Sororities

Honolulu
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sororities

Post by Honolulu »

What are your thoughts on/ experiences with college sororities? Are they really as "life changing" for the members as some people say?

Re: Sororities

Post by Guest »

My experience is with a sorority of about 100 girls at a midsized school.

Honestly, I do think that it is life changing. I rushed as a sophomore, so I got a taste of college with and without my organization. My freshman year, I was very homesick and had a rocky relationship with my roommate. Another friend encouraged me to go Greek. The wonderful thing about recruitment is that you don't have to commit to the sorority you end up with if you decide it's not for you. It's a wonderful way to simply meet people. Joining my sorority opened up many opportunities for friendships, leadership roles, better grades, and higher campus involvement. There are some sisters I don't like. There are some I'm very close to. But our sorority brings 100 very different girls together, giving us all at least one thing in common.

It is a wonderful opportunity and there isn't a day that I regret it.

loljokesss
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by loljokesss »

My sorority experience has been at a small liberal arts school. I didn't do formal recruitment, but did colonization for a sorority that was coming back on campus after many members were expelled for numerous things. I was recruited via nationals, and talked to ex-Presidents while going through the interview/recruitment process. By the end of Pref night, I knew my organization was where I wanted to be. There were 11 girls that were left from the old group, and 50 new girls that were recruited just like I was.

It was hard (for me) at first. Chapter every Sunday, other mandatory events, we were on social probation at the time so we couldn't mix with fraternities or other sororities, and getting along with 60+ girls that I didn't know was a balancing act on top of my school work. Not only that, but the chapter coming back to campus wasn't well received by most of the sororities on campus, and we really had to WORK to get our organization taken seriously. BUT after 3 months of our new member meetings, learning about my new sisters, and learning about my organization, I realized I wanted to stay. I was initiated over a year and a half ago and I don't regret it for a second. After learning some of our secrets I knew that my organization had changed me for the better, and I truly picked the right sorority.

Now, I have 80 sisters that have changed my life. A twin who I love dearly and who is my literal twin in every way possible. I've found my bridesmaids for my future wedding, my best guy friends from mixing with the fraternities (and going to some parties tbh), and an organization that I never want to leave. My sisters might annoy me sometimes, but I never take them for granted and know that they have my back. Not only that, I have been put in a position on campus to become a leader, and have stood out in another organization as well because my sorority pushed me.

Even if you're hesitant about it, learn about some of the organizations on campus and go talk to a recruitment advisor. Sign up if you want to, and if you go through recruitment go into it with an open mind. Its honestly the best thing I have ever done for myself. :love2:
:toss:

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

Being in a sorority made my college experience. I was filling out my transfer application my sophomore year when my roommate convinced me to go to my sorority's colonization recruitment. At the end of the week she gave up and I gave it a chance. 3 and a half years later I can't even imagine transferring!

I 100% suggest everyone try it out. I've learned so much about how to be friends with women, which was something I've always struggled with. Am I paying for my friends? Yes, I'm paying so my friends and I can do fun things. That's the way I put it. I've also pushed myself to get involved in my sorority as well as the Greek Life community.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

i_cant_even
Talker
Talker

Post by i_cant_even »

I think it is life changing. It really gives you the opportunity to meet so many people on campus not only in your sorority but in others as well. You will also have many leadership opportunities in your sorority as well as in panhellenic. At my school many of the Greeks are also very involved in student government. You do "pay" however I wouldn't consider it paying for friends. Like the above poster said you are paying for activities such as sisterhood events, mixers, formals, food (our meetings included dinner before), etc. The way I see it is almost any organization that you join will require some type of membership fee. Finally being in a sorority is what you make it. If you put yourself out there and go to the events, you will make so many friends and meet so many people. Some of your sisters won't be your best friends, but I have honestly met some of my best friends through my sorority. If you have a bad attitude or don't go to events or put yourself out there then any greek experience you have will not be enjoyable and it will be a waste of time and money.But I would say go for it!

jswithlove
Debater
Debater

Post by jswithlove »

I think it's only worth it if your school has a strong Greek presence. I went to a college with 18,000+ undergrad and less than 8% of the student body was Greek. It was almost like if you went Greek at my school, you were shutting yourself off from more social opportunities.

parisienne
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by parisienne »

pinkbows wrote:Is it true being in a sorority is financially draining?
My first semester dues were roughly $700 and then my regular member dues are about $400/semester but those exclude housing, t-shirts and other apparel (which add up really fast!), big/little gifts, etc... They're different at every school though. Panhellenic usually puts the dues for each sorority on their website or in the recruitment packet PNMs get during rush. Just be weary that your dues aren't going to be your only expenses.

parisienne
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by parisienne »

pinkbows wrote:I'd love to be in a sorority to make girlfriends (I only have male friends), but $700 upfront? WOW. Or is it every semester? I'm assuming it's different for every sorority/college, but is it really all upfront or can you pay it in installments?
How my sorority does it is we use an online system and our dues have to be paid by a certain date during the first month of the semester or we get late charges. For example, my first semester as a new member, I didn't have to pay the $700 until a week or so before initiation (because my dues included my pin which in itself costs $150). Then every semester after that, I had to pay the $400 upfront by mid August or mid January.
I think you can discuss a payment plan with the VP Finance or whoever is in charge of the dues. I'm sure she would be understanding and would work something out with you if needed!

kingOfGossip
Talker
Talker

Post by kingOfGossip »

It depends on the type of girls and women in the sorority and the type of person YOU are. For instance, me, I am someone that has known who I am and what I am and how I am for years and a sorority didn't change me and didn't do anything for me. And I didn't have time for them, either; too much schoolwork. Pretty much the only benefit out of it for me was references for jobs and friends, both which would have been obtained outside a sorority.

[/highlight][/color][/size]

Return to “Education”