Laura Vitale

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Laura Vitale

Post by doggymayday »

Kaesae wrote:Really Laura, you had to ask your nonna what deciliter means? I know that people use cups and ounces etc. in the US, but come on! It's one of the most basic things in cooking and at least you could have found your answer from google.
Lol what? she did go to school in Italy till she was 12, so she should've known this.

I sooo remember primary school and learning everything
1 deciliter is 100 ml
1 deciliter is 0.1 liter
10 ml is 0.01 liter
etc.

how is she not ashamed ??

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by doggymayday »

I'm too late to edit but I need to say one more thing, since I mentioned school.

I know Laura won't talk about what happened between her parents, but whatever it was I think their solution was extremely selfish and heartless. They took Laura out of school, didn't let her finish at least primary school in Italy, and pretty much ripped her away from all her family, her known environment, and sent her off with her dad.

If the whole family moved because of a crisis, I would understand that, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure Laura could've finished school normally and then moved, if her moving was their arrangement.

(Has she ever addressed any of this and I just missed it?)

StaceFace
Informer
Informer

Post by StaceFace »

doggymayday wrote:I'm too late to edit but I need to say one more thing, since I mentioned school.

I know Laura won't talk about what happened between her parents, but whatever it was I think their solution was extremely selfish and heartless. They took Laura out of school, didn't let her finish at least primary school in Italy, and pretty much ripped her away from all her family, her known environment, and sent her off with her dad.

If the whole family moved because of a crisis, I would understand that, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure Laura could've finished school normally and then moved, if her moving was their arrangement.

(Has she ever addressed any of this and I just missed it?)
Nope. She never addresses it. I feel bad for her. A young girl needs her mother. She was also seperated from her brother. Why split them up? How could a mother let her daughter be taken/sent away from her? You would think the son would be sent to live with the dad. Laura must have been heartbroken to leave her nonna. She cries to this day. I know people say Joe is an ass to her family, but maybe they deserve it. Maybe he harbors resentment for the way they've treated her? He's not rude to her Nonna, only her brother and Mom and was straight out mocking her stepdad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by doggymayday »

Did anyone see her shoes video?

OMG how she butchered the words, FFS, what's up with that? I think it's by far the worst video, or it at least felt like it. Some of it was hard to understand.

AM_812
Talker
Talker

Post by AM_812 »

doggymayday wrote:Did anyone see her shoes video?

OMG how she butchered the words, FFS, what's up with that? I think it's by far the worst video, or it at least felt like it. Some of it was hard to understand.
I personally didn't find it to be that bad. I think she is just so used to speaking fast in Italian and tries to do the same with English that she often gets tongue-tied more than she mispronounces words.

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by doggymayday »

Well, her mumbling was hard to understand to me, but I'm not a native speaker and so I love clear English above everything else (especially because I don't live in the States and hardly have an accent, so if I can do it, why can't she?). With her slight accent, she really should focus on speaking clearly not mushing words together.

But hey, I'm glad the video was fine to you.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

doggymayday wrote:Well, her mumbling was hard to understand to me, but I'm not a native speaker and so I love clear English above everything else (especially because I don't live in the States and hardly have an accent, so if I can do it, why can't she?). With her slight accent, she really should focus on speaking clearly not mushing words together.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't see a big deal with her not pronouncing things properly. Everyone is different. I know people who have been in Canada for 35+ years and they still a faint accent and don't say some words "properly". And then others who have been here for 10 years, speak English with a Canadian accent, and you would think that English is their mother tongue. It all depends on the person.

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by doggymayday »

It's true that every person is different, and I don't mind her accent in general when she doesn't speak like she's in a competition for saying the most words per minute. But she is always on that thin line of mumbling and I think she should be aware of it and fix it, she is filming these vids for people all over the world, so being as clear as possible is a good thing IMO. And I've never said anything about it before, but the shoe video was the one I think was really, really bad. I couldn't even finish watching it.

I remember being in Uni and I would sometimes read too fast and mumble a word or two, and my professor would always stop me and make me read everything again. It was annoying, but if you want to master a certain language you have to put the work in. There is a difference between mumbling and speaking clearly, even with a strong accent.

But with Laura I feel she doesn't want to fix it. But I'm sure they'll make her work on it for the cooking show. They probably don't use English subtitles for an english show in an english speaking country, do they?

Shneck Ache
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Shneck Ache »

HoardganizedJen wrote:They'll probably make her speak very slowly and clearly like she did in those Splenda videos. Because she isn't used to enunciating, when she does slow it down she sounds kind of... dim. Dimmer than usual at least :lol:
Yeah, and I think if she would make more of a point to enunciate in her everyday life, she'd become more natural at it and not sound like such a robot when she is asked to do it.

I don't think she realizes how annoying her voice is, and it's not just one thing. She's dealing with lower jaw that seems slightly malformed/underbite, she speaks from the back of her nose so she constantly sounds stuffed-up, she has the lazy mouth/mush mouth where she doesn't enunciate, she talks a mile a minute and strings all her words together, she talks while thinking, and to top it all off, she is loud as hell at inappropriate times.

Any one of those things would be just a cute quirk people would deal with, but add them all together and you really have to concentrate to understand what she's saying a lot of the time. If I were her and I wanted to grow a career in video, I'd certain try to control the things I could control - she can't fix her jaw or whatever is going on with her nose, but she could adopt a slower, clearer pattern of speech. That she doesn't try to improve those things just shows me how arrogant she is, and she probably thinks her way of talking is something people should love and adore about her. :roll:
I'm the poster formerly known as BigFatRoses

StaceFace
Informer
Informer

Post by StaceFace »

She has a speech impediment. It's like making fun of someone who stutters. It's just how they speak. I was in speech class for 10 years! My impediment was being unable to pronounce the R sound and I also speak too fast. As a kid, my family practically had to translate for me because people couldn't understand me. It's better, but people still have to ask me to repeat myself all the time. I guess that's why her speech doesn't bother me at all. I met all kinds of people in speech class. It sucks to be constantly told to speak slowly, pronounce your words. It's like I'm trying! My tongue muscles don't move the same was as everyone else's.

StaceFace
Informer
Informer

Post by StaceFace »

StaceFace wrote:She has a speech impediment. It's like making fun of someone who stutters. It's just how they speak. I was in speech class for 10 years! My impediment was being unable to pronounce the R sound and I also speak too fast. As a kid, my family practically had to translate for me because people couldn't understand me. It's better, but people still have to ask me to repeat myself all the time. I guess that's why her speech doesn't bother me at all. I met all kinds of people in speech class. It sucks to be constantly told to speak slowly, pronounce your words. It's like I'm trying! My tongue muscles don't move the same way as everyone else's.

ThrustingTaquito
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ThrustingTaquito »

[quote="doggymayday]

But with Laura I feel she doesn't want to fix it. But I'm sure they'll make her work on it for the cooking show. They probably don't use English subtitles for an english show in an english speaking country, do they?[/quote]

well said!!! Ya know, Joe is trying to get the fans (a.k.a.= free labor force) to do transcribing for litk.... this could be English/English!!! BTW, have you ever looked at the English cc translations for Laura's (or any) cooking show? the ones that haven't been worked over by fans understanding "Laura Speak" are hysterical!

I agree with you and Shneck and Jen -- also think that it will be interesting when Laura has to regularly take direction from network folks.
I would prob. hve the same challenges re talking fast and occasional mush mouth. Laura could slow herself down and correct in earlier vids. You know the first Pizza from scratch vid... she says "oiled bowl" twice to hear herself and articulate. That would be a tongue twister anyway... but she has shown some awareness. hmmmm...

You know, I liked her when I first started watching the show. Still root for her somehow.... maybe I see the kid torn between selfish parents and feel for her & her issues. I wish she could work them through somehow and keep the realness rather than the game-y & ego-y tendencies. It may be too late.

I see, on this board more than others, that folks care(d) -- too. Hence the frustration.

Pardon the deep musings, I think I've been traumatized by watching too much Benji and JUdy lately and the Vitales start looking better...... thanks to all of you for being here to let me rant!
PTTD
The flashbacks are real. We can help.

Post Traumatic Taquito Disorder/ Bush Sighting Reflux

AM_812
Talker
Talker

Post by AM_812 »

peachesnoranges wrote:
doggymayday wrote:Well, her mumbling was hard to understand to me, but I'm not a native speaker and so I love clear English above everything else (especially because I don't live in the States and hardly have an accent, so if I can do it, why can't she?). With her slight accent, she really should focus on speaking clearly not mushing words together.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't see a big deal with her not pronouncing things properly. Everyone is different. I know people who have been in Canada for 35+ years and they still a faint accent and don't say some words "properly". And then others who have been here for 10 years, speak English with a Canadian accent, and you would think that English is their mother tongue. It all depends on the person.
Agreed. I am a native English speaker, born and raised in the United States. However, I speak two other languages at home and they were the first ones I had learned until I enrolled in school (my parents didn't know English at the time). Although I've spoken the languages at home and with family friends on a daily basis for 20+ years, I still find myself getting tongue tied and messing up some words even though I know how to properly pronounce them. I guess this is why I can empathize with Laura. I'm not a huge Laura Vitale fan by any means, I just began watching her videos aside from her cooking ones. I think if it bothered people so much, she wouldn't have the huge following that she does now.

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

Why does she always do country-specific recipes and then says she's never been to the country but that's how she does it? Couldn't she just say that she found a recipe she likes and sticks to it? I mean there's no way that you'd learn how to make something typical from another country if no one taught you anyway, so why does she always make it seem like she tried until she came up with her own recipe?
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

Indygrl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Indygrl »

I want to scream every time she says "sure" because she pronounces it "shore". Someone really needs to tell her the proper way of pronouncing it.

Also, I hate the way she says most words starting with a "b" because it's as though her upper lip is vibrating the B sound or she has no control over her upper lip. Either way, the vibrating b annoys the hell outta me. :x

blondeambition
Talker
Talker

Post by blondeambition »

Indygrl wrote:I want to scream every time she says "sure" because she pronounces it "shore". Someone really needs to tell her the proper way of pronouncing it.

Also, I hate the way she says most words starting with a "b" because it's as though her upper lip is vibrating the B sound or she has no control over her upper lip. Either way, the vibrating b annoys the hell outta me. :x
YES! On her beauty vids it always bothers me when she says bbbbbbbronzer LOL

Indygrl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Indygrl »

blondeambition wrote:
Indygrl wrote:I want to scream every time she says "sure" because she pronounces it "shore". Someone really needs to tell her the proper way of pronouncing it.

YES! On her beauty vids it always bothers me when she says bbbbbbbronzer LOL
Exactly! I can't watch her beauty or vlog channels because they make me hate her, and I really want to still enjoy her cooking channel, but the way she pronounces certain words like bbbbbbbronzer and "shore" (instead of sure) makes me cringe!

balletslippers
Informer
Informer

Post by balletslippers »

I just started watching Laura's cooking videos and I really hate the beginning of her videos. The way she says "Hiiiiii gaiseeee. I'm Laura Vitaleeee..." really makes me cringe. It sounds like she's trying to smoosh all her words together and sounds like jibber jabber. :?

nooname
Debater
Debater

Post by nooname »

I don't think she has a speech impediment. To me she has a case of underhung, that is when the lower jaw tends to project beyond the upper lip/jaw. And to be honest, these past year the "problem" seems to have gotten more visible compared to her very first videos. It's absolutely natural but it should be corrected as with time this bad alignment can lead to other health problems such as migraines and even back pain.

Fat Shark
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fat Shark »

I can't believe she's getting a show already. I thought she would turn up on Food Network Star or Chopped first.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Return to “Laura Vitale”