Mashable Article - Michelle Phan is starting over.

Mashable Article - Michelle Phan is starting over.

Post by Guest »

This article is pissing me off front right and center - http://mashable.com/2016/02/13/michelle ... a.Kmgiakqf
It had been a tough year. Phan had managed to raise enough cash from her relatives and mom — more than $10,000 — to attend her first semester at the Ringling College of Art and Design. But by the time the second had started, she came up short. Unable to pay for tuition and having no credit for loans, she was forced to drop out.
This was what she said at the time when it was announced she would receive the Honorary shit from Ringling:

AND THIS.
Years later, after Phan had settled in Los Angeles, she traveled back to Florida. Her alma mater, the Ringling College of Arts and Design, was giving her an honorary doctorate degree. The prize was a huge honor, yes, but its significance meant much more to someone else.

“See, Mom? I’m a doctor now,” she said.

It was validation to an Asian immigrant mother whose sole American Dream was not only to provide for her offspring, but see them thrive. All those years of heartache, of missed opportunity, of regret, all weighing on her shoulders seemed to finally lift away, vanishing into the brackish air.

Dafuq! :x

I'm gonna be writing up an article on the Tumblr. I remember someone posting pictures and screen caps of her old blogs(Xanga & Blogspot) of her bragging about hanging out at their "family vacation house" and Michelle & Steve on their iMacs. Post them and I'll include them into the article.

likefrylikefry
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mashable Article - Michelle Phan is starting over.

Post by likefrylikefry »

Love that they said she had to "drop out" because she had "no credit" for students loans... You do NOT need credit for student loans in the USA. Most people go through FASFA. Complete bs.

snuffy777
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by snuffy777 »

"I call 2015 a year of deconstruction,” she says. “I needed to deconstruct myself, my businesses, and find all of the holes in my empire.” She winces at the word. “I had to find holes and fill them with people who could do it better.” One of those holes was em, which launched in August 2013. According to insiders formerly at em, the brand wasn’t hitting expectations and was underperforming. Em never made it past its startup phase, sources say. The brand didn’t stand a chance with L’Oreal at the helm, because the company provided little to no resources to help it grow, a former em employee tells Mashable.

So, Phan retook the brand and assumed full control. Ipsy bought the company from L’Oreal USA last October for an undisclosed amount. The decision, she says, was a no-brainer. “How can you control the destiny of your career if you have other people putting red tape around you?” Phan says. “So 2015 was the year where I destroyed my ego. Now, 2016 is the year of construction."
:o Completely raging right now! Nothing is ever her fault, right? Everyone is always holding her back in some way. :roll: What an ungrateful bitch. Why didn't she start her own makeup line herself in the first place then?! People do it everyday! Even people who don't have the resources that she does manage to start SUCCESSFUL lines all the time! If she would just make better/smarter decisions she could've avoided all these business failures. But who am I kidding? She's a grubby, greedy, slimy, icky person with an over-inflated ego who's only interested in profits and power, hence why she takes on so many projects (that she can't even handle). Her need to be seen as a powerful, majestic, otherworldly goddess of an empire :roll: is seriously gonna be the downfall of her because she doesn't have the intelligence/savvy/creativity/passion to back it up.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

Her ego is all that she lives to serve.

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

I love how she keeps adding peices to her rags to riches stories
First it was I made that lion costume myself with a plate and lipstick.
Then it was my mom bought me a lion costume from a charity store.
After years of telling her story to shit loads of magazines she adds another piece about how her mommy used to put money in her shoes and her pockets
And then in her nylon interview she said she'd found money in one of her zipped teddy bears.
And now suddenly she's talking about her step dad who made her cut off contact with her father? Even though clearly her father had just upped and left how could there of been any contact to begin with,if she had never seen him again?.. Unless she did see him again, which she did... Graduation but when the clock struck 12 at midnight he disappeared once more :rofl: ( Nylon). She makes him out to be some wicked stepdad from a Disney movie which makes me think it's more bs.
She's always adding new bits and pieces to the story and refining things to make them sound sadder. And you can tell a lot of it is bs I.e " I told my mom by the time I was 25 I was going to retire her" I 100% believe that's a blatant lie along with " my grandfather could see the future I knew this was all going to happen" :rofl:

My theory is that her pr team or whatever keep refining and changing her story. " ok how about you add that your mom used to put money in your shoes and pockets"
" and then you can also include about how your stepdad made
You cut contact with your dad and you should compare him to a dictator".

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

YUCK! wrote:This article is pissing me off front right and center - http://mashable.com/2016/02/13/michelle-phan-starting-over/#HTa.Kmgiakqf
It had been a tough year. Phan had managed to raise enough cash from her relatives and mom — more than $10,000 — to attend her first semester at the Ringling College of Art and Design. But by the time the second had started, she came up short. Unable to pay for tuition and having no credit for loans, she was forced to drop out.
This was what she said at the time when it was announced she would receive the Honorary shit from Ringling:
[img][/img]

AND THIS.
Years later, after Phan had settled in Los Angeles, she traveled back to Florida. Her alma mater, the Ringling College of Arts and Design, was giving her an honorary doctorate degree. The prize was a huge honor, yes, but its significance meant much more to someone else.

“See, Mom? I’m a doctor now,” she said.

It was validation to an Asian immigrant mother whose sole American Dream was not only to provide for her offspring, but see them thrive. All those years of heartache, of missed opportunity, of regret, all weighing on her shoulders seemed to finally lift away, vanishing into the brackish air.

Dafuq! :x

I'm gonna be writing up an article on the Tumblr. I remember someone posting pictures and screen caps of her old blogs(Xanga & Blogspot) of her bragging about hanging out at their "family vacation house" and Michelle & Steve on their iMacs. Post them and I'll include them into the article.
Don't forget yuck,
That was all deception as chinderella dreamed of living a good life she projected that onto a blog. A persona if you will.
So those blog posts about la mer weren't real she made the packaging out of a cardboard box and she even drew the logo. She then coloured it in with her special pens that her mommy got her when she was 6 years old, lastly she filled it with whipped cream because she couldn't afford skin care even though she claimed her mom was a dermatologist.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

This far into her 'career', she shouldn't have to tell that sob story to get views and support. It's cheap and pandering. wtf even, yo? Are you that devoid of talent that you have to keep pushing that sob story to every media outlet that interviews you?

Fairwind
Learner
Learner

Post by Fairwind »

I think she has a disorder. Acute Lying Syndrome. I used to have a friend who's lying all the time and every time i hear the same story, it's never the same. Michelle keep on adding little details until the 100th telling, it became something else entirely. Hey, praise the internet right? We can track everything that she said throughout the years and call her out about it. It is now become the matter of press find out about her inconsistency and release it to the public. Can't wait until that day comes. The day when her goody-two-shoes, manipulative, hypocritical works become the things that are going to punch her back so hard in her face. I'm gonna tell you, karma is a bitch.

Off note: Am I the only one who's very bothered with that huge ass video of her eyefucking the camera so hard? It feels really awkward, forced, and tryhard. Especially when she keeps on making eye contact with the camera while moving her braids on display.

Fairwind
Learner
Learner

Post by Fairwind »

Sorry to double post but:
Jean Godfrey-June, beauty director at Goop, has followed Phan’s career for years. To her, Phan is facing a dilemma many content creators have: Create popular products that reflect who they are as brands.

I think being brilliant and wildly successful in that realm [of YouTube] doesn't guarantee being an overwhelming, right-out-of-the-gates success,” she says. "Em is a great line, but it hasn't yet had the impact on our culture that Michelle herself has had.”
This statement is pissing me off so bad. Hey, if your brand has to reflect who you are, then EM is the complete opposite of what she had to represent. Considering that her audience are youth groups, females who are still in school, rarely female adults (because yes, who wants to try absurd makeup looks and they grew up already to become invulnerable with her tricks and her "cutesy-ness").

But in this article, she keeps on INSISTING that she's a freaking brilliant and successful human being. Well, she's somewhat successful in making multi-million dollar companies (which are not completely run by her), and calling yourself brilliant despite repetitive content and plagiarizing people? Gurl, you must be out of your mind. Yes, Michelle is exposed to a lot of Youtube viewers, but the growth of her audience is gradually declining since she earned most of her viewers during her "humble" days. People started to see through her lies and lack of techniques hence the declining subscribers.

To think that she created EM for her subscribers are wonderful, but she got carried away. She should stop thinking herself as high and mighty, celebrity quality, and talented. Hence she made her products as a "luxury" product because she thinks that she's that high standard. You gotta pull out that stick in your ass, Michelle. If you wanna be successful, please do just that. Just be humble because that your subscribers are the ones who made you famous and where you are now. If you still think that you made all that happen because you are so awesome and *cough* brilliant, think again. Deconstruct myself, you said. Then do just that.

Michelle, I'm gonna say this one more time: YOU GOT LUCKY. She made makeup videos when no one has done it before. Kind of like PewDiePie you see. Be the first one to make something happen and voila, instant success. The thing is whether if the person wants to improve in what he/she does. Apparently in Michelle's case, her success and "brilliantness" get through her head so badly, that she can't see straight. She doesn't improve and doesn't want to make effort to improve herself in terms of makeup skills. She doesn't even bother to get her legit bachelor degree even though she has all the money now. Financial is not the issue now if all the story of her growing up poor is true. She can easily get any kind of education to aid in improving her skills as an artist and MUA, but the thing is she doesn't want to! Hey, she generates money vigorously now so why bother going to school, am I right? She can just pay people to do all the work for her. Business/marketing savvy my ass, thank your employees who do the work!

Sorry this went longer than I originally thought. I'm so pissed.

/rant

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

^^I hear you, Fairwind.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

My deal is....why do people still insist on working with her even after she throws brands under the bus like that? When Em was luanching, she was saying how blessed she was to have been working with L'Oreal all these years and that they have a great relationship, but now she's saying that in the two years they were working on Em, L'Oreal was holding back her vision? wtf?

You are NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER supposed to talk shit about past professional relationships even if things went sour one way or another. It's like when celebrities get divorced - more often than not, the reason for the divorce is "irreconcilable differences". That's just good PR. Putting all the blame on L'Oreal for the failure of Em is just extremely unprofessional, imo.

Way to be a savvy business woman, Michelle.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

Honestly, I'm waiting for the day that some big media outlet cite the Mishbunny and MichellePhail tumblrs as resources for all of Michelle's inconsistencies throughout her years online. She has changed and deleted so many things since her time online that these Tumblrs served as time capsules for all of Michelle's online misdemeanors.

Some people may dismiss them as "just tumblr websites" but honestly, @YUCK! puts more effort into properly citing researching everything that goes into the Mishbunny Tumblr than any other media outlet who have interviewed and featured Michelle so far.

Post by Guest »

The Mashable article is an example of bad journalism; if her intention to start over in 2016 is to rebuild her rags-to-riches story, then there you have it. So much frustration reading the article because there were so many inconsistencies that were tweaked to paint her in a sympathetic light. She has milked the "I grew up poor" tale for so many times and it's pathetic to see it repeated in every single article. Like there's nothing else to talk about Michelle Phan other than her "Chinderella" story. If she's the talented artist that she had claimed throughout the years, focused on that and show your doodles and sketches that Ringling can be proud of. You know, that college that gave her that Honorary Doctorate :roll:

Fairwind
Learner
Learner

Post by Fairwind »

Bad journalism aside, let's talk about her makeup and her getup as well. In my opinion, her makeup is atrocious. I don't know who did the makeup, in this case I'm sure it's Michelle herself, or if not then the makeup artist must be an amateur. Notice that her right eyebrow (our left) is drawn much higher than the other one. It screams bad technique.

Also wearing a fashion bra over a shirt... not sure if I'm digging that. Most of her outfits here doesn't suit her at all in terms of body type or probably her true image. Edgy and futuristic is definitely not for her, she can't pull that off in a million years. Why can't she wear clean and normal clothing and look professional for an article? Her stylists also to blame for dressing her up like she got dragged out of a dollar store. Her lip color, I'm pretty sure I see pinkish color as well, she probably meant to make a gradation lip color but instead the colors are poorly blended. I can only see pink blotches all over her lips. After making these observation, I'm pretty sure Michelle did her own makeup and it's atrocious.

What is up with her with wanting to be a "space unicorn" kind of image now. Considering that Michelle has changing herself into different personas (wanna-be korean, wanna-be caucasian, wanna-be edgy, wanna-be fashion blogger, you name it), this is getting ridiculous. I assume she's now immersing herself into african-american culture? Because she's sporting braids and styled baby hairs for quite some time now. She's no longer overexposing her pictures and make her look like a plain printing paper. Well, she has lots of money and it can buy her props for new persona just fine, but it can't buy herself a personality.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

^^ I think the look Michelle is going for now is "urban" or "street" ever since hanging out with Karen O and JKissa. If she's "appreciating" culture or different styles or whatever, she's doing it wrong. You don't need to completely change your look every time you find a style that you like. How about just working in bits and pieces of that fashion into your own style?

Oh, right... because Michelle doesn't have one.

Off topic, but does anyone find her voice annoying now? I follow her on Snapchat, and I just hate the way she talks. She either sounds condescending to me (like when she was talking to Promise) or she just sounds juvenile.

Blazikenblade01
Debater
Debater

Post by Blazikenblade01 »

Mp will honestly destroy said ego only when pigs fly. History always goes in a circle unless someone steps in to take over the bullcrap & bothers to fix it. Of course loreal won't answer to them, em was basically a total failure on their part. If anyone actually bothered to do research on her past they would know the real truth to it all. Ipsy of course buys em, who else would.

No we all know its all lies, just like the whole TPP!
There are many reasons for why Arissa is famous, but "looking like Michelle Phan" isn't one of them~Chiyou

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

That's interesting. My best friend lives in one of the most economically difficult-to-thrive states in the US - she was born to two drug addicts and endured nothing but poverty and abuse her whole childhood. Her parents even took credit cards out in her name to buy drugs, giving her bad credit.

She went to college. She finished college. Twice - and two MA degrees. Because she was able to get a student loan (in spite of above circumstances) and she worked hard. She is pretty much everything Michelle claims to be.

But please everyone, let's cry a river for Michelle. Poor soul couldn't even go to college like all the other poor kids.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

Return to “Michelle Phan”