f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gymscool

Post by f4k_oyevey »

I just saw this on Twitter

Not sure if she will compete it, but so cool seeing flo feature her and seeing her name on all the Jr Elite rosters and articles leading up to American Classics and US Classics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essie91
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by essie91 »

Sydney got a 51.900 at American Classic so she’s qualified to Nationals!

vixeninjeans
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by vixeninjeans »

essie91 wrote:Sydney got a 51.900 at American Classic so she’s qualified to Nationals!
update on standings: Sydney got 8th AA, 8th on bars and 6th on beam

funfunthinkaboutfun
Informer
Informer

Post by funfunthinkaboutfun »

it really is quite insane what the gym change did to her. major cred to first state, or major critique to 1st class. actually probably both. so happy for her!

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

I know! You'd almost not guess she's the same gymnast as competed in the Hopes Championships last year. She looks so confidant and solid! Go Syd!

If you want to watch her routines, they are around 20 min (vault, seen better in the highlights than the earlier "live" vault), 53:00, 1:20, and 1:44 in the USAG video.

a33QyUy7
Debater
Debater

Post by a33QyUy7 »

Wow that happened fast! I really didn't think she would make it.
She choose the right gym. I remember her looking at MG Elite but looking at those girls this weekend at American Classic, she wouldn't have fit in there.

Eleven
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Eleven »

a33QyUy7 wrote:Wow that happened fast! I really didn't think she would make it.
She choose the right gym. I remember her looking at MG Elite but looking at those girls this weekend at American Classic, she wouldn't have fit in there.
MG has burned out and/or injured every gymnast they've trained except Laurie, who got out immediately after Rio (with good reason). Maggie made comments on social media about "letting the fame go to her head", and apparently as Laurie was enjoying life after Rio (DWTS, Disney, etc), Maggie wouldn't stop texting her things along the lines of "I made you." Can't find the source right now but it was somewhere on The Gymternet. Lots of comments from other NJ coaches who say all the local gyms don't like Maggie.

But besides that -- she seriously pushes girls to compete when they're not ready. Riley has come scary-close to serious injury a couple times (landing on her head at American Cup and Maggie just immediately going "She's fine! She's fine!" when Riley was still down, having her compete at Classics when Maggie thought she wasn't ready because Valeri wanting to see her since she was "so new" was more important, Maggie admitting on social media that Riley's ankle injury keeping her from Worlds selection camp was a stress fracture because they were (this is verbatim) "quickly trying to get ready for P&Gs" instead of... idk, pacing your athlete maybe?).

But back to the main topic of this board, I'm so glad Syd made the switch to First State. She's improved by miles in just a year, her form especially. And 8th AA in her first ever elite competition is nothing to sneeze at! ...And of course I don't want to compete it if she's not ready but I would love to see that standing full on beam in competition ;)

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

^Laurie also peaked at the perfect time, as she was already battling injuries going into Rio, and I doubt she could have just pushed through for another year at that level. And MG Elite was never known for burning out gymnasts, I think it started with Riley, and the fact that Maggie is a fame whore. I think to her it mattered more that with Laurie gone she needed to have a high profile elite right away.

I'm glad Syd did well, and I can't wait to see how she does on the podium when more people are doing AA. I will say I really hope she didn't eff up her chances at NCAA. She could have done the bare minimum, but as an elite gymnasts alone she's almost guaranteed a scholarship somewhere. She has years of gymnastics related videos that could come back to bite her in the butt if they were monetized.

Also in other gymscool news Jaidyn has finally changed gyms to Capital Gymnastics! Who's left at 1st Class, Arden?

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:^Laurie also peaked at the perfect time, as she was already battling injuries going into Rio, and I doubt she could have just pushed through for another year at that level. And MG Elite was never known for burning out gymnasts, I think it started with Riley, and the fact that Maggie is a fame whore. I think to her it mattered more that with Laurie gone she needed to have a high profile elite right away.

I'm glad Syd did well, and I can't wait to see how she does on the podium when more people are doing AA. I will say I really hope she didn't eff up her chances at NCAA. She could have done the bare minimum, but as an elite gymnasts alone she's almost guaranteed a scholarship somewhere. She has years of gymnastics related videos that could come back to bite her in the butt if they were monetized.

Also in other gymscool news Jaidyn has finally changed gyms to Capital Gymnastics! Who's left at 1st Class, Arden?
Out of everyone from First Class connected to Gymscool in some way, here is who is still at 1st Class:
- Arden Martino
- McKenzie Roman
- Emelia Eddy
- Chelsea Boyer
- Rosie Ferrante (was not in Gymscool videos, but friends with the Gymscool girls and there during the Annie days)
- Amanda Trieschman (dance)
- Emelia (empetty) (dance)

Unknown:
- Via Crowley (she posted this photo at the end of June with the caption "happy national handstand day! I miss competing so much, it’s been so long :/", so not sure if that means she quit, was injured, or something else happened)

Also, the other day julesgymrants posted this photo:
Both Amanda Trieschman and Sydney Morris liked the post. I wonder if some of the girls got sick of Arden's dumbness/idiocy or what have you? It doesn't seem like Sydney hangs out with Arden anymore either, based on vlogs and their Instagrams.

MissRozzy
Debater
Debater

Post by MissRozzy »

Via had a hip injury for a while I think that’s what she meant by missing competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

I know some girls like Emelia Eddy and Amanda are both at 1st class still, but I personally don't count them as still being there, because they are in the acro program, which is actually good at 1st Class.

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

Sydney has finally taken the coral girl out of her name. Guess there's a lot less nostalgia when your new gym actually gets you somewhere.

Though I saw that Coach Mary still goes to Syd's big competitions. The support is probably nice but that also has to be very awkward. I'm sure it's clear to everyone in Sydney's circle that 1st Class held her back and she stayed there far too long. I know it's common for girls to move to more elite gyms and still have good relationships with their old coaches who know they need to move on, but it was only Coach Mary getting in trouble that triggered Sydney's gym switch. Though maybe the Hopes Championship experience would have been enough in itself to make her realize she needed better coaching.

pls_srg
Learner
Learner

Post by pls_srg »

keliza wrote:Sydney has finally taken the coral girl out of her name. Guess there's a lot less nostalgia when your new gym actually gets you somewhere.

Though I saw that Coach Mary still goes to Syd's big competitions. The support is probably nice but that also has to be very awkward. I'm sure it's clear to everyone in Sydney's circle that 1st Class held her back and she stayed there far too long. I know it's common for girls to move to more elite gyms and still have good relationships with their old coaches who know they need to move on, but it was only Coach Mary getting in trouble that triggered Sydney's gym switch. Though maybe the Hopes Championship experience would have been enough in itself to make her realize she needed better coaching.
keliza wrote:
Besides the general collapse of the coral girls, I wonder if First State partially influenced her to change her social media names. If she is starting to do better and get an opportunity to compete at bigger venues, her new gym is going to want to make sure they are getting credit.
I think part of the reason Mary was at the last meet was that it took place in Utah, where Kim lives. I still can't figure out what Mary is doing these days - she seems to travel a bit but stays with family/Kim/friends. I wonder if she will go to the Ohio meet this weekend. Its possible that Sydney was thinking of leaving before the Coach Mary drama. If anything, I think it would be more embarrassing for Mary - she leaves and most of the girls seek new coaching and start doing well - in addition to Sydney, Hailey was JO National Bars Champion and KatieO qualified for JO Nationals - just imagine if they had looked for better training earlier. Its great that the girls seem to have a good relationship with their old coach but it must sting a bit for Mary that many of the girls are doing so much better without her (and make her wonder if she was holding them back all along).

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

keliza wrote:Sydney has finally taken the coral girl out of her name. Guess there's a lot less nostalgia when your new gym actually gets you somewhere.

I honestly don't think it was Mary getting the boot that made her switch gyms. People had been making comments about how she should switch gyms long before Hopes Championships, and I remember her liking some of them. It was very clear to me at that point that it was more her finishing off the season before changing gyms.

funfunthinkaboutfun
Informer
Informer

Sydney is thriving, once again (so far after the third rotation), putting up a great score and showing remarkable consistency at the GK Classic. Very happy for her.

funfunthinkaboutfun
Informer
Informer

DP sorry, Sydney ended up in 12th with a strong 51.650. Really good. Needs to bump that floor score though, she had 13+ across the board and was 6th after the third rotation, floor was an 11.950 if I’m not mistaken.

whatamievendoing
Talker
Talker

Post by whatamievendoing »

I'm honestly so thrilled for Sydney - if you look at her at the HOPEs champs last year and how much she fell and compare it to this confident, consistent girl we've seen at the Classics it's two totally different gymnasts. I really hope she can keep up the good work for nationals and hit everything!

I also hope that her mother doesn't get too money hungry and ruin Syd's chances at a top NCAA scholarship but hey I guess we'll see where that goes over the next year or so, I'm excited to see her progress even more :D :D

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:

I honestly don't think it was Mary getting the boot that made her switch gyms. People had been making comments about how she should switch gyms long before Hopes Championships, and I remember her liking some of them. It was very clear to me at that point that it was more her finishing off the season before changing gyms.
I don't think she was liking "switch gyms" comments until after Hopes Championships went so badly. She probably was thinking about it before then because we later found out that Mary was already on her way out, and the writing was on the wall with her Elite qualifiers and Hopes, but if you look back on this discussion everyone was saying that she'd find every excuse to stay, right up until the championships and Mary left. It didn't seem like she was giving any indication about leaving and she was having enough success here and there to feel like she was doing well, until Hopes when it was clear on the videos that she broke down. She was way too attached to Mary. Which is not surprising since she started with her at age 3.

innocentbistander
Lurker
Lurker

Post by innocentbistander »

Wow! Sydney has really blossomed, and despite the execution errors on floor (it was more being tenthed to death imo than anything, yeah, a few bigger errors, but a lot of small form stuff that needs to be cleaned up), I think she did excellent for having a new routine.
I was looking at scores and realized Sydney would have placed 12th in the senior session as well score wise. Not bad for the girl who couldn't consistently stay on any apparatus last year and crashed so hard at HOPES championship.
If she keeps improving, I think she'll have a really solid Senior career. Will she make the Olympics? Probably not, but I could see her getting an assignment to something like Jeselo a few years down the road if she keeps this upward trajectory and consistency.
It's really interesting how we're getting to the point that now elite gymnasts and soon to be elite gymnasts grew up in the social media age and a lot of them have essentially their whole gymnastics career chronicled via youtube. I think there are both pros and cons to this, but a big pro is I think it's showing lay people what an intense and difficult journey the path really is. You can watch 6yo Sydney at her first lvl 4 meet, and then watch her at US Classics as a Junior Elite. That's kind of cool

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

Anyone know what the beef/deal is between Simone Biles and Morgan Hurd? Apparently they didn't shake hands at the end of Classics and Simone believes something Morgan said was about her? I don't know the details really so if anyone knows, please do tell.

(Also, this seems like the best place to ask this on here)

Return to “Gymscool”