octofish
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Lifting/Fitness Chat

Post by octofish »

Micapika wrote:
pbjnfit wrote:BCAA's are an amazing hunger suppressant for me. I also break my fast with high protein !!

Can you get the devotion nutrition on amazon for free shipping...? hmmmm
Ooh what BCAA's do you use? I need a new one ahah
I swear that I am not sponsored by Core Nutritionals, but I love their ABC product. They also have a stim version, ABCD. My hubs likes ScivationXtend.
And I can't stand BCAA's, but I have to use them intra-workout.

GluteActivation
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by GluteActivation »

octofish wrote:
Micapika wrote:
pbjnfit wrote:BCAA's are an amazing hunger suppressant for me. I also break my fast with high protein !!

I swear that I am not sponsored by Core Nutritionals, but I love their ABC product. They also have a stim version, ABCD. My hubs likes ScivationXtend.
I use Cellucor and I really love it! They sell it at Target now actually! It's $19 normally but I got mine on sale for $16 & they had a 20% off Cartwheel so I ended up paying $13!!
I've only tried one other brand of BCAA before, and I really didn't like it (tasted awful & didn't dissolve well & made me feel sick) so it was a bad experience and I never really tried them after that. But I saw that sale, so I couldn't resist trying it out. Now I wish I bought more bottles because the CW offer is over. As soon as I see it come back, I will for sure be buying more!

(If you don't know what CW is, it's an app that Target has where they have certain products on their store for an additional % off. All you have to do is download the app, and scan the barcode's on items at the store that you're buying, and see which ones have a % off. Then you add them to your list, and just show the cashier at the register your barcode. It's very easy and quick! )

Healthyish85
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Healthyish85 »

dr-tran wrote:Just a side note to the IF conversation:

I've been doing it for the past month or so because I'm a heavy snacker, and I've noticed that I am significantly less hungry between 5AM-12PM if I'm drinking BCAA's. I workout fasted at 6AM, so I'm really hungry right after.

I followed the IF author's advice to sip on 10-15mg of BCAA's after my workout until noon, and while I'm still hungry at 11AM I am able to concentrate on tasks and when I break my fast I'm able to eat something reasonable.

It also helps to break the fast with something extremely high protein and fat.

Just a thought!
I WISH!!! I'd have coffee, water, tea and BCAAs all morning and still be ravenous. I wish I knew why my body refuses to switch over. :(

Soso
Learner
Learner

Post by Soso »

This thread is awasome :D
I wanted to ask if any of you know of a brand that got leggings with pockets, and ship world wide?except gym shark?
Also, ive been lifting for about a year ,and im always do drop sets. Any of you do super sets or any other lifting styles?what would you recommend for growing?
:love2:

alliezee
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by alliezee »

Soso wrote:This thread is awasome :D
I wanted to ask if any of you know of a brand that got leggings with pockets, and ship world wide?except gym shark?
Also, ive been lifting for about a year ,and im always do drop sets. Any of you do super sets or any other lifting styles?what would you recommend for growing?
Where are you located? If money isn't a huge issue - I'd really really recommend lululemon all the right places pants. Second to none for pocketed leggings

pbjnfit
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pbjnfit »

Micapika wrote:

scivation xtend Green apple is bomb, the best BCAA I believe...

Veggieblondie
Learner
Learner

Post by Veggieblondie »

Hey everyone! I am new here and need some advice. I have been working out for a couple months now and lifting as much as I can.
I have heard of BCAAs but I don't have enough information on them and their purpose. Would someone be able to give me the low down and if they are worth buying.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbjnfit
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pbjnfit »

Veggieblondie wrote:Hey everyone! I am new here and need some advice. I have been working out for a couple months now and lifting as much as I can.
I have heard of BCAAs but I don't have enough information on them and their purpose. Would someone be able to give me the low down and if they are worth buying.
Thanks

Are you trying to grow or cut? I will probably get flack for this but in my honest opinion i feel complete proteins are all that is needed and BCAA's are just a marketing gimmick to justify people having nice expensive tasting flavoured water.

ON THAT NOTE: I use them because one they taste good and two when I am cutting and I fast during the morning hours they really kill my appetite. Yes they are good aminos for muscle repair but won't build your muscles, BUT will repair so that means you can try harder and more frequent thus build muscle, but not a necessity.

Veggieblondie
Learner
Learner

Post by Veggieblondie »

pbjnfit wrote:
Veggieblondie wrote:Hey everyone! I am new here and need some advice. I have been working out for a couple months now and lifting as much as I can.
Thanks

Are you trying to grow or cut? I will probably get flack for this but in my honest opinion i feel complete proteins are all that is needed and BCAA's are just a marketing gimmick to justify people having nice expensive tasting flavoured water.

ON THAT NOTE: I use them because one they taste good and two when I am cutting and I fast during the morning hours they really kill my appetite. Yes they are good aminos for muscle repair but won't build your muscles, BUT will repair so that means you can try harder and more frequent thus build muscle, but not a necessity.
Well I am trying to get rid of fat and build lean muscle. Currently I am drinking a protein shake after my workout. I usually just drink water before, during and after my workout.

pbjnfit
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pbjnfit »

Veggieblondie wrote: protein shake after my workout. I usually just drink
Veggieblondie wrote:
pbjnfit wrote:
Thanks

Well I am trying to get rid of fat and build lean muscle. Currently I am drinking a protein shake after my workout. I usually just drink water before, during and after my workout.

If you like doing the protein shake after workout keeping doing it. I workout very early and dont eat till about 8 hours after my workout so I am fasted. But I still try to get protein in for the day. Doesn't matter when. I am sorry if this doesnt really answer you LOL

Soso
Learner
Learner

Post by Soso »

alliezee wrote:
Soso wrote:This thread is awasome :D
Where are you located? If money isn't a huge issue - I'd really really recommend lululemon all the right places pants. Second to none for pocketed leggings
israel :( i can only dream of lulu, the charge 40$ for delivery
:love2:

hashtaggoals
Debater
Debater

Post by hashtaggoals »

Are there any running youtubers y'all can recommend? I've always been into lifting weights but I want to focus on becoming a good runner-- which is going to take some work. I signed up for the half-marathon training team and our first group run is Saturday so now I'm just looking for some YT motivation.

[shesaidit]
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by [shesaidit] »

hashtaggoals wrote:Are there any running youtubers y'all can recommend? I've always been into lifting weights but I want to focus on becoming a good runner-- which is going to take some work. I signed up for the half-marathon training team and our first group run is Saturday so now I'm just looking for some YT motivation.
I'd be interested too. I follow running bloggers/IGers, but haven't really found good YT inspiration.

Micapika

Post by Micapika »

pbjnfit wrote:
Micapika wrote:

Oooh Ive seen them all over instagram thanks :D

scivation xtend Green apple is bomb, the best BCAA I believe...

Micapika

Post by Micapika »

simplycourt11 wrote:
octofish wrote:
Micapika wrote:

I use Cellucor and I really love it! They sell it at Target now actually! It's $19 normally but I got mine on sale for $16 & they had a 20% off Cartwheel so I ended up paying $13!!
I've only tried one other brand of BCAA before, and I really didn't like it (tasted awful & didn't dissolve well & made me feel sick) so it was a bad experience and I never really tried them after that. But I saw that sale, so I couldn't resist trying it out. Now I wish I bought more bottles because the CW offer is over. As soon as I see it come back, I will for sure be buying more!

(If you don't know what CW is, it's an app that Target has where they have certain products on their store for an additional % off. All you have to do is download the app, and scan the barcode's on items at the store that you're buying, and see which ones have a % off. Then you add them to your list, and just show the cashier at the register your barcode. It's very easy and quick! )

Oooh I'll definitely check it out thanks :D <3

Micapika

Post by Micapika »

octofish wrote:
Micapika wrote:

Same tbh they're so bitter, the first time I tried BCAA's I almost got sick ahaha

Nope nope
Informer
Informer

Post by Nope nope »

pbjnfit wrote:
Thanks

I don't know how you could get flack for that. I have nothing against BCAA's but sometimes it's funny how people go for this kind of trend without realizing at all what they're actually consuming. BCAA's are just leucine, isoleucine and valine that are easy to get in with a regular diet.

Foods high in leucine, isoleucine and valine are for example cheese, beef, pork, fish, nuts and beans. You can decide to consume these amino acids as food or as a BCAA drink.

It's the same with creatine as a supplement. Some people seem shocked to find out that you get the exact same creatine monohydrate by eating beef/salmon. Sure, enjoying it in supplement form is handy especially for vegans who wouldn't otherwise get it. Just pointing out it's not some foreign magical substance made out of unicorn poop.

pbjnfit
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pbjnfit »

[/quote]

I don't know how you could get flack for that. I have nothing against BCAA's but sometimes it's funny how people go for this kind of trend without realizing at all what they're actually consuming. BCAA's are just leucine, isoleucine and valine that are easy to get in with a regular diet.

Foods high in leucine, isoleucine and valine are for example cheese, beef, pork, fish, nuts and beans. You can decide to consume these amino acids as food or as a BCAA drink.

It's the same with creatine as a supplement. Some people seem shocked to find out that you get the exact same creatine monohydrate by eating beef/salmon. Sure, enjoying it in supplement form is handy especially for vegans who wouldn't otherwise get it. Just pointing out it's not some foreign magical substance made out of unicorn poop.[/quote]

It's just the fact many fitspos will push aminos and supps like you need them etc. I just think many people think you need supps to achieve a certain goal in which you don't. Honestly I think we are on the same page in what you just posted.

Just pointing out the fact because many people trying to lose weight or gain they think that whatever I am consuming if they consume will achieve the same results :roll:

Nope nope
Informer
Informer

Post by Nope nope »

pbjnfit wrote: It's just the fact many fitspos will push aminos and supps like you need them etc. I just think many people think you need supps to achieve a certain goal in which you don't. Honestly I think we are on the same page in what you just posted.

Just pointing out the fact because many people trying to lose weight or gain they think that whatever I am consuming if they consume will achieve the same results :roll:
Yeah my point was that I agree with you :tu: Just had to rant a little in case anyone would need the basics on BCAA's.

GluteActivation
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by GluteActivation »

octofish wrote:Hey All! I have a question about wardrobe management and clothing in general.
I have an office job, so business casual is totally fine.

Ok, here's the deal: I have clothing from several years ago that no longer fit due to taking up bodybuilding as a hobby (figure competitor). I used to be a runner, if that gives you context. Right now, I am in a bulk, so very little fits me and I do not want to make the mistake of getting rid of things that will eventually fit. I am currently at 15 lbs above stage weight, but my coach wants me to drop about 5 lbs of fat very slowly before I start prep next winter. I noticed, however, that even when I was stage lean, I didn't gravitate towards things like pencil skirts and fussy clothing. This was the case even during my reverse diet and beyond. My weekdays are simply work and then gym. This means my work clothing is packed into my gym bag and I've actually torn a few things in there! So, I have a bunch of clothing that I feel so ambivalent towards and not much else. My plan is to get rid of 85-90% of what I own and slowly add a few basics. I used to be really into fashion, but I still like to look nice. And don't get me started about shoes...LOL

I have a few questions:
1) Has anyone gone through this process? If so, what is the best approach?
2) Any tips for dressing the athletic bod? Materials? Brands?

Thanks so much in advance!
I went through something relatively similar! I used to be about 130-140 pounds, size 4 in Jr's, then dropped down to 98 pounds, size 00 (unhealthy I know, I developed an ED). Anyways, I held on to my clothes in hopes that I could gain the weight back but I struggled to gain it back so I ended up getting rid of my "larger" clothes. Then built up a wardrobe of 00's
Once I found weightlifting I was able to gain my weight back, so I found myself having to rebuy 2's & 4's. I donated all my 00's because I vowed to never get that thin again
Anywho, I started a job as a bank teller when I was 00, so not only did I have to rebuy work clothes, but casual & gym clothes as well.
Then when I quit that job to finish nursing school I got rid of all my 2&4's business casual clothes thinking I'd never need them since I'd mainly be in scrubs
After I did that I found myself needing then for interviews, conferences, a short term hostess job, & other things needing nice attire.
So yet again I found myself buying moreeee clothes.

Point is, don't be like me and get rid of everything b/c then you'll have to rebuy everything.
Keep the basics at least!! (dress pants, a few blouses, cardigans, a blazer, a pair of flats, a skirt or 2, and maybe some nice tanks to go with the cardi & blazer) esp ones with solid colors. Even if it's a little small, if you think you can fit into it when/after you're prepping, keep them! At least until you know for a fact they won't fit. Then once your done with them you can sell them on Poshmark or donate them. But $$ is precious lol so just consider what you may need to keep in this unforseeable future.

I'd reccomend getting a separate bag for your clothes, a grocery bag works!

As far as brands. I got most my stuff from Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls so they're random brands
But you don't want anything too tight, modesty is key. Dress pants shouldn't conform to you like yoga pants, which can be real hard if you've got a booty so stick to the woman's(or petites) section if you don't already. Ann Taylor & Loft have curvy, regular, and straight leg styles for different body shapes & I'd reccomend them for dress pants if you have s hard time finding ones that fit right.
If you've got bulky arms cardigans are great at hiding them.
Honestly just skim through Pinterest & you can find a ton of brands, looks, and advice!

Return to “Fitness”