Has thanked: 0

Re: Monica & Shelby Church

Post by treelee »

glitterandgrit wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:10 pm
Anditgoesonn wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Rosie34567 wrote:Lmao how Monica said (in the 50 year old date vid):

"Online courses are really douchey, like they're always a get rich quick scheme."

I mean, fair enough (many are scams tbh) BUT...doesn't she see the irony of that statement? Isn't her whole youtube channel based around uploading random vids filmed in her bedroom on the internet to get money quick? Lol, at least with online courses you have the potential to actually learn something, whereas she just reviewed a $500 hair straightener...so...take a look in the mirror Monica :rofl: :roll:
I don’t think that’s what she meant. Her videos are really good and I really like watching them. I think she was pinpointing more at the videos that make statements like “do you wanna get rich like me? This is what I did! You can become rich from your room blah blah”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which is basically Shelby’s framework these days...
Monica and Shelby haven't really sold anything though, and while the jobs may not be lucrative careers for most, they are true gig economy jobs or equivalent to trying to make it on YT. The airbnb one rubbed me wrong because it's against most rental/hoa/city rules and it's a huge contributing factor to skyrocketing rent prices and displaced people, but writing some pieces for medium or producing some podcasts that make $0 or walking a few dogs for $20 isn't the end of the world if you try out. You either like it as a hobby or give up quickly after you don't make any money. What I think Monica was referring to are the plethora of sketchy online courses going around IG/YT of how to 10x your income or be a "coach to coaches". They're all structured pretty closely to MLMs in that you have to invest a big sum upfront with no guarantee of making your money back and the only way you can really make $$ is to sell the same stuff to a bunch of other people who in turn sell it to more people. Which... only works if you're already a known influencer who can get 100s of people to hire you/take your course. There's also a ton of sketchy self-love courses too, where you pay some unqualified person $100-1000s to basically be your therapist/friend and text you a couple times a week and maybe give you a workout guide/diet plan. :? Pretty sure those types of courses was what Monica was getting at.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

Guys. I know what she was referencing to in terms of online course scams. I was merely making a joke (lol I guess it fell flat) about how she is basically a watered-down/more subtle version of a scammer.

She’s on youtube to make a quick buck for minimal effort...like a scammer. Most of her vid titles are click-baity, she’s basically an authority on nothing and has no qualifications (yet still feels the need to give us advice on things like how to buy a house?), and she IS selling us things through sponsorships, affiliate links, etc. She’s basically just a commercial when she does single-branded vids like that “Amazon Cashierless Store” vid, “Lululemon haul” vids, etc. But then again, I guess most youtubers do this so... I digress.

Well...I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.

Mechgrrl85
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mechgrrl85 »

Rosie34567 wrote:Guys. I know what she was referencing to in terms of online course scams. I was merely making a joke (lol I guess it fell flat) about how she is basically a watered-down/more subtle version of a scammer.

She’s on youtube to make a quick buck for minimal effort...like a scammer. Most of her vid titles are click-baity, she’s basically an authority on nothing and has no qualifications (yet still feels the need to give us advice on things like how to buy a house?), and she IS selling us things through sponsorships, affiliate links, etc. She’s basically just a commercial when she does single-branded vids like that “Amazon Cashierless Store” vid, “Lululemon haul” vids, etc. But then again, I guess most youtubers do this so... I digress.

Well...I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.
This!!!!!! Influencer culture is so messed up. I don’t understand how it’s going to be sustainable as they age. Their audiences will just Age out and none of them seem to be creating anything just shilling products.

danny-devito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by danny-devito »

so... did anyone watch monica's new video about buying an airstream? it's an interesting project to take on for sure, but again, i think it highlights how out of touch influencers are. like, what other 20-something can impulse buy an over $6k trailer knowing that there would be several thousands of dollars of renovations coming soon too? also, she *just* bought a house, so she clearly won't be living out of a mobile/tiny home any time soon. obviously i don't know much about the airstream renovation community (?), but from what i see from people who do bus/van remodels, tiny homes, etc., they largely seem to be people really into sustainability and home remodeling, neither of which seem to be monica's area of interest or expertise. it almost seems like it's a project for her dad to do and she's just the one funding it, making decisions, and eventually reaping the rewards. it was nice seeing the montage of her helping her dad on some cleaning, but i do wonder what the endgame of this project is, or if it's just something for her to get some content out of.

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

^ I was a little bit surprised she's blowing 6k on a trailer when she didn't even put 20% down on the townhouse. My priority would be getting to 20% before I take on some big expense, but whatever I guess. Not going to lie I am pretty jealous. It looks like an awesome project and I guess if her dad actually likes doing it it's a good way to bond.

treetown_squirrel
Debater
Debater

Post by treetown_squirrel »

Well, I'm certainly bored enough in quarantine to watch another airstream build project (I watch a ton of these types of videos anyway)...

... but her whole thing about not taking something on if she would cry over it? That's blessed that she wouldn't cry over losing $6,000. It was also weirdly a little arrogant that she made that passing comment about how she doesn't want to be stuck at home not learning anything. But that's snark for another day.

Anyway, I'm a new homeowner and have done some relatively minor renovations on my home... y'all. I'm looking at that shell like... $20,000 would be making out like a bandit in terms of sinking money into that thing. Depending on what she's thinking of doing they could easily spend $50,000 (skilled labor, solar panels, premium finishes, original parts from ebay, etc). That's less a criticism and more me being amazed she can impulsively take on a project of that magnitude.

Anditgoesonn
Learner
Learner

Post by Anditgoesonn »

I don’t think there’s anything wrong for Monica to buy an airstream, it’s her finances and she does have the means to get it and afford to renovate it. She’s clearly even helping in the process with her dad with all the renovations. It’s not much different from getting an RV and trying to customize it. She can even renovate that entire thing and have it up as an Airbnb and get an income out of it or renovate it and sell it for much more than she got it. She clearly even said if this airstream is not fixable she justified that the money she spent would be gone but at lease she tried to repair it with her dad.

danny-devito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by danny-devito »

treetown_squirrel wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:51 pm
... but her whole thing about not taking something on if she would cry over it? That's blessed that she wouldn't cry over losing $6,000. It was also weirdly a little arrogant that she made that passing comment about how she doesn't want to be stuck at home not learning anything. But that's snark for another day.
lmao yes, both of these parts really struck me during the video. the girl is pretty out of touch with her audience if she thinks the average person can drop over $6k and then not be sad if it ends up being a waste.

Mechgrrl85
Learner
Learner

Post by Mechgrrl85 »

I’d way rather watch this content, despite the things you guys said above. She’s snarky AF but it’s not another $600 hair straightener review “so we don’t have to buy one”. Haha

I have guesses on how this turns out but I’ll keep them to myself and watch on cause I do love this stuff.

sudden opinion
Learner
Learner

Post by sudden opinion »

Mechgrrl85 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 am
I’d way rather watch this content, despite the things you guys said above. She’s snarky AF but it’s not another $600 hair straightener review “so we don’t have to buy one”. Haha

I have guesses on how this turns out but I’ll keep them to myself and watch on cause I do love this stuff.

I am also so excited for her to work on this. What a refreshing change from not only her usual content but literally every other influencer right now. I cannot watch anymore 'quarantine routine' vlogs. They are mind-numbingly similar. I hope she keeps up with this airstream, or maybe she could sell it once she finishes.

Betches
Learner
Learner

Post by Betches »

Really curious... why does alisha still have such an old car? She clearly has money so what’s the point of having such an old car? It doesn’t really seem like her to not care about materialistic things since she’s always wasting money and spends so much

yellowbowl
Talker
Talker

Post by yellowbowl »

I saw on Sarah Penny's (Jeanine's best friend) Instagram story a couple days ago that Shelby was diving in her pool. I didn't really care because I felt like she had been quarantining pretty well, but then her video about how she was having symptoms didn't sit well with me. I guess she's probably not quarantining as well as I thought she was.

SilentRey
Lurker
Lurker

Post by SilentRey »

Betches wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:31 pm
Really curious... why does alisha still have such an old car? She clearly has money so what’s the point of having such an old car? It doesn’t really seem like her to not care about materialistic things since she’s always wasting money and spends so much

Not sure if you posted in the wrong thread by accident? But Alisha (assuming you mean Alisha Marie) said she drives an old car because she's too sentimental to get another one. Something about it being one of her first big purchases that she paid off maybe? And she wants to drive it until it absolutely can't function anymore. It's an odd thing to be sentimental over given that she can afford the nicest of cars, but I respect that she's not buying a 70K+ car just because she can. It saves her hundreds of bucks a month on the car note alone and is relatively dirt cheap to insure compared to a newer car, so whatever.

Anditgoesonn
Learner
Learner

Post by Anditgoesonn »

Ummm Shelbys last vlog about her app ?? This is the exact reason why I think influencers/YouTubers are out of it! Who’s going to pay money for you guys to answer questions regardless if it’s tips or advice? Literally your entire platform should be about answering these questions since you have viewers and followers who are interested in watching your lives. I think that app is the stupidest thing she’s trying to do, and all her friends are probably gaslighting her saying it’s a good idea because they’re influencers and youtubers as well and would just benefit off of getting more money. If the app works out there’s going to be no more content on their handles and it’s just going to be all bullshit advertisements. Ugh I hate youtubers who think they’re doing something groundbreaking when it’s stupid af.

Mechgrrl85
Learner
Learner

Post by Mechgrrl85 »

I’ve never been a super Shelby fan (she’s fine; her life seems boring to me but maybe I’m boring haha) but holy man her hustle is intense. The app the way she laid it out is a dud unless she goes the consulting route (insert opinion about consulting of influencers here highlighted by big big eyerolls) but just getting people to pay to ask you questions sounds like a great way to get some stalkers and that’s it.

Anditgoesonn
Learner
Learner

Post by Anditgoesonn »

Shelbys last vlog saying she’s thankful for all the insight she received from the comments maybe her viewers should charge her for the insight since she’s receiving advice on a career question. This app is so dumb

Solcool2
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Solcool2 »

Shelby also in her latest blog going out to public and in grocery stores, but just a few days before thinks she has covid and gets tested... doesn’t get results back yet but still going out and about. Didn’t know how stupid she actually was till this video.

Anditgoesonn
Learner
Learner

Post by Anditgoesonn »

Solcool2 wrote:Shelby also in her latest blog going out to public and in grocery stores, but just a few days before thinks she has covid and gets tested... doesn’t get results back yet but still going out and about. Didn’t know how stupid she actually was till this video.
She also touched her face right after her grocery shopping spree like?

yamrolls
Learner
Learner

Post by yamrolls »

Is guru gossip working again??

michaeljayadams
Learner
Learner

Post by michaeljayadams »

Wondering if Monica has said anything offensive abut the protests yet. I feel like she's definitely the kind of person to tweet "ALL LiVes MatTer"

Return to “L-O”