sharonmakeupartist/Sharon Farrell

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

sharonmakeupartist/Sharon Farrell

Post by mustardmoon1 »

I used to like Sharon, but I get tired of her obsession with MAC. There are so many other great makeup lines out there. I realize she used to sell it, but seriously, give us a break with it!! I used to sell Lancome, but I'm not hung up on it. MAC is way overrated anyway.
Never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts you, know what? It was probably worth it........Leonardo DiCaprio

PearlyPearl
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: sharonmakeupartist

Post by PearlyPearl »

I used to love her videos, but lately she's had some rogue links both in the descriptions and on her website. :( The links are undoubtedly affiliate links, but they don't even go to the right address (the addresses are shortened with bitly so you can't see before clicking).
There were questions about this in the comments, but no reply from Sharon. And yes, you might paste the wrong link once... But this seems to be a (new?) pattern. Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed.

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

Kinda dissappointed in the abundance of sponsored videos on her channel lately. I was really eager to watch her hair tips video, cause her hair does look good only to find out it was sponsored by Schwarzkopf. Just like her skin routine the other day. Shame.
XOXO

PearlyPearl
Talker
Talker

Post by PearlyPearl »

Yeah, the title of the video screamed Wayne Goss to me, sad to hear it was sponsored to boot. :/ I really liked the hair videos Sharon did the in the past.

deville
Informer
Informer

Re: sharonmakeupartist/Sharon Farrell

Post by deville »

I hate to say it but I'm really starting to question her honesty and am sick to death of the sponsored vids. I've followed her from almost day one so it's such a shame. The recent 5 tips for growing hair was nothing but a commercial, no real helpful hints and the only products mentioned were from the sponsor - yet in her films she really never talked about these products at all.

She's done that so many times recently... All these "wow these products have transformed my skin, you need to try it!!!", she built up about this one product for weeks, finally showed us what it was... Practically the next vid was her (shower/morning) routine and she didn't use the product. I asked her in the questions why she didn't use it and give her kudos for answering but she said she only used it occasionally at night. This is a face wash we're talking about that I dropped a lot of money on because we have similar skin and I love the brand and trusted her recommendation (btw it didn't work for me and I used it correctly), so I was not impressed... NEXT vid, totally new skin care?! She did it with another product earlier, fortunately that one I did love. I should have known, because let's face it her skin is never really that great. I also wish she's embrace the pale a bit more, all the foundations she uses are too yellow, fake tan or no.

The hair one and the "office appropriate smokey eye" ones were the last straw really... I love all the office appropriate looks from people who've never worked in an office in their life.

Phew - rant over!

deville
Informer
Informer

Post by deville »

Sorry, I have to say it somewhere and I'm no way rude enough to put it on her channel as it's just my 2c, but her lip injections look so ridiculous! While they're somewhat small at least, her upper lip has that duck bill effect that is a dead give away, her mouth is not moving properly and (it could just be how she's drawn them on as she's already overdrawing her new larger lips), they're wonky. She looks totally out of proportion now. Her face is just too slim for fillers to not be obvious. I had been wondering lately if she's had something else done too as she has had a little bit of a "pillow cheek" look going on, but that could be down to water retention, different contouring, even a cold, but the lips were so obvious in her thumbnail I knew that was a real bruise and what it from from.

That said I appreciate her honesty on the subject and it was a really thoughtful and well thought out video. I particularly applaud her approaching domestic abuse as a topic and making her opinions and peoples' options clear.

**i have no issue with any form of cosmetic surgery and think people should do what makes them happy if they are an adult and have thought it through. I would even consider it myself, I am purely commenting on look and quality of results here. Though I admit I do think her lips actually totally suited her before and gave her that fresh 'nice person' look that's gone with these fillers.

PearlyPearl
Talker
Talker

Post by PearlyPearl »

deville wrote:I love all the office appropriate looks from people who've never worked in an office in their life.
Touché!

SeeMyVest

Post by SeeMyVest »

deville wrote:Sorry, I have to say it somewhere and I'm no way rude enough to put it on her channel as it's just my 2c, but her lip injections look so ridiculous! While they're somewhat small at least, her upper lip has that duck bill effect that is a dead give away, her mouth is not moving properly and (it could just be how she's drawn them on as she's already overdrawing her new larger lips), they're wonky. She looks totally out of proportion now. Her face is just too slim for fillers to not be obvious. I had been wondering lately if she's had something else done too as she has had a little bit of a "pillow cheek" look going on, but that could be down to water retention, different contouring, even a cold, but the lips were so obvious in her thumbnail I knew that was a real bruise and what it from from.

That said I appreciate her honesty on the subject and it was a really thoughtful and well thought out video. I particularly applaud her approaching domestic abuse as a topic and making her opinions and peoples' options clear.

**i have no issue with any form of cosmetic surgery and think people should do what makes them happy if they are an adult and have thought it through. I would even consider it myself, I am purely commenting on look and quality of results here. Though I admit I do think her lips actually totally suited her before and gave her that fresh 'nice person' look that's gone with these fillers.
I think if people want to make changes to themselves then he'll yeah go for it, but what the hell is up with this lip injection trend on YouTube lately? So many beauty vloggers are getting them (a lot deny it so props to her for being honest).I didn't see Sharon as one to get them personally, but if she's happy good on her.

deville
Informer
Informer

Post by deville »

Umwhat wrote: I think if people want to make changes to themselves then he'll yeah go for it, but what the hell is up with this lip injection trend on YouTube lately? So many beauty vloggers are getting them (a lot deny it so props to her for being honest).I didn't see Sharon as one to get them personally, but if she's happy good on her.
I agree and I think good on her for being honest, however I never said I had an issue with her doing it, just that I didn't think she needed them and they simply don't look good, natural or in proportion. They look duck-billish and wonky.

imaginarypants
Learner
Learner

Post by imaginarypants »

I kind of think the duckbill effect is mostly because she still overdraws her lips. She didn't drastically get her lips done -- it's pretty subtle as far as lip injections go, but why on earth would you keep overdrawing them when you've gotten yourself fuller lips via injection already? I don't get the logic.

milanese15
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by milanese15 »

deville wrote:
Umwhat wrote: I think if people want to make changes to themselves then he'll yeah go for it, but what the hell is up with this lip injection trend on YouTube lately? So many beauty vloggers are getting them (a lot deny it so props to her for being honest).I didn't see Sharon as one to get them personally, but if she's happy good on her.
I agree and I think good on her for being honest, however I never said I had an issue with her doing it, just that I didn't think she needed them and they simply don't look good, natural or in proportion. They look duck-billish and wonky.
I've read that the thinner your lips, the more difficult it is to get that va va voom look. She started with quite thin lips, so that duck thing is just an inevitable side effect. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do when you're starting with a small lip. tbh, I kind of feel like she's somebody who should just accept having thin lips, because it's pretty much impossible for her to get full lips. This slightly plumper, unnatural look is kind of the best case scenario for her. But at least they'll fade.

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

I don't really mind her lip injections, because imo they don't look that crazy, they're pretty subtle (and I'm usually not the one to advocate for any sort of medical alterations to one's features). However I don't like that she still overdraws her lips, in fact I hate it when anyone overdraws their lips. It always looks unnatural and fake, no matter how hard you try.

That cream bronzer in her latest tutorial kinda had an oompa loompa effect on her. I don't know why she likes these warm shades so much, she ends up looking like an orange blob.
XOXO

deville
Informer
Informer

Post by deville »

I agree with the comments on continuing to overdraw. It seems like they're still not big enough for her which is a worry.

Yes, they are not insane (i.e. Kylie Jenner) but I was surprised how she said she felt her lips weren't in proportion before, when they absolutely were. It's the new lips that they seem out of proportion. Actually (don't shoot me ladies), even though Kylie's lips were ridiculous and she's too young, they do kind of suit her :? Sharon actually suited her thinner lips better.

I think the biggest thing for me is that they've hardened the look of her face. Her facial expressions were what drew me to her in the first place because she seemed so "human" and fun. I've been subbed pretty much since day one but I've been going off her for a while with all the subliminal advertising she's been doing and now that I can't do anything but stare at her lips it's just time for me to unsub I think :|

I don't think that the frozen duck bill is a given with injections - I have seen injections done where they were so perfect you could never have guessed.

Lol @ the Oompa Loompa comment. Yes, she's always so yellow/orange! Again I think she looks her best with her natural skin tone, toned down makeup and original features.

Anyway, that's my 2c. I'm going to finish ragging on her as she does seem like a lovely person, her channel's just no longer for me.

lizaevie90
Learner
Learner

Post by lizaevie90 »

She has too many undisclosed-preengagement sponsored videos and also I found one day after liking on of her videos that I was now subscribed to her mailing list!

AquaSarah16
Learner
Learner

Post by AquaSarah16 »

She looks so much fresher and younger in her more recent videos with her natural skin tone. Anyone else think the false tan ages her like 20 years?

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

^ I agree so much, I found the lack of bronzer extremely refreshing in the past few videos! Her latest Emma Stone-inspired look is stunning!!
XOXO

weetabix
Debater
Debater

Post by weetabix »

I just wish she'd stop it with the hot pink and fuschia shades. She's a redhead and she would look better with pale skin and warmer shades on her lips and cheeks. I can't deal with the clashing. Come on, Sharon, there aren't enough gingers on YouTube. We need help with shades, but if I bought the shades you wear, I'd look like a negative of a peacock's tail.

Edie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Edie »

I still kind of like Sharon, but the sponsored stuff is crap. I never watch her favorites because they're full of it. And she is on the AU guru bandwagon now that she's moved. I wish she would go home. She was so much nicer in Ireland.

AquaSarah16
Learner
Learner

Post by AquaSarah16 »

weetabix wrote:I just wish she'd stop it with the hot pink and fuschia shades. She's a redhead and she would look better with pale skin and warmer shades on her lips and cheeks. I can't deal with the clashing. Come on, Sharon, there aren't enough gingers on YouTube. We need help with shades, but if I bought the shades you wear, I'd look like a negative of a peacock's tail.
I actually think the brighter lip colors suit her and liven up her complexion when she leaves herself be pale. I was watching one of her older tutorials recently, I think from about two years ago and man what a night and day difference not only in how she applies makeup but her personality. She seemed so much softer and kinder back then and now I feel like she is slowly trying to become more bubbly or entertaining to rake in more subscribers and view counts. Makes me really disappointed as she is still one of my faves.

I will say about her hair too, I miss when she had the more true copper colored hair, sometimes I feel like she is kind of clueless as to what looks good on her. With her more slightly green toned blondeish/ginger hair (yes the blonde bits are greenish) pinks on her eyes and general rose tones just kind of emphasize how god awful the green undertone in her hair is. Same with the kind of warm plum and bruise colored eyshadows she uses a lot of the time, they just aren't flattering. One tutorial that comes to mind is the one where she showed how to cover up her lip injection bruise. The eyelook she had on in that video had the ugly bruise colors I am referring to.

And one last thing I wanna mention is she applies her eyeshadow so awkwardly sometimes, she has deeper set eyes and the way she applies the eyeshadow on her lid in that wedge shape, when she blends it, it often leaves this weird hollow space near the inner part of her crease where the eyeshadow just isn't there. Watch her lastest tutorial on her channel to see what I am referrencing. When her eyes are open you can't really see the blank area with no eyeshadow but when she closes them you totally can and it just looks really off to me to have the outter part of your crease with loads of eyshadow and then have this strip of flesh that has no shadow on it.

Also can we just discuss how god awful that sweater tutorial was, the look itself wasn't bad but that makeup geek eyeshadow was such crap and to see it be such crap in action, kinda made me lose my respect for her opinion cause she gave those foiled shadows a glowing review when she got sent them. Guess Sharon is in sellout territory now too. :/

imaginarypants
Learner
Learner

Post by imaginarypants »

Her recent 5 tips for healthy skin is a bullshit way to sucker people into a sponsored post. She doesn't say it's sponsored anywhere in the video but when I realised she was exclusively using Olay products I scrolled down to have a look and she slid in the sponsorship and pretended that Olay gave her beautiful skin without letting people know that her opinion is definitely biased about it because they're giving her a wad of cash. There's doing sponsored content which most beauty gurus do, and there's doing sponsored content and not being honest and trying to deceive people about it and Sharon's definitely felt like the latter to me. At least some other people I follow, for all their flaws actually say, "this is sponsored" or "in partnership with" (which is fancy bullshit language for SPONSORED AS FUCK, but at least they're saying so).

Return to “P-T”