The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

deerly

Re: The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

Post by deerly »

Bittersweet_A, wow it seems we have really similar music tastes!
I have a whole ultimate feel-good album - it's the first FF album (also early Tame Impala and Temples stuff)
[youtube][/youtube]

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by spaceguitarr »

I feel like i'm OT in the OT thread, but do u guys watch Dodie Clark? I'm kinda casually starting to ship her and Evan lol. If they end up dating then i told ya so

greatnessflicker
Learner
Learner

Post by greatnessflicker »

spaceguitarr wrote:I feel like i'm OT in the OT thread, but do u guys watch Dodie Clark? I'm kinda casually starting to ship her and Evan lol. If they end up dating then i told ya so
I absolutely adore dodie as she's so pretty and talented, but I think you'll find a lot of people here on GG don't like Evan for how he tries to use Dan & Phil. There are a lot of annoying things he does (replying to their tweets and then complaining that they never reply back, etc), but the most disrespectful imo is this and the fact that he replied to a fan on twitter saying he's watched the v-day video (I can't find the tweet for the life of me? but he talks about how youtubers gossip just as much as we do). Totally tacky and unprofessional, besides just not respectful.

That wasn't your question tho lol. I like dodie and evan as just friends.

vsannil
Learner
Learner

Post by vsannil »

[youtube][/youtube]

About 4:40 in is when John actually starts talking about fanfiction, and I thought I'd share it here. He waffles quite a bit though, so beware (he usually does).

Idk how you guys feel about fanfiction and if you even want to discuss it here, but once I'm done reading something, I feel guilty and weird about it. Still I enjoyed hearing John's opinion on it and how he emphasized on the difference between fictional characters and real people being shipped/written about.

Post by Guest »

deerly wrote:Bittersweet_A, wow it seems we have really similar music tastes!
I have a whole ultimate feel-good album - it's the first FF album (also early Tame Impala and Temples stuff)
First of all, deerly, привет из Прибалтики! ;)
Second, I didn't mean that I have only one feel-good song (there are many), but this just was the most recent one. :) I am a huuuge music nerd, if I may say so about myself. Thanks a lot for reminding me of the first FF album (very nice choice ;) ), I have it at home and loved it so much and was listening to it a lot around 2006/07, especially when I was doing some house work :D Now I have to blow the dust off it and give it some proper listening once again.

I hope that I am not getting on anyone's nerves posting here about music etc.

To be on theme: I have seen Dodie in some collab and tag videos, she seemed nice but up to now I haven't watched her videos. I have seen some Evan's videos, and he's just not my type.

Fanfiction: (Some short comment, sorry, didn't watch the video) I have read something very short about various people (just to understand the fanfic genre and what are fans imagining), I am not a fan of fanfic, I'd rather read some proper book, sorry to those who are writing/reading. I am not saying that it is bad or whatever, just a personal preference, I believe there are some very good fanfiction out there, but I am not a fan of fanfic of real people and even of some imaginary characters. It makes me uncomfortable when it is about real people.

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

Bittersweet_A wrote: I hope that I am not getting on anyone's nerves posting here about music etc.
Noooo, music = :love2:

I was just coming here to post a few songs that I wanted to recommend to those metal lovers amongst us. I remember Dan saying in a liveshow recently that he was out of the (metal) loop when someone told him about the new Trivium album, gah, his taste in metal was pretty awesome, fuck Trivium haha, they've been shit for years. I'd love to educate the guy in the good metal albums from 2015, he's missing out on some pretty good ones.

The singer of this band is both gorgeous in the looks and vocals department.
[youtube][/youtube]

If you're into prog metal then check out the latest album from Born Of Osiris, it's sofuckinggood!
[youtube][/youtube]

Urgh, this girl has some of the best scream vocals ever :love2:
[youtube][/youtube]

August Burns Red - some amazing double bass drumming in there
[youtube][/youtube]

Parkway Drive - Dying To Believe, the first 20 seconds of this song are full of pure dirty guitars, and the vocals/screaming is too good.
[youtube][/youtube]

I have to admit I am kinda ashamed to say I have fallen in love with this track by Asking Alexandria *so much cringe*. I saw them live once in London and I vowed to never listen to them again because they were so shit. I know they have a different singer now but the video was full of cringey moments but if you listen to it with the bass up and with the video hidden then :love2:
[youtube][/youtube]

Someone give me some good music recs please - if it falls anywhere within the metal genre then I'll be happy :D i'm so narrow minded when it comes to music (unfortunately), I just love some good loud guitars and drums in there somewhere.
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

ImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

missemma wrote:Bittersweet_A wrote:
I hope that I am not getting on anyone's nerves posting here about music etc.

Noooo, music =
Thank's. <3
missemma wrote:Someone give me some good music recs please - if it falls anywhere within the metal genre then I'll be happy i'm so narrow minded when it comes to music (unfortunately), I just love some good loud guitars and drums in there somewhere.
Your post inspired me to dig in my archives and 10 year old mixtapes looking for some harsher sound. I cannot suggest anything within the metal range (sorry), but one of the most powerful songs for me with some strong sound, wonderful guitars, drums and electronica is this one, I always have goosebumps. I am sure you know this one, if not and if not interested in hearing it, maybe others will find it interesting ;) so that's why I am leaving it here:

[youtube][/youtube]

One more:
Massive Attack - The Dog Obeys from Danny the Dog soundtrack has some nice guitars and drums. The whole Danny the Dog album I find very interesting, for me it is dark, a bit evil, but with some lighter moments. I associate it somehow with what the Apocalypse or some kind of modern war could sound like (at least for me).
[youtube][/youtube]

This also reminded me that some 10 years ago one person asked me for strong guitar and drum combo sound for some short film can't remember all the songs I recommended, but I remember he chose some bit from Sigur Ros - Untitled 8 end part (there's culmination of the drums and a guitar/guitars), I also have somewhere on old cds some experimental instrumentals from one Estonian guy with strong guitars, unfortunately we only communicated a bit, so I don't know whether he fulfilled his dreams of being a proper musician.

I have some songs of great guitar & drum combo, dunno whether to post them here. If somebody's interested, I can ramble about music for days. ;)

I like some songs from NIN With Teeth album, Jane's Addiction - Just Because, these were in my mixtapes the ones with a bit harsher sound, but again this is not metal.
And I just remembered how good are Placebo guitars' sound. IMO they have some magic guitar sound. Damn. My teenage years. Guess who will have a-Placebo-listening-session now? 8-) I love their stuff from the beginning up until Meds (including), after Steve Hewitt left the band I gave up on them. I was obsessed with them, listened to all the b-sides, instrumentals. Oh, nostalgia.

Nowadays I really like how sound the guitars + drums in Kings of Leon and some Mumford and Sons songs. But of course there are loads of good stuff, can't remember all now and I don't want to make this post mega long. These are the first one's that come to my mind.

Also, your post made me realise that I really don't label music anymore like I did years ago, when I tried to put them in genres and group them like that in my head and tried to understand what my taste was. Then eventually I gave up and now I have only two labels: music I do like and music I don't like. (Or three with the neutral label=music I don't love but don't mind in the background). I realised that this made my life easier. Not that there's anything wrong with listening music within one genre or labelling the music you like. ;)

I guess my evening plans are sorted, said Bittersweet_A going down the nostalgia path with some loud Placebo sounds in the background. Cheers!
;)

Edit: ^^ That Hands like Houses frontman really has a good voice, :tu: and yes, he also looks good. Although I like softer sounds for my ears, but I may listen couple of more times this song (Colourblind).

jesssica
Talker
Talker

Post by jesssica »

missemma, do you like Dethklok? If so, you may want to check out Brendon Small's solo album Galaktikon. "Beastblade" is my favorite track on that album. I seriously love everything Brendon does musically & TV-wise (Metalocalypse, Dethklok, Home Movies, Galaktikon, stand up... ALL OF IT!). As far as metal goes, I've been listening to massive amounts of Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan (just got their recent vinyl reissues that sound great!), Baroness, & Swans (they're not metal, but they're noisy as fuck. :D). My taste in metal is pretty boring.

Bittersweet_A, I could listen to Massive Attack all day, every day (especially Blue Lines, Mezzanine, & Heligoland). I'm so fucking excited that they have two EPs & an album coming out this year including new music with Tricky! I really hope they tour here in the U.S. Such an insane amount of new music coming out that I'm excited about after years of not really giving two shits about new releases for the most part. Radiohead, Massive, Gorillaz (maybe?), Mogwai, Travis, PJ Harvey, & more all still to come!

I mentioned them in the D&P music recs thread, but, honestly, I'm insanely in love with The Black Queen's album. I saw them last week for one of their two scheduled shows (the other one is tonite in London!) & my head basically exploded from the sexy combination of Josh Eustis & Greg Puciato. Great moody, sexy, synth driven music. I used to be a massive NIN fan, but Josh Eustis is the only thing that made the first two Hesitation Marks tours worth attending for me (sorry, Trent, but you've burned all bridges for me at this point!). Photos of Josh's sexiness under the spoiler cut... him + Dan have a similar aesthetic. :love2:

Post by Guest »

jesssica wrote:Bittersweet_A, I could listen to Massive Attack all day, every day (especially Blue Lines, Mezzanine, & Heligoland). I'm so fucking excited that they have two EPs & an album coming out this year including new music with Tricky! I really hope they tour here in the U.S. Such an insane amount of new music coming out that I'm excited about after years of not really giving two shits about new releases for the most part. Radiohead, Massive, Gorillaz (maybe?), Mogwai, Travis, PJ Harvey, & more all still to come!
And I am continuing my rambling, I will try to be short:
I love Massive Attack to bits. I think what they did (hopefully still do if their new stuff turns out great) is outstanding. They are one of my most favourite musicians. Massive Attack wasn’t lying forgotten in my old music stuff. ;)

What about 100th Window and Protection? (Of course it is alright not to like these albums ;) )

My favourite albums are Mezzanine and 100th Window (both equally), then comes Protection, then Danny the Dog, then Blue Lines (although I only listen to Unfinished Sympathy) I kinda disliked Heligoland when it came out, I had high expectations for it, but I was disappointed (except for Paradise Circus and I am :roll: at myself for choosing the most popular song from the album :D ) so I haven’t listened it after that first try, I think I should listen to it and see what I think now. I haven’t checked out the new stuff... YET.
And now I will give away my whereabouts, but Tricky is performing here tomorrow. I am not going, I haven’t listened to his music (I have checked out some stuff but was not very impressed), so I don’t particularly care except for their some kind of reunion and what’s good for Massive Attack.
I am completely mesmerised by Horace Andy’s voice. I must say I don’t know how they do this - I mean - find such a great vocalists for each song and they suit so well. Sinead, Elizabeth Fraser, 3D himself, Shara Nelson, Tracey Thorn… love them all.

I could list all my favourite tracks and what I particularly like etc, but I don't want to bore anybody, so therefore no. But I just :love2: when I find out that others like something like that too. ;)

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

Bittersweet_A wrote: Your post inspired me to dig in my archives and 10 year old mixtapes looking for some harsher sound. I cannot suggest anything within the metal range (sorry), but one of the most powerful songs for me with some strong sound, wonderful guitars, drums and electronica is this one, I always have goosebumps. I am sure you know this one, if not and if not interested in hearing it, maybe others will find it interesting ;) so that's why I am leaving it here:

[youtube][/youtube]

And I just remembered how good are Placebo guitars' sound. IMO they have some magic guitar sound. Damn. My teenage years. Guess who will have a-Placebo-listening-session now? 8-) I love their stuff from the beginning up until Meds (including), after Steve Hewitt left the band I gave up on them. I was obsessed with them, listened to all the b-sides, instrumentals. Oh, nostalgia.

Also, your post made me realise that I really don't label music anymore like I did years ago, when I tried to put them in genres and group them like that in my head and tried to understand what my taste was. Then eventually I gave up and now I have only two labels: music I do like and music I don't like. (Or three with the neutral label=music I don't love but don't mind in the background). I realised that this made my life easier. Not that there's anything wrong with listening music within one genre or labelling the music you like. ;)

Edit: ^^ That Hands like Houses frontman really has a good voice, :tu: and yes, he also looks good. Although I like softer sounds for my ears, but I may listen couple of more times this song (Colourblind).
Thank you for linking that Massive Attack song, I really enjoyed it!

Placebo were the first alternative band I got into back in 1996 and they sparked my love for metal and alternative music and I've not looked back, before that I was into pure pop music (the shame haha). I have all their singles, and so many of their albums on vinyl :love2: but they're a band I hold a lot of love for just for nostalgia purposes, even though I stopped listening to them when Steve left. I saw them live a year ago and tbh they hadn't changed at all, I am just as in love with Brian's vocals today as I was in 1996. He has one of those voices that you either love or hate and I definitely love it. I'm going on a Placebo binge session later on for sure.

I didn't ever really label music as such, there are so many genres out there and some people get really angry if you label one band in the wrong genre (like really, who gives a shit as long as it sounds good right?). I find I definitely go through phases of music, sometimes I just want to listen to something a bit fun but my heart lies with metal always.

Glad you enjoyed the Hands Like Houses. Someone recommended this album to me today, I've just given it a listen and it's really good. Sorry for yet another metal recommendation:

[youtube][/youtube]

ImageImageImage

jesssica
Talker
Talker

Post by jesssica »

Bittersweet_A wrote: And I am continuing my rambling, I will try to be short:
I love Massive Attack to bits. I think what they did (hopefully still do if their new stuff turns out great) is outstanding. They are one of my most favourite musicians. Massive Attack wasn’t lying forgotten in my old music stuff. ;)

What about 100th Window and Protection? (Of course it is alright not to like these albums ;) )

My favourite albums are Mezzanine and 100th Window (both equally), then comes Protection, then Danny the Dog, then Blue Lines (although I only listen to Unfinished Sympathy) I kinda disliked Heligoland when it came out, I had high expectations for it, but I was disappointed (except for Paradise Circus and I am :roll: at myself for choosing the most popular song from the album :D ) so I haven’t listened it after that first try, I think I should listen to it and see what I think now. I haven’t checked out the new stuff... YET.
And now I will give away my whereabouts, but Tricky is performing here tomorrow. I am not going, I haven’t listened to his music (I have checked out some stuff but was not very impressed), so I don’t particularly care except for their some kind of reunion and what’s good for Massive Attack.
I am completely mesmerised by Horace Andy’s voice. I must say I don’t know how they do this - I mean - find such a great vocalists for each song and they suit so well. Sinead, Elizabeth Fraser, 3D himself, Shara Nelson, Tracey Thorn… love them all.

I could list all my favourite tracks and what I particularly like etc, but I don't want to bore anybody, so therefore no. But I just :love2: when I find out that others like something like that too. ;)
Never apologize for a Massive Attack tangent. :love2: Robert has been very lucky to have worked with so many mind blowingly amazing vocalists over the years (add Martina, Damon, & Hope to the list for me!). It just goes to show the respect the musical community have for what him & Grant do! Horace Andy's voice gives me chills every damn time I see him perform. They have a singer named Deborah Miller who has been performing with them for a years now ("Unfinished Symphony", "Safe From Harm", etc.) & she gives Shara a run for her money! I consider myself very lucky to have seen Elizabeth Fraser sing live with them. I almost missed that tour since I was bouncing between California & Toronto at the time. Thankfully I ended up staying in California & caught their show at the Hollywood Bowl. :)

Heligoland seems to have been a strong love or hate for most people right out the gate. I really love that album & it has grown on me more & more each year since its release (I can't believe it has been nearly 6 years already!). Honestly, I never really gave 100th Window a fair chance... I listened a few times then basically filed it straight away. Hopefully I'll find sometime to revisit it soon & see what I think now. I absolutely love some of the tracks off Protection (particularly Protection, Karmacoma, & Better Things), but it's a pretty spotty album for me.

I'm always surprised that I've never heard Dan talk about Massive. Might have to poke him in a live show to find out if he likes them. :D

P.S. You live in a lovely country! I visited there briefly in 2013 & fell in love with that part of Europe!

danie
Debater
Debater

Post by danie »

hey guys! long time no gg, but hopefully i can rejoin the stal- discussion! if anyone remembers me oops
I have my moments, but mostly I just make too many typos.

phantasia01
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by phantasia01 »

Hi first time poster long time lurker lol, and I kinda need a little help. I really wanna get a tattoo that's related to dan and phil but I don't want a quote or cat whiskers. So do you guys have any ideas that aren't to big? Like a symbol or something that relates to them? Thanks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

phantasia01 wrote:Hi first time poster long time lurker lol, and I kinda need a little help. I really wanna get a tattoo that's related to dan and phil but I don't want a quote or cat whiskers. So do you guys have any ideas that aren't to big? Like a symbol or something that relates to them? Thanks lol.

A tasteful llama and lion fucking on a stack of pancakes.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

And you should commission manged to do the artwork ;)
Credit:amazingfiru

bluecaterpillar
Learner
Learner

Post by bluecaterpillar »

anybody else seen the controversy surrounding the british lgbt awards? basically, some nominees are not q'ueer or trans, and there's also a 'straight ally' category (in which zoella is one of the nominees). #boycottlgbtawards is trending on twitter rn.

tbh i think it's ridiculous that some people have been nominated when they've done pretty much nothing except not be homophobic. zoe seems to have been nominated bc she's friends with tyler oakley and she wrote a book with a gay character in. how does that deserve an award?? also wtf is with nominating straight celebs like adele and little mix in the best music artist categories?
sarcasm is the highest form of wit

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

bluecaterpillar wrote:anybody else seen the controversy surrounding the british lgbt awards? basically, some nominees are not q'ueer or trans, and there's also a 'straight ally' category (in which zoella is one of the nominees). #boycottlgbtawards is trending on twitter rn.
I think the category "straight-ally" is ok but they need to nominate those who really are allies and made contributions; and the fact that 2/3 of all nominees across are not LGBT that is not right :roll:
[youtube][/youtube]

As there are lots of music lovers here; do any of you enjoy this band?
[youtube][/youtube]

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Any of you guys follow the final American Idol and the latest The Voice US? Any Glambert here saw his good friend Alisan auditioned, beautiful voice.
[youtube][/youtube]

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

phantasia01 wrote:Hi first time poster long time lurker lol, and I kinda need a little help. I really wanna get a tattoo that's related to dan and phil but I don't want a quote or cat whiskers. So do you guys have any ideas that aren't to big? Like a symbol or something that relates to them? Thanks lol.

Get manged's Danma avatar, something that people will never know, and when you regret it in a few years you can just pretend it's a relative

sorry, i wouldn't recommend getting a D&P tattoo personally 8-)

ImageImageImage

daphenaxa
Informer
Informer

Post by daphenaxa »

I think if you really want to get a tattoo inspired by Dan and Phil, you should get something personal. Like something that makes you think of them, something that represents why you like them so much and feel connected to them to the point of getting a tattoo about them. It's something personal and can be anything really. That way, it will also still be relevant in the futur even if you stop liking/following them that much etc. I think getting a tattoo is a very introspective act.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”