Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tasty Bites: Vegan YouTubers & Vegan Drama

Post by lurker1991 »

Aquaday wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 am
I know this is a long dead thread now but what is it with all the vegans jumping ship? Bonnyrebecca, Stella Rae, Tim Sheiff, Raw Alignment, Kalel, although they all have the following massively restrictive diets in common.
Because meat-based diets are the next restrictive eating trend with little to no scientific evidence of any increased health benefits. The placebo effect is a powerful thing and with all the talk of veganism being unhealthy and carbs being poison and so on, they probably talked themselves out of feeling good on a vegan diet. Also, many Youtube vegans (most of the ones I've seen, honestly) had a history of eating disorders before they went vegan. A lot of the vegans who quit also had additional restrictions on top of veganism, like being raw vegan or free of things like gluten and soy, and a lot of them also eschew traditional medicine, so probably many of them really do have nutritional deficiencies.
Cryptic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 pm
^
The "carnivore" community on YT consists of the most delusional and most dishonest people I've ever seen in a diet community. They're more obsessed with shitting on Veganism than promoting their own diet. I watched some videos and they pretty much just blatantly lie about nutrition facts and never link any sources for their claims (probably because they're made up) and still get tons of likes. It's also funny how one of the prominent figures in the community (can't remember the name) had like the worst blood results ever including really low testosterone levels which the community has explained the reason for (it's not the diet, duh) using tons of mental gymnastics with no proof. This hypocritical community would have a field day if a vegan had the same testosterone levels though.

These ex-vegans jumped on the vegan bandwagon when it was trendy on youtube and quit when the trend died out. What pisses me off is the dishonesty though, no one can just admit that they can't be arsed being vegan anymore, no every single one of them had the worst health issues imaginable so they were forced to quit. I'm not accusing every single one of lying but I find it highly suspicious when all of these trenders all of sudden have health issues that they never brought up once until vegan YT trend dies out. Even going as far as self-diagnosing themselves with depression as a result of being on a vegan diet, yeah, that's not how depression works.
Honestly I think a lot of it is a political statement as much as it is a diet (ie. the "soy boy" thing). Sometimes when people get mocked enough they give up and go along with the people who are mocking them, or start having feelings of self-doubt about their choices, and I think that happened with the Youtube vegans. Especially because all their nutritional advice seems to come from unqualified people on Youtube in the first place rather than experts. Meanwhile people like Unnatural Vegan or A Chill Vegan who actually follow nutritional research and aren't swayed by popular trends, look and report feeling perfectly fine. As I said it seems like most of these reported health issues are subjective feelings of malaise, aka things which could be caused by the placebo effect. In most cases, there was no consultation with an actual doctor about whether there was actually a medical issue going on, or what the cause might be.

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

Yea it's obvious that some of them just don't want to be vegan anymore (because it was always a diet for them) but can't say that since they preached about ethics so they have to pretend it's health. The going back on the ethics part kills me though, pretending eating fish is ethical when they preached for years that it wasn't.

I actually came to vent about the Vegan View, idk if anyone watches but I kind of can't stand any of the women at this point. And they have this weird hang up about "angry vegans", they find a way to bring them up in most videos. They obviously agree that passive activism is best and while they pretend there is room for different kinds it comes across as bullshit to me. They really need a dissenting opinion on the panel, they have such a hivemind. The blonde that left was the only one who I felt had a different view on things some of the time.

Glittergirl19
Talker
Talker

Post by Glittergirl19 »

lurker1991 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 pm
Aquaday wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 am
I know this is a long dead thread now but what is it with all the vegans jumping ship? Bonnyrebecca, Stella Rae, Tim Sheiff, Raw Alignment, Kalel, although they all have the following massively restrictive diets in common.
Because meat-based diets are the next restrictive eating trend with little to no scientific evidence of any increased health benefits. The placebo effect is a powerful thing and with all the talk of veganism being unhealthy and carbs being poison and so on, they probably talked themselves out of feeling good on a vegan diet. Also, many Youtube vegans (most of the ones I've seen, honestly) had a history of eating disorders before they went vegan. A lot of the vegans who quit also had additional restrictions on top of veganism, like being raw vegan or free of things like gluten and soy, and a lot of them also eschew traditional medicine, so probably many of them really do have nutritional deficiencies.
Cryptic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 pm
^
The "carnivore" community on YT consists of the most delusional and most dishonest people I've ever seen in a diet community. They're more obsessed with shitting on Veganism than promoting their own diet. I watched some videos and they pretty much just blatantly lie about nutrition facts and never link any sources for their claims (probably because they're made up) and still get tons of likes. It's also funny how one of the prominent figures in the community (can't remember the name) had like the worst blood results ever including really low testosterone levels which the community has explained the reason for (it's not the diet, duh) using tons of mental gymnastics with no proof. This hypocritical community would have a field day if a vegan had the same testosterone levels though.

These ex-vegans jumped on the vegan bandwagon when it was trendy on youtube and quit when the trend died out. What pisses me off is the dishonesty though, no one can just admit that they can't be arsed being vegan anymore, no every single one of them had the worst health issues imaginable so they were forced to quit. I'm not accusing every single one of lying but I find it highly suspicious when all of these trenders all of sudden have health issues that they never brought up once until vegan YT trend dies out. Even going as far as self-diagnosing themselves with depression as a result of being on a vegan diet, yeah, that's not how depression works.
Honestly I think a lot of it is a political statement as much as it is a diet (ie. the "soy boy" thing). Sometimes when people get mocked enough they give up and go along with the people who are mocking them, or start having feelings of self-doubt about their choices, and I think that happened with the Youtube vegans. Especially because all their nutritional advice seems to come from unqualified people on Youtube in the first place rather than experts. Meanwhile people like Unnatural Vegan or A Chill Vegan who actually follow nutritional research and aren't swayed by popular trends, look and report feeling perfectly fine. As I said it seems like most of these reported health issues are subjective feelings of malaise, aka things which could be caused by the placebo effect. In most cases, there was no consultation with an actual doctor about whether there was actually a medical issue going on, or what the cause might be.
Unnatural Vegan isn't fine though. She has said several times that she struggles with low iron and has depression. Diet can affect your mood and exacerbate depression. For Bonny and Rawvanna they both saw a doctor who is more qualified to help them. The carnivore diet is silly and all these people are going to be dealing with constipation without some veggies in their diet.

I think this trend of shitting on veganism is a direct result and pushback of bat shit crazies like Freelee/that vegan couple who attack people for their diet and literally give vegans/veganism a bad name. Now there's even a YouTube channel called "vegan detoriation" or something like that where she compared before and after pictures of vegans and try to pick out their physical flaws and blame it on veganism. The carnivore craze will die down eventually just like keto.

Post by Guest »

I don't think depression and iron issues necessarily mean anything about UV's diet. Depression has a multitude of causes and while diet can help it's usually way more complex than that. I'm sure UV would be aware of which nutrients can exacerbate depression and would supplement them if she felt she wasn't getting enough. Low iron is also a massive issue among women, especially menstruating age women. I have to supplement even though I generally get way over my RDA, and it has always been that way even when I ate an omnivorous diet. I would say these are pretty common problems to have, diet can't cure everything and even people in excellent health can expect to have the odd health issue.

The carnivore diet is truly bizarre to me. It is honestly the most bizarre diet since 30 BAD, and honestly that's the only other diet trend I can think of that's that unhealthy. I would say most nutritionists would accept vegan can be fine as long as you eat a balanced diet, but I would be really surprised if there are any educated people recommending carnivore diet. What about fibre? I can't imagine how bad you would smell also, given that even keto can make people stinky in the initial phase. It's obviously so wrapped up in this internet only alt-right world of hypermasculinity, it's true bizarre and it does kind of feel like a straight up reaction to veganism.

I also find it funny that they can include dairy. The soyboy thing always seemed bizarre to me given that the most oestrogen rich food is obviously going to be milk. Yet it's soy that catches the heat for "feminizing" men. :rofl:

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Dandelion »

Glittergirl19 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:44 pm
Now there's even a YouTube channel called "vegan detoriation" or something like that where she compared before and after pictures of vegans and try to pick out their physical flaws and blame it on veganism.
What do you think of that channel? Do you think she actually shows people who have deteriorated while being vegan or does she just choose unflattering photos? I just saw one with a woman calling herself Meghan Remedy and her photo from when she was supposedly vegan was indeed bad, but the photo they showed of her after "healing" (lol) herself on a carnivore diet was obviously not as clear as the first one and from a totally different angle (even though she could have attempted to take a current photo replicating the old one). I then looked at the woman's Instagram and she was still posting vegan content last September, and she looked just like she does today. She came back at the beginning of the year with a story about how veganism ruined her health. I think it's wrong that so many people are using their own restrictive diet to prove a general inadequacy of a vegan diet.

lurker1991
Talker
Talker

Post by lurker1991 »

Glittergirl19 wrote:
Unnatural Vegan isn't fine though. She has said several times that she struggles with low iron and has depression. Diet can affect your mood and exacerbate depression. For Bonny and Rawvanna they both saw a doctor who is more qualified to help them. The carnivore diet is silly and all these people are going to be dealing with constipation without some veggies in their diet.

I think this trend of shitting on veganism is a direct result and pushback of bat shit crazies like Freelee/that vegan couple who attack people for their diet and literally give vegans/veganism a bad name. Now there's even a YouTube channel called "vegan detoriation" or something like that where she compared before and after pictures of vegans and try to pick out their physical flaws and blame it on veganism. The carnivore craze will die down eventually just like keto.
I don't follow her that closely but I thought she said she only had post-partum depression, and depression and low iron are such common issues that it seems like a jump to say it's from her diet. Not sure about Bonny Rebecca but Rawvana said she saw a homeopathic doctor aka not a real doctor.

I agree and I've always said vegans themselves are the greatest threat to veganism. I think the deterioriation is more because of eating a highly restricted subset of vegan foods and not wearing sunscreen while living in a tropical climate.

Post by Guest »

I'm sure I've heard her say she's been depressed on and off outside of post natal depression but IDK. I follow her for a while because I think she has a lot more useful advice than 80% of vegan yt, but then I get bored of her smugness and unsub. But I agree with you, depression is a much bigger issue than what you eat.

Whattuup1
Learner
Learner

Post by Whattuup1 »

UV has said that she has often suffered from low iron since before being vegan, so as far as I'm concerned one has no correlation over the other. As far as depression goes, I think she's said that she has gone through bouts of depression throughout her life.

I remember reading about how lots of vegans/vegitarians have pre-existing mental health issues being the reason they make the switch - because they feel the pain that an omni diet causes the animals and planet. I know that's just a theory, but it makes sense to me. I know poor diet can cause poor mental health, but she clearly has a well balanced diet so I'd be willing to discount that too.

UVs approach can rub people up the wrong way, I can see that. But I think she's one of the more balanced and sensible ones.

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Dandelion »

Whattuup1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 am
UV has said that she has often suffered from low iron since before being vegan, so as far as I'm concerned one has no correlation over the other. As far as depression goes, I think she's said that she has gone through bouts of depression throughout her life.

I remember reading about how lots of vegans/vegitarians have pre-existing mental health issues being the reason they make the switch - because they feel the pain that an omni diet causes the animals and planet. I know that's just a theory, but it makes sense to me. I know poor diet can cause poor mental health, but she clearly has a well balanced diet so I'd be willing to discount that too.

UVs approach can rub people up the wrong way, I can see that. But I think she's one of the more balanced and sensible ones.
I also suffered from low iron throughout my adult life due to heavy periods. As a vegan, I still supplement iron occasionally, but I need a lot less, partly due to weaker periods and more iron being absorbed even from plant foods, possibly due to the enormous vitamin C content of a WFPB diet. My moods have also stabilized on a WFPB diet. I don't know if I'll never have a depressive episode again but I feel a lot more secure in situations that would have potentially triggered a depressive episode in the past. I can only speculate if this is due to my diet, but on the whole I feel very good with this lifestyle. And I feel I look better, too. I didn't lose weight but my skin, nails, and hair are in amazing condition and I recover faster from cuts, burns, and colds.
I also agree that being more sensitive or empathetic, and feeling a lot of pain yourself, can make you more sensitive to everyone else's pain, including animals.
Just sharing my experience to put things in persepective. Happy Easter everyone. :)

Glittergirl19
Talker
Talker

Post by Glittergirl19 »

Have y'all seen fitshortieeat's baby?

xobritspears
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by xobritspears »

Glittergirl19 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 am
I FEEL SO BAD FOR THAT BABY!!!

Glittergirl19
Talker
Talker

Post by Glittergirl19 »

xobritspears wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 am
Glittergirl19 wrote:
I FEEL SO BAD FOR THAT BABY!!!
Baby was born in March. This was taken on May 14.

Baby looks a little thin. No chubby cheeks. I really hope the baby will put on some weight in the coming months. He still looks like a newborn.

Post by Guest »

This is why I'm glad Unnatural Vegan exists. She can be a smug pain in the ass a lot, and I have disagreed with her conclusions on many occasions, and for a philosophy graduate I don't think her reasoning and conclusions are always as good as they could be. But she is a much needed voice of reason and sanity in this community. I know nothing about babies, and even to me that poor baby looks not right.

Glittergirl19
Talker
Talker

Post by Glittergirl19 »

Unnatural vegan actually commented on this picture but I would like to hear from other parents if they think this child looks normal for its age? He's around 2-3 months. I have no experience with newborns either but he looks quite thin and I thought babies were supposed to be more chubby. The chubbiness will go away as they start learning to crawl/run/walk.

When I watched super nanny one of the parent had a lot of trouble feeding her twin toddlers and the toddlers were also developmentally behind their milestones although both parents were highly educated with PhDs. Super nanny said their lack of nutrition could be the direct cause of the twin's developmental delays. Just wondering other parent's opinions on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

illyxbelle
Learner
Learner

Post by illyxbelle »

Glittergirl19 wrote:
Baby Leo has been on my mind ever since I watched UV’s video. I keep hoping he’s just small for normal reasons but my heart aches when I consider that he might not be getting nutrient-dense breastmilk

lurker1991
Talker
Talker

Post by lurker1991 »

That's fucking terrifying. I hope someone calls CPS and the kid gets to a real, qualified medical doctor. Somehow I ended up reading this medical journal article on kwashiorkor among infants in developed countries a few weeks ago. A lot of the parents were vegan and fed their kids nutritionally deficient items instead of formula. It was pretty disturbing and sad.

Post by Guest »

^ All this makes me think of the poor baby in Belgium whose parents were clueless and stubborn, feeding him mostly quinoa milk and died with an empty stomach, weighing just 9 pounds at 7 months- truly heartbreaking.

lurker1991
Talker
Talker

Post by lurker1991 »

Tulips wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:14 am
^ All this makes me think of the poor baby in Belgium whose parents were clueless and stubborn, feeding him mostly quinoa milk and died with an empty stomach, weighing just 9 pounds at 7 months- truly heartbreaking.
How the hell would a parent not realize something was wrong and take their kid to the doctor before that? Pseudoscience is a plague in modern society. Between nutritional ignorance (aka outright rejection of nutritional research) and anti-vaxxers, kids of hippie parents are in danger. As an aside, it says online that now in Belgium parents can be prosecuted for forcing their kids to follow a vegan diet.

I don't want to offend anyone but I feel like veganism at this point is something of an experiment, and kids shouldn't be the guinea pigs. There is not a large enough sample size of long-term adherents to say that it is 100% healthy long-term. Vegetarianism has close to the same carbon impact as veganism according to studies, and people have been vegetarian for thousands of years so it's time-tested. Personally I'm mostly vegetarian (I take fish oil every day for my anxiety, vitamin D3 every day because I wear sun protection year-round, and I eat chicken or fish about once a week, but other than that I am vegetarian) and that's good enough for me. "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Post by Guest »

^ It sounds like you're a flexitarian; I don't think many vegetarians would eat any meat/fish. I was vegan for a few years but got concerned about my vitamin D levels recently- I now eat eggs from nearby smallholdings, it's not the same as mass-produced, intensively reared egg farming and all the cruelty that entails tbh. I'm now also taking a fish oil supplement: not only because it's a good source of vitamin D, I keep reading the omega 3 found in oily fish is better absorbed by the body. I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me but that's the decision I've made. It took me a while to get over feelings of 'guilt' over this. I still eat flaxseed and walnuts, etc.

There are families who have successfully raised their children vegan from conception but you have to do it right. I agree with you about it feeling like some sort of experiment, though.

Glittergirl19
Talker
Talker

Post by Glittergirl19 »

Dandelion wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:11 am
Glittergirl19 wrote:
Now there's even a YouTube channel called "vegan detoriation" or something like that where she compared before and after pictures of vegans and try to pick out their physical flaws and blame it on veganism.
What do you think of that channel? Do you think she actually shows people who have deteriorated while being vegan or does she just choose unflattering photos? I just saw one with a woman calling herself Meghan Remedy and her photo from when she was supposedly vegan was indeed bad, but the photo they showed of her after "healing" (lol) herself on a carnivore diet was obviously not as clear as the first one and from a totally different angle (even though she could have attempted to take a current photo replicating the old one). I then looked at the woman's Instagram and she was still posting vegan content last September, and she looked just like she does today. She came back at the beginning of the year with a story about how veganism ruined her health. I think it's wrong that so many people are using their own restrictive diet to prove a general inadequacy of a vegan diet.
I think that channel is biased as hell. The channel uploader even says a few times that she doesn't care about science. Appearances can change because of stress, parenthood etc. I think majority of the cases brought up by that channel has nothing to do with diet. Personally I don't think everyone can be vegan. Some people's bodies are wired differently. But most people should be fine on a vegan diet. But this channel and the other anti vegan channels are changing people's minds about veganism or at least painting the seed of doubt. Of course psycho vegans like freelee also help the anti vegan movement. I am ashamed to say that this channel did almost convince me to change my diet.

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”