10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

savetheempire
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

Post by savetheempire »

I honestly think this video is being blown out of proportion. NYC is not representative of America. I don't care what people say. Manhattan is a small island shoved full with all different sorts of people. Things happen there literally do not happen anywhere else.

I lived there for 3 years for college so I'm not just talking out of my ass. I've also lived in the South, Southwest and New England. No where is as bad as new york.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

savetheempire wrote:I honestly think this video is being blown out of proportion. NYC is not representative of America. I don't care what people say. Manhattan is a small island shoved full with all different sorts of people. Things happen there literally do not happen anywhere else.

I lived there for 3 years for college so I'm not just talking out of my ass. I've also lived in the South, Southwest and New England. No where is as bad as new york.
Sorry, but this will happen in any big city. Happened to me all the time in Chicago and San Francisco.

ruby_x
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by ruby_x »

Kleineganz wrote:
savetheempire wrote:I honestly think this video is being blown out of proportion. NYC is not representative of America. I don't care what people say. Manhattan is a small island shoved full with all different sorts of people. Things happen there literally do not happen anywhere else.

Sorry, but this will happen in any big city. Happened to me all the time in Chicago and San Francisco.
Yup I second that. San Francisco is almost bad as NYC

FoodandFashion
Informer
Informer

Post by FoodandFashion »

Downtown Los Angeles is the same.

fries
Talker
Talker

Post by fries »

VeronicaSawyer wrote:Someone recreated the video in Auckland (New Zealand):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/abagg/a-woman-d ... land-and-n

Very different.
The smaller towns in NZ are very different from the main cities. I've had men following me through town a few times, men who wouldn't leave me alone on public transport a few too many times, and just recently had "white c*nt" yelled at me, though maybe that's a different issue.

daisy16
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by daisy16 »

What? NYC may not be representative of America, but neither are just YOUR experiences. You can't say it doesn't happen anywhere else or as bad as anywhere else just based off of your or a couple of your friends experiences alone. I don't even live in a big city like NYC, Boston, Philly, etc and exactly what's happened in this video has happened to me. Does it happen everywhere? No, probably not. Does it ONLY happen in NYC? Not even close. Obnoxious, shitty men aren't just confined to Manhattan.

honeylovexo
Learner
Learner

Post by honeylovexo »

The reaction to this video really bothered me. Not because of the actual issue, but the fact that I generally wouldn't expect anyone to talk to me in public like that, especially if I were only passing by. I live in the UK and over here we tend to keep to ourselves.

I went to London last spring for an interview and I accidentally wondered into a really bad area near Portobello Market and I was approached by a drug dealer who pressured me into a conversation, took my number and put his arm around me and tried leading me into a secluded area. There's a lot more to the story, but I'm very cautious about who I talk to now and I would find it extremely strange if some random guy approached me on the street, especially if he was only interested in me because of how I looked.
Maybe it's different over there.

conflate
Informer
Informer

Post by conflate »

honeylovexo wrote:The reaction to this video really bothered me. Not because of the actual issue, but the fact that I generally wouldn't expect anyone to talk to me in public like that, especially if I were only passing by. I live in the UK and over here we tend to keep to ourselves.

I went to London last spring for an interview and I accidentally wondered into a really bad area near Portobello Market and I was approached by a drug dealer who pressured me into a conversation, took my number and put his arm around me and tried leading me into a secluded area. There's a lot more to the story, but I'm very cautious about who I talk to now and I would find it extremely strange if some random guy approached me on the street, especially if he was only interested in me because of how I looked.
Maybe it's different over there.
I live in London and it's pretty normal here. Especially if it's a group of men... I cross the street all the time to avoid walking past them because they will always say something. Almost all of my girlfriends complain about having to do that, too. On Friday night I was on the train coming back from work and a guy sat next to me and kept speaking to me for my entire ride home (about 30 mins), asking for my number at least 20 times even though I kept saying no, looking at my phone, not really answering questions, etc. Seemed to have no effect. Especially annoying since there was nowhere for me to go.

I think it could be a big city thing? Maybe it's just the vibe of larger cities, or simply down to population density. I dunno.

honeylovexo
Learner
Learner

Post by honeylovexo »

Perhaps! Probably has a lot to do with the area, too. I was never approached in Notting Hill/Kensington.

Anonimal
Talker
Talker

Post by Anonimal »

honeylovexo wrote:Perhaps! Probably has a lot to do with the area, too. I was never approached in Notting Hill/Kensington.
I agree that the area has a lot to do with it. Catcalling usually occurs more often in lower-class, high-population areas.

badgal

Post by badgal »

I live in a rural area near to Southampton in the UK, and when I was younger and walking/taking the bus everywhere, I was harassed by men ALL THE TIME. The only difference is probably that they would keep their distance and not actually try to talk to me, thank god. Even today - and I would say I'm average looking and never show any flesh - it's rare for me to go out and not be stared at or have some comment or whistle. People would be surprised at what the men are like in such a quiet place compared to London. They are like dogs on heat :?

Return to “News and Current Events”