Michele1218 General Thread Part 1

fiercelyprivate
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michele1218 General Thread Part 1

Post by fiercelyprivate »

JustAnotherHater wrote:but she came back for the free products, commission for affiliate links and money from her YT partnership. She didn't come back because she "enjoyed" it. She said in her exit video that she hated what the YT beauty community became because of sponsorships and such, but YT beauty community hasn't gotten better, but the contrary.

She felt wrong about them because those sponsored videos she's done gotten her a lot of negativity. She would do a sponsored review, and she would be opening the product for the first time. I remember in her NYC sponsored review, the products were sealed. The products weren't even touched before or swatched on her hand. She would obviously give a positive review and that's about it. She SHOULD feel bad about that. At least test out the products first or even swatch them.

If she didn't care about the money, why is her freaking sigma affiliate link is on every goddamn video? even in her labor and delivery video. I don't believe for a second that she didn't come back for the money
I agree. I don't believe for one minute that Michele left YT because of what the beauty community 'had become'. She was part of whatever it had become herself. What drove her away was the backlash she was receiving for doing sponsored videos. She uses YT to make commission of every single thing she talks about. Everything is an affiliate link. And she even became a Stella & Dot stylist (whatever that means) in an effort to earn money of subscriber sales. She definitely is in it for the money.

allure
Informer
Informer

Post by allure »

It makes me sad, because she used to be my favorite guru before she became the money hungry self-absorbed crazy eyebrowed hoarder that she is now.

cathybot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by cathybot »

Hello all, I'm quite new here but have been reading these forums for years as a lurker!

I unsubscribed from Michelle a while back (before her wedding) because a) why would I take makeup advice from someone who obviously cannot apply it and b) her fake persona and hypocrisy made me infuriated. Every once in a while I go back and browse because I love Jake. I'm a sucker for animals in videos (like most of the internet it seems), but she hasn't changed, just gotten worse. Her voice now feels like nails on a chalkboard to me.

heyheyheynow
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by heyheyheynow »

cathybot wrote:Hello all, I'm quite new here but have been reading these forums for years as a lurker!

I unsubscribed from Michelle a while back (before her wedding) because a) why would I take makeup advice from someone who obviously cannot apply it and b) her fake persona and hypocrisy made me infuriated. Every once in a while I go back and browse because I love Jake. I'm a sucker for animals in videos (like most of the internet it seems), but she hasn't changed, just gotten worse. Her voice now feels like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Michelle was one of the first YT gurus I subbed to, and I liked her long after I got sick of everyone else. But I finally unsubbed when she posted a 14-minute outfit of the day, and some 25-minute video of a nail polish comparison or some such nonsense. You have got to be freaking kidding me! I watch plenty of long videos, but I expect them to have ACTUAL CONTENT.

xxkath
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by xxkath »

Was there any point in her even showing the colours on her right hand? They were nothing like pink parka. One was a magenta and 2 of them looked orange. Her nails looked really bad too, like the colours were dull and splotchy.

Fatma
Learner
Learner

Post by Fatma »

Her nail polish application is horrible :?

xoxobebe82
Learner
Learner

Post by xoxobebe82 »

xxkath wrote:Was there any point in her even showing the colours on her right hand? They were nothing like pink parka. One was a magenta and 2 of them looked orange. Her nails looked really bad too, like the colours were dull and splotchy.
She probably only showed them because she got them for FREE from that Beauty Clutch website... She even said it herself. And what bets she gets a commission on anything anyone ends up ordering from that site.
Same shit, different video...

justanotherhater

Post by justanotherhater »

xoxobebe82 wrote:
xxkath wrote:Was there any point in her even showing the colours on her right hand? They were nothing like pink parka. One was a magenta and 2 of them looked orange. Her nails looked really bad too, like the colours were dull and splotchy.
She probably only showed them because she got them for FREE from that Beauty Clutch website... She even said it herself. And what bets she gets a commission on anything anyone ends up ordering from that site.
Same shit, different video...
I totally agree. Some of the colors weren't even neons. The raspberry color from Color Club wasn't even a bright pink. It was a muted magenta. She could have done with less than half of these colors in this video.

What's with the sloppy application and the dry cracking skin around her nails? :barf:

fiercelyprivate
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

What is UP with that weird headband in her hair. It looks like it's just about ready to pop off her head. How can she look at that video and think the 'do looks good?! It looks ridiculous. And I can't stand her nail polish application. She applies it like a 5 year old. She's sloppy about everything!

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

could not make it through even the first 30 seconds of this video. it's weird how much she loves to hear herself talk.

maluca
Informer
Informer

Post by maluca »

MakeupLover wrote:What is UP with that weird headband in her hair. It looks like it's just about ready to pop off her head. How can she look at that video and think the 'do looks good?! It looks ridiculous. And I can't stand her nail polish application. She applies it like a 5 year old. She's sloppy about everything!
Sadder even, it's not the first time she's worn a headband in a video like that. I sincerely cannot comprehend how she cannot see how horrible it looks.

allure
Informer
Informer

Post by allure »

It's sad to see the monetized links in her "downbar" because she didn't used to be like that. I think she started out doing it for fun an then after she came back it was mostly for money. I really liked her before but not how she is now. Also yeah that headband looked ridiculous.

fiercelyprivate
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Yeah, her links in the description box of her videos are a little off-putting and tacky. She's very money-hungry. I honestly don't mind affiliate links that much (I personally never click on them) if the Youtuber is transparent about what they really are. But she never makes it explicitly clear that they are affiliate links unless someone asks her directly in the comments. I have seen her admit it in situations like that.

It's the same with that Stella & Dot stuff. She's not hard up for money but she acts like she is. So she's not a 'stylist' whatever that means. But what most people don't seem to realize is you CAN order directly from S&D without going through a stylist or their 'trunk shows'. But she makes it sound like the only way to get the stuff is by going through a stylist or in other words, her.

Her latest tutorial...I had to cringe at the part where she slathers on concealer. She's so sloppy and once again uses a pink toned concealer to conceal her redness and spots. Does she seriously NOT have a clue after all these years on YT and watching other girls??! She just gobs it on her face in big swipes. And did she honestly go over her brows with the Hourglass Diffused powder in the end? Yuck!! And the lips...not a good look. She had tons of foundation all over them and just piled on that Buxom gloss 'overtop' (as she likes to say).

justanotherhater

Post by justanotherhater »

MakeupLover wrote:Yeah, her links in the description box of her videos are a little off-putting and tacky. She's very money-hungry. I honestly don't mind affiliate links that much (I personally never click on them) if the Youtuber is transparent about what they really are. But she never makes it explicitly clear that they are affiliate links unless someone asks her directly in the comments. I have seen her admit it in situations like that.

It's the same with that Stella & Dot stuff. She's not hard up for money but she acts like she is. So she's not a 'stylist' whatever that means. But what most people don't seem to realize is you CAN order directly from S&D without going through a stylist or their 'trunk shows'. But she makes it sound like the only way to get the stuff is by going through a stylist or in other words, her.
I once asked if she could disclose in her FTC disclaimer that she uses affiliate links. She replied saying she doesn't have to as the link are not part of the video, and only the description box. She then blocked me. This was a while ago, but she got pretty bitchy with me about it. At least she stopped writing her disclaimers like this "This video is not sponsored in any way, shape or form!" because she is getting compensation and in a way a type of sponsorship. It's just misleading.

Lorena
Informer
Informer

Post by Lorena »

MakeupLover wrote: Her latest tutorial...I had to cringe at the part where she slathers on concealer. She's so sloppy and once again uses a pink toned concealer to conceal her redness and spots. Does she seriously NOT have a clue after all these years on YT and watching other girls??! She just gobs it on her face in big swipes. And did she honestly go over her brows with the Hourglass Diffused powder in the end? Yuck!! And the lips...not a good look. She had tons of foundation all over them and just piled on that Buxom gloss 'overtop' (as she likes to say).
i do like some of her ideas but her application is soooo sloppy! and why does she always have to apply SO much product??? how many times did she go over her face with that powder brush????

allure
Informer
Informer

Post by allure »

I like her newest tutorial look actually. She has really pretty eyes and coloring so the smokey eyes wasn't too much for her.

yesitsme
Debater
Debater

Post by yesitsme »

I get why she did it because she always gets asked to compare certain colors. I'd probably do the same thing if I kept getting asked to compare colors.

yesitsme
Debater
Debater

Post by yesitsme »

Fatma wrote:Her nail polish application is horrible :?
Really? I don't think so... I've seen MUCH MUCH worse on ladies on YT.

yesitsme
Debater
Debater

Post by yesitsme »

justanotherhater wrote:
MakeupLover wrote:Yeah, her links in the description box of her videos are a little off-putting and tacky. She's very money-hungry. I honestly don't mind affiliate links that much (I personally never click on them) if the Youtuber is transparent about what they really are. But she never makes it explicitly clear that they are affiliate links unless someone asks her directly in the comments. I have seen her admit it in situations like that.

I once asked if she could disclose in her FTC disclaimer that she uses affiliate links. She replied saying she doesn't have to as the link are not part of the video, and only the description box. She then blocked me. This was a while ago, but she got pretty bitchy with me about it. At least she stopped writing her disclaimers like this "This video is not sponsored in any way, shape or form!" because she is getting compensation and in a way a type of sponsorship. It's just misleading.
Seems like she blocks anyone who questions anything she does and anyone who DOESN'T kiss her ass. Puke.

xxkath
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by xxkath »

Can someone quickly explain something to me about affiliate links? I get that Youtubers make money off them but do they make money just by someone clicking the link? Or do you actually have to buy something/sign up for something for them to make money?
I never click on a link and buy a product, I usually just click a link to read more about the a product is or the exact name/price of a product.

Return to “michele1218”