PointlessDIYs - Alfie Deyes buys so much crap part 11

CalatheaLater
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PointlessDIYs - Alfie Deyes buys so much crap part 11

Post by CalatheaLater »

Yeah, there was once case in my school where someone was offered an unconditional offer on their predicted A Level grades. She had pretty good predicted grades but it was quite a sub-par uni which is why she got the offer. It maybe have been a similar case for alfie

And didn't Alfie do science based A levels? Maybe he was applying for a media based degree so he showed them his youtube for supporting evidence of his "talent" :rofl:

livibobs12
Learner
Learner

Post by livibobs12 »

Wow yet again he's late to a meeting, so disrespectful it's unreal. And it was a very important meeting, I don't know why anyone still works with you, you're a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmenAmen91
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by AmenAmen91 »

ElizabethMarks wrote:Hmmm... my friend was accepted to university without doing any A levels, just based on her personal statement. It was Portsmouth though, so not the best university out there, but not the worst either. So, I guess something similar could possibly happen?
Fml? So she had no grades or qualification.
Jeez anyone can get in "university" these days
No shade to your friend, shade

But at least she TOLD you the uni name
Alfie just says "a uni" never goes into it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Youtubers ain't sht, but ho's and tricks. -- Fat Zoella

Good_Bake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Good_Bake »

AmenAmen91 wrote:
ElizabethMarks wrote:Hmmm... my friend was accepted to university without doing any A levels, just based on her personal statement. It was Portsmouth though, so not the best university out there, but not the worst either. So, I guess something similar could possibly happen?
Fml? So she had no grades or qualification.
Jeez anyone can get in "university" these days
No shade to your friend, shade

But at least she TOLD you the uni name
Alfie just says "a uni" never goes into it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I mean that just seems laughable doesnt it, that a uni would accept Alfie on his crappy. I can imagine for "creative" degrees that evidence of your skill, for example if you sent in a mind blowing personal statement showing off your writing for a creative writing degree, would get you in, but there's no way most unis would let you in for say a Maths degree or a History degree with a video or personal statement.

What a TERRIBLE message to send to his fans! I wouldn't want my younger siblings watching that and slacking at school because you don't need A Levels to get places like ALfie, he got so lucky and if he hadn't I'm pretty sure he'd be doing some monotonous job because it's v hard to get anywhere without qualifications nowadays!

pinkfr0sting
Informer
Informer

Post by pinkfr0sting »

I remember when I first discovered Alfie, I watched his vlogs from when he still lived at home with his cat (what happened to that cat anyway)? And I remember he said if he wasn't doing YouTube, he would be studying at Ravensbourne uni in London. he deleted the vlog now I think cos I can't think it so I think it was Ravensbourne he was talking about but I thought that uni was really good/hard to get into for creative subject? Hmm

sid
Talker
Talker

Post by sid »

Alfie loves spending money on useless gadgets and tech, but why is he using an underpowered MacBook Air to edit and export his vlogs? Surely it would make sense to buy a fully specced MBP (or do the exporting on one of their iMacs?)

Radcorrie
Learner
Learner

Post by Radcorrie »

As a British University student, I call bullshit on the whole, "Alfie getting accepted because of his Youtube Videos". You can't get into University without grades and good grades in the subject you want to do. That's how it works. If you are applying for art school/art course, for example, you may have a portfolio of work to back up your grades. YA NEED GOOD GRADES KIDS, OR YA CAN'T GET IN. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. IT'S COOL IF YA HAVE STUFF TO GO WITH THE GRADES, BUT THE GRADES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT. I highly doubt his videos were all that amazing, so he's most likely lying or bullshitting hard.

By saying this he's telling his young, impressionable audience that doing well in school and getting good grades doesn't matter. Make youtube videos instead! Thus leading to thousands of young people signing up to Youtube thinking they can make it big when they can't because their competition is so massive --- thanks to Mr. Deyes!

Not everyone can be a famous Youtuber, some of us have to work hard and get real life jobs instead.

- A hard working British Uni student, who one day hopes to write films/tv shows.

sprinkleofmoney2
Informer
Informer

Post by sprinkleofmoney2 »

If there is any truth to Alfie's claim, it's not unheard of though one should question the accreditation of the university which made the offer. Alfie has probably exaggerated, or bent the truth as he so commonly does.

"We're not supposed to say this but you can just come" I'm sure those where the admissions officer exact words

Regardless he's not setting the best example (not that he usually does anyway), but if he's saying grades and hard work don't matter. :?

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

sprinkleofmoney2 wrote:If there is any truth to Alfie's claim, it's not unheard of though one should question the accreditation of the university which made the offer. Alfie has probably exaggerated, or bent the truth as he so commonly does.

"We're not supposed to say this but you can just come" I'm sure those where the admissions officer exact words

Regardless he's not setting the best example (not that he usually does anyway), but if he's saying grades and hard work don't matter. :?
I imagine he was told something like, Put together and submit an application and you'll have a spot here guaranteed.

He doesn't realize how this negates what they always say, that they work so hard for everything and nothing is handed to them... or even shows how Alfie's little motivational 'You can do ANYTHING!' stuff is coming from a guy who, already coming from a privileged background, is literally handed a university admission on a plate but decided to just keep doing YouTube instead..... and we're supposed to take his advice on 'get up and go!'.

shitsandgigs
Informer
Informer

Post by shitsandgigs »

I can't remember if it's this thread or Zoe's the moving speculation is on, I haven't really thought they are moving like others have.....but is it weird he's giving Poppy and Sean his big couch? And the cleaning of their rooms and him going through and getting rid of stuff. Seems suspicious...

Return to “Pointless Blog”