threesome with? Because the comments all over the video are praising it for being meaningful and I think it’s just weird and doesn’t make sense.

Also the “old guy lip syncing to a woman’s voice” didn’t really even work when Carly Jepsen did it, so idk why they took that direction.

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kayuhsee »

Silent Q wrote:You guys, I’m not artsy-fartsy so can someone please explain what this is supposed to symbolize by making it an old guy instead of like... someone the bride or groom would believably be interested in having a threesome with? Because the comments all over the video are praising it for being meaningful and I think it’s just weird and doesn’t make sense.
Eh I don't think it's meaningful, it's just to be funny. Which I think is what Dodie and the team were probably going for. People just want to put meaning into it because it's Dodie, and she's "sooooooo deep".

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

I agree, that music video didn't make any sense at all, and the entire thing was just awkward and out of pace. There were so many things that they could have done with this song, so I have no idea why they decided to go for this.

Also, the cake monologue at the end just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the music video. It just seems like a lot of different people had a lot of different ideas, and they just threw them together and made this mess.

WonderingNY
Lurker
Lurker

Post by WonderingNY »

The music video felt so unrelated to the song. It had so much potential for a really fun and crazy video and I just can't see how the video connects at all? You're a musician Dodie, not a comedian :?

Reprimand
Informer
Informer

Post by Reprimand »

What on earth was that MV?

Rose57
Informer
Informer

Post by Rose57 »

ColourlessGreenIdeas wrote: but I didn't know they were doing this project. I also know Cambria who was in Sick of Losing Soulmates. I keep getting like one or two degrees from Dodie, it shouldn't be a surprise as I work in the arts which are very small and intertwined, but I feel like I will probably meet her at some point. I wonder if I'll feel bad for talking about her here!

Anyway, I felt the video had a nice look to it but story-wise it was just a bit silly and vapid. ANd not in a fun way,more in a trying too hard way.
absolutely! i like the monologue on its own and the song on its own but the visuals of the mv were not fun, funny, or even intriguing to watch. and if it was meant to be funny for an overweight older man to be singing with dodie's "young youthful girly" voice then i think thats pretty low brow humor.

Frezzles
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Frezzles »

I thought the video was well done in terms of actual filming, colours etc, but tbh I didn't understand what it was trying to get at at all

snailmayor
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by snailmayor »

i'm pretty disappointed too. if i were to share dodie's music with a friend, in the middle is the song i would start with because it's (imo) her best song and it could be really marketable to a mainstream audience. but this isn't really a video i'd share with my friends? idk it just didn't sit right with me.

and, like someone said, "haha this man has a girly voice" really makes me roll my eyes. c'mon dodie.

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

Do we need a new thread?

Naandyrose
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Naandyrose »

Have you seen her snapchat today? She gave Evan some gifts and he gave her a Zoella stationary set. Sorry, but pretty sure he probably got that for free in like his P.O. box. Seems a bit shitty to me considering they are meant to be good friends and he can only gave her something he got for free and doesn't want?

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

Naandyrose wrote:Have you seen her snapchat today? She gave Evan some gifts and he gave her a Zoella stationary set. Sorry, but pretty sure he probably got that for free in like his P.O. box. Seems a bit shitty to me considering they are meant to be good friends and he can only gave her something he got for free and doesn't want?
That's Evan for you.

And doesn't this belong in the Evan thread? I mean, yeah, it's Dodie related, but this is definitely gossip about Evan.

clarbrook
Learner
Learner

Post by clarbrook »

Her makeup in her new video (where she is singing) is awful on her

coffelatte
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by coffelatte »

Dodie is pretty but she usually wears makeup/hairstyles that don't really work on her. She is usually is a hit or miss for me, she either looks really good or she doesn't, there is not a between.

Her eyebrows are also pretty but sometimes she goes a little too heavy with the makeup on to the point she looks like a character.
-english is not my first language-

penguins
Talker
Talker

Post by penguins »

I liked the singing in her new video but the gimmicky introductions between each one ruined it

archived
Informer
Informer

Post by archived »

clarbrook wrote:Her makeup in her new video (where she is singing) is awful on her
I saw it on her snapchat story and thought it was a joke, I don't know how she thought it looked good. She looked pretty as she was in the rest of the video so I don't know why she put it on.
penguins wrote:I liked the singing in her new video but the gimmicky introductions between each one ruined it
Agreed, I loved the video and the actual singing but the talky intros just broke it up and seemed like a desperate attempt to be funny.
yeehaw partner

Naandyrose
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Naandyrose »

Is it just me or did she look a lot like miranda sings in the latest video? Especially with some of the faces she was making.

BerryStrawberry
Talker
Talker

Post by BerryStrawberry »

She's never gonna be pretty, but she would look nicer if she took some scissors and tweezers to those godawful eyebrows, soon enough thwy'll reach her neck.

andreyisnthere
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by andreyisnthere »

merry christmas to those who celebrate!

elle mills released a video of her asking dodie to prom and then throwing a prom just for her. the beginning when she was asking dodie was pretty precious but once they got to the actual prom it was very awkward. maybe it would’ve been better if elle invited other people too, but i noticed dodie was really uninterested anyways. if she’d had a better attitude about it maybe it would’ve gone over better. her instagram from that night says “dressed up for ... turns out no reason today” which i feel is pretty ungrateful considering all of the work elle put into even just the proposal.

Return to “DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark”