Weight loss surgery (WLS)

cookiehoney
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weight loss surgery (WLS)

Post by cookiehoney »

Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you had weight loss surgery or know any family or friends who had weight loss surgery. I am considering it and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I'm 20 years old and I have been over weight since I was three. I work out four days a week two hours each time and eat healthy but I dont seen to lose more than ten pounds at a time and I always end up gaining it back. I dont know what to do anymore and my doctor recommned I look into weight loss surgery.

[yoonicorn]

Re: Weight loss surgery (WLS)

Post by [yoonicorn] »

cookiehoney wrote:Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you had weight loss surgery or know any family or friends who had weight loss surgery. I am considering it and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I'm 20 years old and I have been over weight since I was three. I work out four days a week two hours each time and eat healthy but I dont seen to lose more than ten pounds at a time and I always end up gaining it back. I dont know what to do anymore and my doctor recommned I look into weight loss surgery.
I'm 18, I had a gastric bypass in February. It's been hard but it's so worth it. I'm so happy I got it and haven't looked back since. I just turned 2 months post-op and have lost about 70lbs so far. I think either the sleeve or bypass would be good for you. I got the bypass because it's reversible but what surgery you choose or whether or not you even get it is ultimately up to you. If you choose to go through with it, the surgeon will explain all them to you and help you make an informed decision.
My only regret is not getting it sooner.

cookiehoney
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by cookiehoney »

I'm 18, I had a gastric bypass in February. It's been hard but it's so worth it. I'm so happy I got it and haven't looked back since. I just turned 2 months post-op and have lost about 70lbs so far. I think either the sleeve or bypass would be good for you. I got the bypass because it's reversible but what surgery you choose or whether or not you even get it is ultimately up to you. If you choose to go through with it, the surgeon will explain all them to you and help you make an informed decision.
congratulations on your surgery! I was planning on getting the lap band but the success rate for that is so low so now I'm thinking about the sleeve. I'm a bit scared for mutiple reasons but I think I'm going to go through with it. I already made the call to the surgical weight loss center and they say thats the hardest step.

[yoonicorn]

Post by [yoonicorn] »

cookiehoney wrote:
congratulations on your surgery! I was planning on getting the lap band but the success rate for that is so low so now I'm thinking about the sleeve. I'm a bit scared for mutiple reasons but I think I'm going to go through with it. I already made the call to the surgical weight loss center and they say thats the hardest step.
Thanks! I don't know much about the lap band but I can't say I've heard many good things about it. The sleeve is the best option for young people because you still have the option of bypassing it if for some reason the sleeve didn't work (I'm sure it will). If you want to ask any questions, feel free to PM me. I hope everything goes well!

chunkemonke
Talker
Talker

Post by chunkemonke »

Theres a youtuber who had WLS I think late December 2013, or early 2014, and she documented pre, after, and progress, and maintenance! She talks about it in depth, and everything. I'll come back and edit this and link her once I find her.

cookiehoney
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by cookiehoney »

chunkemonke wrote:Theres a youtuber who had WLS I think late December 2013, or early 2014, and she documented pre, after, and progress, and maintenance! She talks about it in depth, and everything. I'll come back and edit this and link her once I find her.
I've watched a few youtubers talk about their expericence with WLS but one thing I noticed with them is they tend to be older (30s-50s) married and or have children. I would love to get the perspective of a younger single person who is going through this. It would be interesting to hear how they emotionally deal with it. But I would love to review the youtube channel if you have the link.

wbread
Debater
Debater

Post by wbread »

I was overweight since before I was born :) had the lapband since I was 19 and I lost about 60kg, but I recommend you to exhaust all options before going for it. Try the keto diet or take a strong appetite suppressant or just merely eat one meal a day. check thyroid hormone levels. How overweight are you?

[yoonicorn]

Post by [yoonicorn] »

wbread wrote:I was overweight since before I was born :) had the lapband since I was 19 and I lost about 60kg, but I recommend you to exhaust all options before going for it. Try the keto diet or take a strong appetite suppressant or just merely eat one meal a day. check thyroid hormone levels. How overweight are you?
Don't do either of the bolded. You will without a doubt, gain the weight back eventually because you cannot live on one meal a day or take diet suppressants for the rest of your life. And you will end up with an eating disorder. What a stupid thing to say. SMH.

cookiehoney
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by cookiehoney »

frickyoutubers wrote:
wbread wrote:I was overweight since before I was born :) had the lapband since I was 19 and I lost about 60kg, but I recommend you to exhaust all options before going for it. Try the keto diet or take a strong appetite suppressant or just merely eat one meal a day. check thyroid hormone levels. How overweight are you?
Don't do either of the bolded. You will without a doubt, gain the weight back eventually because you cannot live on one meal a day or take diet suppressants for the rest of your life. And you will end up with an eating disorder. What a stupid thing to say. SMH.

Oh trust me I know when I was in high school I use to eat one meal a day and take diet pills and all that did was make me very sick and I gained a lot of weight plus I was extremely miserable. I have to lose 140lbs (63kg)

[yoonicorn]

Post by [yoonicorn] »

cookiehoney wrote:
frickyoutubers wrote:

Oh trust me I know when I was in high school I use to eat one meal a day and take diet pills and all that did was make me very sick and I gained a lot of weight plus I was extremely miserable. I have to lose 140lbs (63kg)
Yeah, I did the same. Not only did a gain all the weight back plus another 60lbs BUT I almost died from diet pill abuse.

Well to put it into perspective I'm almost 3 months out from my bypass and have lost half of that after having a food addiction for at least 8 years (and a severe one at that). The surgery doesn't allow you to crash diet or binge. If you follow a plan (or i got a recipe book from my surgeon's office and basically just eat what's in that book) and do the recommended amount of excercise, the weight literally falls off.

I think the best thing would be to have an appointment with a surgeon and tell them your situation. They will tell you if they believe wls is right for you and if it is, will help you make an informed choice on what surgery would be best for you.

Return to “Health”