Kalyn Nicholson

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Kalyn Nicholson

Post by DaylightAmy »

I generally love Kalyn's channel and her personality, she seems really real to me and her videos are actually helpful and honest... but I'm getting a bit annoyed by her constantly using a camera with a beauty filter (a setting that smooths your skin out and makes your complexion look better as you're filming, no editing needed). When you look at her talking to the camera you can SEE her face has been blurred out extremely by the camera. Since she is so real and often states she wants to be real with her audience, I'm disappointed she insists on hiding the fact that we all have skin imperfections. I understand it's hard to put yourself out there I just didn't think that that's who she was.

You can literally see the blur by how overly sharp and dark her eyes look:

Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

LurkxAway
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kalyn Nicholson

Post by LurkxAway »

Just two days ago i searched for a Kalyn thread but nothing!! And when i saw you started a topic i got so happy!
I can honestly say that I really really like her channel and her content! I enjoy her videos a lot and I binge watched every single one of them when i found her channel!
I don't really mind her using the beauty filter.. As long as she continues producing good videos! You can really see the effort she puts in editing and I appreciate that! I am so done with all the big youtubers and Kalyn is like fresh air to me!

manyshiny
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by manyshiny »

Whoa, I did not notice the filter at all! That's disappointing because it seems like it goes against everything her channel is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

manyshiny wrote:Whoa, I did not notice the filter at all! That's disappointing because it seems like it goes against everything her channel is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's the only reason why it sort of irks me. The thing I love about her channel is that she's so real and unfiltered about what life as a young adult is, and how we all have flaws and insecurities and how to realistically deal with them... I mean it's her choice, I just don't think it's necessary, she's gorgeous and I can't imagine that filter is hiding very much in terms of flaws.

Also lately I've been just a WEE bit annoyed after this video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Just to be clear I have ZERO problems with YouTubers accepting gifts or deals from brands, whether they actually believe in them or not - YouTube is a job, and especially with all the ad drama lately, YouTubers kind of HAVE to accept sponsors or gifts to an extent. That's fine.

But lately brands have been giving "gifts" (trips and vacations) to influencers instead of payments to get out from under the FCC rule that you have to add a disclaimer when you endorse them. This trip was clearly sponsored by a brand for her to come to a brand event, which she never mentions in the video or description, and then in the description she promotes the brand that flew her out there (I would presume)... I just don't get why she didn't just say "they flew me out here", especially when you look closer at her description of the brand.

I don't know how into veganism or cruelty free anyone reading here is, but basically generally the consensus among vegans/cruelty free buyers is that any company under L'Oreal is a no-go, because L'Oreal still allows their products to be tested on animals in order to be able to sell in China. So if you buy from a brand that is UNDER L'Oreal, you are bringing profit to L'Oreal, who continue to export to China and condone animal testing (and let's face it, it's not like L'Oreal would go under without China). And this brand she is endorsing, after they sent her to France, is under L'Oreal and she says in her endorsement of this brand that that's okay because "L'Oreal is talking to China about changing the rules". If you're really vegan, in my opinion, talking about it really shouldn't be enough - and it makes me wonder if it would be enough if they weren't sending her to France.

I don't mean to be the vegan police - there are vegans who DO buy from cruelty-free brands that are under "umbrella companies" that export to China, and if that's your choice, that's your choice, I can respect that; but the fact that she fails to disclose they gave her a free vacation to France and then explains away the exporting to China by saying they're talking to China about the testing kind of makes me think she's in her own grey area...

roseandsage
Lurker
Lurker

Post by roseandsage »

I love her, but I can't stand how orange she seems to have gotten since Coachella. And it's not even a normal orange; she looks jaundiced.

ilychee
Debater
Debater

Post by ilychee »

So I found out about Kalyn about 2-3 months ago from some gossip thread about her asking for help from another Youtuber.. and then not giving any credit at all. Does anyone remember who the Youtuber was?

I really like Kalyn's videos though; watching her motivates me to be more disciplined and work harder. She has really great work ethic, and plans all her content in advance. Unlike a lot of Youtubers she treats Youtube as a job.

manyshiny
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by manyshiny »

ilychee wrote:So I found out about Kalyn about 2-3 months ago from some gossip thread about her asking for help from another Youtuber.. and then not giving any credit at all. Does anyone remember who the Youtuber was?

I really like Kalyn's videos though; watching her motivates me to be more disciplined and work harder. She has really great work ethic, and plans all her content in advance. Unlike a lot of Youtubers she treats Youtube as a job.
I have no idea who the Youtuber was but that's really disappointing

AffiliateCode
Learner
Learner

Post by AffiliateCode »

The obnoxious sounds she and Allana Davison made in their travel vlogs gave me a migraine that lasted 7 years.

BerryStrawberry
Talker
Talker

Post by BerryStrawberry »

Everything about her seems so preachy and manufactured, I literally get annoyed when I see her in my recommendeds.

MissMina
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MissMina »

I was a huge fan of her for some time but recently she seems really fake to me. She pretends to be this chilled out, confident girl but wears tons of make up and fake eye lashes all the time, adding to that weird clothing choices and sometimes really squeaky voice. And this filter thing someone mentioned already. Also she promotes this stupid consumerism, have you seen her christmas apartment tour you'll know what i'm talking about, ppl were asking in the comments how much are her electricity bills :rofl: I really appreciate her consistency though and professionalism but its difficult to identify with her if you get what I mean :D

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Yeah there's a lot of stuff I love about her and her channel but sometimes she gets on my nerves, too. The consumerism as well as her acting like she's really casual and real but clearly still making sure she and her life are all seen from the very best possible angles. I get it, we're all a little vain, but with her channel otherwise being about realism and dealing with real life, I find it disappointing. She's one of those lifestyle gurus that'll be like "oh wow my apartment is such a mess, this is the reality guys, so I'll just do a cleaning/organizing video with you while I clean it up" and it's literally 2 loads of laundry, 3 dishes and one ornament out of place :lol: not for a second do I believe that's the worst they do.

I know it's probably more me than her but lately I've kind of been a little annoyed with how extra basic she's been seeming... I mean do you by all means... but the scribbly tiny hipster tattoos, the seasonal Starbucks, the Taylor Swift, pseudo-meditation, the Jeep, "cozy" this and "cozy" that, the lazy 90s references (I mean really, you were 2 when the Spice Girls had their first hit, you do not remember Baby Spice that well), the scented candles, the fairy lights, the neutral colours, "boss" hashtags... we get it!

I love all that stuff too but in small doses and not exclusively... it's all so safe. I feel like she's losing her individual edges. What happened to soccer? What happened to legitimate talks about loneliness and actually insightful/motivating health and fitness videos? I feel like she's all basic girl decorations lately in terms of videos. But that could just be me. Not saying I'm any better just saying I feel like she used to show more diversity and depth.

purplespirit
Learner
Learner

Post by purplespirit »

I agree with you. I like some of her videos but her consumerism is frustrating me. Also the fact that lately she just repeats the same formula every season over and over again: morning routine, night routine, lazy day routine, apartment tour, decorations video. There's nothing special about youtober of 12 days of xmas anymore because it's the same recycled video :roll:

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

OMG you hit the nail on the head... I was wondering why I didn't enjoy YouTober and 12 Days of Kmas as much as I did last year... probably because it was really, really recycled. I get it's a lot of work, I really do, and I'm not saying it was all bad, but most days I didn't feel the urge to click the videos in my sub feed which is a shame because I always looked forward to them. It's like she's "hit pan" (for lack of a better analogy) and she just can't go any deeper. Which I'd like to think she can, but she's not really showing it.

I doubt she'd ever even come here but if she does and is actually willing to accept that our criticism comes from a place of wanting to enjoy her videos more... maybe this year you can start planning YouTober and Kmas extremely early and just come up with 2 or 3 things a month that you haven't done yet that you can do on those months. They don't have to be "never been done before"... just not done by you yet.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

The constant Monica Gellar references are getting a bit much :roll: as if she hadn't already been using enough basic white girl 90s references... (ps I am a basic white girl don't get me wrong). She's seriously going to boil over soon and her entire videos will just be her saying "like like like like like" for 10 minutes straight.

_iva19_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by _iva19_ »

DaylightAmy wrote:The constant Monica Gellar references are getting a bit much :roll: as if she hadn't already been using enough basic white girl 90s references... (ps I am a basic white girl don't get me wrong). She's seriously going to boil over soon and her entire videos will just be her saying "like like like like like" for 10 minutes straight.
My thoughts exactly. Her individuality seems to be fading away, what happened to writing classes, reading("books" containing badass and boss in their titles don't count), soccer, Dream Catcher? She used to be a unique, quirky individual yet she seems to be dropping the things that made her - her. I will always appreciate the fact that she uploads regularly(most of the time) and takes YouTube seriously, but there's only so much you can do before you need a content/passions renaissance.

Post by Guest »

I really loved Kalyn and had no idea this thread existed until now but I'm glad it does because I need to get some things off my chest...

Firstly, I had to unfollow her twitter because of the amount of sheer white privilege going on there. I don't think this girl has a single deep thought in her brain if I have to judge by her twitter. I can't get past how totally shallow and pretentious her tweets are.

Secondly, and this has really been weighing on me... as a Jew, I find it extremely culturally appropriative for her to have a menorah as holiday decoration just because her boyfriend is Jewish. Hanukkah may not be a "holy day" but it's not (modernized) Christmas where everything is about looking cute and spending as much money as possible. Menorahs are not just pretty candle holders, there's significance and history and she'll never understand what it's like to be Jewish (even as a white-passing Jew in Toronto myself... but that's a whole other topic lol I don't want to veer too far from the point here). When I saw that she had a menorah and was including it in her holiday decor video I was honestly gobsmacked and down right offended. Maybe some of you think that's me having a stick up my ass, and maybe you're right, but I still needed to get it off my chest.

This girl has no idea what's going on in the world and has no idea how lucky she is that she's skinny and white and blonde. It's not a surprise that the most conventionally attractive people have the most social media success. Sure, I can feel for her having mental health issues and I can respect that she treats youtube like her job unlike 99.9% of people in her youtube "genre," but I am so unbelievably over her. She's one of the few youtubers who have actually managed to offend me personally, so I'm done.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I don't know what it's like to be Jewish, so I can only believe your account of it and I totally understand your point of view - I think if her content was a little more than decoration at this stage, her incorporating other cultures and religions would be less offensive, but that is just my opinion. I feel like her channel was taking off and she was finding her form and instead of taking off and making her world larger and her platform more in depth, she just became a bit of a parody of herself.

Actually as a pagan I'm a bit annoyed at her sudden obsession with tarot, astrology and meditation and all that... not that I/we "own" those things... just that those things are really deep and spiritual and an intellectual and spiritual discussion for me, not a side-hobby to look interesting at Coachella next year.

I'm disappointed because I really thought she was actually insightful and real... and the longer I look the more I see it's all striking a pose. I guess that's the consequence of her high and consistent output... she has to pump out videos whether she's actually truly inspired or not, and that content reinforces a small box she is cornering herself into until every video is the actual same damn thing.

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

I really used to love her. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy her videos, but she seems to be just like all the other you tubers now. Everyone and their damn mother on youtube now is all of a sudden obsessed with crystals, yoga, spirituality, veganism, fitness, and so on. Its annoying as hell that every video is centered around that. And she seems to obsess over her diet and fitness. I hope she's not heading into Orthorexia territory. I used to really like her plan with me videos too. She is so productive and its great, but her last plan with me video is so obsessive. Goodness! You are young why do you need to be so strict on goals and to dos. It great to have goals and whatnot but having that many separate planners and notebooks for it is so over the top! I will give her credit though for the constant videos and attention to detail she puts in her videos though. She really does treat youtube like a job and not like a bother.

MissMina
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MissMina »

nursegirl123 wrote:I really used to love her. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy her videos, but she seems to be just like all the other you tubers now. Everyone and their damn mother on youtube now is all of a sudden obsessed with crystals, yoga, spirituality, veganism, fitness, and so on. Its annoying as hell that every video is centered around that. And she seems to obsess over her diet and fitness. I hope she's not heading into Orthorexia territory. I used to really like her plan with me videos too. She is so productive and its great, but her last plan with me video is so obsessive. Goodness! You are young why do you need to be so strict on goals and to dos. It great to have goals and whatnot but having that many separate planners and notebooks for it is so over the top! I will give her credit though for the constant videos and attention to detail she puts in her videos though. She really does treat youtube like a job and not like a bother.
This!!!
As you mentioned this youtube obsessions I would add to it planning too. Of course it's good to be organised but omg day goals, week goals, month goals, YEAR goals, X years goal ffs. Live your life ffs instead of making it a planned bullshit. Besides, her life doesn't seem that busy to need to plan that much. It's basically morning run / walking the dog, vegan breakfast, PLANNING, gym, vegan dinner and watching tv.
Also, her videos are bit depressive for me. Everything always seems so white-esthetic spiritual blabla and she always seems to be alone with her dog inside in her apartment. Sure she has bf and visits her family etc but it gives some lonely depressive vibes.
She puts a lot to her videos, they are professional looking but have no creativity anymore and are repetitive. She is not relatable because she doesn't do anything most of the day so has tons of time for all yoga/gym/vegan/ whatever else stuff. And indeed she seems to be using a filter or sth, I'm not an expert but her face always looks weird and everything is too bright and sterile :rofl:

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

OMG I just watched her new bullet journaling video. WAY OVER THE TOP. Did she say she was going to track her sleep too?? I cant...That video gave me anxiety.

Return to “Kalyn Nicholson”