Mums To Be Check In!

Nixie
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mums To Be Check In!

Post by Nixie »

I'll only get to find out on November 14, at 20.3 weeks... Which is the norm in my area. You only get two ultra sounds, one around 12 weeks and one around 20 weeks. You could get more, but you'd have to pay for them, where as those two U/S are free (aka covered by health insurance you pay through your taxes).
ForeverGracie

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

surely you could get more if you really wanted to, like be a bit hysterical and demand one :) I know that's what people do here in UK when it comes to getting tests, exaggerate their symptoms and stand their ground. Not sure mummies to be would want to jinx anything though.

Fabulous Chronicles
Learner
Learner

Post by Fabulous Chronicles »

iRawr wrote:Congrats to you ladies! I couldn't begin to imagine how it must feel like to have a life growing inside of you.

Is it scary at the same time, to be going through pregnancy? I've constantly had nightmares of dying while giving birth. To the point that I am now scarred for life and refuse to ever go through pregnancy whenever I'm married. Although, whenever I see a cute baby, I'm squealing for one too lol. But I'm just too scared of going through the pain.. Is it really as scary as I think it might be? ><
Congrats to all the pregnant ladies! :)

It's a bit of a journey that you go on with your baby. But that is only the beginning. The pregnancy seems to last a long time at the time. Every birth is different and it is true what they say. You do forget the pain and everything else that goes along with it as soon as you hold your little one. I was induced over 3 days, ended up with an emergency c-section but I would have done it all again in a heartbeat for my baby girl.

So much emphasis is put on pregnancy and delivery (especially with your first), it's the bit that comes after that's the most important. It's an absolute joy to look after and get to know your baby :))

Nixie
Learner
Learner

Post by Nixie »

Alka wrote:surely you could get more if you really wanted to, like be a bit hysterical and demand one :) I know that's what people do here in UK when it comes to getting tests, exaggerate their symptoms and stand their ground. Not sure mummies to be would want to jinx anything though.
The fact that you would even suggest this makes me uneasy. The system is overloaded as is, which is why if I really wanted another u/s I would go to a private clinic and pay for it, instead of taking up an appointment for someone who might really need it, such as a high risk pregnancy patient.

Ethics. What the world needs now.
ForeverGracie

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

actually I was suggesting what I heard from people that ended up getting tests they wouldn't get unless they exaggerated and ended up having surgeries to correct whatever needed to be addressed. I myself experienced this when the dietician and GP didn't pay attention to the bloodtest I already have made them do (situation required continues bloodtest every 6 months which I found out about when I asked for copies of my bloodwork 2 years later), so please, let's not start with the overloaded system and all that, as I pay taxes and am entitled to the care I'm not getting, so I will do whatever needs to be done. the same goes for pregnant ladies, I don't think having 2 scans enough to be honest, and high risk pregnancy will get an appointment anyway, so suggest it to the doctors to have more ethics and keep on top of current research and not dismiss people. suggesting going private is just not something most people need to do, as they already pay so much NI that is wasted on a lot of unnecessary crap like 20 grand worth of gastric bypass for people who refuse to look after their diet and private is another money making machine that charges extortionate amounts. And before you go all judgemental again I'd like to say I used to use private more than NHS (80/20),but have changed my mind lately as I'm not made out of money and I already pay for NHS.

whoa

Post by whoa »

I would absolutely hate only getting 2 ultrasounds because I am counting down the days to get another ha. I have already had 2 and will have another next week. How much do the ultrasounds over there usually cost?

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

whoa wrote:I would absolutely hate only getting 2 ultrasounds because I am counting down the days to get another ha. I have already had 2 and will have another next week. How much do the ultrasounds over there usually cost?
that kind of care makes for healthy babies.

my friend had to terminate her pregnancy at 12 weeks because the foetus had a birth defect... what if they miss it on first ultrasound and by week 20 it's too late to terminate? that birth defects is hard to spot. sorry to bring a bunch of negativity ladies.

Barfy
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Barfy »

9 weeks 4 days here with baby #2 :D

Nixie
Learner
Learner

Post by Nixie »

Alka wrote:actually I was suggesting what I heard from people that ended up getting tests they wouldn't get unless they exaggerated and ended up having surgeries to correct whatever needed to be addressed. I myself experienced this when the dietician and GP didn't pay attention to the bloodtest I already have made them do (situation required continues bloodtest every 6 months which I found out about when I asked for copies of my bloodwork 2 years later), so please, let's not start with the overloaded system and all that, as I pay taxes and am entitled to the care I'm not getting, so I will do whatever needs to be done. the same goes for pregnant ladies, I don't think having 2 scans enough to be honest, and high risk pregnancy will get an appointment anyway, so suggest it to the doctors to have more ethics and keep on top of current research and not dismiss people. suggesting going private is just not something most people need to do, as they already pay so much NI that is wasted on a lot of unnecessary crap like 20 grand worth of gastric bypass for people who refuse to look after their diet and private is another money making machine that charges extortionate amounts. And before you go all judgemental again I'd like to say I used to use private more than NHS (80/20),but have changed my mind lately as I'm not made out of money and I already pay for NHS.
Let's agree to disagree.

For you to tell me your view of public vs private in YOUR country / area, fine. But please, don't even start thinking that the situation in MY country / province is the same as yours. Thank you.

As for the risk of a birth defect, some of us don't judge a baby by its "defects", but by its value. Life, no matter how "defective", is valuable to me. If my child is born with only an arm, so be it. I will still love him / her.

That being said, I did go through bloodwork, piss tests and U/S, and all is well with my 14 weeks and 5 days pregnancy, ie all body parts are there, heart is beating well, brain seems to be developping as it is supposed to, no Down's syndrome, I just tested my blood sugar levels yesterday (that drink tastes like shite, doesn't it?! Flat orange crush with a ton of sugar, brra) and the results came back normal. I don't smoke, didn't drink a single drop of alcohol, coffee, tea or pop, took my Materna every single day, never missed an appointment and have wonderful support from both family and friends. We're both thrilled, and listen to its heart every night.

Healthy mama, healthy baby. Beating the odds a day at a time.
ForeverGracie

YummyDollie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YummyDollie »

I don't mind that I will only get one more ultrasound when I get to 20 weeks because I'm very grateful for the nhs and free dental care throughout pregnancy and for one year after the birth, it means I can focus on getting on with life whilst been pregnant and not become obsessive over getting top many scans every time I get a pain or twinge, surley that just leads to a stressed out pregnant lady?! I'm not trying to start an argument simply putting my point across :D maybe I don't understand because I've never had to pay for health care so just appreciate what we have in the UK with the NHS forgive me for spelling/grammar mistakes I'm on my phone :-)

YummyDollie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YummyDollie »

Nixie wrote:
Alka wrote:actually I was suggesting what I heard from people that ended up getting tests they wouldn't get unless they exaggerated and ended up having surgeries to correct whatever needed to be addressed. I myself experienced this when the dietician and GP didn't pay attention to the bloodtest I already have made them do (situation required continues bloodtest every 6 months which I found out about when I asked for copies of my bloodwork 2 years later), so please, let's not start with the overloaded system and all that, as I pay taxes and am entitled to the care I'm not getting, so I will do whatever needs to be done. the same goes for pregnant ladies, I don't think having 2 scans enough to be honest, and high risk pregnancy will get an appointment anyway, so suggest it to the doctors to have more ethics and keep on top of current research and not dismiss people. suggesting going private is just not something most people need to do, as they already pay so much NI that is wasted on a lot of unnecessary crap like 20 grand worth of gastric bypass for people who refuse to look after their diet and private is another money making machine that charges extortionate amounts. And before you go all judgemental again I'd like to say I used to use private more than NHS (80/20),but have changed my mind lately as I'm not made out of money and I already pay for NHS.
Let's agree to disagree.

For you to tell me your view of public vs private in YOUR country / area, fine. But please, don't even start thinking that the situation in MY country / province is the same as yours. Thank you.

As for the risk of a birth defect, some of us don't judge a baby by its "defects", but by its value. Life, no matter how "defective", is valuable to me. If my child is born with only an arm, so be it. I will still love him / her.

That being said, I did go through bloodwork, piss tests and U/S, and all is well with my 14 weeks and 5 days pregnancy, ie all body parts are there, heart is beating well, brain seems to be developping as it is supposed to, no Down's syndrome, I just tested my blood sugar levels yesterday (that drink tastes like shite, doesn't it?! Flat orange crush with a ton of sugar, brra) and the results came back normal. I don't smoke, didn't drink a single drop of alcohol, coffee, tea or pop, took my Materna every single day, never missed an appointment and have wonderful support from both family and friends. We're both thrilled, and listen to its heart every night.

HERE HERE! Totally agree with your post :D

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

Nixie wrote:
Let's agree to disagree.

never though that your situation is the same, couldn't care less to be honest. you're the one feeling the need to comment on my explanation why i said what I said, 'thank you'. and if all life is so valuable to you why bother testing? get off the high horse lady, so unnecessary.

and how stupid is not to evaluate the birth defects? a lot of babies with those suffer like hell, and some die at a very young age. your whole post reeks of self defence when could have just accepted what another person has to say :grrrr:

Nixie
Learner
Learner

Post by Nixie »

Are you aware that with those tests, if my child had been, let's say, lacking certain nutriments, or if I had gestanional diabetes that could endanger both the baby and I, I could have prevented illness and perhaps death? I did the tests to prevent another miscarriage.

I don't think you can understand that, as you said, you never had children. I'm not self defending, you were the one to imply that frequent U/S made for healthy babies, also implying that those of us who get the recommended two (10-12 weeks for NT, which you can only effectively measure at that time and 20-22 weeks for morphology) would not have healthy babies when really, what would you know about that?

I updated about my pregnancy since that is the point of the thread, but I didn't intend it for you. At all!

You made it clear you wouldn't mind abusing the system, I said I didn't agree, you started spewing your little speech, and I replied. Take the heat or get out of the kitchen. Even better, get out of a thread dedicated to happy, healthy, maybe worried and scared also, mothers to be.
ForeverGracie

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Personally, I always err on the side of caution. There haven't really been enough studies on the safety of ultrasounds for me to feel comfortable having more than 2-3. I don't have children yet, but I do ridiculous amounts of study on pregnancy and childbirth; I almost pursued midwifery as my profession. I've read a few studies that found correlations between frequent ultrasounds and a lower birth weight, delayed speech, and some other problems, but, none of these studies are conclusive. However, the lack of evidence regarding something having potential risks doesn't necessarily mean there absolutely are no risks, IMO. There may still be effects that are so small they are undetectable, or effects that are slow to develop and might not become evident until long after birth. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I think everything should be used in moderation, especially relatively new technologies that haven't been thoroughly examined or tested. The 12 and/or 20 week screenings + blood testing detect most (if any) abnormalities, Down's syndrome, etc., so I don't really see the point of getting an excessive amount of them, unless of course it is a high risk pregnancy. Those are just my thoughts though, hopefully I don't offend anybody. :P

whoa

Post by whoa »

I don't think only have the required ultrasounds will lead an unhealthy baby at all. There was a time when women got maybe 1 ultrasound if they were lucky and they have healthy babies. I am glad that all the mommies in this thread are having healthy babies because that is really all that matters!!
I can't wait for my appintment tuesday! I will hopefully find out if we are having a little girl or boy. Hopefully that will make picking a name that much easier because right now it is so hard to narrow down.

BeautyBelle
Learner
Learner

Post by BeautyBelle »

I am almost 16 week with number one baby! Husband very excite! I watch much baby video on You Tubes and hoard diaper in basemint like crazy woman ha ha ha.

Return to “Pregnancy”