clothesencounters PART 4

kimchijeon
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: clothesencounters PART 4

Post by kimchijeon »

elixid wrote:Slightly off tangent but in mention of Soph, she put out a mukbang and even though her Korean is really limited, she really tries to make an effort to speak to her mom in Korean. And she even translates what her mom says that doesn't make it to English. I never see Jenn do that. It's always some short clip of her showing her mom and saying she's sooooo thankful for her or whatever but speaks to her in 95% English. And you can tell how close Soph is with her parents while Jenn even has to have her parents be a certain image for her to poster into her Youtube life lmao
Do you remember which vids Sophia speaks korean in? I didn't know she speaks it at all to be honest, I love seeing 2nd+ gen asians try to speak their heritage language. It doesn't matter how much or how little they know what matters is that they try. I really respect joan kim for example for putting out vlogs in korean even though her grasp of the language is fairly weak, it takes a lot of guts to do something like that and not hide it like I lowkey feel jenn does. Now that you mention it I agree that she includes like 2 second clips of saying things like mom and dad or shoe in korean to kind of "prove" that she speaks it. When people ask her about her korean she always says that she speaks it fluently but it's just not as perfect as her english. Like girl, english is your native language of course it's not as fluent as your goddamn english, that's like saying I speak french but it's not as strong as my english even though all I know is bonjour, it means nothing. There's no shame in children of immigrants not speaking their heritage language, it's not their fault they didn't learn it as kids and it's true that learning as adults is very different and takes a lot of blood sweat and tears but if that's the case don't put on this facade of knowing more than you actually do.

On the one hand I don't want to come down too hard on jenn cause I know heritage language stuff can bring up some painful identity issues but on the other hand if she's going to insist on capitalizing off her ~koreanness~ the least she can do is be honest about it. It's just annoying lol

peachypeachy
Talker
Talker

Post by peachypeachy »

^I agree with you. I don't think any of us are being too hard on any of these youtubers. It comes with the profession. Jenn puts her life in the spotlight and in return, she gets to be a millionaire. You can't be in the limelight and complain about "haters" and "negative criticisms". That doesn't work because the world doesn't revolve around her and everything can't be rainbows and butterflies. How one deals with criticism is how one grow and show these "haters" that they're wrong. Jenn obviously can't take criticism and just dwells in her perfect little bubble like world issues don't disrupt the peace of JennLand. Maybe she can meditate and chase us away with her sage burning and crystals lol.

baconandeggs
Informer
Informer

Post by baconandeggs »

i wonder if jenn is a millionaire tho... :O
i'm sure laurDIY is (i think she should be smart enough to save her ad sense money, i heard her bf saves over 6 figures a month)

Callan
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Callan »

baconandeggs wrote:i wonder if jenn is a millionaire tho... :O
i'm sure laurDIY is (i think she should be smart enough to save her ad sense money, i heard her bf saves over 6 figures a month)
IF she was she shouldn't be wearing such poorly made clothing.

skycastles
Talker
Talker

Post by skycastles »

Over 6 figures a month?!!! You can't be serious. That's more money than most people will ever see in their life :(

baconandeggs
Informer
Informer

Post by baconandeggs »

skycastles wrote:Over 6 figures a month?!!! You can't be serious. That's more money than most people will ever see in their life :(
right!!!!!!! when you get millions and millions of views every month... it adds up!

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

To be fair, Alex has over 9 million subscribers and he uploads daily so it makes sense he makes a shitload of money. He also doesn't seem to spend that much money on himself- he bought his family a house and cars, and he bought Lauren a range rover. And he still manages to save 6 figures a month.

I think Jenn is a millionaire for sure because there's no way you could afford a 1.2 million dollar house in LA without the income to back it up- you wouldn't be able to get approved for a mortgage and no buyer would accept an offer that wasn't equal to or above asking price. I also think she would have more money if she wasn't spending so much all the time. She's basically supporting Ben and she's paying for her lifestyle times two for everything. I'm sure Ben is doing things here and there but he's probably making chump change and there's no way he could afford to pay for the things Jenn actually would want (hence, the dinky Cartier "engagement" ring that she replaced with a real ring).

Saturnangela7878
Informer
Informer

Post by Saturnangela7878 »

Callan wrote:
IF she was she shouldn't be wearing such poorly made clothing.
I swear I've never seen jen in a nice dress. She always wears these cheap, tacky dresses regardless of how big or fancy the event is.

Lamonde_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Lamonde_ »

Just wanted to post here what I’ve said in another thread since it’s relevant..

Steph launches her own shirt designs and it’s actually her own design and pretty decent quality and work. She’s doing a giveaway for the shirts as well as makeup since she received a lot and to thank her followers.

Now Jenn launched her brand and didn’t do any of that. Who did she gift it to though? Other yt and ig people. Yet she thanks her viewers for their support when she herself have never given anything back to them except sponsored videos, market a crappy clothing line and culturally appropriate her background since it’s profitable.

Saturnangela7878
Informer
Informer

kimchijeon wrote:
elixid wrote:Slightly off tangent but in mention of Soph, she put out a mukbang and even though her Korean is really limited, she really tries to make an effort to speak to her mom in Korean. And she even translates what her mom says that doesn't make it to English. I never see Jenn do that. It's always some short clip of her showing her mom and saying she's sooooo thankful for her or whatever but speaks to her in 95% English. And you can tell how close Soph is with her parents while Jenn even has to have her parents be a certain image for her to poster into her Youtube life lmao
Do you remember which vids Sophia speaks korean in? I didn't know she speaks it at all to be honest, I love seeing 2nd+ gen asians try to speak their heritage language. It doesn't matter how much or how little they know what matters is that they try. I really respect joan kim for example for putting out vlogs in korean even though her grasp of the language is fairly weak, it takes a lot of guts to do something like that and not hide it like I lowkey feel jenn does. Now that you mention it I agree that she includes like 2 second clips of saying things like mom and dad or shoe in korean to kind of "prove" that she speaks it. When people ask her about her korean she always says that she speaks it fluently but it's just not as perfect as her english. Like girl, english is your native language of course it's not as fluent as your goddamn english, that's like saying I speak french but it's not as strong as my english even though all I know is bonjour, it means nothing. There's no shame in children of immigrants not speaking their heritage language, it's not their fault they didn't learn it as kids and it's true that learning as adults is very different and takes a lot of blood sweat and tears but if that's the case don't put on this facade of knowing more than you actually do.

On the one hand I don't want to come down too hard on jenn cause I know heritage language stuff can bring up some painful identity issues but on the other hand if she's going to insist on capitalizing off her ~koreanness~ the least she can do is be honest about it. It's just annoying lol
I find it so irritating and pretentious and pathetic that she can't answer a simple question. Less fluent than English? Uh she can't even communicate with her mom and has to use translators... why does she have to sugarcoat the statement. She ain't even conversational in Korean let alone fluent. I don't get these people who have extra energy to spend on being pretentious. I personally have better things to spend my energy on

the_nomad
Informer
Informer

Post by the_nomad »

Lamonde_ wrote:Just wanted to post here what I’ve said in another thread since it’s relevant..

Steph launches her own shirt designs and it’s actually her own design and pretty decent quality and work. She’s doing a giveaway for the shirts as well as makeup since she received a lot and to thank her followers.

Now Jenn launched her brand and didn’t do any of that. Who did she gift it to though? Other yt and ig people. Yet she thanks her viewers for their support when she herself have never given anything back to them except sponsored videos, market a crappy clothing line and culturally appropriate her background since it’s profitable.
This. So. Much. The difference between Stephanie and Jenn is that Stephanie knows how hard she has to work to get those views and sponsorships; whereas Jenn is just offered sponsorships left and right. Also, Stephanie isn't your usual cookie-cutter conventionally pretty LA chick (although she is very pretty in her own right) and I think in a shallow place like LA, her manager/sister doesn't know how to market Stephanie compared to Jenn.

Jenn takes everything for granted and she only did a giveaway for Eggie after the people commented about it and around the second launch of her Eggie (gag) collection. I do find it interesting that she was able to give away her crappy clothes to YT/IG people but not her own actual fans the first time. She says she loves her "Eggies" but she rarely shows for it. She's so disingenuous and fake.

A few had mentioned while Sophia's Korean is limited, she still includes it in her videos and actually makes the effort to communicate with her family. Jenn likes to claim she's close to her parents but I don't buy it at all. Her interaction and the lack of attempt to converse with her parents in Korean or even Konglish seems otherwise. There is a way to make it work if both parties don't speak the other language well like Sophia has done but you have to want to make that effort. Jenn is just cashing in on how trendy it is to be Korean but truly doesn't care about her heritage or connecting with her parents beyond a superficial level as long as it looks cute to her fans.

peachypeachy
Talker
Talker

Post by peachypeachy »

I feel as though Jenn is entering the Michelle Phan fame territory where new subscribers who want to watch "fashion" videos flock to Jenn just like new makeup learners back in the days flocked to MP. This is why Jenn doesn't need to try to get views and sponsorships and thus, she takes everything for granted. She doesn't even need to worry if youtube fails because she's that well off now. Her clothing line is a fucking joke because with that amount of money she's gained from youtube she can definitely put out better quality clothes yet she deliberately chooses NOT to. She has the power to give back to her fans for giving her the luxury of living the life she has now but again, she chooses NOT to. She doesn't need to buy any high end fashion because it's all gifted to her. I guess what I don't understand is, what is she gonna do with this massive amount of money she already has? Like, what is she spending it on? I really don't understand.

skycastles
Talker
Talker

Post by skycastles »

Given her high standard of living in LA and the fact that she has to support Ben, I doubt Jenn is set for life. Also, amongst these Youtubers, it's always a competition. As long as there are other YT-bers making more money, Jenn will always want to make more too. She doesn't strike me as the type of person who will "settle" for her current way of living.

Wat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Wat »

Does Ben even work anymore?

sundayriley
Debater
Debater

Post by sundayriley »

the_nomad wrote:
A few had mentioned while Sophia's Korean is limited, she still includes it in her videos and actually makes the effort to communicate with her family. Jenn likes to claim she's close to her parents but I don't buy it at all. Her interaction and the lack of attempt to converse with her parents in Korean or even Konglish seems otherwise. There is a way to make it work if both parties don't speak the other language well like Sophia has done but you have to want to make that effort. Jenn is just cashing in on how trendy it is to be Korean but truly doesn't care about her heritage or connecting with her parents beyond a superficial level as long as it looks cute to her fans.
I'm completely perplexed by the fact that she can't communicate with her parents. If someone here can enlighten me please do! But I don't understand how a family functions without being able to speak to one another. Is this normal in Korean families? I don't mean to sound ignorant but it's also been mentioned that Sophia doesn't speak much Korean either. Young children pick up languages so easily I don't get how she has nothing. My parents are also immigrants and I am completely bilingual so it's all very strange to me...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

peachypeachy
Talker
Talker

Post by peachypeachy »

sundayriley wrote:
the_nomad wrote:
I'm completely perplexed by the fact that she can't communicate with her parents. If someone here can enlighten me please do! But I don't understand how a family functions without being able to speak to one another. Is this normal in Korean families? I don't mean to sound ignorant but it's also been mentioned that Sophia doesn't speak much Korean either. Young children pick up languages so easily I don't get how she has nothing. My parents are also immigrants and I am completely bilingual so it's all very strange to me...

I come from an immigrant family and am the oldest of 2. I'm fluent in cantonese while my little brother can only speak broken phrases here and there in cantonese. My parents are stricter with me since I am the oldest and therefore am expected to communicate fluently in English and Cantonese. Sometimes I even have to translate what my little brother is saying to my parents because even though they've tried to send him to chinese school he just doesn't retain any learning. They've basically given up on him because as long as 1/2 kids can speak Cantonese and translate, it's all good. I imagine that's what happened with Jenn's family. Her brother being the eldest can speak fluent Korean therefore she thinks she doesn't have to. Her parents have also given up on enforcing Korean upon her so she just goes on to blabber english around her parents expecting them to understand when they clearly don't and just ignore her.

kimdoyeon
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kimdoyeon »

sundayriley wrote:
the_nomad wrote:

they do speak to one another and can communicate. it's just that they can't discuss deeper topics and i dont think they can speak quickly to each other either (like jenn says she speaks quickly in her videos and her mom wouldn't understand). the annoying thing is how jenn constantly talks about how sad she is that she couldn't connect with her parents deeper via their conversations and yet she does absolutely NOTHING to improve it. shit like "yo umma" "fighting" "aegie" is not going to help her connect with her parents. :roll:

Callan
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Callan »

Jenn talks to strangers more than she talks to her own parents.

Lamonde_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Lamonde_ »

BET, She’ll be more invested in learning and speaking Korean if she gets sponsored to do it in Korea.

Saturnangela7878
Informer
Informer

Jen and vagabond Amy filmed a video called negative emotions and they both said they have angry dads and they were saying how it's typical among Korean men... which makes me wonder if possibly their dads were abusive and they think it's normal ? I just hated how they said in the video that it's typical among older Korean men ajusshi and didn't really seem to find anything wrong with that or at least didn't express it. Is it that in Korean families Are dads allowed to throw temper tantrums while everyone else in the family suppress their anger or something ??? I actually didn't 100% understand what they said since they didn't explain it

As far as I can tell she barely talks/talked to her mom and that accounts for her inaibility to speak and comprehend Korean ( less fluent than English is an exaggeration to say the least ) and her mom's inability to understand her. The fact that her mom can't understand her if she speaks too fast or just speaks something out of the mom's scope of English (which seems tiny from my having witnessed Jen's mom ignore in her vlog from not understanding her lol) speaks volumes as to how Unclose they are

Return to “Jenn Im”