Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Casey Neistat, Part #2

Post by horatio »

Happy_one wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am
I wonder what was he telling people during his presentation at Vidsummit this year.
Make your money and get out!

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Happy_one wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 am
horatio wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 am
Happy_one wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am
I wonder what was he telling people during his presentation at Vidsummit this year.
Make your money and get out!
:rofl:
you're probably right. What the hell does he do for a living now out in CA? Youtube has changed so much.
He almost certainly doesn’t “need” to work ever again after selling off Beme to CNN... He seems to be embracing the California surfer/ hippy dad thing at the moment. Including growing his hair...

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

This WSJ article speculated $25m https://www.wsj.com/articles/cnn-buys-c ... 1480353128

Obviously anything remotely close to that, and however much he earned solely would probably be life changing. Not accounting for all the brand deals and speaking engagements he was doing at his peak which probably would have earned more than enough on its own.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

Let's not forget he borrowed money to get Beme set up and running and the California life is probably pretty expensive.

ziggy777
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ziggy777 »

Interesting video.

Candice would literally complain about anything. Boo hoo Casey put you in the vlogs. I'm sure she didn't mind when that resulted in selling Beme.

I dunno, I like Candice in general, I think she's funny, but I just can't get on the train that she is some sort of victim.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

summerthroughwindow wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:49 pm
fuck I hate this guy. self-serious, completely loves himself, and talks in complete riddles but thinks it's some amazing life advice that we – the average shitkicking Walmart employee (metaphorically) – should and are able to take on. he thinks he's some kind of beacon of amazement.
While I don't hate him per se, I do kinda agree with most of what you're saying. I will say, however, that he always seemed self-aware to me. I think the Casey we see on camera is a character, I don't think he thinks of himself as being that amazing or inspirational, I think he's much more cynical than that, he knows this is what sells his brand and keeps doing it.

I remember the story he told on some podcast, about working in a restaurant when he was very young, and how he knew he had to befriend the waiting stuff and be aggressive and weird to the kitchen people, or some bullshit like that, in order to get respect.

That story made me think he knows the real him is boring, so he has to "fake it till he makes it" and be someone else. That someone else earned him a ton of connections and opportunities, then it earned him a fanbase and millions of dollars. He will keep doing it. But I doubt he believes it.
seems like the sort of dude who was given free rent and still saw himself as some horseshit American 'hustler' because like, he had to work and pay for stuff and like, sometimes things didn't work out.
I mean, I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but with no looks and marginal talent, this dude became someone. Out of millions of newyorkers who try to make something of themselves and fail, this guy won big time. And not just in NYC, worldwide. Whether we respect that or not, whether we respect YouTube or not, that's a different subject. But he has hustled his way to the top, no matter what you think of him or his work.

I personally happen to like some of his work, the thing I dislike is how repetitive it all is. He's a one trick pony.
the dude skateboards around, wears those heinously ugly glasses that aren't even cool (and thinks it's some anti-capitalist statement against Ray Ban, while working for a cynical and manipulative company like Youtube and many others),
The skateboard/sunglasses thing is probably fun for him, but it's also his image. The one I talked about in my first paragraph. It's a brand. The same way Arnie exaggerates his Austrian accent because that's what his fans expect from him, Casey exaggerates this persona because, well, it sold well and still kinda does.
and jets around the world like he's still 22 and single. the guy is a knobhead.
Most of his travels were for work. Can't blame a guy for flying all over the world to get paid. Seems like those are pretty easy gigs, too. I'm all for criticizing him and you've made some valid points above, but this just seems like straight up hatred. Give the guy a break, we'd fly like that too if it meant getting paid 5-6 figures for a few hours of easy work.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

ziggy777 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 am
Interesting video.

Candice would literally complain about anything. Boo hoo Casey put you in the vlogs. I'm sure she didn't mind when that resulted in selling Beme.

I dunno, I like Candice in general, I think she's funny, but I just can't get on the train that she is some sort of victim.
I'm sure she didn't mind when it resulted in sales of her jewelry, because most of her appearances in the vlog were ads for her shop.

SushiKattt
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by SushiKattt »

I don’t understand the hype about him. When people talk about him they also go on this long tangent about how he’s a visionary and complex man but I’m not seeing that. When I watch his videos I just see an adult man-child who has money to buy useless toys and hang out with 20 year olds. He does talk in riddles and anyone who truly believes anything he says is important or holds value is BS’ing themselves. He reminds me too much of those internet gurus like Gary Vee & Tai Lopez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

He puts a lot of effort into his vlogs, and when he used to do it daily, it was impressive. Especially a few years ago when vlogging meant terrible camera work and sloppy editing.

There’s also no drama around him, people simply respect him and see him as one of YT’s best creators. We can go on and on dissecting his work, career and personal life, but truth to be told, his content used to be good and very well put together, and unless you want to nitpick the shit out of him, you have to agree that his stuff is pretty decent and high-effort.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Yeah I completely agree with you. Whatever your opinion of him personally I find it really unconvincing when people criticise his editing. To me his talent is pretty objective (as much as it can be)regardless of opinion. I’m no expert but do do some simple editing at work so I’m not a complete novice. I’d love to be able to do a fraction of what Casey can do.
Anyway what’s more important is how influential he was on the vlogging and caused pretty much everyone on YouTube from top to bottom to step up the quality of their content, or at least try to. A huge amount of different sorts of people. It was crazy at his peak seeing that all start to happen.

I also really liked his new video. Have been ambivalent about the last few and I have a vague theory about it. They were all about travel, lifestyle and work. Well made as ever but lacking heart. He’s also very rowerirve and a bit affected on these subjects
I think Casey shines when he’s happy and in love and making a video about it. I remember one video for instance, way back when Frannie was first born, where he took her out for the day in her pram and the whole thing was so sweet and adoring and the music was spot on too that it’s really stuck in my head. Anyway I felt something similar watching this new one but directed towards Candice. He’s got some great old ones about her too. And Owen.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

The recent video with Candice was...alright. I wish he hadn't included the clip at the end--with them on the plane admitting to having marital issues.

Yeah, we all know relationships are hard work. But wasn't the whole reason Casey agreed to move to LA and not work as much was to appease Candice? Wasn't she the one who felt the family was suffering because of his work? She got everything she wanted and yet, here they are, still miserable. I'd make the obvious suggestion that maybe they'd be better off apart, but I think these two like being miserable together.

If I remember correctly, from past vlogs, Candice is a mean drunk. Funny how she associates "reconnecting" and having fun with being totally wasted when, from what it seems, a drunk Candice is a nightmare to be around.

With them having so much family nearby, I wonder why it took them so long to get away for the weekend.

ziggy777
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ziggy777 »

Candice proves that humans are terrible at predicting what will make them happy. I never thought she was going to like LA. NYC was perfect for her cranky personality. Living near family sounds nice but then you realize there is freedom in not living near them too. Casey is the kind of person who would be happy anywhere. He just dives into his exercise and his work and he’s happy. I think deep down Candice resents him for that. I always thought this move to LA was a big mistake and now I’m convinced.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

Speaking of Candice...

Recently, I read that the department store Barneys filed for bankruptcy. Candice had her jewelry line in their NYC and LA stores. I wonder if the store closing will impact her business.

My favorite project of Casey's was this promo video he did announcing the jewelry line was available at Barneys.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

I mean, if their podcast was anything to go by, Candice is a very unhappy woman because she's older and a mom now and she misses her old single life. It's the typical case of people not being cut out to be parents/familymen but doing it anyway, for whatever reason, then regretting it. Moving to another city will not change that.

I don't understand why she chose the family route if she was happy being wealthy and single in NYC, I mean, I know she's in her 40s now but come on, rich people get to live like youngsters all their lives if they really want to, age was definitely not an issue for her.

But hey, it is what it is. She has small kids now, she'd better pull it goether.

brusselsprout
Lurker
Lurker

Post by brusselsprout »

Dobrica wrote:
Principessa_NYC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:42 pm
ImageHas it ever been mentioned how motha fuckin fugly Casey is on this thread? Image
Has it ever been relevant, though? I actually respect him for getting himself on camera and achieving so much success through vlogging his life, looking like that. And he acknowledges, too, he doesn't seem in denial about it. Others would be really self-conscious.

Meanwhile you have very pretty girls still facetuning and getting work done on their faces, this guy just DGAF and has achieved more than most people calling him ugly on YouTube (I don't mean you, I mean the random YT hate comments). Goes to show that how you carry yourself and your attitude gets you further in life than sheer good looks alone. Although those help as well, of course.
Lowkey I always thought Casey was hot haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

I'm a straight guy, so I find it hard to gauge how attractive guys are, but I think Casey is a perfect example of the whole "rule 1: be attractive, rule 2: don't be unattractive" mindset.

Even though he may not have been blessed genetically, he keeps himself fit, he wears good clothes that fit, and he has a confidence and DGAF attitude that puts him miles ahead of other more conventionally attractive guys. Plus he's successful af. There are literally millions of guys more gifted in terms of looks who don't take care of themselves/their appearance/their demeanor and end up being way below Casey on the food chain.

So yeah, if you find Casey attractive, I get it. If you don't find him attractive, I get it. But the guy is definitely the definition of confidence and making the best out of what God gave you and again, he deserves praise for that.

starlight7
Informer
Informer

Post by starlight7 »

So he's back to vlogging, filming his kids and Candice's family which made me wonder why he would do that now that they are settled in California and have privacy. Turns out he listed their house this month and is collecting coins for an upgrade. Youtubers and influencers are so predictable, it's disgusting.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

It sounds to me like they wanna go back to NY.

ziggy777
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ziggy777 »

My theory is Candice actually hates living near her family and just wants to get out of CA and doesn't care where. Based on the "drama" in the last vlog, her parents sound like a pain in the ass lol

My guess is they move to Austin. And yeah, he's definitely trying to collect some extra YT money to make up for the cost of leaving CA so soon, but hey why not. I've been enjoying the mini-vlogs

Lolokwow
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Lolokwow »

starlight7 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:55 am
So he's back to vlogging, filming his kids and Candice's family which made me wonder why he would do that now that they are settled in California and have privacy. Turns out he listed their house this month and is collecting coins for an upgrade. Youtubers and influencers are so predictable, it's disgusting.
Jesus they literally just did an architectural digest on the home. They're too old to still be so flighty with their lives. Two 40 years continuously trying to live like they did in their 20s.

Return to “Casey Neistat”