Branflakes
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Teeth Whitening?

Post by Branflakes »

Hellooooo!

So, long story short when I was about 10 years old (I'm 20 now) I got smacked in the face with a pool ball and two of my front teeth broke right in half. I have them filled in but I feel like the filled in parts never match my actual tooth color. Whenever I talk about it people always say they don't notice but it's really obvious to me where the real tooth stops and the fake parts start haha, the fake parts always look whiter to me.

So, now that I've given some background, here are my questions:
1) I want to start whitening my teeth a little bit in hopes that it'll be less noticeable. Would whitening make a difference or would it just make everything a few shades lighter but still not match?
2) If whitening would help what kinds of whitening products do you recommend? I'm a college student so my budget isn't too crazy but if something on the higher end would guarantee a good result I'd consider it.
3) If whitening wouldn't make a difference, I've also considered getting veneers. Anyone have any experience with those? The only thing is that they're pretty expensive and I feel like I'd have to get more than just two teeth done or else I'll have the same issue with color matching I'm having now haha.
4) Any other solutions you can think of???

derp
Stalker
Stalker

Re: Teeth Whitening?

Post by derp »

Hey!

So, using a whitening product would only affect your natural tooth, not the restoration that's there :) so it might work if the restoration is too light for your tooth, but it's hard to know. I'd recommend seeing your dentist and getting their advice!

You could get the restorations re-done to match your tooth colour now, but natural tooth colour does change anyway (with staining etc) which might be why you can see such a difference in colour. Maybe veneers would be a better way to not have to worry about it again, but like I said, I'd see your dentist about it :)

allpinkeverything
Informer
Informer

Post by allpinkeverything »

I have the exact same problem.

I was jumping on the bed when I was little and smacked my face into the headboard and my front tooth completely broke in half. The doctor did a filling and everything was ok until years later I needed a root canal.

About five years ago I had my teeth professionally Zoom whitened and the results were great but there was still a slight difference in color between the filling and my natural tooth. The only negative is that for me the whitening process is really painful and make your teeth super sensitive. The dentist told me before I had the whitening done that no one can ever finish.

I'm tired of my front tooth and my Dentist told me that my best option is to get a crown because what I have now could break at anytime. In addition I am getting 5 veeners on my top teeth so everything looks nice and proportionate.

I hope this helps you. I kick myself for breaking my front tooth in the first place. But I totally know how you feel.

starlalight
Debater
Debater

Post by starlalight »

Branflakes wrote:Hellooooo!

So, long story short when I was about 10 years old (I'm 20 now) I got smacked in the face with a pool ball and two of my front teeth broke right in half. I have them filled in but I feel like the filled in parts never match my actual tooth color. Whenever I talk about it people always say they don't notice but it's really obvious to me where the real tooth stops and the fake parts start haha, the fake parts always look whiter to me.

So, now that I've given some background, here are my questions:
1) I want to start whitening my teeth a little bit in hopes that it'll be less noticeable. Would whitening make a difference or would it just make everything a few shades lighter but still not match?
2) If whitening would help what kinds of whitening products do you recommend? I'm a college student so my budget isn't too crazy but if something on the higher end would guarantee a good result I'd consider it.
3) If whitening wouldn't make a difference, I've also considered getting veneers. Anyone have any experience with those? The only thing is that they're pretty expensive and I feel like I'd have to get more than just two teeth done or else I'll have the same issue with color matching I'm having now haha.
4) Any other solutions you can think of???
The most inexpensive ($1) and easiest product to whiten teeth is 3% hydrogen peroxide. The stuff at the store isn't food grade, so don't swallow it, but it's fine to just hold in your mouth and swish around and it will gradually whiten teeth. I use mine for about 5 minutes before I spit and rinse. You will notice a difference immediately. As for whether it will bleach the caps, I don't know. What are they made of? Try googling to find out if they can be bleached. If they can, your best bet might be some kind of cream or white strips that you can place strategically on your real teeth, which isn't as inexpensive, but might work better in your situation.

Return to “Dental Health”