Markiplier's Relationships - Part 2

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier's Relationships - Part 2

Post by DeathToAllSpiders »

I just started watching the newest episode of The Evil Within. I know that this is NOT intentional metaphor, double-speak or implication on Mark's part, but the first words out of his mouth in this video struck me as so accidentally applicable to the situation that's being discussed here.

“Now I'm an idiot! But that's nothing new, so let me explain why. I started this episode without actually doing my recording... so none of the game was captured. But that's okay, because I didn't fail spectacularly! Nooooothing I did was bad - and nobody can prove that anything I did was bad in the first place – and therefore, everything is fine. Everybody understand that?”

Again, I'm not reading anything into this. I know he doesn't mean this as a comment on his relationship with Jess, or that he's drawing any connection between this literal explanation of what happened in his video and how he's handling the whole vacuum of silence around his romantic life. This also isn't a comment on my feelings about the choices he's made regarding his personal life and how much of it he's willing to discuss with his community.

But it seems to me that this is basically how he's chosen to handle the situation, whether he realizes it consciously or not. The camera wasn't on for the beginning of what happened here, but I know that you know that I probably fucked some stuff up while you weren't watching. I mean, everything went just fine and is totally cool, now! So moving right along....

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

DeathToAllSpiders wrote:I just started watching the newest episode of The Evil Within. I know that this is NOT intentional metaphor, double-speak or implication on Mark's part, but the first words out of his mouth in this video struck me as so accidentally applicable to the situation that's being discussed here.

“Now I'm an idiot! But that's nothing new, so let me explain why. I started this episode without actually doing my recording... so none of the game was captured. But that's okay, because I didn't fail spectacularly! Nooooothing I did was bad - and nobody can prove that anything I did was bad in the first place – and therefore, everything is fine. Everybody understand that?”

Again, I'm not reading anything into this. I know he doesn't mean this as a comment on his relationship with Jess, or that he's drawing any connection between this literal explanation of what happened in his video and how he's handling the whole vacuum of silence around his romantic life. This also isn't a comment on my feelings about the choices he's made regarding his personal life and how much of it he's willing to discuss with his community.

But it seems to me that this is basically how he's chosen to handle the situation, whether he realizes it consciously or not. The camera wasn't on for the beginning of what happened here, but I know that you know that I probably fucked some stuff up while you weren't watching. I mean, everything went just fine and is totally cool, now! So moving right along....
You're right. We can't say he's talking about her or anything else pertaining to his life.

BUT I have a huge belief that Mark tells us things wjthout us knowing the full context. I think he uses Markiplier to spew things out. He knows we likely won't know the context so he feels safe doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

I call bullshit on Felix, to be honest. Not to be one of "those" people defending a guy that doesn't need it (and we all know Mark's had his share of screwups), but I'd still listen to Mark over anything Felix says just because Mark has been more open with his subscribers...except for the obvious issue we've been discussing here. And yeah, tears come with honesty.

No hate here, I like them both. Felix actually looks like a pretty chill guy...and he's been way more open about Marzia than Mark will ever be about SOs. But it's stupid for him to call out people who cry on camera when one of the only times Felix ever looked even a little honest on camera was when he lost it at the end of Walking Dead Season 1. I would agree that crying just for sympathy is horribly manipulative, but I haven't seen that on Mark's end. If anything, he uses distraction tactics to divert people's attention away from his sadder moments.

Maybe it just comes down to perspective though. I'm no expert, of course. I just see a guy who found a way out of a dismal situation and is grateful to his subs for it, who's in touch with his emotions enough not to be ashamed of them. Did anyone watch the Pax South panel video where Wade gets pretty blunt at the end, thanking Mark for helping him avoid the cubicle life and follow his own dreams? Mark gets damn close to crying there too before recovering. I've also found his friends' reactions pretty telling over the years. Mark has actually made Wade choke up a couple times while Bob always looks like he's waiting patiently until it's over, but neither have ever been even a little surprised by it, even back in the beginning. That always suggested to me he was like that even before his Youtube career.

If the reasoning behind his tears ever changes, I'm pretty sure people would notice right away. Hell, even he said he knows he couldn't fool the viewers by making videos when he wasn't happy. (Case in point, his whole fucking channel between Indypopcon and Comic Con.) And I won't get into the 8 million video. That was just disturbing.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

As far as Felix goes, that's just his opinion on the matter, and I wholeheartedly agree with him that crying on camera can get awkward, even if it is genuine. I don't think he meant anything bad by it.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

frogert wrote:
chunkyflunky wrote:Super lurker here. This thread is crazy interesting. The psychology-major-that-only-existed-until-sophomore-year in me is really fascinated.
I can't help but think that Mark has a secret weapon that could get him out of this. Not 100%, but at least 75%. He just needs to make a video of himself crying. If he made a long vlog of himself just admitting to his lies and using as many self depreciating words as he knows, just really laying himself out as a terrible person who doesn't deserve his fandom or something, the fangirls would totally eat it up.
He'd still have to deal with the "whoa he dated a fangirl that means I have a chance" stuff, but most of Tumblr would be too busy making gifs of his tears to really dig into the deception. And if he painted ex lady friend in a respectful but still negative light (i.e. "we had a lot of issues and I just needed to get away" or something), then her magnificent reveal will be a tad tainted and not so easily (though still pretty easily) used as troll fodder. Take away the "ooo mysterious lady" facet of her and replace it with "implied that she has problems".
There's definitely, absolutely, positively no way out of this without sacrifice; he has truly, as y'all have pointed out, backed himself into a corner. But he's armed with a fandom that swoons and coddles when he sheds a tear. Seems kind of like a doorway towards a staircase towards a hallway towards fixing things.
Lol if he did a crying vid over not telling his fans that he dated someone and acted single, he'd be the laughingstock of youtube, no one would respect him and think of him as a whiny fucking bitch with a "poor me" attitude, sadly I bet some already do and it would be embarrassing/cringey to watch.

So the crying and begging for forgiveness and saying he is a piece of shit for his fangirls over dating some chick and not telling them/acting single is a no in my book, it just feels like it wouldn't work and it would cause some pretty intense shade from other youtubers and kinda ruin his youtube image.
I couldn't handle seeing such a loss of dignity if he went that far with this. There is a way to handle this situation (if he ever chooses to), and it's most certainly not this way. Of course, at this point, I don't know if it's worth it for him to admit the relationship more than it is for him to change some of the deceptive ways. Mark's not actively lying/deceiving people about it any more more than he is just not saying anything about it; if there is a lonely boy persona going on now, it's genuine.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

shyguyflys wrote:As far as Felix goes, that's just his opinion on the matter, and I wholeheartedly agree with him that crying on camera can get awkward, even if it is genuine. I don't think he meant anything bad by it.
True, I don't think he did either. He looks pretty chill IMO. And from what I can tell they're friends. But I guess right now, with the Markiplier fandom still comparing itself to Pewdiepie's (and the other way around at times,) a simple comment could easily be taken differently.

PythonMonty96
Debater
Debater

Post by PythonMonty96 »

kei wrote:I call bullshit on Felix, to be honest. Not to be one of "those" people defending a guy that doesn't need it (and we all know Mark's had his share of screwups), but I'd still listen to Mark over anything Felix says just because Mark has been more open with his subscribers...except for the obvious issue we've been discussing here. And yeah, tears come with honesty.

No hate here, I like them both. Felix actually looks like a pretty chill guy...and he's been way more open about Marzia than Mark will ever be about SOs. But it's stupid for him to call out people who cry on camera when one of the only times Felix ever looked even a little honest on camera was when he lost it at the end of Walking Dead Season 1. I would agree that crying just for sympathy is horribly manipulative, but I haven't seen that on Mark's end. If anything, he uses distraction tactics to divert people's attention away from his sadder moments.

Maybe it just comes down to perspective though. I'm no expert, of course. I just see a guy who found a way out of a dismal situation and is grateful to his subs for it, who's in touch with his emotions enough not to be ashamed of them. Did anyone watch the Pax South panel video where Wade gets pretty blunt at the end, thanking Mark for helping him avoid the cubicle life and follow his own dreams? Mark gets damn close to crying there too before recovering. I've also found his friends' reactions pretty telling over the years. Mark has actually made Wade choke up a couple times while Bob always looks like he's waiting patiently until it's over, but neither have ever been even a little surprised by it, even back in the beginning. That always suggested to me he was like that even before his Youtube career.

If the reasoning behind his tears ever changes, I'm pretty sure people would notice right away. Hell, even he said he knows he couldn't fool the viewers by making videos when he wasn't happy. (Case in point, his whole fucking channel between Indypopcon and Comic Con.) And I won't get into the 8 million video. That was just disturbing.
I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I do think that Felix may be guarded because that's just how he is. I know that I'm pretty guarded with my emotions and it takes a lot for me to get worked up over something, so I can understand why he seems unemotional. Mark, on the other hand, is an open book when it comes to how he is feeling. I do think that he has changed emotionally over the past few months due to the enormous amount of stress that he has been under due to Me$$ and his growing (and sometimes out of control) fanbase. I still think that his emotions are genuine. The thing that worries me is how some fans seem to thrive over seeing him break down in tears (*cough* MSB). It's nice of Mark to film those reactions and it's nice that people want to thank him, but after the 8 million video, I think that people need to wake up and realize that Mark is a human being with emotional limits. It bothered me how so many people were saying that the video made them so happy, yet it was clear that Mark was having a complete meltdown over his entire situation. I remember back when he had fewer subscribers, fewer videos made him break down in tears, and when he did cry, it was pure happiness, not stress and berating himself because he was stretched too far. I wish it was still like that, but it won't be until he is able to sort out his priorities and come to terms with his situation.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

PythonMonty96 wrote:I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I do think that Felix may be guarded because that's just how he is. I know that I'm pretty guarded with my emotions and it takes a lot for me to get worked up over something, so I can understand why he seems unemotional. Mark, on the other hand, is an open book when it comes to how he is feeling. I do think that he has changed emotionally over the past few months due to the enormous amount of stress that he has been under due to Me$$ and his growing (and sometimes out of control) fanbase. I still think that his emotions are genuine. The thing that worries me is how some fans seem to thrive over seeing him break down in tears (*cough* MSB). It's nice of Mark to film those reactions and it's nice that people want to thank him, but after the 8 million video, I think that people need to wake up and realize that Mark is a human being with emotional limits. It bothered me how so many people were saying that the video made them so happy, yet it was clear that Mark was having a complete meltdown over his entire situation. I remember back when he had fewer subscribers, fewer videos made him break down in tears, and when he did cry, it was pure happiness, not stress and berating himself because he was stretched too far. I wish it was still like that, but it won't be until he is able to sort out his priorities and come to terms with his situation.
I don't watch Felix's videos much, but I agree with what you've said. Just from listening to the BroKen podcast, I've seen that he keeps his emotions in check and reverts to snark before anything else. I think he's pretty cool in his own way, though.

Mark's breakdown aside, the way the fandom reacted to the video is another reason why I hated it so much. I could barely watch it once, but I've seen a few people on Twitter say that they've watched it multiple times and had a good cry over it each time. No! A good cry is something you have over a sappy movie, not over a real person falling apart. I think someone mentioned this before, but the fact that so few people could see that Mark was clearly broken up in that video shows how incapable the fandom has become of seeing him as human.

Speaking of MSB, I'm sure most of you already saw that he's trying to make the 9 mil video "lighter" than the previous ones with having participants eat sour/spicy food. I'm sure it'll be amusing and all, but I still hope Mark doesn't give him anymore attention by recording his reaction to it.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

PythonMonty96 wrote:I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I do think that Felix may be guarded because that's just how he is. I know that I'm pretty guarded with my emotions and it takes a lot for me to get worked up over something, so I can understand why he seems unemotional. Mark, on the other hand, is an open book when it comes to how he is feeling. I do think that he has changed emotionally over the past few months due to the enormous amount of stress that he has been under due to Me$$ and his growing (and sometimes out of control) fanbase. I still think that his emotions are genuine. The thing that worries me is how some fans seem to thrive over seeing him break down in tears (*cough* MSB). It's nice of Mark to film those reactions and it's nice that people want to thank him, but after the 8 million video, I think that people need to wake up and realize that Mark is a human being with emotional limits. It bothered me how so many people were saying that the video made them so happy, yet it was clear that Mark was having a complete meltdown over his entire situation. I remember back when he had fewer subscribers, fewer videos made him break down in tears, and when he did cry, it was pure happiness, not stress and berating himself because he was stretched too far. I wish it was still like that, but it won't be until he is able to sort out his priorities and come to terms with his situation.
Kierans wrote:I don't watch Felix's videos much, but I agree with what you've said. Just from listening to the BroKen podcast, I've seen that he keeps his emotions in check and reverts to snark before anything else. I think he's pretty cool in his own way, though.

Mark's breakdown aside, the way the fandom reacted to the video is another reason why I hated it so much. I could barely watch it once, but I've seen a few people on Twitter say that they've watched it multiple times and had a good cry over it each time. No! A good cry is something you have over a sappy movie, not over a real person falling apart. I think someone mentioned this before, but the fact that so few people could see that Mark was clearly broken up in that video shows how incapable the fandom has become of seeing him as human.

Speaking of MSB, I'm sure most of you already saw that he's trying to make the 9 mil video "lighter" than the previous ones with having participants eat sour/spicy food. I'm sure it'll be amusing and all, but I still hope Mark doesn't give him anymore attention by recording his reaction to it.
I think you guys hit the nail on the head, right there. They're only seeing what they want to see, and are shouting down anyone contradicting the perfect image of him they've created in their head no matter how fake it's become. He's doing his best to keep up with their expectations, but judging from the things he said at the recent cons, I think even he was concerned when people keep telling him they loved seeing him cry in that video. He even told someone he wanted those kinds of videos to be happier.

Okay yeah good that they're trying to keep the next video lighter, but...if it really is hot sauce or whatever, I hope those people (many of them underage) understand he already knows his body's limits. And sometimes he doesn't, which is why he now has that story of lying on the bathroom floor convinced he was going to die. If they're not prepared and don't know enough to take precautions, we may get another video of him crying just because he knows they could have seriously hurt themselves in the name of entertaining him.

PsychGrad0317
Talker
Talker

Post by PsychGrad0317 »

I would like to say that I don't understand why they haven't tried to make Mark laugh instead of making him cry, but I do understand it. It's harder to be clever and witty than it is to be touching. It takes the cheap way out, really, to try to make him cry instead of trying to make him laugh. And a hot sauce fan video? That's a terrible idea. It's just terrible. Make him laugh, but don't do it at the expense of others. Give him a chance to see some creativity, give him something inspiring, both of those are better than the hot sauce idea.

Edited to add: I didn't mean that to sound like I was attacking you, Kei. I realize that you meant the hot sauce thing as a suggestion of what they might do, not what they should do. Just wanted to clear that up.
Status update: Studying...Mostly. Sometimes. Except, you know, when I'm not.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

PsychGrad0317 wrote:I would like to say that I don't understand why they haven't tried to make Mark laugh instead of making him cry, but I do understand it. It's harder to be clever and witty than it is to be touching. It takes the cheap way out, really, to try to make him cry instead of trying to make him laugh. And a hot sauce fan video? That's a terrible idea. It's just terrible. Make him laugh, but don't do it at the expense of others. Give him a chance to see some creativity, give him something inspiring, both of those are better than the hot sauce idea.

Edited to add: I didn't mean that to sound like I was attacking you, Kei. I realize that you meant the hot sauce thing as a suggestion of what they might do, not what they should do. Just wanted to clear that up.
Naw it's good :) I appreciate the clarification though. I only said that judging from the video MSB put out to get people to join. Yeah he does say they can do sour if spicy is too much, but I'm hoping the fans are smart about it. Or at least the younger ones get adult supervision. Legit don't do it if you don't know how much to use (I'm kind of hoping they'll take his ice cream scoop story as a lesson) or have a heart condition or something.

Don't mind me, my mind just always goes to the worst case scenario with a fan overdoing it only to have their family sue MSB for medical bills and publicly drag Mark's name through the mud. Yeah that's dramatic, but tumblr. MSB thinks he's being clever by putting this disclaimer on his signup form:

"I understand that handling/consumption of extremely spicy or sour foods may cause physical injury and that James/markiplierSINGSbadly is NOT responsible for any food-related injuries or damages resulting from the handling or consumption of potentially dangerous foods. I will consult a doctor or parent/guardian if I have questions."

He also has an option for people to mention if they have medical issues preventing them from participating. All well and good, but the problem with this? His form doesn't ask their age. If anyone under 18 fills it in, it's invalid.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

He has an actual disclaimer for this thing? Interesting. Yeah, I can imagine some unsupervised kid chomping down on a ghost pepper and ending up in the hospital with their parents freaking out.

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

MSB is really gonna get these fans to consume spicy products for a milestone video?! What a jackass! Does he seriously think Mark would want to see his fans torturing themselves on his behalf?!

ritzcrackerz
Debater
Debater

Post by ritzcrackerz »

I'm hoping no one decides to use the Doritos Roulette for this. There's an article online that some school in the UK banned them after one student with asthma couldn't breathe from eating those chips. I agree though, I don't like this spicy thing. When I heard about this kid in the UK, all I can think about is what Mark said during Ear Biscuits when he was lying on the bathroom floor.

lastroseofmay
Learner
Learner

Post by lastroseofmay »

I'm just saying,
They're better off just autotuning everyone saying herb lore to the tune of yankee doodle than risking thier health for the sake of entertainment but that's just my random opinon.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

ilikecupcakes
Talker
Talker

Post by ilikecupcakes »

Well the tag is up in flames again. Now people are upset or annoyed over Mark's tweet about girls playing video games and they're bringing up that transmisogynist bullshit.
Oh tumblr what a wonderful place..

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

PythonMonty96
Debater
Debater

Post by PythonMonty96 »

ilikecupcakes wrote:Well the tag is up in flames again. Now people are upset or annoyed over Mark's tweet about girls playing video games and they're bringing up that transmisogynist bullshit.

I think that Mark should just stop going on Tumblr all together. It's just not worth it anymore. I'm surprised that Me$$ hasn't made a huge deal over his tweet, since she's such a dedicated SJW :roll:

ilikecupcakes
Talker
Talker

Post by ilikecupcakes »

PythonMonty96 wrote:
ilikecupcakes wrote:Well the tag is up in flames again. Now people are upset or annoyed over Mark's tweet about girls playing video games and they're bringing up that transmisogynist bullshit.

I think that Mark should just stop going on Tumblr all together. It's just not worth it anymore. I'm surprised that Me$$ hasn't made a huge deal over his tweet, since she's such a dedicated SJW :roll:
Me too.
Since her being a dedicated SJW why would she want to date a "transmisogynist" like Mark. Lol

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

How is his recent tweet related to transmisogyny? You would think Tumblr would be praising him for saying that girls play video games. They keep toting around the over 50% of gamers are women statistics (and not doing their research as usual) and are constantly praising a bunch of professional victims for supposedly standing up against an industry that they think hates women.

I'll admit it was kinda dumb for him to say that because only a very vocal minority will deny that and he ain't doing anyone a favor by stating the obvious, but it has nothing to do with the trans community or hating anyone in general.

WTF is wrong with Tumblr?!

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:How is his recent tweet related to transmisogyny? You would think Tumblr would be praising him for saying that girls play video games. They keep toting around the over 50% of gamers are women statistics (and not doing their research as usual) and are constantly praising a bunch of professional victims for supposedly standing up against an industry that they think hates women.

I'll admit it was kinda dumb for him to say that because only a very vocal minority will deny that and he ain't doing anyone a favor by stating the obvious, but it has nothing to do with the trans community or hating anyone in general.

WTF is wrong with Tumblr?!
Oh fuck me with spikes.

I thought someone said something to Mark and he was putting his thoughts out. I mean he's stating the obvious but I guess he wants to reinforce it.

I hate that site so much

Return to “Markiplier”