Eat your Kimchi

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Re: Eat your Kimchi

Post by IHateCilantro »

I want videos about JAPAN. Not videos on how you lost 20 pounds Simon!

Im not gonna watch this video. Ive had enough. I dont want diet advice on a Travel channel!

I think the viewers are paying for S&M to live in Japan and for their lifestyle and they are doing the minimal now. They dont even do
the Opening Viewer Mail videos anymore. I refuse to watch Jun and Rachel cause Rachel is a dum dum.
Are there any other Japan channels that I can watch to replace S&M?

Clover la BonBon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Clover la BonBon »

IHateCilantro wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:35 am

Im not gonna watch this video. Ive had enough. I dont want diet advice on a Travel channel!

I think the viewers are paying for S&M to live in Japan and for their lifestyle and they are doing the minimal now. They dont even do
the Opening Viewer Mail videos anymore. I refuse to watch Jun and Rachel cause Rachel is a dum dum.
A few of my favourites are:
- Abroad in Japan
- Lovelyzkelly (though she can get a bit mopy/miserable after a while and does have a few problematic elements)
- Cakes with faces (She's a clothing/graphic designer but tends to travel to Japan once a year and records footage for a full year of videos. Excellent for planning a trip to Japan)
- Sharmander
- Paolo from Tokyo (especially his day in the life series)
- Princess Peachie (Not a JVlogger, but she has a travel to Japan series that was so wholesome)
- Only in Japan
- Mikan (Fashion student in Japan)
- Tabieats (Especially the videos where they cook with his mum :love2: )

Send me a DM if you are looking for something specific :D , there are definitely more out there, these are just the ones I watch most regularly.

littlebitbuee
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by littlebitbuee »

IHateCilantro wrote:

Omg yes I love how chill Jun is but I can't stand Rachel. She's looking more plastic-y these days too.

I guess this is the only content they can produce right now, it's sad but it's worse for them honestly. I think they really want to make content like before but Martina physically (en emotionally?) just can't at the moment. But yes just opening mail or midnight munchies would be great too. I hope they make a video about visiting home.

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

littlebitbuee wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:22 am
IHateCilantro wrote:

Omg yes I love how chill Jun is but I can't stand Rachel. She's looking more plastic-y these days too.

I guess this is the only content they can produce right now, it's sad but it's worse for them honestly. I think they really want to make content like before but Martina physically (en emotionally?) just can't at the moment. But yes just opening mail or midnight munchies would be great too. I hope they make a video about visiting home.
See, if Martina can ride a bike to the 7-11, Lawsons and Family Mart, she can create content.
I wanna see a comprehensive COMBINI video.
How about a Daiso or Don Quixote video?
Or a Basement supermarket video?

What about a Family Restaurant video (the kind that serves Hamburger steak)

So many things to film.

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

I hate to say it, but BRING BACK TEXAN IN TOKYO.
Even with the name they named their baby I learned more from them.

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Post by tacobeard »

IHateCilantro wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 am
Oh I miss Texan in Tokyo - what did they name their baby? I don't care about the food videos, I miss their videos where they explored Busan and Seoul. I wish they would do more exploration of Japan with less food. I completely understand that they can't though due to Martina's illness but I miss it!

LaughingHeart
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LaughingHeart »

Don't know if he meant something else but in the video Simon said he wanted to be strong enough to carry the groceries from the car to their home. If they do own a car in Japan their income from social-media must be pretty nice.
I did watch the video. It was way too long to be even interesting unless you really love S&M. Got more of a pity party feeling then actual content. It's nice to see an update, but to make it so dramatic again wasn't needed. Always a bit weary when people preface with "this isn't sponsored in any way". Yeah, sure it isn't. Why the need to mention it specifically then? Then go into full detail how great the product is without mentioning any flaws with it. Video was about 22 minutes. He starts it by saying if you want a TL;DR skip to 19:46 timestamp, that says enough in my opinion.

The ones I follow/watch
- Only in Japan, a more documentary feel to it. Tries to promote local businesses.
- Only in Japan GO, his live streams. Usually walks around certain areas with food involved.
- Abroad in Japan, daily life mixed with some documentary style videos. His Fukushima video is a must see imo.
- Micaela, wish she uploaded more. She lives in Fukuoka, daily life videos mixed with some local areas.
Make your doesn't sentence sense.
You are now reading a pointless sentence

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

tacobeard wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 pm
IHateCilantro wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 am
Oh I miss Texan in Tokyo - what did they name their baby? I don't care about the food videos, I miss their videos where they explored Busan and Seoul. I wish they would do more exploration of Japan with less food. I completely understand that they can't though due to Martina's illness but I miss it!
NELDA MINETA.

N-E-L-D-A!!!!!

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

LaughingHeart wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:35 pm
Don't know if he meant something else but in the video Simon said he wanted to be strong enough to carry the groceries from the car to their home. If they do own a car in Japan their income from social-media must be pretty nice.
I did watch the video. It was way too long to be even interesting unless you really love S&M. Got more of a pity party feeling then actual content. It's nice to see an update, but to make it so dramatic again wasn't needed. Always a bit weary when people preface with "this isn't sponsored in any way". Yeah, sure it isn't. Why the need to mention it specifically then? Then go into full detail how great the product is without mentioning any flaws with it. Video was about 22 minutes. He starts it by saying if you want a TL;DR skip to 19:46 timestamp, that says enough in my opinion.

The ones I follow/watch
- Only in Japan, a more documentary feel to it. Tries to promote local businesses.
- Only in Japan GO, his live streams. Usually walks around certain areas with food involved.
- Abroad in Japan, daily life mixed with some documentary style videos. His Fukushima video is a must see imo.
- Micaela, wish she uploaded more. She lives in Fukuoka, daily life videos mixed with some local areas.

S&M earn over $7600 a month
https://www.noxinfluencer.com/youtube/c ... 2XC_ByNEVQ

lurkermclurkerson
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkermclurkerson »

There's a video from about a year ago when they first started the build a ladder content where Simon says he got serious about fitness so he could carry Martina around when her EDS got too bad for her to walk. That's also when she started to get serious about her own weight loss. Honestly, the both of them are depressed and it's easy to see. I get that Martina's dad died of a terrible illness and they lost their dog, but it's like there's been no emotional healing that has happened. Add to that the struggle of living with chronic pain, it's got to be a rough time. However, I don't think that they're the appropriate spokespeople for "building a ladder" or getting help with their depression. They don't DO anything except post how they're having a crappy day and staying at home and making lackluster attempts at getting better.

They like in Kichijoji, one of the coolest, hipster, up and coming places in Japan. I don't want a podcast from you living room about things you've done. I want to see videos about the jazz bands playing in front of stores or Sun Road or the anime companies that are featured in the area. Talk about Seikai University or Inokashira Park. SHOW US THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT! Anything!!!

Like one other commenter said, if Martina is well enough to bike around to convenient stores for "snacks" or whatever they're doing there, she's well enough to do videos. I don't care how you lost weight or how you're sad about Spudgie or how you're waffling about getting another dog or how you edit videos. How hard would it be to do a Treasure Find again? Or simply be a tourist like they were when they went to the onsen at Valentine's Day.

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

lurkermclurkerson wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:50 pm
There's a video from about a year ago when they first started the build a ladder content where Simon says he got serious about fitness so he could carry Martina around when her EDS got too bad for her to walk. That's also when she started to get serious about her own weight loss. Honestly, the both of them are depressed and it's easy to see. I get that Martina's dad died of a terrible illness and they lost their dog, but it's like there's been no emotional healing that has happened. Add to that the struggle of living with chronic pain, it's got to be a rough time. However, I don't think that they're the appropriate spokespeople for "building a ladder" or getting help with their depression. They don't DO anything except post how they're having a crappy day and staying at home and making lackluster attempts at getting better.
They both seem to have had wonderful parents and childhoods, so maybe they have a slight case of Peter Pan Syndrome.
Sure they can #adult and all but emotionally they are childlike. I think that one of them couldnt cope if the other died.

hopelesscoffeeaddict
Informer
Informer

Post by hopelesscoffeeaddict »

IHateCilantro wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:09 pm

They both seem to have had wonderful parents and childhoods, so maybe they have a slight case of Peter Pan Syndrome.
Sure they can #adult and all but emotionally they are childlike. I think that one of them couldnt cope if the other died.
They are the most co-dependent couple I've ever seen so I agree with that 100%! I bet they never fight because they are too terrified it might lead to disharmony. It seems so unhealthy on all levels, there must be so much bottled up resentment between them.

sososhady
Learner
Learner

Post by sososhady »

hopelesscoffeeaddict wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:22 am
IHateCilantro wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:09 pm

They are the most co-dependent couple I've ever seen so I agree with that 100%! I bet they never fight because they are too terrified it might lead to disharmony. It seems so unhealthy on all levels, there must be so much bottled up resentment between them.
They say they go to couples therapy regularly. But of course that could just be them trying to the the most perfect, forward thinking, amazing couple. I remember they had a podcast that pretty much just humble bragged about Simon being the perfect husband.

Also, I think Simon is taking this influencer thing way to serious.

IHateCilantro
Informer
Informer

Post by IHateCilantro »

I feel that Simon cries when he climaxes

sososhady
Learner
Learner

Post by sososhady »

IHateCilantro wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 am
I feel that Simon cries when he climaxes
Because he's so sensitive 😂😂😂😂

sososhady
Learner
Learner

Post by sososhady »

You know I find it kinda funny in a round about way that they said on a podcast that they would never use click bait titles or that they would never use Martina's illness as a crutch. But I feel like that's what they've been doing lately. I don't know, maybe they are bringing awareness. But I feel like they're relying heavily on Martina's illness to carry them sometimes.

LaughingHeart
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LaughingHeart »

Building awareness started with the build-a-ladder idea she had. But she used it way too much every time something less enjoyable occurred with her health or day, it pretty much lost its meaning. I had trouble coming out of bed this morning, but I need to build that ladder. My shoulder hurts from my eds, but I need to build that ladder. I broke a fake nail, but I need to build that ladder. One video went on like this and it got a little annoying.

The youtube channel is slowly moving to a "sponsored by" only channel mixed in with a hint of pity party for either Simon or Martina.
If you compare that to their facebook/instagram/twitter feeds it seems they move around quite a bit. Why not make a short video about you local trips, not much editing and you can still show your viewers what Japan is like. A few days ago Martina was praising herself how she could understand the writing on the ramen ticket machine at a restaurant. On their youtube channel they usually talk English to Japanese people around them. With the income from the channel I am sure they could afford some classes to actually learn some basic Japanese to have a conversation with the locals around them. I guess the we're-foreigners-card they used in Korea also applies to Japan.

sososhady
Learner
Learner

Post by sososhady »

LaughingHeart wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:13 pm
Building awareness started with the build-a-ladder idea she had. But she used it way too much every time something less enjoyable occurred with her health or day, it pretty much lost its meaning. I had trouble coming out of bed this morning, but I need to build that ladder. My shoulder hurts from my eds, but I need to build that ladder. I broke a fake nail, but I need to build that ladder. One video went on like this and it got a little annoying.

The youtube channel is slowly moving to a "sponsored by" only channel mixed in with a hint of pity party for either Simon or Martina.
If you compare that to their facebook/instagram/twitter feeds it seems they move around quite a bit. Why not make a short video about you local trips, not much editing and you can still show your viewers what Japan is like. A few days ago Martina was praising herself how she could understand the writing on the ramen ticket machine at a restaurant. On their youtube channel they usually talk English to Japanese people around them. With the income from the channel I am sure they could afford some classes to actually learn some basic Japanese to have a conversation with the locals around them. I guess the we're-foreigners-card they used in Korea also applies to Japan.
I agree, it's like more sponsors then ever before. Which I DON'T have a problem with, I mean people do need money. But I wish more local stuff that wasn't sponsored at all. Like you said if she's okay enough to go out to eat then hell - record! Some of the videos that they have that I love is stuff when they're out on the town and just looking at stuff and showing us everything. When it's not just about solely food. Show us what other shops they have. Hardware, tech, more corner stores, show us the stores that look odd, show us the stores people go to all the time.

When they first started in Korea they showed us how to get on the subway, how to pay your bills, internet, food delivery. All sort of neat little things. I wish they would do more of that again. I do like food videos but mix some stuff in there.

Like their day in the life video I enjoyed because it was about how they lived and do stuff everyday.

Also before I know Martina was starting something on another channel (I think) where she talks about Japanese and taking lessons and studying the language. She seemed really I to it, sort of as a learning and teaching experience. But I don't think she ever finished.

LaughingHeart
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LaughingHeart »

Thing with the J-vlogging is that most stuff is already done and beaten to death. You really need to go out of your own and others way to make something decent. Or have some interesting personality that would make it interesting for your viewers. At that point content becomes a bit less important.

The language thing was on their "bonus" channel. Was one short video of Martina trying to teach the kana. But instead of first learning it herself and then make a video she went ahead and made it even tough she hadn't really got it down to explain it that good. Other then just rephrasing what other guides online already teach you with the mnemonics.

Just thought of something. Their Korea and now Japan vlogging seems to follow the same pattern. About half way in they both kind of died down in terms of actual content and general interest other then to post a video to keep their cashflow going from views and memberships. Also I'm staring to think their socialmedia is in some way "scripted". Not sure how to explain it but a lot of comments seem so alike along most things they post. Maybe it's because of the fan base or the general group they appeal to. Can't really point my finger to what it exactly is, but something doesn't feel okay/real.

As I said in an earlier post, they call(ed) themselves "foodies". Compared to their Korean content the Japan one is really lacking in the food department other then in their earlier Japan vlogging videos. But most of those had already been done by other vloggers before, so it wasn't actually new. Unless you only followed S&M and no other Asian based vlog/blog.
Not sure if they lurk here, probably are as most but claim to be not. Michelin Guide has a great website where you can filter on Bib Gourmand restaurants. For those unaware. These are restaurant not quite at the 1 star Michelin ranking but do offer great food for the value they offer. Selected by the same people that search and rate for the Michelin star restaurants. At his time there are 238 restaurants in Tokyo alone that have such a rating, I would say plenty of "foodie" content there. And if you can afford to go to a 3 star Michelin restaurant twice a year with two people I am sure you can afford meals in the Bib restaurants.

hopelesscoffeeaddict
Informer
Informer

Post by hopelesscoffeeaddict »

LaughingHeart wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:45 am
Also I'm staring to think their socialmedia is in some way "scripted". Not sure how to explain it but a lot of comments seem so alike along most things they post. Maybe it's because of the fan base or the general group they appeal to. Can't really point my finger to what it exactly is, but something doesn't feel okay/real.
Maybe they outsourced their social media. You can hire people who become a sort of virtual assistant, they can do your commenting, liking and general maintenance of social media channels for you. Most larger influencers do it that way by now, they aren't really commenting themselves.

Return to “Eatyourkimchi Studio”