Where Beauty Lies (beneath the glitter sequel)

FrancescaPe
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where Beauty Lies (beneath the glitter sequel)

Post by FrancescaPe »

bspatrol wrote:well it has "lies" in the title, which is about just as fitting is having "live" tattooed on your forearm where in the mirror it spells "evil."
:shock:

Melissa
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Melissa »

I would never pick that book up if I saw it in a store. It looks beyond boring and ugly. :?

Kamakazi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kamakazi »

baconpancakes wrote:I really get the feeling that the books are Elles' project and Blairs name is put on there just bc they're sisters. Something about the cover is weird tho. The reflection of the couch is odd and the shopping bags etc don't look right. I could see this being the kind of book I'd read at the beach or something. Kind of like a Candace Bushnell style book (SATC and Lipstick Jungle). ^ p.s I :love2: the Little Prince! It's in my nightstand right now :toad:
I agree; I feel like it is much more Elle than Blair. Especially because Elle does her "Glitterature" (or however she spells that) videos often. I've never seen/heard/read anything about Blair enjoying books or anything along those lines.

J-Bird
Learner
Learner

Post by J-Bird »

I thought the first book cover was an actual picture that was Photoshopped to give it that sparkly, soft focus look. You can tell this one was put together using images on a computer.

I sometimes walk down to Barnes & Nobel after work and I'm tempted to stay in there for a few hours and read some of the first one.

Jessy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Jessy »

I am an illustration student and cannot even begin to explain all of the design errors on that cover. It's really shocking to me that they approved that, which makes me think they didn't hire a very good illustrator! That chair in the mirror really ruins the whole thing for me. It is just awful! Did they go around and take pictures of their furniture and then send it to an "illustrator" who cut and pasted them onto a backdrop in photoshop? The color palette would be nice if there was one! It is just various shades of a cool pink and then BAM! A very warm yellow and a very warm teal. They needed to introduce more warm colors into their design to make those shopping bags pop. They do not pop now, they are distracting and make this design very uneasy on the eyes. It's difficult to view it as one cohesive picture...your eyes have to dart from detail to detail. Also, The bottom right corner is a "grounding" area in an image and the illustration is so out of balance. Placing such an eye catching color in the lower right corner ads so much weight to it! The whole image is completely off balance because of that, especially considering the upper left corner is creating an awkward shape and is a terrible example of negative space.

CreativeUsername
Talker
Talker

Post by CreativeUsername »

"A Beneath The Glitter Novel." Sounds like we can expect a trilogy. :barf:

The cover illustration is laughably terrible because it's a cheap airport read aimed at ten year olds. If Elle and Blair didn't brag about it to such an unnecessary extent and try to make it seem more extravagant than it is, no one would take any notice. If it were my book I would be ashamed, quite frankly. Do they actually believe this rubbish is good?

Besides, they obviously didn't write it themselves. They were APPROACHED by a publisher - it was written by a failing novelist with a lackluster PG brief. :?

The only people who actually bought this train wreck of a book were preteen fangirls dumb enough to believe the hype (created by the Fowler sisters alone).
I apologise in advance if I have caused any offence in the post above! It is never my intention. <3

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

"Where beauty lies"?

Yeah, because I really want to hear about where they think beauty lies...
Oh wait, is it in plastic surgery or makeup?

Jessy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Jessy »

^^ hahaha ^^

I kind of want to read the books because I love reading stupid teen novels (I'm 19 I can still get away with it until August!!!) lolol. But I'm also curious to try and figure out what parts are "loosely based on their lives" and what parts are complete bs. I've also been in bed for 3 days with the stomach flu so I may be saying all of this out of boredom :? .

TeamCupcakes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TeamCupcakes »

I kinda do and kinda don't want to read them. However, I have read and watched a lot of reviews (that werent done by fangirls) and the people mention how there were a lot of typos and other mistakes in the book. I can't read a book with errors it would drive me nuts haha

I find that to be unprofessional, especially with the way they say they have all this input, why release a book with that many errors.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I couldn't read it because 1)It's not my type of book and 2)It would become glaringly obvious that they just tried to follow some formula for making a book for teens rather than truly having any original ideas or passion about writing it. Just follow the formula and bring in the money.

LovelyTurtle
Stalker
Stalker

Post by LovelyTurtle »

The entire thing has a sort of aura coming off of it that screams "fake".
But, then again, this is Elle and Blair's book...

jean101
Informer
Informer

Post by jean101 »

I always find it kinda weird that they call it "their baby" when really they sat in a boardroom, someone told them the plot, they agreed on maybe names perhaps, maybe the place where it's set and then some failed author went away and wrote it for them. Now they feel like they have some kind of deep passion for it when in reality all they've done is read it and have their name printed on it.

Silver Rose 39
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Silver Rose 39 »

jean101 wrote:I always find it kinda weird that they call it "their baby" when really they sat in a boardroom, someone told them the plot, they agreed on maybe names perhaps, maybe the place where it's set and then some failed author went away and wrote it for them. Now they feel like they have some kind of deep passion for it when in reality all they've done is read it and have their name printed on it.
Don't forget there was some vlog blair did, where she mispronounced something or forgot a word or something like that and she said 'Wow you'd think I hadn't written a book' or something along those lines. Personally I don't think telling someone the basic storyline and character names really counts as writting.

Melissa
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Melissa »

I don't know why everyone thinks there was a ghost writer. I haven't read the book or anything, but it's obvious Elle loves to read (and probably write, too). I don't see why it's that hard to believe...

Silver Rose 39
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Silver Rose 39 »

Melissa wrote:I don't know why everyone thinks there was a ghost writer. I haven't read the book or anything, but it's obvious Elle loves to read (and probably write, too). I don't see why it's that hard to believe...
Elle said in one on her videos that they had help writing it. Someone also said that in the book there's a thanks to a 'writing assistant' or something like that. Between those 2 things they basically admitted that the had a ghost writer.

tillwesurrender
Learner
Learner

Post by tillwesurrender »

same problem with this cover I had with the last one- the proportions seem off to me, why is the dress almost twice the size of the chair? Anyways, did anybody read the first one? I didn't. How was it? x

yiyiyoyo
Learner
Learner

Post by yiyiyoyo »

i'd probably only buy the book if i saw it at an op shop for like $.50-$3 to be honest only if i was desperate for a book.
:zz:

(also I love how the chairs reflection looks like it's floating and badly photo shopped..did they use paint or something?! :? )
u r supa sasssy!!!1!!111!

blahness
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blahness »

The title is so stupid..... "where beauty lies" really? come on you two couldnt think of or pay someone to think of something better than that.

fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fossilfinger »

It's a double entendre! It's so clever!!!!oneoneone

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Cover looks like crap for so many reasons. One that glares out at me (aside from the weird artwork) is the type. There's not enough contrast between the title and the Elle and Blair logo so the title just looks kind of awkward. I'm a graphic design student and it makes me twitch.

Return to “Elle & Blair”