Why are models still tall and skinny?

AnusPepper1
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Why are models still tall and skinny?

Post by AnusPepper1 »

I know when it comes to those really high fashion catwalks, the designers like models who look interesting because it's more for art than just stuff for average people to wear. However, they still have tall, skinny girls model clothes for places lie Forever 21 or Macy's. They make the clothes to fit that body type as well. I don't understand why they don't have more average sized models. They have to know that clothes for tall, skinny girls won't fit or look good on most girls. I've always heard that attractive models sell clothes better, but that body type isn't even "in style". These days, it's all about the thin but curvy body type. So why don't they at least hire models that have that body type? You would think everyone would be dying to hire thin, curvy girls (especially since it's even less common to be thin but still very curvy). My best guess is that thin bodies with small breasts and hips are easier to make clothes for. And it's a lot less hassle to find a bunch of girls who are just thin and banana shaped than it is to find a bunch of girls with different degrees of curve and try to fit them into the same clothes. Am I right at all?
I'm new here. I've never been a member of a forum before, and I'm still learning my manners. :D

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why are models still tall and skinny?

Post by Pastel »

I think a lot of it is just industry tradition. Thin models have always been around, so I would guess that a lot of designers are trained to work with that body type almost exclusively. Is that out of touch with the real world? Certainly. But I do think that's a large part of it, it would certainly be easier to just stick with what you've always done. I also think beauty ideals are hard to shake, so even though positive stuff is definitely happening, the old skinny ideal is still lingering in the business.

I've watched a lot of Project Runway, and on the show it's often been an issue that designers are not used to working with "real women". I'd imagine that's no different for a lot of the designers who have actually made it big.

tabbz
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by tabbz »

You're talking about the "average girl" but keep in mind the average girl nowadays is overweight, and even most girls who aren't overweight are still out of shape and carrying excess fat. It's just aesthetics. Clothes look better on people who are in shape. Jeans don't give them muffin tops, there's not back-rolls from tops digging in, etc.

I think it's a universal truth, that every person's body looks better when they're in shape. I've never seen an exception to this.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being overweight, but fashion/cosmetics is about $$. Putting clothes on thin girls sells. They look GOOD in the clothes and people buy the clothes thinking they'll be pretty too if only they can have that dress the models wearing.

And the only time you'll see them using average girls as models is for marketing reasons, not because they prefer to have their clothes on the average woman but because they're trying to get you to buy their stuff by relating to you and pulling on your heart-strings. :shrug:

FrecklesMcGhee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FrecklesMcGhee »

They pick one size of girl so they don't have to have every size on hand (like at a casting), or tailor to anyone's body in particular (during a show). And being tall and thin lets you get away with wearing pretty much anything, because it's all flattering. Basically the only reasons. Designers really just want a walking coat hanger. :/

deedeeboo
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by deedeeboo »

AnusPepper1 wrote:I know when it comes to those really high fashion catwalks, the designers like models who look interesting because it's more for art than just stuff for average people to wear. However, they still have tall, skinny girls model clothes for places lie Forever 21 or Macy's. They make the clothes to fit that body type as well. I don't understand why they don't have more average sized models. They have to know that clothes for tall, skinny girls won't fit or look good on most girls. I've always heard that attractive models sell clothes better, but that body type isn't even "in style". These days, it's all about the thin but curvy body type. So why don't they at least hire models that have that body type? You would think everyone would be dying to hire thin, curvy girls (especially since it's even less common to be thin but still very curvy). My best guess is that thin bodies with small breasts and hips are easier to make clothes for. And it's a lot less hassle to find a bunch of girls who are just thin and banana shaped than it is to find a bunch of girls with different degrees of curve and try to fit them into the same clothes. Am I right at all?
I'm new here too :)

Justalkin
Informer
Informer

Post by Justalkin »

tabbz wrote:You're talking about the "average girl" but keep in mind the average girl nowadays is overweight, and even most girls who aren't overweight are still out of shape and carrying excess fat. It's just aesthetics. Clothes look better on people who are in shape. Jeans don't give them muffin tops, there's not back-rolls from tops digging in, etc.

I think it's a universal truth, that every person's body looks better when they're in shape. I've never seen an exception to this.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being overweight, but fashion/cosmetics is about $$. Putting clothes on thin girls sells. They look GOOD in the clothes and people buy the clothes thinking they'll be pretty too if only they can have that dress the models wearing.

And the only time you'll see them using average girls as models is for marketing reasons, not because they prefer to have their clothes on the average woman but because they're trying to get you to buy their stuff by relating to you and pulling on your heart-strings. :shrug:

I agree with this point right here. In the industry it's all about money and they're going to put the clothes on models who have bodies the average woman wish they had. That's what sells unfortunately. Granted I don't know if its because I'm getting older but super skinny models like the Victoria's Secret models don't appeal to me anymore. I used to be obsessed with the VS skinny body years ago but not anymore. A lot of those models overexercise and have no curves.

Tsubaki
Informer
Informer

Post by Tsubaki »

WOW, this is a little old. Aside from clothes hanging better on a thin model, it's easier to dress someone who is of a straighter figure (alterations for example), and the thinner they are, the less fabric you have to use. I've got a runway setting in mind here: quick adjustments are easier. With ready-to-wear, the process of making the garment is cheaper but can you imagine trying to dress a plus-size model in haute couture?

warmbrowns
Learner
Learner

Post by warmbrowns »

RUNWAY models are tall and skinny because it's better to observe a tall and skinny figure walk on the traditional long runway from a distance. A petite woman would be dwarfed out. Also too much curve takes the attention away from the garment. I am not defending the deadly anorexic look, but tall and skinny is best for classical runway.

For catalogues there are many body types. Agencies may want to sign tall and skinny because they will be able to do both.

Nowadays we don't see many deadly anorexic girls but more firm, slim athletic girls which is a good thing. Tall and slim is timeless!

Lilybear31
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Lilybear31 »

FrecklesMcGhee wrote:They pick one size of girl so they don't have to have every size on hand (like at a casting), or tailor to anyone's body in particular (during a show). And being tall and thin lets you get away with wearing pretty much anything, because it's all flattering. Basically the only reasons. Designers really just want a walking coat hanger. :/

Lol

straightonedge
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by straightonedge »

It's also just cheaper to produce for that size range.

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

I feel like recently we started to see more representation on runaway : plus size, trans, short, hijabi..

sophia96m
Stalker
Stalker

Post by sophia96m »

I guess, this is the first requirement for a model to be skinny and tall. This also helps them to wear dresses as they can.

Yaroslav_Fadeev
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Yaroslav_Fadeev »

Selia11 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:17 pm
I feel like recently we started to see more representation on runaway : plus size, trans, short, hijabi..
I notice this too

queen rania
Informer
Informer

Post by queen rania »

i used to think like this being 5 ft 7 and size 12 ,14 trying to attain a body like these models is crazy and why girls are messed up, by media magazines and by tv growing up, i met a lady i worked with 10 years ago she was a an ex model artist and told me about transvestigation, when i researched all this it was a rabbit hole i found out all that we have been programmed by fashion and trends is by this, and if you look at the difference in men and women our bodies are made different ie, waist nearer to the boobs and how we walk and the arch in a back, these diets girls go on make us infertile etc please research this subject videos are being taken down, but its the new world, all models are men, and so are the victorias secrets, hence the name, they are inverted at birth or castrated, all the kardashians and actresses are men , look at zara and hm online at the models.
below are two sites please watch the videos you must watch it takes time to believe how we have been programmed to just believe what we see is the truth

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxH1u ... pH8GiKFcMg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk9xRD ... sEg/videos

i used to work in fashion for selfidges and loved designer brands and clothing etc since i have woken up i have seen how these brands all are part of a club

Return to “Fashion Discussion”