Alix / I Covet Thee

SillySausage
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Alix / I Covet Thee

Post by SillySausage »

me_cago_en_todo wrote:Alix just tweeted this: <a class="vglnk" href="" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>youtube</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>watch</span><span>?</span><span>v</span><span>=</span><span>qzLkSAVD8gA</span><span>&</span><span>feature</span><span>=</span><span>youtu</span><span>.</span><span>be</span></a> It's Drew Barrymore watching one of her youtube tutorials. Proper awesome I'll say

Thats cool she got a mention from Drew. Hope that cheered her up a bit :love2:

kurkuma
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kurkuma »

Yep. So nice Glamour decided to show Drew Alix' video.
I'm also happy Alix said in her video she's going on several trips soon. I hope it will help her feel better. I have to agree about the "Life update" videos though. I knew she would be back with one of those, and although I liked the first "Life update" videos she made, it really got to a point now where I just think she would not need to post life update after life update if she just posted a little more regular. And next week is Easter, so that might make her feel down again....

Cinnamon roll
Talker
Talker

Post by Cinnamon roll »

I think she’s on a loop on taking breaks and then apologising. I hope she can find a healthy work/life balance, because it doesn’t look like this on-off-on again relationship with youtube is good for her. I recently thought it was maybe a good time for her to do something else, even though I’ve watched her since 2013 and I will miss her.

meg1912
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by meg1912 »

Cinnamon roll wrote:I think she’s on a loop on taking breaks and then apologising. I hope she can find a healthy work/life balance, because it doesn’t look like this on-off-on again relationship with youtube is good for her. I recently thought it was maybe a good time for her to do something else, even though I’ve watched her since 2013 and I will miss her.
Yeah. I really like Alix and wish her all the best. But at the same time, I can't help but lose interest and when I saw she had uploaded, I was like: do I really wanna watch another update video? I don't want to come across as insensitive, I too had someone really close to me lose the battle to cancer, but I do wish she'd open up more. I feel like her update videos aren't very truthful as she only scratches the surface of what's really going on with her.
Also, I can't help but wonder how can someone who seems quite humble and well grounded be such good friends with someone as self-centered, shallow and childish as Suzie? I really don't know and I'll admit that really puts me off from watching Alix's vlogs as I can't stand Suzie.

Ombre_so_over
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Ombre_so_over »

It's sad, she does't seem to have that many friends though. She hangs about with her brother a lot, and spending time with a total narcissist like Suzie says a lot about Alix's self esteem :(

meg1912
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by meg1912 »

Ombre_so_over wrote:It's sad, she does't seem to have that many friends though. She hangs about with her brother a lot, and spending time with a total narcissist like Suzie says a lot about Alix's self esteem :(
Yeah, I feel bad for her. I wonder if she'd ever take the plunge and move somewhere else? Money doesn't seem to be an issue for Alix and I get she wants to be close to her family, she's probably also hoping Darren will change his mind and want to get back together, but sometimes starting afresh somewhere else can be really good! Especially when there are such sad memories attached to a place, I really think she'd benefit from it, but I doubt she would though tbh. :roll:

halials94
Learner
Learner

Post by halials94 »

I couldn't help but take Alix's video in a very bad way... These kind of situations show how ridiculously EASY it is to be a youtuber/blogger. I went through a similar situation, lost my dad to cancer and even though it was horrible and I wanted to just disappear for a month, I couldn't do it. I still had to go to university and to my job. At the end of the day that's what the rest of the world does. They might give you a week off depending on your job I guess, but a whole month (and god nows how much longer she's going to stay off the internet)... I know her intentions were good, and she just wants to explain herself, but It just makes me see her (and her industry in general) in a completely different way. These people know nothing about what a real job is and if she did change her career like you guys are suggesting, she's going to find it imposible. You just can't take days off because you're "not feeling to great".

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

But she doesn't have your job so if she can budget to do it why not? It's not like it's hurting society to not put up bad YT videos. The only person suffering is Alix's bank account and if she's decided to do it, then it's on her.

Routine is a good thing but that is difficult to do when you're depressed or traumatized. It's easy to say "well I did it" or someone you know did it does not mean everyone is capable of it. Not only that, but believe it or not sometimes work IS detrimental to your mental health and actual doctors and mental health professionals will advise you to take more time off.

And for the last fucking time, plenty of people take looooong leaves or sabbaticals. This is a normal part of life... People need to stop comparing their random retail jobs or shitty contracts to every industry out there.

halials94
Learner
Learner

Post by halials94 »

Not a regular here, so I guess I missed all the chat about her disappearing from her job. Agree with you, its her life, her job, her money. I understand that she can do whatever she wants specially in a situation like this and considering the flexibility of her job. I suppose I would have done it too if her life was mine. It still surprises me how easy it is for them to leave, then return, then leave again... and their job/income apparently not suffering *too much*.

I've been reading this thread backwards and I agree with some posters saying she seemed "better" during vlogmas. We obviously don't know what's going through her mind, but It looks like working helped her. Maybe a distraction? Or as a way of realizing that even though everything she's gone through it's horrible and very sad, life goes on? I don't know. I still really enjoy her content and think she's a really nice girl. Would love to see her back on her feet.

blahblah123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blahblah123 »

She says she doesn’t thrive on being busy but it makes me wonder if she truly knows what it’s like to be busy. I’ve decided to stop enabling her mediocrity. She needs to strive for better and I’m not buying that it’s just the recent chain of events in her life.

She needs to quit with the whole “cool girl” persona. Just like others have said she barely scratches the surface of what is actually going on in her life. After making a video about how she doesn’t like putting video out there just to have content she puts up another update video that’s just like, here’s what’s going on but not really because I’m going to be very vague.

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

blahblah123 wrote:She says she doesn’t thrive on being busy but it makes me wonder if she truly knows what it’s like to be busy. I’ve decided to stop enabling her mediocrity. She needs to strive for better and I’m not buying that it’s just the recent chain of events in her life.

She needs to quit with the whole “cool girl” persona. Just like others have said she barely scratches the surface of what is actually going on in her life. After making a video about how she doesn’t like putting video out there just to have content she puts up another update video that’s just like, here’s what’s going on but not really because I’m going to be very vague.
If I recall correctly she used to work full time in retail AND she had her youtube channel where she put out 1-2 videos a week. Yeah, she knows what its like to be busy. Youtube might be an easy job, but I'm sure there is still a bit of work involved, not hard work mind you, but still work that takes time.

meg1912
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by meg1912 »

blahblah123 wrote:She says she doesn’t thrive on being busy but it
makes me wonder if she truly knows what it’s like to be busy. I’ve
decided to stop enabling her mediocrity. She needs to strive for
better and I’m not buying that it’s just the recent chain of events in
her life.

She needs to quit with the whole “cool girl” persona. Just like others
have said she barely scratches the surface of what is actually going
on in her life. After making a video about how she doesn’t like
putting video out there just to have content she puts up another
update video that’s just like, here’s what’s going on but not really
because I’m going to be very vague.
Exactly! She says she doesn't want to put up videos for the sake of
it, but this last update was one of the most random updates I've ever
watched. She vlogged, but decided not to do anything with the footage,
she could help someone who's going through the same as she is, but she
doesn't really do it. Like, what was even the point?
Lamour88 wrote: And for the last fucking time, plenty of people take looooong leaves
or sabbaticals. This is a normal part of life... People need to stop
comparing their random retail jobs or shitty contracts to every
industry out there.
I don't undestand why some people on here feel the need to be rude
with each other. Isn't the point here on GG to share our opinions
while being respectful of one another? The thing is Alix is doing
NEITHER, she isn't taking a long leave (which she really should if she
feels that's what's best for her), she keeps making update videos
saying she's back when she's really not back at all! Also, please
don't talk of other jobs as if they're utter shit, where exactly would
we be without people who have those "random retail jobs"? They go to
work every day not expecting a thank you (like Youtubers after a break
do) and take shit from customers while making peanuts so they can make
ends meet. All job positions deserve equal respect and honestly,
Youtubers aren't on a higher level, the $ making Youtube bubble will
burst sooner or later and unless they're Zoella and alikes, they'll go
back to square 1 fishing for "shitty contracts".

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

Lol at people being like 'but it's not a leave! she's come back and left several times!' lmfao, and??? What difference does that make in the long run? The idea is the same, she is stepping back when she needs to. Her channel is not an essential service, no one needs to cover her shifts, obviously she thinks she can live without the income for a while. So yes, she comes and goes but that's because it's the function of her "job". It's a stupid, easy, superficial job and it's really going nowhere for her. But she's hardly doing anything stupid/neglectful by stepping back this year and doing as she chooses for a bit.

Alix will be psychologically coping with what happened to her mother for the rest of her life. But it only happened this past summer. It hasn't yet been a year at this point. She didn't shut down her channel, she's just uploading when she feels like it and frankly it's weird that people can't cope with that tbh. I don't think Alix has good content, I think her style is bad, her friendships suck, etc., etc., etc. But trashing her for not being over her mother's death yet and referring to it as "events in her life" or "it sucks that her mom died but" is next level.

(Also, I never referred to retail jobs as lesser than another job. I said shitty contracts in that people keep bringing up examples from their 'jobs' that are, quite frankly, shitty. Mat leave in the US is shitty. Contracts that don't allow sufficient time for mental health recovery are shitty. Being forced back to work mere days after a parent dies-- before you are ready-- is in fact terrible. It is not an example of being a superior person because your awful workplace was so callous and inhumane and you had to go back before you were mentally ready, so therefore everyone should. There's no need to fetishize putting work/money/corporations before everything).

meg1912
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by meg1912 »

Lamour88, not sure if you're addressing me, but if you are, please don't put words in my mouth. I would never trash someone for not being over a loved one's death. I'm not an insensitive person.
Once and for all, my point was that I hate update videos in which there's barely any opdate other than the Youtuber in question will upload whenever they feel like it. I've lost count at how many Youtubers have said they'll upload on specific days and never stick to it. Why not just skip said update videos and get on with uplodading whatever video they want whenever they want?
At the end of the day, Alix will do as she pleases and she has always sporadically uploaded (at least, since I started watching her). This is a trash section, so if this is something that I dislike about Alix for years now, than I have every right to say so.

bell_bells7
Learner
Learner

Post by bell_bells7 »

I wonder would she be better focusing more on blogging for a while if she's struggling to film for YouTube? I think YouTube is such a huge commitment and it must be very hard to try force yourself to be on camera if you're dealing with what Alix is. I think she has a great eye for photography and could do well at it if she tried.

Ziggy77
Learner
Learner

Post by Ziggy77 »

Alix has definitely lost weight - her face is much slimmer.

thereshegoesagain
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thereshegoesagain »

Ziggy77 wrote:Alix has definitely lost weight - her face is much slimmer.
I noticed this too - I hope it's due to eating healthily and not due to stress :(

Zuma100
Learner
Learner

Post by Zuma100 »

Have you seen the most recent photo on Suzie’s instagram (the nude one!)? - whilst I don’t particularly like it, it does show Alix’s photography skills. She should so start a photography business/get behind the camera for bloggers/weddings etc- she could then do Youtube as a hobby.

rustandust
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by rustandust »

it's kindaaaa ridiculous how alix and suz are wearing the same bikini

kurkuma
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kurkuma »

rustandust wrote:it's kindaaaa ridiculous how alix and suz are wearing the same bikini
I must have missed that. Can someone please post a screenshot?

Return to “I Covet Thee”