Car Leases?

FFL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Car Leases?

Post by FFL »

In July of this year, my car died. My boss (now ex-boss, who is...manipulative and controlling) pretty much steamrolled me into getting a new car. I think she had good intentions, but it all happened so fast...anyway, that's a long story.

I no longer have a job. I live with my parents now and am searching for a job but haven't had any luck so far (small town). Not only can I not afford my car payment because I have no job, but I also realized that the car, while great to drive and great gas mileage, is not what I really want.

I have a 2012 Ford Fiesta. It's leased. I couldn't get a loan because I'm young and don't have enough credit built up (or something). My lease is for 39 months and it is $279 a month. Looking now, I really don't know why my monthly payment is so high. Toyota leases their Rav4 for the same amount down for $70 cheaper a month. :-/

Anyway, from what I've researched, the only way to get out of a lease without paying outrageous cancellation fees is to transfer the lease. I'm having problems doing that. I've asked people I know if they need a car, or if anyone THEY know need a car, I've posted on the Craigslists around here...still nothing. Has anyone ever used a lease transfer service? Is transferring the lease really the only option?

Kleineganz

Re: Car Leases?

Post by Kleineganz »

I leased my first 2 cars, and the 2nd one I got out of the lease early because of a special promotion that Saturn was running. By turning it in early, they gave me an awesome deal ($0 down, 0% financing) on the purhase of any new vehicle on the lot. I ended. Up with a monthly payment identical to my lease, but I got to actually own a car.

That being said, I don't know any other way out of a lease.

iamamop
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Car Leases?

Post by iamamop »

I believe you can claim mitigating circumstances to get out of the lease. They'll give you a hard time about it and will blame you for the situation, but stay strong against them.

That's why I never recommend leasing a car. If you buy a car on loan, you can at least sell it should you run into trouble. If you buy a beater car there is no loan. But if you lease a car getting out of it can be a nightmare. If you have any evidence that your boss pressured you into it (like emails) that will help your case.

Return to “Cars”