Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Karlie Kloss

Post by slgnouasgou »

ECH wrote:
whatwut wrote:
Eclectic wrote:Yeah Shay's had so much potential but just comes off like she's acting (not well either, for an actor). But Karlie is friends with Casey Neistat and IIRC he helped her set her channel up. I'm sure he's given her a few tips and tricks :)
Yea, I really liked her first video about showing what her life was like. That was cool. I wish she would stop calling herself a coder though, programming for one hour using ruby doesn't exactly make you a programmer.
To be fair, she has taken courses in coding at the Flatiron school and I wouldn't be surprised if she took some computer design courses when she starts at NYU.
That's the equivalent of someone calling themselves an artist after taking a couple of art classes or drawing a couple of pictures. Or someone calling themselves a blacksmith after taking a couple of classes at their local rec center. It's cool that she's interested in programming....but she's just dabbled in a few beginner courses. You don't need to go to college to learn how to program, but it takes hours and hours of work each day before you can get to the point where you can look through a strangers code and figure out what's happening....or before you can pick up a new language in a matter of days. Until you reach that point I don't think you can really call yourself a programmer and I think it trivializes just how much work people put into their craft.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

ECH wrote:
whatwut wrote:
Eclectic wrote:Yeah Shay's had so much potential but just comes off like she's acting (not well either, for an actor). But Karlie is friends with Casey Neistat and IIRC he helped her set her channel up. I'm sure he's given her a few tips and tricks :)
Yea, I really liked her first video about showing what her life was like. That was cool. I wish she would stop calling herself a coder though, programming for one hour using ruby doesn't exactly make you a programmer.
To be fair, she has taken courses in coding at the Flatiron school and I wouldn't be surprised if she took some computer design courses when she starts at NYU.
Also, design is a completely different discipline than programming.

whatwut
Talker
Talker

Post by whatwut »

slgnouasgou wrote:
ECH wrote: To be fair, she has taken courses in coding at the Flatiron school and I wouldn't be surprised if she took some computer design courses when she starts at NYU.
That's the equivalent of someone calling themselves an artist after taking a couple of art classes or drawing a couple of pictures. Or someone calling themselves a blacksmith after taking a couple of classes at their local rec center. It's cool that she's interested in programming....but she's just dabbled in a few beginner courses. You don't need to go to college to learn how to program, but it takes hours and hours of work each day before you can get to the point where you can look through a strangers code and figure out what's happening....or before you can pick up a new language in a matter of days. Until you reach that point I don't think you can really call yourself a programmer and I think it trivializes just how much work people put into their craft.
Exactly, and the school she's promoting is a COMPLETE rip off. There are so many great, free online sources and so many websites out there that have curated them. The Odin Project for one. Even if you wanted a "class" type structure, there are a lot of free classes offered in every major city. There are hundreds of meetups for beginners to get together with more advanced programmers to get questions answered. Programming bootcamps like the flatiron school are a total rip off. You spend a ton of money and you don't even have the proper skills at the end of it.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

slgnouasgou wrote:Also, design is a completely different discipline than programming.
I meant to type computer science. It was like 7am in the morning so I wasn't with it haha

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

ECH wrote:
slgnouasgou wrote:Also, design is a completely different discipline than programming.
I meant to type computer science. It was like 7am in the morning so I wasn't with it haha
That's awesome, if she does :) It'll probably get more people into CS if she does, but I still think she can do it in a more respectful way.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

slgnouasgou wrote:
ECH wrote:
That's awesome, if she does :) It'll probably get more people into CS if she does, but I still think she can do it in a more respectful way.
Ngl, I would agree. The only reason I took issue with your original post was because it felt like you were saying she didn't actually learn coding properly when that's not the case, but I'm glad this was cleared up. I mean like I was taught to code by my dad and I wouldn't call myself a programmer.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

ECH wrote: Ngl, I would agree. The only reason I took issue with your original post was because it felt like you were saying she didn't actually learn coding properly when that's not the case, but I'm glad this was cleared up. I mean like I was taught to code by my dad and I wouldn't call myself a programmer.
My biggest thing is she's promoting for profit, non collegiate schools, which are known in the CS community to be a rip off. They spoon feed everything to you. Not to mention there are so many great organizations that offer free programming classes all over America. Girl develop it is one example. It just seems very disingenuous, like it's a business decision and she's taking advantage of other people's ignorance.

galaxy_stars
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by galaxy_stars »

slgnouasgou wrote:
ECH wrote: Ngl, I would agree. The only reason I took issue with your original post was because it felt like you were saying she didn't actually learn coding properly when that's not the case, but I'm glad this was cleared up. I mean like I was taught to code by my dad and I wouldn't call myself a programmer.
My biggest thing is she's promoting for profit, non collegiate schools, which are known in the CS community to be a rip off. They spoon feed everything to you. Not to mention there are so many great organizations that offer free programming classes all over America. Girl develop it is one example. It just seems very disingenuous, like it's a business decision and she's taking advantage of other people's ignorance.
Well, I mean, there is a reason Taylor Swift designated her as her #1 BFF :rofl: .

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

slgnouasgou wrote:My biggest thing is she's promoting for profit, non collegiate schools, which are known in the CS community to be a rip off. They spoon feed everything to you. Not to mention there are so many great organizations that offer free programming classes all over America. Girl develop it is one example. It just seems very disingenuous, like it's a business decision and she's taking advantage of other people's ignorance.
By and large it probably is a business decision. She may have a genuine interest, but it also makes her look better and more interesting and more relatable if she has an interest in something outside of fashion and modelling and as such generates more interest in her so it all adds up.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

The new video is cute in a kinda cliché way. Could have been better. The things she said were somewhat generic.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that she didn't bake a cake from scratch. I would have loved to see her actually making a cake that didn't come in a box, and a birthday cake video could have been adorable and a lot more personal! Oh well.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

I think it's a little weird she didn't bake a cake from scratch because she keeps calling herself a baker and has a cookie company....but that just reinforces my idae that her whole persona is mostly fabricated for personality.

BUT, I am really enjoying the videos. i think she's taking it in the right direction making it more "vloggy' and showing us what her life looks like with minimal editing.

I have to say it's really refreshing to see what she normally looks like, because she has wrinkles and all sorts of stuff too. Which I think will be good for young girls who idolize her to see.

sqm
Talker
Talker

Post by sqm »

I can't believe I share the same birthday with Karlie :cheers:

blendingbrushfreak
Debater
Debater

Post by blendingbrushfreak »

I don't think she ever called herself a programme. She's simply said that coding is fascinating lol

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

I do find it interesting seeing the behind the scenes for some stuff. It's interesting seeing what goes into getting the photos needed for a photoshoot and all that.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

blendingbrushfreak wrote:I don't think she ever called herself a programme. She's simply said that coding is fascinating lol
She's definitely called herself a coder multiple times.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

I'm kind of disappointed by the slickness of her videos. I was expecting more raw vlogging. When I was watching the birthday video I was wondering what was up with the closeups of the cake box and the frosting. Was she doing a brand deal?

She does seem like a grounded woman (which is why I'll continue to watch), but the videos just don have a sense of authenticity we're used to. Maybe it's the Casey Neistat influence--don't vlog because you enjoy it, vlog because you have an agenda.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

Presence wrote:I'm kind of disappointed by the slickness of her videos. I was expecting more raw vlogging. When I was watching the birthday video I was wondering what was up with the closeups of the cake box and the frosting. Was she doing a brand deal?

She does seem like a grounded woman (which is why I'll continue to watch), but the videos just don have a sense of authenticity we're used to. Maybe it's the Casey Neistat influence--don't vlog because you enjoy it, vlog because you have an agenda.
Yea, she's definitely a good business woman that's for sure. Like with the glamour video. People want to see what it's like to be a cover model....but it's also an add for glamour and promotion for her cover.

gasp
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gasp »

slgnouasgou wrote:I think it's a little weird she didn't bake a cake from scratch because she keeps calling herself a baker and has a cookie company....but that just reinforces my idae that her whole persona is mostly fabricated for personality.

BUT, I am really enjoying the videos. i think she's taking it in the right direction making it more "vloggy' and showing us what her life looks like with minimal editing.

I have to say it's really refreshing to see what she normally looks like, because she has wrinkles and all sorts of stuff too. Which I think will be good for young girls who idolize her to see.
I just figured Pillsbury sponsered her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lolzies
Informer
Informer

Post by Lolzies »

[youtube][/youtube]
I didn't really like the "Fashion Week in 60 Seconds" video. She skipped over a lot of things, and it seemed very rushed. I didn't like the 2 second clips of "getting my makeup done!" and "other models getting makeup done". I wish that she had shown more of the prep for the show, and not just a quick clip of putting on sandals and getting the rollers taken out of there hair.

galaxy_stars
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by galaxy_stars »

that Make a Wish video was cool. I just wish they were longer and were more personal.. the video before was also short. I just hope she doesn't go Shay's route, though I feel like it might be headed towards that direction =/

Return to “Celebrity”