Flippin' Katie

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flippin' Katie

Post by chloesweb85 »

They are at a place where I could see them giving it their all for the vlog or just dropping it. I think they are one of the better family vloggers, as people, but that does make them boring. Just like Katie going to school is a good thing, not good for the vlog. I think Jill and Mike stepped into the vlog when Miami Dan popped up. I got the feeling they wanted to get some of the attention off Katie. A good thing, not good for the vlog. It is near impossible to be parents and daily vloggers and do both things well.

Lisatheacrobat
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Lisatheacrobat »

chloesweb85 wrote:They are at a place where I could see them giving it their all for the vlog or just dropping it. I think they are one of the better family vloggers, as people, but that does make them boring. Just like Katie going to school is a good thing, not good for the vlog. I think Jill and Mike stepped into the vlog when Miami Dan popped up. I got the feeling they wanted to get some of the attention off Katie. A good thing, not good for the vlog. It is near impossible to be parents and daily vloggers and do both things well.
I agree 100%. I agree that as parents they want the best for their kids and not just gathering as much instant fame and glory and money as they can while leaving their children’s futures with a glum fate. But that does mean that they will most likely never reach Bratayley or Shaytard status. I’ll who it was, I think one of the girls on Cheernastics2 when they vlogged for vlogmas that vlogs are boring when you have a life off camera and you do the same things everyday. They were saying you basically need to give up school, work, everything and just go on adventures everyday and have tons of money to do so and travel and whatnot to be successful and I think we see that with the LeBlancs vs The Donnelly’s. Certainly the Donnelly’s play up these trips and try to make them exciting but this is the third Disney Cruise in a year. Booooring. But the LeBlanc’s used to travel across the world and do cool stuff and go all over the place when the girls weren’t in gym. They were like the perfect combo of everyday kids and mini celebrities. Why would kids idolize Katie? She’s just like them. But Annie? Well her life is glitter and unicorns and adoring fans, a singing career handed to her an acting career and two successful shows and even though to us it’s like barely relevant but in the work of a 12 year old Annie is their Kim Kardashian.

You can’t be an everyday person with an everyday life and expect to be a successful vlogger. 90% of their subscribers came from Annie and Bratayley. I mean even Jordan Matter who hasn’t been on YouTube for a year hit a million subscribers in less time than The Donnelly’s and all he does is film dancers in the 10 minute photo challenge. I just think that the Donnelly’s aren’t the type of family that draws in a crowd. Brennan is kind of a bore to watch and seems to not really care for this vlogger life. Ryan is annoying most of the time and then Katie. She is really their golden child and really the *only* reason I think people watch except the girls who think that Brennan is cute but even that I think is secondary to tuning in for Katie. I just don’t see them giving us their everyday lives for a successful YouTube channel.

I don’t know if Bratayley status is their end goal, but I do think they want this to be mildly successful. Even without any major discount (btw, what was Mike’s job at Disney? Cause I don’t think cast members get a huge discount off cruises) they would need some kind of sponsorship to afford three cruises on DCL in a year. I have yet to find any Disney Cruise that cost under $1,000 per person to start. This cruise alone would cost $30,000 onboard, not including airfare and any costs off the ship. So if they were to give up this mildly successful side career, it would mean maybe not being able to take three cruises per year. I do think they should step it up. But it would mean pulling the kids out of school and finding ways to make their lives more entertaining.

I do wonder if a lot of people tune in still hanging on to the hope that Annie and Katie will become best friends again? Eventually I think that would get old. Katie without Annie isn’t really fascinating more than anyone who watches the vlogs and I would say the same thing for Annie if she wasn’t living the LA life and pretending to be a mini celebrity. I won’t accept that Annie “made it” in LA until she gets recognition from mainstream sources and not media that’s main target audience isn’t 15 and under. Without that, she would be a bore to watch too if her life was normal middle school life and then after school sport and a few vacations on the same cruise line or to the same place. So I do agree with the girls of Cheernastics, unless you yourself are interesting and make mundane life interesting, you need a flashy lifestyle to really be successful.

I wish touring musicians would be daily vloggers, I would love to see the life of traveling and performing and seeing things we don’t always get to see. Someone should make that happen. Lol.

xalisondilaurentisx
Informer
Informer

Post by xalisondilaurentisx »

This is all from Mike's LinkedIn page about his job(s) at Disney

Casting-Employment Interviewer, DMDP, Food and Beverage Manager
Company Name The Walt Disney Company
Dates Employed 1986 – 1995 Employment Duration9 yrs
LocationLake Buena Vista, FL
Mike began his Disney career on the College Program as a skipper on the world-famous Jungle Cruise in the Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort before embarking on the Disney Management Development Program. There, he learned and put into practice the Disney approach to people management and quality service. Mike served in a variety of leadership roles at Walt Disney World, including food and beverage operations management, the WDW Casting Center (hired thousands of cast members for various roles throughout the resort), guest relations and facilitating company orientation for newly hired cast members.

Disney Institute Contract Facilitator
Company NameThe Walt Disney Company
Dates Employed 2006 – Present Employment Duration12 yrs
LocationNorth America
Leverage almost 10 years of Disney experience to facilitate Disney development strategies and practices to organizations across North America on behalf of the Disney Institute.

It says he still does work for them currently.

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

Mike owns his own company. They were doing very well before they started vlogging. Severna Park is very upper middle class. Most of the doctors I worked with at the hospital in Annapolis lived there. Add the YouTube income, which if you go around the middle of the Social Blade estimate, and they're sitting pretty. YouTube could go away tomorrow, and they would still be all right. I guess because they had money before they started vlogging, they're not acting like lottery winners and going crazy. Except for the vacations, they're pretty frugal. They're not going out buying multiple status cars and doing $700 Sephora runs. So three Disney cruises in a year isn't going to break them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

http://www.donnellyeffect.com/home/abou ... d-best-top

Did a quick google search and his professional summary popped , if anyone is interested.

Red99
Informer
Informer

Post by Red99 »

I hope they get to a million and give it up.

Katie is going into high school so I can’t see her having time to film when she will have a busy social life.

We saw from yesterday’s Blog that the boys don’t blog basically when Jill and Mike are away as they don’t want to.

Also Katie and Gymnastics is basically coming to a end as she is too injury prone and isn’t progressing at all now. What’s the point of her dedicating so much time to it when she has stalled ?!

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

Red99 wrote:I hope they get to a million and give it up.

Katie is going into high school so I can’t see her having time to film when she will have a busy social life.

We saw from yesterday’s Blog that the boys don’t blog basically when Jill and Mike are away as they don’t want to.

Also Katie and Gymnastics is basically coming to a end as she is too injury prone and isn’t progressing at all now. What’s the point of her dedicating so much time to it when she has stalled ?!
Yeah, it seems to me that if you have to put "film vlog footage" and "post musicallys" on a chore list for the kids when you leave the house, it's pretty obvious they're not into it. Katie may have been the driving force behind getting the channel started, but Jill is digging it. I don't know why. Maybe the positive comments? Anyway, she is the one keeping the channel going. I have a feeling that if she stopped vlogging, nobody in the family would take up the slack.

Red99
Informer
Informer

Post by Red99 »

lmmomSD wrote:

Yeah, it seems to me that if you have to put "film vlog footage" and "post musicallys" on a chore list for the kids when you leave the house, it's pretty obvious they're not into it. Katie may have been the driving force behind getting the channel started, but Jill is digging it. I don't know why. Maybe the positive comments? Anyway, she is the one keeping the channel going. I have a feeling that if she stopped vlogging, nobody in the family would take up the slack.

I think Jill likes it as it gives her a purpose. Her kids need her less and less so what else can she do though the day?

Red99
Informer
Informer

Post by Red99 »

I have to say I actually like the blogs with no Katie. She can be so bratty and annoying it’s refreshing to just have the boys who are so down to earth and who have a lovely sibling bond.

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

Red99 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:

I think Jill likes it as it gives her a purpose. Her kids need her less and less so what else can she do though the day?
She used to work for Mikes company. Maybe they feel like they put so many years into it they don’t want to give up just yet. They are very goal driven and commited, which is good in most cases, but they may be committed till they reach 1 mil or maybe till they make a certain dollar amount for the kids college funds. Or maybe it is just a hobby. Since the kids go to school and there are three of them, at least the amount of time each spends vlogging is pretty low compared to others, but yeah, they seem over it.

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

I think it was after the last injury Katie said she was going to continue because she loved it. I don’t think she has any expectations of college gym or anything. I think it’s just a passion of hers.

Red99
Informer
Informer

Post by Red99 »

chloesweb85 wrote:

I think it was after the last injury Katie said she was going to continue because she loved it. I don’t think she has any expectations of college gym or anything. I think it’s just a passion of hers.
Thank you for the explanation :)

I could be wrong but I still can see her giving it as high school will be pretty full on which is why when she was actually good at it she was home schooled as it took up too much time.

If she is training 4/5 nights a week for 3/4 hours where does home work fit in?

Aces
Learner
Learner

Post by Aces »

I mean, she obviously finds time for homework now as she gets good grades. And Brennan is in high school but has shorter days (or at least finishes earlier because he starts earlier) than Katie and Ryan do, so I'm not sure it's going to be a problem? I would hate having a schedule as full as she does as I value my free time a lot, but she seems to enjoy it and seems able to keep up her grades, so eh, don't know why it's a problem.

It's obviously something she loves doing and wants to be good at, she's even changed gyms recently probably as a result of trying to get back to where she was.

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

Can someone please tell me why "Daddio" keeps calling Ryan, "Ryan Argo"? I missed that part, apparently.

Clemence08
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Clemence08 »

lmmomSD wrote:Can someone please tell me why "Daddio" keeps calling Ryan, "Ryan Argo"? I missed that part, apparently.

I think its Ryanardo..

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

Clemence08 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:Can someone please tell me why "Daddio" keeps calling Ryan, "Ryan Argo"? I missed that part, apparently.

I think its Ryanardo..
Thanks for the clarification.
I have to say, ImageImageImage

Red99
Informer
Informer

Post by Red99 »

It will be interesting to see the sleeping arrangements for the cruise.

I find it really weird that Brennan and Katie stilll share a bed at their age. They all seem to switch around so they get their own bed for one night.

But Katie is 14 and Brennan is nearly 16 so why would you want your teen kids sharing a bed?

ETA - maybe it’s more acceptable in the U.S but certainly in Europe it’s very strange.

chrimsi
Lurker
Lurker

Post by chrimsi »

Red99 wrote:It will be interesting to see the sleeping arrangements for the cruise.

I find it really weird that Brennan and Katie stilll share a bed at their age. They all seem to switch around so they get their own bed for one night.

But Katie is 14 and Brennan is nearly 16 so why would you want your teen kids sharing a bed?

ETA - maybe it’s more acceptable in the U.S but certainly in Europe it’s very strange.
Naah, I am from Denmark (and UK) and I have shared a bed with my 5 year younger brother as a 19 yo and him 14. Yeah I would like my own bed, but that have not been possible many times.

Sendt fra min HUAWEI VNS-L21 med Tapatalk

Aces
Learner
Learner

Post by Aces »

Whaat was that creepy letter Katie read on today's vlog? "…and the beauty of a re-incarnated Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty"? I didn't get who it was from, sounded kind of like grandpa, but it also sounded like she said "Have a happy YouTube grandpa", which makes no sense.

Clemence08
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Clemence08 »

Aces wrote:Whaat was that creepy letter Katie read on today's vlog? "…and the beauty of a re-incarnated Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty"? I didn't get who it was from, sounded kind of like grandpa, but it also sounded like she said "Have a happy YouTube grandpa", which makes no sense.
They say Spence, dont know who that is..
So im guessing spence might call her that?

Return to “It's the Donnellys”