EDucating Shanny

SnerdBlossom
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EDucating Shanny

Post by SnerdBlossom »

Here are some tidbits about this woman/child: She is 32 or 33 years old, acts 12, looks and dresses like she's in middle school, cannot stand her husband...she seems repulsed by him, just watch her body language around him. They do not have sex. He is her whipping boy. She is very coddled and enabled by him, who is a jerk btw. She is enabled by her army of family members (Mormons). Calls her mom "mommy" still. She is being dishonest with herself regarding her unhappy union with her husband. I had a husband to whom I acted the same way, because I became totally unattracted to him after a while. So I know a woman's words and looks and body language when you are truly turned off. There is so much more to say about this channel. Thanks for starting a long overdue thread.

SnerdBlossom
Talker
Talker

Post by SnerdBlossom »

It is so weird that she has not been profrssionally helped in so many years. Weirder that her family has enabled her so much, keeping her child-like. Too bad she doesn't have a husband who would insist she get therapy, or he's done. She knows lapdog Danny will never leave...more weirdness right there. No sex, she hates sex and body parts, etc....and he just nods his head. :roll:

misspeak
Talker
Talker

Post by misspeak »

Wouldyourather wrote:So, I have to make this thread. I know Shanny (her youtube channel is called EDucating Shanny) has a lot of mental problems. But OH MY GOD, shes attention seeking! And is she a compulsive liar? As in the video, "how she died," she says that their bird was their child because they can not get real children. But they do not know if they can have children !! It's just a risk that exists when you have eating disorder. But it may also be that they can easily get children without problems. It will be completely the same to say "I have cancer". Because cancer is a risk when I'm smoking, but I do not know if I get it. And shanny does not know if she can have children so why does she play the feel-sorry-for-me-violin and directly says "we cant have kids"! Oh well I rambled a lot about this LOL
I mean, her doctors have said that the chance of them having children is slim to none. She had a miscarriage and the doctors said her carrying a baby to term is unlikely because her body is so damaged.

kally33
Learner
Learner

Post by kally33 »

Oh my gosh. So happy to find this thread, even if it's inactive. As someone who is asexual, has struggled with eating disorders, grew up religious, etc, I had a lot of sympathy for Shanny despite the things people are addressing here. Granted these were things I struggled with in my early 20s and not at 30-something! But still.

Now I'm just fucking done. It makes me angry that she has rather purposefully amassed this following of very young girls to whom she is an AWFUL role model. She refuses to get professional help, continues to showcase disordered behaviors as if they were normal, claims B/Ping multiple times a week is a normal part of recovery (sure, for some it might be, but you get additional professional help ASAP!!!). Super fucking crazy. The last straw for me was her recent "meet-up." It was being filmed by a friend, and she was legit five times the size she is in her other videos. Why is she hiding her body and using angles to make herself look skinnier, then claiming she's well into recovery?! What kind of message does that send?! I also think to be that big (probably BMI ~31-32), she must still be struggling a lot with binging even if she "only" purges once in a while...I wish she would get actual help :(.

I also wish that instead of surrounding herself with these teenagers who idolize her, she could look up to someone with a healthy recovery channel like Mia Findlay of "What Mia Did Next." She is 28 or 29, but from how they act, you would think Shanny is 15 and Mia is 35. But alas, Shanny thrives off of her "crisis" videos and being able to take a break "for her health" whenever she wants and would never put the kind of thought and research into videos that Mia does. Not sure she is even educated enough to do so :/. Sounds like she married right out of high school and never even really had a serious career, let alone a college education.

MarlboroPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by MarlboroPrincess »

I need a quick rant about Shanny.

At first I really enjoyed her, she seemed to be honestly trying to figure out how to recover. She seems a bit childish, but it wasn't too bad.

Now here we are in October 2017, and I am done. 4 hour streams about shitting whining being enabled by teens. You can't post anything other than some extreme ass kissing comment without having these minions shit themselves over it and some literally police every comment section for every video. And Shanny loves it, she soaks it all in and couldn't give a shit less that she's driving away her fans that are her age and who will likely be way more helpful and honest if she wants advice for her recovery in lieu of preteen and teens who are insane, and who wants tips and tricks on how to be the most special sick snowflake. I really am wondering if most of her illness isn't mind driven? *NOT DIAGNOSING*

What a shit show. Literally. :rofl: :| :roll: :FU:
Gobble Gobble Gobble

abbycakes
Lurker
Lurker

Post by abbycakes »

MarlboroPrincess wrote:I need a quick rant about Shanny.

At first I really enjoyed her, she seemed to be honestly trying to figure out how to recover. She seems a bit childish, but it wasn't too bad.

Now here we are in October 2017, and I am done. 4 hour streams about shitting whining being enabled by teens. You can't post anything other than some extreme ass kissing comment without having these minions shit themselves over it and some literally police every comment section for every video. And Shanny loves it, she soaks it all in and couldn't give a shit less that she's driving away her fans that are her age and who will likely be way more helpful and honest if she wants advice for her recovery in lieu of preteen and teens who are insane, and who wants tips and tricks on how to be the most special sick snowflake. I really am wondering if most of her illness isn't mind driven? *NOT DIAGNOSING*

What a shit show. Literally. :rofl: :| :roll: :FU:
I think I found her channel in January of this year and have been watching ever since. I honestly don't know what to think. When I found her channel I thought she was very adorable and seemed committed to recovery and was very honest. Some of the negative comments have kind of influenced my opinion of her though now and I think some of what they say may be true. I don't "hate" on her for being so immature for her age because I can relate to a certain extent, but I think her husband and family has enabled her A LOT. I remember in one video her saying that she doesn't even know how to pay bills, and its hard to believe she is for real. She can figure out how to make youtube videos and get to 60,000+ subscribers, but you can't pay a bill online? But the real issue I see is that she has a lot of followers who are young girls. I'm glad she finally went to a psychiatrist recently to get diagnosed, but I've yet to see her do much else to help herself since then. But she has been on youtube now for over 2 years, and she needs to be fully committed to recovery by being in treatment since she has not stopped bingeing and purging, otherwise I think she's setting a poor example and I fear the influence she has on her young audience.

One other thing, I think she needs to let go of that "shanny fanny" thing. I didn't think much of it at first, but I think I've grown to dislike the idea of having "fans". She's not a celebrity, she's just a regular woman who makes videos about her life. Calling your viewers your fans can really get to your head and it just puts a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone else have any thoughts on her calling her viewers "shanny fannys"?

abbycakes
Lurker
Lurker

Post by abbycakes »

Wouldyourather wrote:The past six months shes claimed that she has recovered or almost recovered from an ED. But she binges and purges AT LEAST one time every month!! And she claims that her youtube channel hashelped her recover. She hasnt had professional help in 15 years. If she has recovered on her own she can get a place i Guinnes record books because shes the first that EVER recovered without professional help. But she obviously didnt recover its only in her head!! She had som traumas while she was a kid, I believe she was sexually molested and thats why shes mentaly stuck at that age (around 10 years old). She told that she felt like she had to live with her mom (they lived in moms basement the past 7 years) because she couldnt take care of herself. (Shows shes mentaly 10 years old) Lately she claimed they hadto move out becausea family member needed a place to stay for a couple of months. And just as clockwerk, 1 week after they moved out she made a video how scared she is because shes suicidal now, has bad anxiety, binge and purge etc. I find it very hard to believe that her mom kicked them out. Im sure she moved out because she knew she would get sick and can get a lot of attention on that.
About her husbond. One day she filmed him coming home after working out of town for a week. It was a 2 minute video of them hugging, nothing else. Who films that and put it on the internet? It was obviously because she thrive of the comments "couple goals" and the attention and because she feels she has to proove something.
They dont have sex, they dont even sleep in the same room (shows shes mentally 10 years old). But she claims the do "other trhings". But in a video talking about sex, she told that she find those areas on the body, both men and women, very disgusting and she did not like sex at all!! So what is "other things" to her? Hugs and kisses? Im sure Danny, her husband, isnt satisfied with that!! I have a feeling hes gay. And their religion (mormon) despises homosexuality so that makes sense he is married to a "10 year old" girl, because he doesnt have to have sex with her and act like husbands in hetrosexual relationsships does ...
I don't think it has been 15 years, I think she said she last saw a therapist a few years ago and she stopped going because they couldn't afford it. I do think she needs to be in therapy, especially if she is going to be making videos that a lot of young people watch. She just got diagnosed with BPD, although she doesn't seem like she has BPD, I hope she does DBT because I think it could help her.

I always thought it seemed like her and Danny truly love each other. I never thought she was repulsed by him. But I think they have a codependent relationship. She has even admitted that she has manipulated Danny in the past into buying food for her so she can binge. They have been married for over 10 years now though and it seems amazing that he has been so supportive of her all this time and continues to be, but I don't think he has good boundaries and he enables her not just to keep B/P but to stay in this childlike, overly dependent state. I get that it has to be very difficult to like sex if you have a lot of sexual trauma. And they have different sleep schedules, so they don't sleep in the same room. But those are both things that could be worked on. There are so many different types of therapy that she could try to help with healing her trauma. And she could try to get on a normal sleep schedule, but she doesn't have to, so she doesn't seem to try doing much that could help her.

kally33
Learner
Learner

Post by kally33 »

I agree that it does seem like they love each other, but the love seems 100% platonic. The last straw for me was when she explained how they have what she called "hotdog" sex by him sliding his dick between her labia without putting it in...she seemed so fucking grossed out by it herself...can you imagine telling the internet about something that private if you had any real sexual feelings for someone?! I understand and do agree that this may all be because she was a victim of sexual abuse, but boy oh boy does the situation between them seem pretty unresolvable.

abbycakes
Lurker
Lurker

Post by abbycakes »

kally33 wrote:I agree that it does seem like they love each other, but the love seems 100% platonic. The last straw for me was when she explained how they have what she called "hotdog" sex by him sliding his dick between her labia without putting it in...she seemed so fucking grossed out by it herself...can you imagine telling the internet about something that private if you had any real sexual feelings for someone?! I understand and do agree that this may all be because she was a victim of sexual abuse, but boy oh boy does the situation between them seem pretty unresolvable.
Maybe you're right about it being platonic, at least on her side of it. I always thought they were cute and even kind of envied her for having him stick by her all this time, but like I said before, I don't think its that healthy anymore because of all of the enabling that has gone on for so long. I think if the situation is unresolvable like you said, it is because of the enabling.

I can't believe some of the stuff that she shares/has shared in some of her videos about her life. I mean, it doesn't actually surprise me, it doesn't take much to do that, but I can't imagine how anyone is comfortable sharing all of that in a video that anyone could watch.

I also think that she only gets away with acting so young in front of her audience because she looks so young. I didn't think much of it at first, but now when she does it, it does kind of make me cringe when she talks in a baby or a kiddie voice. Talking in a baby voice just starts to get weird at a certain age.

moonlightprincess
Learner
Learner

Post by moonlightprincess »

I try to avoid judging a situation I'm not in, but yeah, I think she needs inpatient or at least intensive outpatient treatment, and for some of the people in her life to get more real with her. If people had not enabled this behavior she might still have her teeth. :/ I think she seems well-meaning and sweet, but no, it is not normal to still b/p that much in recovery especially if you're not in treatment. Obviously she is IN recovery and not recovered, and she doesn't glamorize her illness. But she has admitted herself to not wanting to get better, possibly because her bulimia makes it so others have to take care of her and she can stay child-like. I don't mean to sound harsh, this is just an incredibly common feature of ED that I have suffered with as well. I hope she gets intensive therapy and treatment.

[shesaidit]
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by [shesaidit] »

I haven't watched her in A LONG time. I got fed up when she got to a decent number of subscribers and views and wasn't monetizing her channel. She didn't even want to look into it. Meanwhile she claims she doesn't have the money for therapy. If she took her YT money she could probably afford therapy. It just seemed really stupid and obvious and like she wanted any excuse to not seek ACTUAL help. I get YT was the first step, but it's just that. It won't get you all the way there.

moonlightprincess
Learner
Learner

Oof, she had a long livestream last night and said she would quit youtube, or at least considering it. She recently deleted it. I hope she's ok. :love2: I'm worried that she is interpreting people's frustrations and fear for her as hate. A lot of her behavior is ED-motivated right now, personally I think much more than she acknowledges. :/ And she has been diagnosed with BPD, which causes you to have a warped perception of others' intentions toward you. I personally think she should go to inpatient or at least try. She has never tried it before, and I think her ED voice is holding her back from it. She deserves help :love2:

sistersistersister
Stalker
Stalker

Post by sistersistersister »

Her husband really gave me the creeps in a video--he was saying that men are supposed to want sex and spread their seed and that's why it's okay that Shanny doesnt sleep with him. IDK. I am new here. Will find links soon. He just seemed to have a really scummy way of explaining that she has emotional block about sex and it's hard to deal with in a relationship.

Shanny seems so sweet despite the arrested development.

moonlightprincess
Learner
Learner

sistersistersister wrote:Her husband really gave me the creeps in a video--he was saying that men are supposed to want sex and spread their seed and that's why it's okay that Shanny doesnt sleep with him. IDK. I am new here. Will find links soon. He just seemed to have a really scummy way of explaining that she has emotional block about sex and it's hard to deal with in a relationship.

Shanny seems so sweet despite the arrested development.
I'd chalk that up to religious fundamentalism tbh. The environment is Utah is very traditionalist and full of gender roles, biological essentialism, heavy focus on family and procreation and societal roles, etc. He strikes me as a well-meaning guy who just might have some ignorant beliefs about some things, and is pretty patient and nice. Shanny really loves him.
I actually really love Shanny. But... I wish she would stop talking about her abusive dad positively though, at least in videos... it really rubs me the wrong way and a lot of Shanny fans who have undergone sexual abuse as well are upset by it. I again chalk that up to the church. I am Christian as well, but some sects of Christianity can be tooooo lenient on abusers. Child abusers specifically :/ I think it's fine that she wants to forgive him, people deal with things differently. But it's another thing to say he has a big heart and praise him publicly. It makes me worry she may blame herself for his abuse.
Also, she just disabled comments today. Honestly, I understand, but I also think it's shutting down conversations (hence why threads like these exist.) The vast majority of 'negative' commenters were suggesting treatment, wanting what's best for her, offering advice. There were a few assholes, but even the assholes made some valid points. Some went too far, but it was more in their phrasing than the actual substance of their posts, which was largely "You can't keep doing this, you have to reach out for help, what you're doing isn't working, you need to try another more helpful method." Which I think is perfectly reasonable. Youtube isn't treatment, and it could be exacerbating her problems.
People are going about it the wrong way though. Shanny is a sensitive person who takes things to heart. I know, I am too. You can't just yell at a sensitive person and expect them to get better. You need to let them know you care, you're willing to help, they can do it. Encourage them. I know I may be contradicting myself by critiquing her here, but I don't think anything I said is particularly slanderous. I want the best for her and it's just frustrating seeing her ignore people's well-meaning, qualified advice.

kally33
Learner
Learner

Post by kally33 »

I can't any more. She has been having this friend/neighbor (Alicia?) on her channel a lot lately. On today's livestream, within the first FIVE MINUTES, this bitch is explaining how her therapist told her that she should be skinny because it makes her happy. Other highlights included this woman answering a young girl's question about binging/avoiding binging by saying that when she eats too much, it helps to get on the treadmill. I just can't. So many impressionable young girls and so much utter BS.

Getfive
Talker
Talker

Post by Getfive »

I know Shanny is a BIG fan of Colleen Ballinger. I just started watching Colleen, and I am completely shocked to find out that Shanny is completely copying her!! She literally acts just like Colleen. The way she talks, face expressions, the loud burping! Wow what a disgusting human being! I stopped watching Shanny abot 8 months ago. But back then she talked about her biggest dream is/was to meet Colleen. She also asked us to tweet her telling her to watch Shanny or give a shout out or something. But theres absolutely NO WAY Colleen wants to have anything to with Shanny once she watched one of her videos! Pretending to be her, acting like her is just so creepy and Im sure Colleen would be freaked out if she saw it (I think she might have seen one of Shannys videos and thats why shes not reaching out to her. Shes like “hell to the no”. Because Im sure youtubers send an email when they find out anothercyoutiuber is big fan of them)

kally33
Learner
Learner

Post by kally33 »

Getfive wrote:I know Shanny is a BIG fan of Colleen Ballinger. I just started watching Colleen, and I am completely shocked to find out that Shanny is completely copying her!! She literally acts just like Colleen. The way she talks, face expressions, the loud burping! Wow what a disgusting human being! I stopped watching Shanny abot 8 months ago. But back then she talked about her biggest dream is/was to meet Colleen. She also asked us to tweet her telling her to watch Shanny or give a shout out or something. But theres absolutely NO WAY Colleen wants to have anything to with Shanny once she watched one of her videos! Pretending to be her, acting like her is just so creepy and Im sure Colleen would be freaked out if she saw it (I think she might have seen one of Shannys videos and thats why shes not reaching out to her. Shes like “hell to the no”. Because Im sure youtubers send an email when they find out anothercyoutiuber is big fan of them)
This has also been kind of uncomfortable to me, too. Especially since Colleen is not exactly a model of good Mormon behavior...kind of seems like an odd choice for an idol? Curious if she still has a temple recommend.

SweetTartHeartz
Learner
Learner

Post by SweetTartHeartz »

I know this thread is really not active lol. But what do you guys think about her disabling comments! How long do you think it’ll stay that way? And what do you think about her last couple videos?! The ones with her and Danny arguing, and the one about how the criticism doesn’t help and whatever else, I forget lol

kally33
Learner
Learner

Post by kally33 »

SweetTartHeartz wrote:But what do you guys think about her disabling comments! How long do you think it’ll stay that way? And what do you think about her last couple videos?! The ones with her and Danny arguing, and the one about how the criticism doesn’t help and whatever else, I forget lol
I'm honestly surprised that she hasn't uploaded for this long (though she has of course been doing instagram lives, since more people use their real-life accounts there so it's just a small number of users blowing smoke up her ass). Looks like she's going to try to piggyback of Allicia(sp?)'s channel for validation now, though I doubt that will work out since if you check her most recent video, it looks like most of the trolls have migrated over there. Also Allicia is just frankly simultaneously incredibly problematic and boring as fuck, imo.

I actually thought the arguing video was pretty brave of her to upload. She came across as an awful, vain, petty little bitch, but that is indeed what EDs can do to you...

Getfive
Talker
Talker

Post by Getfive »

SweetTartHeartz wrote:I know this thread is really not active lol. But what do you guys think about her disabling comments! How long do you think it’ll stay that way? And what do you think about her last couple videos?! The ones with her and Danny arguing, and the one about how the criticism doesn’t help and whatever else, I forget lol
It just shows exactly what we have been saying all along!! She just wants attention!! She doesnt post videos to help other people with ED etc. If so, she would allow them to talk to each other in the comments! But she is SO selfish, and can’t handle the truth! She lives in an imaginary world were she is still 5 years old!

Return to “Health”