Glam and Gore

FinallyHere
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glam and Gore

Post by FinallyHere »

Nah further back in the thread someone posted his FB name! But he's appearing two videos from now I think :D

Delphino
Talker
Talker

Post by Delphino »

The blog she is plastered on (Along with a lot of youtubers I follow) is full of itself. God forbid you appreciate something beautiful from another culture - henna, dreadlocks, sugar skulls etc. How does it make one racist? You are only racist if you use that image and make fun of it/mock it. They are the extremists with a sheep following.

PancakeyPuppy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PancakeyPuppy »

FinallyHere wrote:
PancakeyPuppy wrote:but if it was clearly white people starting the argument, I don't think she should've apologized, however, if it was someone who belongs to the culture, she should have taken their feelings more into consideration.
To my knowledge, SHE started the argument by throwing out the phrase "cultural appropriation" in response to an aforementioned request to do African-inspired makeup. People then went back to the sugar skull. It was surprising because sugar skulls get done on YT all the time, but she really brought the conversation on herself. I really wish she just hadn't replied at all lol.

I remember there being a lot of back and forth in particular with a Mexican girl, and there were definitely other Mexican zombaes in the mix. I know for sugar skulls in particular a lot of Mexican people tend not to mind, and other Latinas were like "well I'm Latina/Mexican and I don't care so you shouldn't either! we love Mykie!" and stuff like that, which can be irksome for the ones who do care. There were a few people being downright ridiculous trying to stir the pot, but there were a lot of people trying to have an honest dialogue and that's when Mykie got all "there are bigger issues to worry about like police brutality" When I first saw the tweets, Mykie was arguing that racism against white people is a thing, ignoring the people calmly explaining the difference between systematic oppression of a people and just prejudice. She let out some seriously privileged statements in this thing.

That being said, Twitter is a great platform, but conversations like this ALWAYS get lost and miscommunicated because of the character limit. It's just people putting in snippets and hoping the full message gets across. VERY frustrating. Which is why, if I were Mykie, I would have just deleted or left the comments alone on IG, not engaged anyone on Twitter (definitely wouldn't have thrown the phrase cultural appropriation around with such disdain without expecting a shitstorm) and just left it alone, maybe released a coherent, thought-out post or video later on if I felt like it, once I had simmered down. You know, like Kat Von D did when the huge vegan thing happened on her post about Cecil the Lion. She stopped replying to people on social media, and the next day, she released a 30 minute video talking about her feelings and what she meant in the post that may not have gotten across in writing. Social media is hard guys, why make it harder on yourself by allowing hateful things to be said on your page and responding to them with nonsense? MYKIE WE LOVE YOU. MAKE LOVE NOT CONTROVERSY. ALSO CHASE IS REALLY CUTE AND YOU MAKE A GOOD TEAM GOOD JOB :HK:
You're 1000% right about the Twitter thing. Man, she kinda made herself look bad, but I know she wasn't trying to be racist. It really would have just been a lot better if she hadn't replied at all

SophB
Learner
Learner

Post by SophB »

Came here to see what you guys were saying because of her twitter argument. I just noticed that her tweets are protected so she must have been receiving a lot of hate. The worst thing that could have happen to her after winning the NYX Face Awards now that's she receiving way more attention.

Personally, I think she should have apologize if people were finding it offensive and explain that she likes the culture and wasn't using as a halloween costume, she didn't even do a tutorial on it.

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

SophB wrote:Came here to see what you guys were saying because of her twitter argument. I just noticed that her tweets are protected so she must have been receiving a lot of hate. The worst thing that could have happen to her after winning the NYX Face Awards now that's she receiving way more attention.

Personally, I think she should have apologize if people were finding it offensive and explain that she likes the culture and wasn't using as a halloween costume, she didn't even do a tutorial on it.
Exactly. That's how I wish she addressed the issue. Now she just dug herself into a hole. :/

Also I don't really understand how she got that people were being racist against white people?

This whole thing is a mess.
Previously xluna_bella <3

Lydia Deetz
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lydia Deetz »

Yeah, a simple apology / clarification that it wasn't meant to be offensive would have sufficed.
Live people ignore the strange and unusual
I myself am strange and unusual

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

LunaSheep wrote:
SophB wrote:Came here to see what you guys were saying because of her twitter argument. I just noticed that her tweets are protected so she must have been receiving a lot of hate. The worst thing that could have happen to her after winning the NYX Face Awards now that's she receiving way more attention.

Exactly. That's how I wish she addressed the issue. Now she just dug herself into a hole. :/

Also I don't really understand how she got that people were being racist against white people?

This whole thing is a mess.
She was getting the racist against white people, because people were telling her she could not do certain things because of the color of her skin. Saying she is white so she can't do this or that. If she told someone of color they couldn't do things because the color of their skin, that would be racist. So her point was that by saying those things to her were hypocritical and racist.

That is what I got from the IG comments. But I never saw everything on twitter.

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

Hmm, okay.

I just she handled this whole situation pretty poorly.

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

Yeah... from the sounds of the twitter stuff it would have been best to completely ignore those tweets. Or after saying her piece, realizing that maybe what she said was inconsiderate and apologizing.

Because in cases like this it honestly makes a lot more sense to apologize, and admit you are wrong.

slap
Informer
Informer

Post by slap »

^ If only so many other YouTubers took that advice...

I think YT would be boring if they did :p

WhackyJackie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by WhackyJackie »

well at least Mykie sort of addressed the subject that people were throwing at her , she could of been like Jaclyn Hill and just ignored the whole pill situation

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

WhackyJackie wrote:well at least Mykie sort of addressed the subject that people were throwing at her , she could of been like Jaclyn Hill and just ignored the whole pill situation
Very true.

Although I feel like her way of addressing it just made it worse, but I'll give her some credit.

WhackyJackie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by WhackyJackie »

LunaSheep wrote:
WhackyJackie wrote:well at least Mykie sort of addressed the subject that people were throwing at her , she could of been like Jaclyn Hill and just ignored the whole pill situation
Very true.

Although I feel like her way of addressing it just made it worse, but I'll give her some credit.
it wasn't the best approach but at least she didn't sweep it under the carpet altogether

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

WhackyJackie wrote:
LunaSheep wrote:
Very true.

it wasn't the best approach but at least she didn't sweep it under the carpet altogether
...I was agreeing with you lol.

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

I usually find videos with significant others annoying... but I really liked hers! I think she made it fun with the truth or dare. And there wasn't too much of the guy doing girl makeup... and girl doing makeup on guy... because I also find that annoying lol. So many gurus do it, and they think it is cute... but I just find it WEIRD!

But anyway... yeah I enjoyed this one!

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

jessica3llen wrote:I usually find videos with significant others annoying... but I really liked hers! I think she made it fun with the truth or dare. And there wasn't too much of the guy doing girl makeup... and girl doing makeup on guy... because I also find that annoying lol. So many gurus do it, and they think it is cute... but I just find it WEIRD!

But anyway... yeah I enjoyed this one!
Yeah I thought the video with him was fun to watch. All the zombaes are freaking out over Chase. I think it's nice to put a face to a name, but I wasn't super pressed to need to see him. They definitely do have similar personalities and they're great together.

slap
Informer
Informer

Post by slap »

The bit where Chase was talking about how he loved how driven and creative Mykie is.

Ahh, be still my beating heart! :love2: :love2: <3 :D

guruhaterlol1
Learner
Learner

Post by guruhaterlol1 »

I can't wait for her to post her Joker tutorial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guruhaterlol1
Learner
Learner

Post by guruhaterlol1 »

O
M
G
The Joker tutorial was so cool.

Lydia Deetz
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Glam and Gore

Post by Lydia Deetz »

Can we all agree that Franklin is the coolest guy ever? He is so sweet! I want him in more videos lol!
Live people ignore the strange and unusual
I myself am strange and unusual

Return to “Glam and Gore”