FleurdeSnore 2017 - General thread part 17

adven
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FleurdeSnore 2017 - General thread part 17

Post by adven »

PocusHocus wrote:Has she mentioned anything about the name Logan? I’ve know a girl with that name and quite liked it on her. Also I am on team Fawn for the middle name.
I'm assuming they aren't Scottish, as Logan is generally a male name and surname, and a very popular one at that. Calling a girl Logan seems as odd as calling a boy Elizabeth tbh.

PocusHocus
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocusHocus »

adven wrote:
PocusHocus wrote:Has she mentioned anything about the name Logan? I’ve know a girl with that name and quite liked it on her. Also I am on team Fawn for the middle name.
I'm assuming they aren't Scottish, as Logan is generally a male name and surname. It would be as odd as calling a boy Elizabeth!
i live in the states and it’s not that weird here, lol. But I’ve never been to the Uk so I wouldn’t know!

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

PocusHocus wrote:
adven wrote:
I'm assuming they aren't Scottish, as Logan is generally a male name and surname. It would be as odd as calling a boy Elizabeth!
i live in the states and it’s not that weird here, lol. But I’ve never been to the Uk so I wouldn’t know!
Yeah, using Scottish boys names and surnames for girls first names seems to be an American disease.

Rosie Ribbons
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Rosie Ribbons »

What about 'Dani' which can be used for boy or girl -Danielle/Daniel or Reilly? I just think she is going to go down the same road as her sister with something like Luca!

Photosynthesis
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Photosynthesis »

Laura/Lauren maybe? Don't know if it's a common name in the UK. Get she wants to go for uncommon, having an uncommon (in the country you live in anyway) name is great, but I can't imagine they'd go for something real odd...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

PocusHocus
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocusHocus »

adven wrote:
PocusHocus wrote:
adven wrote:
Yeah, using Scottish boys names and surnames for girls first names seems to be an American disease.
i quite like Logan for a girl but to each their own.

Post by Guest »

summertje wrote:Laura/Lauren maybe? Don't know if it's a common name in the UK. Get she wants to go for uncommon, having an uncommon (in the country you live in anyway) name is great, but I can't imagine they'd go for something real odd...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Both are very, very common here, and Fleur's pretty set on something unusual

dew
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dew »

adven wrote:
dew wrote: Laika
dew wrote:
Fleur and Mike did mention Logan in the baby name video, but they seemed to imply anything in the video wouldn't be used for the baby's name.

And Laika is too creative for Fleur, I think. It also literally means "barker" in Russian and always makes me sad. Poor dog.
Laika? ffs, it was the name of the dog that was one of the first animals the former Soviet Union sent up into space!!!
Why do you think I said it means "barker" in Russian and "poor dog"? Laika is a good name for a dog, not so much a baby. It's not unpleasant sounding.

Post by Guest »

dew wrote:
adven wrote:
dew wrote:
Fleur and Mike did mention Logan in the baby name video, but they seemed to imply anything in the video wouldn't be used for the baby's name.

And Laika is too creative for Fleur, I think. It also literally means "barker" in Russian and always makes me sad. Poor dog.
Laika? ffs, it was the name of the dog that was one of the first animals the former Soviet Union sent up into space!!!
Literally every post mentioning Laika implied or explicitly mentioned the connection to Laika the dog.

Post by Guest »

adven wrote:
dew wrote:

Literally everyone knows that. I'm a little confused by your rage.

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

It doesn't just mean "barker" it is a name for dog breeds. So calling your kid "Laika" is the same as calling them Deerhound or something similar.

There seems to be people falling into the trap of thinking foreign names mean something different, or can be appropriated. Such as calling your daughter a Scottish male name (literally son of Kenneth in the case of girls being called McKenzie) or thinking a cute sounding Russian word means something feminine rather than it being used to describe hunting dog breeds.

Also my comment seems to have been misread, I was agreeing with you and being sarcastic that anyone would think Laika is a cute name for a baby girl,

dew
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dew »

adven wrote:There seems to be people falling into the trap of thinking foreign names mean something different, or can be appropriated. Such as calling your daughter a Scottish male name (literally son of Kenneth in the case of girls being called McKenzie) or thinking a cute sounding Russian word means something feminine rather than it being used to describe hunting dog breeds.
Names just don't hold such deep meaning in the US and I imagine the UK and many other places. We go by what sounds good and often what's popular. It's not "cultural appropriation" to name a baby McKenzie. No one is being disrespected, harmed, or minimized by the choice of that name, and by that token, other names like Douglas (classic) or Jackson (trendy) were also originally Scottish surnames. Many, many common English first names were originally Greek or Hebrew; I find it hard to claim that Elias, Levi, and Benjamin are "problematic."

likefrylikefry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by likefrylikefry »

Are people really debating names as culture appropriation? :roll:

dew
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dew »

likefrylikefry wrote:Are people really debating names as culture appropriation? :roll:
Yes, because people keep bringing it up?

Anywayyyy, back on-topic, I am very curious to know what Fleur ends up choosing. I still can't get over her niece being named "Luca Luna," which seems like a name that Fleur would've chosen had her sister not. :?

MotherRussia
Informer
Informer

Post by MotherRussia »

Jemima also means dove.

Alternatively, she could just use Dove.

Hereforthrshade101
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Hereforthrshade101 »

Can your make an announcement when you're done with discussing baby names...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty888
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by qwerty888 »

When is she due? (I haven’t been following her videos, except for that baby name one :? )

Photosynthesis
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Photosynthesis »

qwerty888 wrote:When is she due? (I haven’t been following her videos, except for that baby name one :? )
She hasn't announced the due date. She said it was going to be a Christmas or New Year's baby but probably a New Year's.

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

MoanyMinnie wrote:Can your make an announcement when you're done with discussing baby names... Image

Agreed, it's boring as hell discussing whether a woman is going to call her kid Dove, Sausage dog, Laika ;) and so on. If anything it highlights just how little in substance her content is. Fleur doesn't strike me as a person who would want to be defined by her pregnancy and children either, so the discussion is even more redundant and generalised.

Hereforthrshade101
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Hereforthrshade101 »

adven wrote:
MoanyMinnie wrote:Can your make an announcement when you're done with discussing baby names... Image

Agreed, it's boring as hell discussing whether a woman is going to call her kid Dove, Sausage dog, Laika ;) and so on. If anything it highlights just how little in substance her content is. Fleur doesn't strike me as a person who would want to be defined by her pregnancy and children either, so the discussion is even more redundant and generalised.
I couldn't sit through pages of discussions about modern names, classic names, this name, Russian names - just stopppppppp..

Why use •that• much time on speculating on a name?

It will be, what it will be regardless.

Off to watch her favourites to see what's good Image

Return to “FleurDeForce”