Have you ever quit a job after 1 day?

xokisstherain
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Have you ever quit a job after 1 day?

Post by xokisstherain »

I started a new job yesterday working in a retirement home. I liked the clients & employees. But couldn't take the physical aspect of the job.. I have horrible feet & get excruciating pain after walking for more then 2 hours. This job is very demanding & I was pretty much on my feet for 8 hours. I lost count of how many times I chocked back tears because I was in so much pain. I actually had to excuse myself from training at one point to sit down because I was literally about to collapse. Just thinking about doing that all over again tonight makes me want to cry. But I feel like a total failure& I feel like everyone is going to be mad at me(husband etc..) But on the other hand I know I can't do it & need to find a job that doesn't have me on my feet for so long. Anyone been through something similar? :(
:love2: #savegreyson

horrorwriter
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Re: Have you ever quit a job after 1 day?

Post by horrorwriter »

xokisstherain wrote:I started a new job yesterday working in a retirement home. I liked the clients & employees. But couldn't take the physical aspect of the job.. I have horrible feet & get excruciating pain after walking for more then 2 hours. This job is very demanding & I was pretty much on my feet for 8 hours. I lost count of how many times I chocked back tears because I was in so much pain. I actually had to excuse myself from training at one point to sit down because I was literally about to collapse. Just thinking about doing that all over again tonight makes me want to cry. But I feel like a total failure& I feel like everyone is going to be mad at me(husband etc..) But on the other hand I know I can't do it & need to find a job that doesn't have me on my feet for so long. Anyone been through something similar? :(
Try finding a job at a customer service call center, that way you are sitting. I quit my first job after a few days of working there because the boss told me to come in everyday to see if I had work, and only did training once a week. Before he lost my application twice,my background check, didn't tell me till a month after my interview that I had the job. Then when I worked there he got mad for me coming in on the day I was told to start, mad because I didn't know what to do on my second day of training, would not tell me the hours i'd work for training then when I was put on the schedule I got sent home 2 hours into my shifts.

restingbitchface
Learner
Learner

Post by restingbitchface »

If you're not used to standing at work then it takes some getting used to, and a good pair of shoes. If you want to stick with it then you will find it easier after a month or two. Standing for 8+ hours will never be exactly comfortable but you won't want to cry.

I quit a job before my first shift was over once. This was just a few weeks ago, actually. I've never done anything like that before and I felt a little guilty. It was just an every other weekend part time job and I was 2 hours before the end of my shift. They told me to go on break but I just grabbed my stuff and told them it wasn't working. Mostly due to horrific management and training. It was easy for me to do though since it wasn't my full time job. So maybe stick with it and and try to quickly find a job that doesn't require so much physical activity.

FairyPrincess
Learner
Learner

Post by FairyPrincess »

Yes! The job I applied for was not the job I was given. The add itself was very vague, but in my interview I was told to bring in samples of my graphic design skill. It was for a small chain of boutique fashion, very popular with teen girls in my state. About a month after the interview, I received a call and was asked to come in the next day for my first day of work. It was all very sudden and I was surprised to find that I would be working from one of the retail stores.
When I got there I was taken into the back store room (which was very small) and told I would be uploading photos of the garments they were selling onto their website with descriptions on the items (including materials, cut, zippers, etc). I asked if I would be editing any of the photos prior to uploading them (because I assumed I was a graphic designer, or something like that). She said nope, just upload the photos. She gave me no descriptions of the items, just the pictures and told me to describe them and make up nice names for the items.
The day goes on, and the store workers come into the back room to steam the garments before selling them. Now the tiny room was filled with hot steam and I was given nothing but a backless stool to sit on and it was excruciating. The whole day was terrible and I considered walking out several times. There was no reason I couldn't be doing this stuff at home.
When I eventually did finish and get home, the boss called me and told me to make an add for an upcoming sale for the Facebook page. She didn't really give me any direction. Nor did she give me their logo, signature font or money to pay for the stock images to use in the background. She had no idea I needed any of that stuff. After a few hours of me sending her countless ads, she told me I wasn't getting it and needed to try harder. I told her I didn't think it would work out and that I wouldn't work for them anymore. I never got paid.
The hardest part about deciding to quit was how my family were going to react. I had been searching for a job for so long and finally felt proud for getting one. My family pretty much witnessed by breakdown trying to create the ridiculous add, and after I explained what I had been through the previous day, they understood why I wanted to quit.
I found that it really helped to mention that you want to find a job that you feel comfortable and happy at. You only have one life, and if possible you should try not to spend nine hours a day, five days a week (at least) at a job you hate. Your family should hopefully empathize with that, or at least understand it.
Good luck with finding another job if you do decide to quit. If you do decide to stay, I hope it gets a lot easier for you (which it likely will!). Either way, I hope you find happiness with whatever job you decide to stay at!

pink-panther
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pink-panther »

I quit my first job after only 3 days for the same reasons as you. It was 4 years ago, I was only 16 so I was in high school and decided to work a full time job where I had to be on my feet the entire time. On the first day I thought it was exhausting just because it was the first day, on the second day I saw I couldn't handle it but I tried a third day, then on the third day I went home and cried and didn't show up for the 4th day lol

Only YOU know if you can handle it, if it's emotionally and/or physically draining you then you shouldn't feel guilty about quitting. I'm sure your family will understand and you're not a total failure for quitting a job that's not good for you.
Sorry about any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

xxnjlove
Informer
Informer

Post by xxnjlove »

unless you have a disability that prevents you from being on your feet all day, then you literally will feel pain if your body isnt used to it. I know when i started Dental assisting two years ago my bicep area hurt from putting pressure on the chair while assisting . I think i was sore for an entire week and for the first couple months i had that pain. But its been two years and my body is now used to it. You cant just quit because its exhausting. lol thats irresponsible. i mean unless you dont give a shit about working.

xokisstherain
Informer
Informer

Post by xokisstherain »

xxnjlove wrote: You cant just quit because its exhausting. lol thats irresponsible. i mean unless you dont give a shit about working.
Except its not exhausting..? :roll: I'm tired. This is a problem I've been having for a while & I need to see a doctor. Its not some pain I can just " get used to"
pink-panther wrote:
Only YOU know if you can handle it, if it's emotionally and/or physically draining you then you shouldn't feel guilty about quitting. I'm sure your family will understand and you're not a total failure for quitting a job that's not good for you.
Thank you. I hope they understand!
:love2: #savegreyson

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

xokisstherain wrote:
xxnjlove wrote: You cant just quit because its exhausting. lol thats irresponsible. i mean unless you dont give a shit about working.
Except its not exhausting..? :roll: I'm tired. This is a problem I've been having for a while & I need to see a doctor. Its not some pain I can just " get used to"
pink-panther wrote:
Thank you. I hope they understand!
Care Assistants in retirement homes are used as dogsbodies to lift patients and even if a person is light you can still injury your back. It is not worth risking it and for such bad pay. Yes, the elderly can be very interesting and fun to work with but the heavy lifting side is not worth doing.

There is no shame in quitting. Your health comes first. if you can stick it out until you start a new job then that's great as you won't lose any money but if you are really dreading it and it upsets you then just hand in your notice. :love2:

florenceenvirons
Lurker
Lurker

Post by florenceenvirons »

I got VERY close to quitting a job on the first day. It was part of a university scholarship that I got to do work experience with the company giving me the money. I walked in and instantly wanted to cry. Not to get into detail, but it was a very intense factory job that ended up giving me an RSI in one wrist and onset carpal tunnel in my other hand. I had no choice but to stay on as I needed to save money for university, it was too late to get a new job and I didn't want to appear ungrateful to the company. My WHOLE time there (three months) was marked with ridiculous pain from standing for so long, the long hours and the injuries in my wrist, plus a pretty horrible depression that started due to the long hours and bullying boss etc that's still here. I don't mean to be like "woe is me woe is me i had a horrible job", but if you found the first day that bad an experience I'd say go with your gut. I kept telling myself it would get better but it didn't and I regret it very much. Good luck :love2:

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I almost have, before. I started a new job, went in for orientation and had such a bad experience that I cried after I left for the day and asked myself "What am I getting myself into?" The manager was really mean and made me feel like shit (which she would continue to do). I told myself to hang on and that it would get better.

Long story short, it only got worse and I think I lasted about 7 weeks before I left but that was just on paperwork. In work time, I think I only worked about 3 weeks worth of shifts. I didn't even give notice when I quit, I just stopped showing up--hated the job that much

Return to “Work”