LUSH is overrated?

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: LUSH is overrated?

Post by handmadedolly »

canas2 wrote:I've tried everything they have told me to for acne and excluding the sprays (tea tree etc.) They all make it so much worse! I recently tried the mint mask (magnaminty) and my skin has never been more broken out.
The problem with it is that the sale assistants never explain how it works properly. It works just fine if it's breaking you out at first, it's purging the skin (that's exactly what it is meant to do) so you're noticing more breakouts - it's a case of "it has to get worse before it gets better", sadly, which is of course not for everyone.

From memory, acne targeted products don't contain comodogenic oils like coconut, jojoba and such.

Dolce115
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dolce115 »

i think it was overrated like 2 years ago, maybe because in England there are so many Lush stores. But it is concidered cheaper than other skincare places like space nk or kiehls or whatever.
Dolce115 :love2:

Dolce115
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Dolce115 »

Well its cheaper than going into Selfridges, Harrods, Space NK to buy skincare brands
Dolce115 :love2:

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

StrawberryMilkshake wrote:
Dolce115 wrote:i think it was overrated like 2 years ago, maybe because in England there are so many Lush stores. But it is concidered cheaper than other skincare places like space nk or kiehls or whatever.
Lush is cheap??!!! :o
Here most of the stuff seems reasonably priced for me when you compare it for what you can get elsewhere for the same amount of money. It's definitely midrange but not all of it is ridiculously priced apart from the moisturisers really. A shampoo bar here is £5.95 and you can get midrange drugstore shampoo brands like OGX cost £6.99.

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

yteri wrote:
StrawberryMilkshake wrote:
Dolce115 wrote:i think it was overrated like 2 years ago, maybe because in England there are so many Lush stores. But it is concidered cheaper than other skincare places like space nk or kiehls or whatever.
Lush is cheap??!!! :o
A shampoo bar here is £5.95 and you can get midrange drugstore shampoo brands like OGX cost £6.99.
And that shampoo bar lasts up to 80 washes which is equal to 3 bottles of 250ml liquid shampoo at Lush. Pretty neat.

I agree their stuff isn't cheap but it's a lot cheaper than what some drugstore brands cost here in Australia (most drugstore brands cost 60% more than in the US). It was great buying their products when I was working there because we got 50% off. I still buy the products though, because I found ones that are my "ride or die" and I don't mind paying extra knowing how the company works.

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

You get what you pay for I think. Yeah it's not exactly "cheap" but if you wanted cheap products you'll be paying for factory made, un-fresh products that are likely tested on animals. It costs more because they have to buy all of these fresh ingredients rather than cheap chemicals to produce subpar effects.

kylizzle
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kylizzle »

I like the bath bombs/melts/bubble bars as a treat because they smell nice. Lol. I try to buy the ones that actually have stuff that moisturises the skin in, some are purely smelly and colourful. E.G. Space girl

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

StrawberryMilkshake wrote:but the thing is that they still contain parabens, mineral oil, all the ingredients that I want to avoid. I just can't
The parabens they use are natural, they occur naturally in the products (many of the products are self-perserving) and they can be found in the vegetables and fruit you store in your fridge - they are as natural as natural gets. Lush does not use any mineral oil in their products.

Parabens are also necessary in the products because of their fresh nature, otherwise you will get products with mold and bacteria in them. Not cool.
Last edited by handmadedolly on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RebeccaDoppelmeyer
Debater
Debater

Post by RebeccaDoppelmeyer »

For the person defending LUSH and SLS: Most of their liquid shampoo's constains Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (or sometimes both) . Sodium laureth sulfate is an irritant. they also contains things like Alpha Isomethyl Ionone and Hexyl cinnamal which are allergens. They also contain possible endocrine disruptors.

For the person who said Lush is made in the country it's sold in: That's not true! I buy mine in Europe and it's still made in England. Also, the expiration date on a cleanser I bought was only about two week after I bought it :(

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

RebeccaDoppelmeyer wrote:For the person defending LUSH and SLS: Most of their liquid shampoo's constains Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (or sometimes both) . Sodium laureth sulfate is an irritant. they also contains things like Alpha Isomethyl Ionone and Hexyl cinnamal which are allergens. They also contain possible endocrine disruptors.

For the person who said Lush is made in the country it's sold in: That's not true! I buy mine in Europe and it's still made in England. Also, the expiration date on a cleanser I bought was only about two week after I bought it :(
Didn't I say their liquid shamoo contains SLS? I'm sure I did. SLS can be irritating to some people who already have a sensitivity to it. I'm allergic to some of the ingredients in their products and have had customers break out in store when we tried products on them because they did not disclose their allergies to us (we always asked if they had any). If a someone doesn't want a product that contains SLS, there are plenty to offer - regardless, Lush stands behind its use of SLS. The bottom line is, anything can be an allergen today. I make note to avoid products that contain coconut because I'm sensitive to it, but won't blame it on the company for using it.

I also stand by the fact that Lush manufactures in the county it sells the products in, I mentioned Japan and Australia and of course the US and UAE do too. There's no reason for them to manufacture the products for all of Europe outside of the UK when they can deliver it to counties on the same continent, it will just be too costly for them to open a factory in every country in Europe when it's so close to the UK. For a while the factory in Sydney was shut down due to relocation and they sent stuff from the UK and Japan because of it, so for a while you could buy products from abroad here, but it made sense to do so.

I hope you went in store and had your cleanser replaced. Lush has a "no question asked" return policy and their customer service is phenomenal. Errors can happen, heck, I've sold a face mask once that would expire two days after it was sold. The person came back and we replaced it immediately.

RebeccaDoppelmeyer
Debater
Debater

Post by RebeccaDoppelmeyer »

handmadedolly wrote:
RebeccaDoppelmeyer wrote:For the person defending LUSH and SLS: Most of their liquid shampoo's constains Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (or sometimes both) . Sodium laureth sulfate is an irritant. they also contains things like Alpha Isomethyl Ionone and Hexyl cinnamal which are allergens. They also contain possible endocrine disruptors.

Didn't I say their liquid shamoo contains SLS? I'm sure I did. SLS can be irritating to some people who already have a sensitivity to it. I'm allergic to some of the ingredients in their products and have had customers break out in store when we tried products on them because they did not disclose their allergies to us (we always asked if they had any). If a someone doesn't want a product that contains SLS, there are plenty to offer - regardless, Lush stands behind its use of SLS.

I also stand by the fact that Lush manufactures in the county it sells the products in, I mentioned Japan and Australia and of course the US and UAE do too. There's no reason for them to manufacture the products for all of Europe outside of the UK when they can deliver it to counties on the same continent, it will just be too costly for them to open a factory in every country in Europe when it's so close to the UK. For a while the factory in Sydney was shut down due to relocation and they sent stuff from the UK and Japan because of it, so for a while you could buy products from abroad here, but it made sense to do so.
I don't have a problem with Lush usin SLS, parabens etc. Many other company's do it too. However, I have a problem with them advertsing as "organic and natural" when they use known allergens etc.

Not to nitpick, but you're saying that you stand by that Lush manufactures in the county it sells the products in but then says that it makes sense that they only produce for Europe in England. A bit of a contradiction, eh?

And on another note: why are they not a part of the Leaping Bunny?

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

They use organic ingredients and the SLS and parabens in their products are derived from coconut and fruit - I don't see a contradiction there.

What I should have said is "area", but when I was typing that statement I wasn't referring to the fact that they manufacture in the UK and import into Europe. It still means they manufacture locally, because they do - Australia, Japan, UAE, US and other countries in which Lush is sold in, manufacture their Lush products locally. Nit-picking at my statement is alright, but it doesn't mean the company is doing anything wrong.

Lime Crime is on Leaping Bunny and they aren't 100% vegan as they claim nor are all their ingredients cruelty free. I don't take Leaping Bunny seriously for that.

idonteven
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by idonteven »

Off topic..but i know on the last page there was a mention of a lush product used to treat eczema? what is it?

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

idonteven wrote:Off topic..but i know on the last page there was a mention of a lush product used to treat eczema? what is it?
Dream Wash and Dream Cream help keep eczema at bay. They were created because the creator's son had eczema and it's pretty much a cult product now.
StrawberryMilkshake wrote:But the implications is basically saying that Lush is lying about being natural and I'm not sure how "SLS" and "parabens" are derived from fruits
From Lush's website:
Sulphates became widely used in the 1930s and they started the development of the modern shampoo industry. They are obtained by the catalytic reduction of the fatty acids in coconut oil.

It also states:
We have recently begun to replace sodium lauryl sulphate with a milder surfactant, sodium coco-sulphate. This new material is kinder to the scalp, but still cleans the hair effectively.
Source

The parabens used in Lush's product occur naturally in them (in self-perserving products), fruits and vegetables produce parabens. When I was working at Lush, I asked about the issue and I was told there aren't any syntehtic parabens used in the products and they are all derived directly from nature, i.e. fruits and veggies. If you're scared of it (even though only people with known sensitivity to it should avoid it) because of the "cancer" implications, it is proven there is no link between the two and many cancer foundations have refuted the claim.

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

I find their bathbombs reasonably priced to other indie brands that sell bath bombs. I even find Lush is cheaper too because no shipping from said brand.
I find their skin care items to be a bit expensive. Although they are natural, I'm apprehensive to use them because my skin is so sensitive. Their Dark Angel scrub broke me out so bad, and I bought it for my break outs wtf?!

And I find the shopping experience to be overrated. I'm glad that the employees are knowledgable but I HATE how they won't leave you alone. I didn't eve walk into a Lush store once because I made eye contact with an employee before even getting to the door.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

I have been using Lush products for a long time now. I used to use Dark Angels, but I switched to Coalface because it wasn't as messy. I also use Mask of Magnaminty, Enchanted Eye Cream, and sometimes Skin Drink. I've also used Beautiful (not for my face obviously) in the past. My sister uses their Herbalism, bath bombs, Fresh Farmacy, and Eau Roma Water. Both of us haven't had bad reactions to their products and can both say that their products actually helped us have better looking skin. I will say, though, that their prices are sometimes steep, depending on the product. I can justify buying what I do from them because of how long it takes me to use them up.

Lush is really a hit or miss with people, as are their products. If one product of theirs doesn't work, there's probably something else there that might. I know there's a few things beyond Dark Angels that have worked for people with oily/combo skin, such as myself.

Also, I hate how bombarded I get when I enter the store. What I have done to get them to stop doing that as much to me at my store is to act knowledgeable about the products lol.

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

My niece bought me the snow angel from lush and looking at it, I can chop it up into at least 5 or 6 pieces ....... it works out cheaper then the laura mercier bath stuff that I also love (but at £32 for a jar - it's a tad expensive - I use my birchbox points to stash up on it!)x
Stay home, stay safe & keep healthy <3

nieka
Learner
Learner

Post by nieka »

I'm sorry if I'm a little bit late for the party, but you guys mentioned that Lush helps with acne? Which products do you mean? Thanks :tu:

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

nieka wrote:I'm sorry if I'm a little bit late for the party, but you guys mentioned that Lush helps with acne? Which products do you mean? Thanks :tu:
Cleansers:
Herbalism
Dark Angles
Coalface
Mask of Magnaminty (cleanser/mask)

Treatments:
Grease Lightning

Toners:
Tea Tree Water
Tea Tree Toner

Moisturisers:
Vanishing Cream
Enzymion

Face Masks:
Cupcake

dollhouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dollhouse »

Respecting other posters means respecting their opinions, too. Don't act like a jerk or you'll earn yourself a formal warning

Return to “Lush”