True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Thatcher Joe Part 4 - Homeowner, the Sugg who isn't a Mug

Post by smars27 »

Gabz_is_shite wrote:New thread for the lovers and sort-of-lovers of Mr Sugg

:tu:
HAHA, I love it! :love2:

I wouldn't say I'm a lover (I wish**)but I'm definitely got a bit of lusting/crushing going on esp for that hot body with the sexy face and all the rest that's too good to go to waste ;)

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thatcher Joe Homeowner - The Sugg who isn't a Mug (Part

Post by ClipClap »

Ah, that new thread smell. Like the title.

I don't think I ever saw a collab with Joe I didn't like, excluding the Sawyer Hartman psychology test one which was just pointless and clearly last minute. So I liked the Josh one, but dear God, it's obvious he's trying to copy editing and styles from his friends.

With the Oli/Marcus music collab being so awful, I wonder how Joe/Marcus would do at that seeing they both have a pretty comprehensive music knowledge.
I usually use my phone - autocorrect (Swype) mistakes are unintentional.

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

(about brussels tweet from old thread)
I still believe Joe 'secretly' reads here lol, but I think (hope) he didn't tweet about brussels because we talked about how he's insensitive about deep issues around the world. I don't believe he's that kind of person anyway though lol.

hey joe, if you read here, use the word 'circle' in one of your tweets!
I don't know why I chose that word lol.

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ClipClap »

This whole Brussels tweets thing across at least two threads is silly. I don't understand the drama on GG about it at all.

CaKeKylie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CaKeKylie »

Yay, new thread :)

Yeah, Joe slayed Josh in that video, would like to him and Marcus 8-)

PeggyCarter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PeggyCarter »

Gabz_is_shite wrote:Can't believe I added to Josh's views by watching his lame challenge with Joe. I liked the sneaky half-shade Joe through at him by saying his second channel would be coming soon, and that he wasn't listening to Josh as the way he talks is so fascinating. As in - STUPID!

Sigh, I hate Josh. I think Joe came across slightly different in that vid, even though they were in his bedroom.
The whole Josh thing is so awkward. Like they all clearly hate him but because he's Caspar's best mate they have to pretend it's just BANTZ. I feel sorry for him sometimes but he's just way too try hard.

Anyway, I just caught up with the thread from a few days ago and this is maybe my favourite ever post
Weird Vagina wrote:please not 'thatch my vag, hoe for joe' or anything cringy like that lol...
I full on cackled when I read it :rofl:

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ClipClap »

I don't think they hate him at all. They wind each other up about subs and Twitter verification and so on all the time, but they're competitive.

For all we know they may have even suggested to him to start a channel in the first place.

CC_88
Informer
Informer

Post by CC_88 »

haha!! i love the new thread title! :love2: :love2: :rofl:

MalibuStacy
Learner
Learner

Post by MalibuStacy »

I really like Joe but I don't know how I feel about his book being nominated for The British Book Industry awards. I'm an illustrator and have visited the Bookseller offices myself on a previous job. I know of the struggles of freelance and can't help but think of how hard the other nominees have worked for years in that industry and strived to get where they are today. I feel the same about all the youtuber books really; they have a huge following so obviously their books are going to sell well to their fans, but I'm not sure how much input or effort they put into the publications that they lend their names to.

It's not Joe's fault and he obviously didn't ask to be nominated, just thought it was an odd choice from The Bookseller.

rachz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by rachz »

MalibuStacy wrote:I really like Joe but I don't know how I feel about his book being nominated for The British Book Industry awards. I'm an illustrator and have visited the Bookseller offices myself on a previous job. I know of the struggles of freelance and can't help but think of how hard the other nominees have worked for years in that industry and strived to get where they are today. I feel the same about all the youtuber books really; they have a huge following so obviously their books are going to sell well to their fans, but I'm not sure how much input or effort they put into the publications that they lend their names to.

It's not Joe's fault and he obviously didn't ask to be nominated, just thought it was an odd choice from The Bookseller.
Same here.
I'm against almost all YT books and the awards etc they get because of them. They literally get handed the opportunities and nominations on a silver plate, which is excruciatingly annoying when it's the ones who have barely contributed to the book itself (Zoe, Joe, Alfie, Tanya etc)

Happy with the title!

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

MalibuStacy wrote:I really like Joe but I don't know how I feel about his book being nominated for The British Book Industry awards. I'm an illustrator and have visited the Bookseller offices myself on a previous job. I know of the struggles of freelance and can't help but think of how hard the other nominees have worked for years in that industry and strived to get where they are today. I feel the same about all the youtuber books really; they have a huge following so obviously their books are going to sell well to their fans, but I'm not sure how much input or effort they put into the publications that they lend their names to.

Well he did stress that he worked with illustrators and writers and I don't think he claimed any ownership over the content of the book other than help direct and approve storylines. It is the publisher he pens him as the authot. I'm pretty sure he even identified the people behind the book, including the illustrator.

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

LadyBugB wrote:Well he did stress that he worked with illustrators and writers and I don't think he claimed any ownership over the content of the book other than help direct and approve storylines. It is the publisher he pens him as the authot. I'm pretty sure he even identified the people behind the book, including the illustrator.
thanks to zoe's ghostwriter scandal... they're more cautious now.
imagine that you have a dream to write a book and you work hard for years, and then some stupid social media fame whores show up and take that opportunity without even trying and they didn't even write their own books. ffs I'd be so mad if I had a dream like this.

rachz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by rachz »

Weird Vagina wrote:
LadyBugB wrote:Well he did stress that he worked with illustrators and writers and I don't think he claimed any ownership over the content of the book other than help direct and approve storylines. It is the publisher he pens him as the authot. I'm pretty sure he even identified the people behind the book, including the illustrator.
imagine that you have a dream to write a book and you work hard for years, and then some stupid social media fame whores show up and take that opportunity without even trying and they didn't even write their own books. ffs I'd be so mad if I had a dream like this.
This ^ 1000x
I've never dreamt of being a writer and it still pisses me off massively.
To put it into perspective, imagine a career you've always wanted to do and have been working extremely hard to get there for years - then one day, PointlessDeyes turns his camera on and announces that he's been handed the opportunity for free to either sign up for that course, or enter that career at a high rank - you would be furious, you can't deny it.

hobbiton
Informer
Informer

Post by hobbiton »

Weird Vagina wrote:
Exactly. If Zoe's ghost writing scandal never happened, all the other gleamers would have claimed ownership of their books. Joe probably would have as well. What exactly did he contribute to the book?

Honestly, I would be so embarrassed to my name on something I had nothing to do with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovelyaura
Debater
Debater

Post by lovelyaura »

I don't know if they already had meetings about his book but in a video way before his book came out he said he always wanted to bring out a comic book and he showed some artwork of his that was in that comic style so at least he could kinda justify his book but he was pretty open that he just gaves them his ideas and first drafts of the persons but the finished product was made by different other persons.
I mean people like Oli always talk about how they never read and then they bring out a book and put the author in his video, so not even trying to hide the fact he's literally not doing anything.

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

My issue with YouTuber books is not that they are necessarily bad writers (which most of them are but that's irrelevant). It's that they just don't have a story to tell. Most people in their 20s will not be able to write an engaging book based on their life. Sure, YouTubers arguably have more exciting stuff happening to them and fame changes how you live and perceive the world. But they, as YouTubers, already put that out there in videos. What is left for their books? Boring early life stories and anecdotes don't cut it and make for a disengaging reading.
The only YouTuber books I bother reading are the ones that are either fiction or comedy. I loved Mamrie's book, I didn't mind Grace's first book. I was bored once and saw Amazon had a 3 for £10 on YouTuber books, so I bought the ones by Connor Franta, Joey Graceffa and Shane Dawson.
They were all pure garbage. Shane's was the best of the bunch, but that doesn't mean it was objectively good. I have also read books by Amy Poehler, Tina Fey and similar mainstream comedians and I genuinely loved them. But these people have talent, something YouTubers usually lack.

I can respect Joe for the fact that his 'book' was not exactly a book. A comic book with a (semi?) fictional story, actual effort put into it, with acknowledgement that others have worked on it. He's not acting like he's a 20 year old with the wit and life knowledge of a 60 year old born-again vegan buddhist fitness guru. Don't get me started on Marcus and the fact that he released a guide book when he's barely an adult himself.

MalibuStacy
Learner
Learner

Post by MalibuStacy »

niki900 wrote:My issue with YouTuber books is not that they are necessarily bad writers (which most of them are but that's irrelevant). It's that they just don't have a story to tell. Most people in their 20s will not be able to write an engaging book based on their life. Sure, YouTubers arguably have more exciting stuff happening to them and fame changes how you live and perceive the world. But they, as YouTubers, already put that out there in videos. What is left for their books? Boring early life stories and anecdotes don't cut it and make for a disengaging reading.
The only YouTuber books I bother reading are the ones that are either fiction or comedy. I loved Mamrie's book, I didn't mind Grace's first book. I was bored once and saw Amazon had a 3 for £10 on YouTuber books, so I bought the ones by Connor Franta, Joey Graceffa and Shane Dawson.
They were all pure garbage. Shane's was the best of the bunch, but that doesn't mean it was objectively good. I have also read books by Amy Poehler, Tina Fey and similar mainstream comedians and I genuinely loved them. But these people have talent, something YouTubers usually lack.

I can respect Joe for the fact that his 'book' was not exactly a book. A comic book with a (semi?) fictional story, actual effort put into it, with acknowledgement that others have worked on it. He's not acting like he's a 20 year old with the wit and life knowledge of a 60 year old born-again vegan buddhist fitness guru. Don't get me started on Marcus and the fact that he released a guide book when he's barely an adult himself.
My issue isn't with the actual book itself, it's how it garnered the platform and award accolades it has; through Youtube. Getting a book published is an incredibly hard thing to do and Evie is only where it is now because of Joe's youtube association. The children's book industry is incredibly competitive and certain authors and illustrators will work hard for years only to be turned down again and again. There are hundreds more deserving picture books, YA novels and, indeed, comics made in the past year that should have been nominated.

Perhaps the sales could have gone into consideration but The Bookseller is quite a respectable publication, I'm more surprised with them if anything.

mix10
Debater
Debater

Post by mix10 »

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but I just have to say that sometimes I forget how young so many of his (and most of the other Gleamers) viewers are. In his diary video, people are writing their birth year in the comments and the majority of them were born in the 2000's, many of them in 2004 and some even in 2006! It makes me feel so old, yet I'm much closer to Joe's age than they are (I'm actually older lol), which is just so weird. :?

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

MalibuStacy wrote:My issue isn't with the actual book itself, it's how it garnered the platform and award accolades it has; through Youtube. Getting a book published is an incredibly hard thing to do and Evie is only where it is now because of Joe's youtube association. The children's book industry is incredibly competitive and certain authors and illustrators will work hard for years only to be turned down again and again. There are hundreds more deserving picture books, YA novels and, indeed, comics made in the past year that should have been nominated.

Perhaps the sales could have gone into consideration but The Bookseller is quite a respectable publication, I'm more surprised with them if anything.
I get where you're coming from, but this isn't just a YouTube thing. Literally anyone in the world with a sizable audience can get a book deal. Most celebrities will at some point in their career put out a book, YouTubers are no different. The only difference being that most other celebrities have the talent to write or tell compelling stories. But then reality TV stars get book deals too, so I guess YouTubers have those people to look up to.

PeggyCarter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PeggyCarter »

mix10 wrote:Sorry to change the subject a bit, but I just have to say that sometimes I forget how young so many of his (and most of the other Gleamers) viewers are. In his diary video, people are writing their birth year in the comments and the majority of them were born in the 2000's, many of them in 2004 and some even in 2006! It makes me feel so old, yet I'm much closer to Joe's age than they are (I'm actually older lol), which is just so weird. :?
Wow, that makes me feel ancient. Although I think I started watching YTers (like charlieissocoollike and that old gang of them) around 2007 when I would've been 13. There was never the obsession thing with YTers that there is now though - they weren't at the "celebrity" stage yet. I remember charlieissocoolike and nerimon used to go to meetups that would be super chilled and with less than 50 people there. And they were arguably two of the most popular YTers (in Britain) at the time.

Return to “Thatcher Joe”