Dan & Phil Part 51: Butt Up, Eyes Closed

ggranger
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 51: Butt Up, Eyes Closed

Post by ggranger »

Definitely for me as a non-english speaker, american english is the default one subconsciously. I consume a lot of UK content, have been and am close to the UK but it's just that you grow up around pretty much 100% american stuff.
Favourite accents besides the british ones are definitely from South Africa, followed by Australia.

About the way Dan gained his subscribership, I know it's an unpopular opinion here but I definitely think that's actually the other way around.
Dan's content has always been simply better for me. I guess most casual teenage and adult fans would subscribe only to Dan if they weren't so close together.

Phil was obviously a brilliant youtuber back in the day and still is a great entertainer for his target audience but today he would hold little relevance next to what 12-year old like today on Youtube. He's got the advantage of arriving early and didn't fade with age because of what he has with Dan.

What they created is a lot bigger than Phil's channel and holds most of the subscribers on it's own. And the will they won't they or are they aren't they is a big part of it.

I think DINOF on it's very best is some of the best content on Youtube for teenagers and young adults to relate to, whether in 2012 or in 2015. Phil's stuff is amazing and very creative for the early days but it's just not something that I see the 10-14 target watching right now.

Pistachiyo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Pistachiyo »

My biggest fear is if they pull a shane dawson,joey graceffa, marcus butler or pointlessblog where all they do is challenge videos or videos of them trying things, completely talentless, boring, and vain.

daichii
Informer
Informer

Post by daichii »

^They would do that only if they stopped doing liveshows. There's no way they could justify challenges in a weekly basis after all the shade they've thrown at youtubers that do them.

Dan's photo with the dog is so cute :)
:love2: Image :love2:

phanqueen
Learner
Learner

Post by phanqueen »

As someone from England (50 miles away from where Dan grew up, and a stepdad from 'The North'), neither of their accents drew me in simply because I was used to them. I found Phil first back in 2008 and his quirkiness/eccentricity was what made me binge-watch all his videos. And, naturally, I found Dan through phil is not on fire. I subscribed to Dan because he was attractive but stayed for his personality and relatability. As I've gotten older, and Dan has gotten older, I've found him more and more attractive.

It's extremely interesting to hear everyone else's opinions about their accents. I never thought the fact that they're British = immediately sexy. I guess it's because they seem normal to me.

Colin is so adorable.

akui
Informer
Informer

Post by akui »

Let's just say Dan's success is not one factors but two.

Did he smartly utilize his look and his friendship with Phil to get an eazy start on youtube? Yes.

Did he produce a lot of good content so that his channel continued to grown bigger abd bigger? Also yes.

And other factors like uk youtuber trends and stuff. Btw does anyone know where i can get a statistics of Dan and Phil's channel, all i can find is on socialblade are 2015.

Watching Phil in early years doing all kinds of interesting, creative stuff and compare to him now. I just don't understand.

Is he being too content with his current status and doesn't want to make an effort? Is he trying to catering to a wider audiences by acting less weird and more approachable? Is he just losing his edge because he is getting older? Or is Dan actually ruining him and sucking his life dry? #conspiracy

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

chloek88
Learner
Learner

Post by chloek88 »

illegal_mind wrote: as much as people find it annoying, and as much as many like to deny it, the fact is, their accents and their looks are what caught our attention and why we decided to watch them in the first place. because we didn't know anything about their personalities or content, we were just seeing pretty boys with british accents. that made a lot of us more inclined to go through more of their content and keep watching them.
i'm shallow and superficial, so maybe it's just me, but what a vlogger looks and sounds like will affect my decision on whether i keep watching or not, and only then will content come into the decision. if dan hadn't lost his looks, and his voice hadn't start to sound weird, maybe i would've put up with the crappy content
funny how you went from saying this was just your opinion to making the sweeping generalization that their looks and accents are what caught "our" attention and that's why "we" decided to watch them, and then you circled back to saying "maybe it's just me."

I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you, though. Before ever watching them, i'd seen dan and phil all over youtube and tumblr. i knew how into them people were, how strongly they were shipped, and how beloved they were. at face value, i couldn't see the appeal at all. i thought they looked like gangly, emo, juvenile dorks, i thought their shippers were surely delusional, and i had plenty of other british youtubers to fulfill any accent quota.
one night, on a whim, i watched a few of zoe and alfie's sims videos (lol. spoiler: they're extremely boring), and saw dan and phil's 1st sim vid in the sidebar. when i saw how many views it had, i was like 'eh, what the heck, i'll give it a try.' ...and then i stayed up until about 4 AM multiple nights in a row, watching their sims series, then their other gaming vids, then their individual content. i wasn't drawn in because i was attracted to them at all. in fact, i started watching in spite of the fact that i didn't find them all that attractive. i was hooked because i thought they were hilarious in a unique way. they didn't have the same loud gaming humour i was used to seeing on youtube, and i loved the fond, teasing dynamic they had with one another. i now think they're very attractive, but i know that largely stems from my appreciating their personalities.

you say we start watching youtubers without knowing anything about their content or personalities, but that's exactly what a youtube video is. it's a bite-sized example of a creator's content and personality. people likely click on d&p's videos for the first time because of the video's title, description, because they've heard about them and are curious, were linked to one of their vids, or sure, they saw the thumbnail and were intrigued. i don't think d&p are all that conventionally attractive though, there are certainly more attractive male british youtubers. so, i def don't think that's where most of their viewership initially comes from.

also, for what it's worth, i don't think dan's lost his looks whatsoever, but rather has just grown into a man, whereas for his first 2-3 years on youtube he was very much still a boy.

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater

Post by spaceguitarr »

komaeda wrote:
spaceguitarr wrote:
danphil333 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
colin looks so cute..
who is the other one??
[tweet][/tweet]
how is this the same person? did he get lessons from tanya burr and gabby
Ur such a dick, wow.
How are they a dick, if anything it was a backhanded compliment about how much better he can look with makeup on, which is true of anybody
Ok maybe i should have not reacted like that. I was just reacting to the general pattern of this poster bashing Dan unprecedentedly. He posts a cute picture with his dog? They criticize how he looks in that picture. I guess that can be done sometimes, but when a poster consistently (in every post) expresses strong dislike for Dan (w/o a good basis, unconstructive, based on things that he can't change about himself), i feel like calling them a dick.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

I don't understand the attraction to British accent/slang; everywhere you go in UK the accent/slang changes so I wonder the viewers that are attracted to it are talking about Queen/Oxford English or the various accent all over UK. I personally would prefer to watch those that I can understand/comprehend regardless the accent; my preference for British youtubers is more to the fact I enjoy listening to those who speaks good English without too much urban/street lingo.
Credit:amazingfiru

meowlizzz
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by meowlizzz »

sweetmm wrote:I don't understand the attraction to British accent/slang; everywhere you go in UK the accent/slang changes so I wonder the viewers that are attracted to it are talking about Queen/Oxford English or the various accent all over UK. I personally would prefer to watch those that I can understand/comprehend regardless the accent; my preference for British youtubers is more to the fact I enjoy listening to those who speaks good English without too much urban/street lingo.
I think they just mean that British accents (foreign to them) in general are attractive. Someone can be attracted to more than one, like both English and Scottish accents. When you're not used to accents, you can't really tell the difference in dialect. For example, my mom grew up in Mexico and only speaks Spanish. When she hears people speak in English here in the US, she can't tell what part of the country they're from. To me it's easy, but when an Italian speaks English, I can detect their accent but if they speak Spanish, I can't detect it. It's very weird!

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

meowlizzz wrote:I think they just mean that British accents (foreign to them) in general are attractive. Someone can be attracted to more than one, like both English and Scottish accents.
That's the thing in Britain every hour you travel its a different county with a different accent; so I really wonder if viewers are attracted to all the accents even Cockney, Scouse as examples or just Queen English (posh).

haru
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by haru »

sweetmm wrote:
meowlizzz wrote:I think they just mean that British accents (foreign to them) in general are attractive. Someone can be attracted to more than one, like both English and Scottish accents.
That's the thing in Britain every hour you travel its a different county with a different accent; so I really wonder if viewers are attracted to all the accents even Cockney, Scouse as examples or just Queen English (posh).
at least where i'm from, when people say 'british accent' they mean posh and in general they think it sounds fancy (but that depends on who you're asking, i'm pretty sure some teens would rate is as 'sexy')

akui
Informer
Informer

Post by akui »

haru wrote:
sweetmm wrote:
at least where i'm from, when people say 'british accent' they mean posh and in general they think it sounds fancy (but that depends on who you're asking, i'm pretty sure some teens would rate is as 'sexy')
It's funny who people want equality and freedom, yet same time fantasies and romantize monarchy and upper class.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

meowlizzz
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by meowlizzz »

Honestly though, I sometimes also wonder if by British they mean English, and if they even know what they're saying.

Offtopic: It reminds me of that skit with David Tennant and Catherine Tate. "Are you English, sir?" "No, I'm Scottish." "So you ain't English, then." "No, I'm British." "So you ain't English, then." Leaving this here for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: And brownie points to anyone who has already seen it :tu:

akui
Informer
Informer

Post by akui »

meowlizzz wrote:Honestly though, I sometimes also wonder if by British they mean English, and if they even know what they're saying.

Offtopic: It reminds me of that skit with David Tennant and Catherine Tate. "Are you English, sir?" "No, I'm Scottish." "So you ain't English, then." "No, I'm British." "So you ain't English, then." Leaving this here for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: And brownie points to anyone who has already seen it :tu:
By british they mean english, by british accent they mean queen english, by british man they mean colin firth. Basically, that's how people perceive Britain, at least in my country.

blueapple_x
Informer
Informer

Post by blueapple_x »

akui wrote:
meowlizzz wrote:Honestly though, I sometimes also wonder if by British they mean English, and if they even know what they're saying.
By british they mean english, by british accent they mean queen english, by british man they mean colin firth. Basically, that's how people perceive Britain, at least in my country.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes lol. Whatever people are exposed to the most is usually how they perceive the whole group if they don't know any better/aren't familiar with the different regions in the country. Same thing when people say an "American accent"....they usually mean the Hollywood/California accent. Which sounds nothing like the Southern accent, Midwest, Boston accent, etc.

I'm sure lots of people here (hopefully anyway) know what they're talking about but say "American accent" and "British accent" or even "English accent" as a default because that's what everyone says even though it's technically incorrect.

danphil333
Debater
Debater

Post by danphil333 »

spaceguitarr wrote:
komaeda wrote:
spaceguitarr wrote: Ur such a dick, wow.
How are they a dick, if anything it was a backhanded compliment about how much better he can look with makeup on, which is true of anybody
Ok maybe i should have not reacted like that. I was just reacting to the general pattern of this poster bashing Dan unprecedentedly. He posts a cute picture with his dog? They criticize how he looks in that picture. I guess that can be done sometimes, but when a poster consistently (in every post) expresses strong dislike for Dan (w/o a good basis, unconstructive, based on things that he can't change about himself), i feel like calling them a dick.
Ok i will stop "bashing" him and criticizing how he looks. I am not a shallow person! Next time Dan posts a selfie i will come here fangirling over his curly hair and freaking out about his hands or his not existent stubble. :roll:
I actually didnt think about makeup, my comment was about the fact that dan looks really different in some photos. He knows how to work his angles and lighting, like someone else said we all do the same. After all, we see only one side of his face most of the time.
I didnt even comment on his appearence. I actually like the "Colin photo" more. He might not look as good(in my opinion) but he is cuter and looks more real which i prefer.
Call me a dick as much as you like i dont mind. <3
trashqueen wrote: on that note, and i know i'm probably gonna anger some by saying this, does anyone else ever think about how dan had a really 'easy' start for his youtube career? between his looks* (i don't think anyone can argue that dan was hot according to 2009 standards), and him fucking befriending the right guy who got him a considerable amount of subscribers he really didn't have to struggle at all to find an audience

*and the fact that he was aware that he was good looking and was totally willing to take advantage of that
I couldn't agree more. I always thought that building a sub base from scratch was the most importand/difficult thing about youtubers.I personally have subcribe to yt channels just because they have many subs and wanted to see what the big deal was about. When you are already big its easier to grow bigger. If i remember correctly someone posted his channel numbers from back in the day and it was really telling. He did take advantage of his looks and his connection with Phil and thats probably the reason why he is so self consious about his success and he is so desperate for respect and evaluation. I dont think he would be still doing youtube if he had to struggle like others did.
Another unpopular opinion i have is that his content was never that special, riveting or unique. Many youtubers did the same relatable videos ,what made his videos better was his execution. Some of them became more succesfull and "profesional" than him and others turned to daily vlogs and challenges because it was easier. He stayed stagnant and now he is getting worst (when he does normal dinof content, twice a year).

That being said, phil wouldnt have the numbers he has now if it wasnt for dans later popularity. He would probably be succesfull in a much smaller scale, more like PJ for example. And maybe he would be more "respected" as a person and a creator if he hadnt the whole "hot british boys" "phan speculation" goin on. Many people believe that phils content changed when dan show up but i disagree. I think he just grew up as a person and desided what he wants to do with his channel. I can see the same amazingphil content of today without dan in the picture. Just more friends, different names and less views. Maybe more interesting personal stories if he could share them with the world.
but we can never know what would happen if ..... blah blah
ps: look what i did.. i bashed Dan again and before someone says it, YES i am biased. Thats my personal opinions on things, not facts or scientifically proven :)
Image Time to Clark Kent it up

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Lari
True Gossiper
True Gossiper