Markiplier - Part 8

Striker693
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier - Part 8

Post by Striker693 »

Just watched his Chica face warp video, it was pretty cute! There's definitely been a noticeable improvement in his mood over the past few weeks and it seems to be having a positive effect on his content and his attempt to reconnect, which is a good sign. Here's hoping things will continue to run smoothly for him.

He's definitely the type of person who's mood can be felt even if he's putting on a brave face or trying to act happy. I also feel that we (the users in this Markiplier thread) are the type of people that seem to be exceptionally perceptive and intuitive to emotions, which is why we've picked up on it when something feels "off" with Mark (even prior to the year long shit fest in 2015) whereas the vast majority of the fans took things at face value and assumed he was fine until signs of a problem became unmistakeably obvious... I suppose it also helps that we don't put him on a pedstal so we're more receptive to the fact that he's only human.

Speaking of perception, something i've noticed that's become more apparent over time is that "Markiplier" is becoming a completely separate entity to Mark. What started out as the two being one and the same has gradually manifested into Markiplier becoming a persona of sorts, still very much an aspect of his personality but only a very small piece amplified x10 to which Mark can hide behind. I don't know if this was a conscious decision or if the separation was a subconscious occurrence attributed to his growing fame, but I think it functions as a way to keep his personal life private without the uber-obsessed fans laying claim to every little piece of him as public property. It's very interesting!

ORZ
Learner
Learner

Post by ORZ »

kei wrote: I think that's what's being said, though? Keeping it private is certainly one thing. No one's image is actively being harmed in that, and the more low-key Septiplier fans get that. They're not the ones posting stuff in the public tags. But once you start sharing with the world and getting upset when the world doesn't think it's the greatest thing ever, that's when feathers get ruffled and you get people spamming tags with 50SOG-related photoshops with the insistence that Mark's silence means it's okay. That "Punish me Daddy" aesthetic photo? Not okay.

IMO I think shipping anybody that's a real person is creepy anyway, and even more creepy when people try forcing them into a different sexuality than they say they are just because it's "hot". But I know others enjoy it, and I refuse to rain on their parade just because I don't get it. But anything posted publicly is open to scrutiny and criticism, which I think is MAC's point.
Ah, right)) Apologies, I was super tired when I read the posts and I got the "over generalized Septiplier opinion" impression.
I'm not even going to comment on the 50SOG manip, cause that really pissed me off :D It's a whole different beast of utterly crazy fangirl/boying.
”Internet freedom is a bit of a Rorschach test: it means different things to different people.”

ORZ
Learner
Learner

Post by ORZ »

On the topic of MAC, I've seen a popular Markiplier fan artist's post on Tumblr yesterday, which summed up to "I don't know what drama there is in the fandom?? Why do people think Mark needs to stand up and guide/save us? There is no problem in the community, no drama, nothing we need to be saved from. Really, it's just the haters that make up the opinion that there IS drama."
I almost choked on my coffee when I read that. Do people really believe that everything is hunky-dory? Are they so far up their assess that they can't see the huge, gaping holes?
”Internet freedom is a bit of a Rorschach test: it means different things to different people.”

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

ORZ wrote:On the topic of MAC, I've seen a popular Markiplier fan artist's post on Tumblr yesterday, which summed up to "I don't know what drama there is in the fandom?? Why do people think Mark needs to stand up and guide/save us? There is no problem in the community, no drama, nothing we need to be saved from. Really, it's just the haters that make up the opinion that there IS drama."
I almost choked on my coffee when I read that. Do people really believe that everything is hunky-dory? Are they so far up their assess that they can't see the huge, gaping holes?
The fact that a large bulk of the fandom have a pack mentality and will actively seek out and attack anyone that dares to have a difference of opinion is so obvious it may as well come with a neon sign and marching band to announce it's arrival, LOL!

ORZ
Learner
Learner

Post by ORZ »

Striker693 wrote:I do wonder why Mark chooses to ignore it though. Obviously none of us know the guy personally, but this sort of thing always makes me question whether it's nature or nurture. Is he just naturally the type of guy that doesn't handle conflict well? Or is it a result of past experiences? For example, maybe witnessing his parents arguing so much leading up to their divorce led him to actively avoid conflict throughout his life (he mentioned in his draw your life video that his mom got angry with his dad a lot, which made his dad sad, which in turn made him and his brother sad) and then years down the line perhaps those conflict avoidance tactics became reinforced during his time in the physically abusive relationship he was stuck in for a while. It could be any number or combination of things, I guess.
I think you're right. On top of that, it seems that Mark is a genuinely a nice guy who wants to be on good terms with everyone. Looking back at the "trans" backlash during his old drunk minecraft days, I'd say that he got even more self-conscious about being politically correct, because it was not his intention to hurt anyone, yet his drunken jest was taken in a way-over-the top serious manner and people ended up offended. That was sure to dig him further into his shell, because if he believes that he is an intrinsically nice person, he will do anything to uphold that image of himself — for himself.
Last edited by ORZ on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

Sure Mark doesn't HAVE to stand up and "save us", BUT it is HIS community and for someone that frequently talks about wanting to make the world a better place and build a community that can "do good in the world" you'd think he'd rise to the occasion and reinforce those ground rules. "You don't know the power you hold" - THEY may not, but HE does. He also knows the power he himself holds over his community, it's high time that he stood up and put those words into action.

That being said, perhaps the reason he hasn't addressed it is due to all the unforeseen problems and obstacles that have been going on behind the scenes in his personal life, even prior to 2015 there was likely shit going on behind the scenes in some aspect of his life (especially if his ex really does have all the issues people say she has). I think it'll be this next year that change will attempt to happen IF he really is a man of his word and IF he can put on his big boy pants and lay down the law... is it too little too late? Probably, but he could at least try to restore order.

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

ORZ wrote:
Striker693 wrote:I do wonder why Mark chooses to ignore it though. Obviously none of us know the guy personally, but this sort of thing always makes me question whether it's nature or nurture. Is he just naturally the type of guy that doesn't handle conflict well? Or is it a result of past experiences? For example, maybe witnessing his parents arguing so much leading up to their divorce led him to actively avoid conflict throughout his life (he mentioned in his draw your life video that his mom got angry with his dad a lot, which made his dad sad, which in turn made him and his brother sad) and then years down the line perhaps those conflict avoidance tactics became reinforced during his time in the physically abusive relationship he was stuck in for a while. It could be any number or combination of things, I guess.
I think you're right. On top of that, it seems that Mark is a genuinely a nice guy who wants to be on good terms with everyone. Looking back at the "*no gender slurs, ty" backlash during his old drunk minecraft days, I'd say that he got even more self-conscious about being politically correct, because it was not his intention to hurt anyone, yet his drunken jest was taken in a way-over-the top serious manner and people ended up offended. That was sure to dig him further into his shell, because if he believes that he is an intrinsically nice person, he will do anything to uphold that image of himself — for himself.
Absolutely. It sounds like someone needs to sit him down and help him work through some of those issues. He strikes me as the type of guy that has a bit of a hero complex and as a result takes it upon himself to help/heal everyone else at the expense of his own health/issues, he's so busy being strong for everyone that he's creating weakness within himself by hold himself to such impossibly high standards. The paradox of the matter is that if he was more forgiving of himself and lowered his own self-standards he'd be in a better position to help others, which sounds counter intuitive but the way he is with himself currently isn't sustainable and that's why these breakdowns occur.

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

I was just thinking about the fandom in general and I get impression that the bulk of the super obsessed fans (and the ones that call him daddy and treat him like a piece of meat) are the ones that are newer to the fandom that have found him since he's been supernova. Whereas the ones that were around from the start and the ones that watched him before he got super huge tend to be more respectful. You can see the huge split down the middle between those that treat him like a human being and those that treat him like a piece of meat/demi God/dancing monkey.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

Not a lot of time to write at the moment and I'm probably forgetting something I wanted to say, but has anyone else noticed he's regularly linking back to his older videos (before summer 2014) at the end these days? He used to link to fairly recent stuff, with his older videos making an occasional appearance. I'm honestly not insinuating anything by it, I just thought it was interesting because it stood out to me as unusual lately.

AquarianHorse
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse »

Yeah Kei I noticed that too :D I think that's nice, a bit of nostalgia kinda, since I only been a fan of Mark's for year and a half-ish :P It is nice to watch his older stuff :) Maybe he thinks people don't know he has much older stuff or he thinks new fans would want to see them?

It would be nice if the fandom can chillax a bit with how they treat Mark, and each other. I just don't think it will happen. :/ I think the only thing you can do is to keep away from all the toxicity of the fandom and stick with the nicer guys like on here on GG :D

I was on reddit, looking at the threads on there. I go there more often now too but I am not even signed up. I just lurk :P

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

AquarianHorse wrote:Yeah Kei I noticed that too :D I think that's nice, a bit of nostalgia kinda, since I only been a fan of Mark's for year and a half-ish :P It is nice to watch his older stuff :) Maybe he thinks people don't know he has much older stuff or he thinks new fans would want to see them?

It would be nice if the fandom can chillax a bit with how they treat Mark, and each other. I just don't think it will happen. :/ I think the only thing you can do is to keep away from all the toxicity of the fandom and stick with the nicer guys like on here on GG :D

I was on reddit, looking at the threads on there. I go there more often now too but I am not even signed up. I just lurk :P
What's it like over there? Level headed or bat shit bananas?

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

Striker693 wrote:
AquarianHorse wrote:Yeah Kei I noticed that too :D I think that's nice, a bit of nostalgia kinda, since I only been a fan of Mark's for year and a half-ish :P It is nice to watch his older stuff :) Maybe he thinks people don't know he has much older stuff or he thinks new fans would want to see them?

Reddit's not bad (usually) but they aren't necessarily all that good either. You get some gold every now and then, but then you also get this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Markiplier/com ... mulator_6/

alex_underwater
Debater
Debater

Post by alex_underwater »

A little offtopic, but I still don't understand why he chose to not post the streams anymore? why is posting them bad?did he even give a reason?

I'm glad I don't follow the fandom on tumblr, I only lurk the tag sometimes to see the most popular gifs and fanarts. Some of it sounds like a headache even just reading on here about it haha.
Striker693 wrote:
ORZ wrote:
I think you're right. On top of that, it seems that Mark is a genuinely a nice guy who wants to be on good terms with everyone. Looking back at the "*no gender slurs, ty" backlash during his old drunk minecraft days, I'd say that he got even more self-conscious about being politically correct, because it was not his intention to hurt anyone, yet his drunken jest was taken in a way-over-the top serious manner and people ended up offended. That was sure to dig him further into his shell, because if he believes that he is an intrinsically nice person, he will do anything to uphold that image of himself — for himself.
Absolutely. It sounds like someone needs to sit him down and help him work through some of those issues. He strikes me as the type of guy that has a bit of a hero complex and as a result takes it upon himself to help/heal everyone else at the expense of his own health/issues, he's so busy being strong for everyone that he's creating weakness within himself by hold himself to such impossibly high standards. The paradox of the matter is that if he was more forgiving of himself and lowered his own self-standards he'd be in a better position to help others, which sounds counter intuitive but the way he is with himself currently isn't sustainable and that's why these breakdowns occur.
If it is a product of his past, trust me, that shit NEVER goes away. It can get better, but still. Sometimes it fucks you up so bad it takes you an entire life to get over it. You can talk to therapists all you want but it takes time to heal.

I have faith he can handle it, whatever it is.
If a youtuber falls in a stage show or tour, are they still like us?

Striker693
Debater
Debater

Post by Striker693 »

kei wrote:
Striker693 wrote:

Reddit's not bad (usually) but they aren't necessarily all that good either. You get some gold every now and then, but then you also get this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Markiplier/com ... mulator_6/
LOL "a bit fruity" that's hilarious! I think Mark is just very comfortable with his sexuality and that's why he's so liberal with the dick jokes etc

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

Offtopic: I don't know if anyone here is from or near Brussels, but I know there's a lot of European users here on GG. Stay strong. <3 I can't offer more than words, sadly, since I'm an ocean away, but I hope you find a light in such dark times as these.

Post by Guest »

My heart goes out to those in brussel and have family members there. It really sucks living in a world that has to deal with these attacks. <3

Mark made it to 12 million tonight, and it looks like he is making the dog version of meow. It'll be interesting to see if this one goes as viral as meow did. And sucks that he hurt his knee, I know that hurts.

MapleNia
Informer
Informer

Post by MapleNia »

Offtopic: My heart goes out to those in Brussel and family members! I hope they are safe now and they will be able to recover

And yes! I was just coming online to say the exact thing KMS! Considering the picture on Twitter, I think that will be the special video for the 12 million milestone. I'm glad he is doing those kinds of videos, it's more cheerful! If this goes viral, I'm preparing myself to see it spread in my FB newsfeed.

I saw it on the RYC video about his knee; I don't know if it was acting but he was limping a bit. I know that it hurts... Some rest and that pad thing will surely help!
"All for one and one for all; united we stand, divided we fall."
Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

Yeah I suspect a dog version of Meow coming soon, likely will be named either Woof, Bark, or possibly Borf since that's what he says Chica makes instead. Wonder if he'll have clips of Chica and Lego in there too?

It sucks he hurt his leg though. Hopefully that means he'll rest up for a while and doesn't do anything stupid like go rock climbing while injured. He's said that he's capable of climbing without his legs, but it's still a better idea to keep as much weight off of it as possible. And no heavy lifting, which includes Chica.

But congrats on the 12 million Mark. You earned it. :respekt:

Post by Guest »

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:Yeah I suspect a dog version of Meow coming soon, likely will be named either Woof, Bark, or possibly Borf since that's what he says Chica makes instead. Wonder if he'll have clips of Chica and Lego in there too?

It sucks he hurt his leg though. Hopefully that means he'll rest up for a while and doesn't do anything stupid like go rock climbing while injured. He's said that he's capable of climbing without his legs, but it's still a better idea to keep as much weight off of it as possible. And no heavy lifting, which includes Chica.

But congrats on the 12 million Mark. You earned it. :respekt:
Oh, Im sure Chica and Lego will be a part of the video:) and congrats to Mark. He has worked hard for it:)!!

AquarianHorse
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse »

I'd love to see a dog version of the meow video :D When I saw the meow video I was thinking, I hope he makes one with dogs, and you guys know I'm a huge sucker for dogs. Yes I love cats I just love dogs (and horses) more :D Tho I think I'd pick dogs over horses..shh don't tell...

Yeah hurt knees suck :/ I heard knee surgeries (Not saying he will get one, or he needs one, etc or anything-just in the topic of knees in general), suck and usually need more surgeries. He can climb without his legs? DAMN! That's awesome :D

Heh, when I watched the video I don't know if it happened for you guys but for recommended, YT Told me to watch the 6 million and 8 million reaction. I doubt Mark would see it but I was going to post a comment talking about how he cries a lot :P (Not in a mean way of course). I think he talked about how he cries a lot in the ear biscuit thing with Rhett and Link. :D It's good to know he's a sensitive guy, he just makes stupid moves sometimes but we all have. Worst than others.

I am not sure how I found out, I think someone on here said it or I saw it somewhere but I think I was a fan of Mark since FNAF came out and he was at 3 million subs then right? 12 million people...that is over whelming D: (Not to be a downer but like you said Monkeees some of those subs may have been abandoned, etc, and what not).

Return to “Markiplier”