Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Essiebutton (and Aslan) FAQs

Post by bells77 »

Thought I'd get the ball rolling on common questions about these two:

How does Estee earn money?

- Affiliate links - she can turn links to products on her blog, on Twitter, the description box on Youtube, anywhere... into an affiliate link. This means she receives a small amount of money when you go on to buy that item. It doesn't increase the cost to you. I've since learned on here that if you don't clear your cache after clicking on that link, she'll also earn a cut of any other item you buy from that same website for a month after the first click on the original affiliate link. :o My understanding of affiliate links is that she can create an affiliate link to any product she likes, she doesn't need to have an agreement with the brand beforehand. How do I spot an affiliate link? Estee used to mark affiliate links with a * next to them. While she was still living in Kennington (living room filming) she stopped doing this. You can still spot an affiliate link by clicking on it and looking in the url for things like "aff", "affiliate" and "campaign". Here's part of a url as an example: source=Affiliates&utm_medium=136348&utm_term=na&utm_content=na&utm_campaign=na . To be honest at this point you can assume all Estee's links are affiliate ones if it's possible to earn some kick-back from them.

- Sponsored content - contacted by a brand and paid to talk about an item/items.

- Free products - not money as such, but would it be classed as "payment in kind" by the taxman? I don't know, there's probably a loophole to not class these free items as income. If you're getting whole ranges or expensive single items free, that's a lot of money saved.

- Youtube advertising - she'll receive a small amount for every ad that's watched (the ads that play before her videos if you don't have AdBlocker) and if people click through to the product in the ad.

I'm not sure how the Youtube partnership works and if you can think of any other income streams I'll add them.

Does Aslan Work?
Yes, he said he worked in "property development". He's also known to be studying law as a postgraduate degree. It's unclear whether his work is:
- Unpaid work experience he's chosen to do
- Unpaid work experience that's required as part of the degree/professional qualification
- Paid work experience that's required
- Normal, employed work

Does Aslan Come from Money?
I don't know exactly where the "trust fund" info comes from. Aside from that there are a few clues:
- Privately educated - on its own doesn't mean much because private schools do bursaries and scholarships
- Estee said, of his mum, "What do you get the woman who could buy whatever she wants?"
- His mum and sister live in London and own a Range Rover
- He went to Cambridge - again, on its own not always a sign of money but Oxbridge is still dominated by students who went to private schools.

Do they mention their dads?
No. Estee said Aslan was raised in an all-female household - she put his gentle persona down to this. Nothing more has been said.

Where was Aslan born?
Kazakhstan.

What part of London do they live in/have they lived in?
- Someone fill me in on their current location. :)
- When Estee filmed in the living room (sometimes her bedroom), had longer hair, got a fringe cut in - they were in Kennington.
- Before that they lived in a house-share with Meg who writes Lipsofacto and still has a few videos on Youtube. These are the videos where Estee filmed in her bedroom, which had lots of postcards on the walls.
- Before that there was somewhere with a cat, which Estee found distressing but I thought the cat looked sweet, but then I'm a catlady.
- And before that they were in Cambridge while Aslan finished his degree.

Does Estee have a degree?
It's not 100% clear. In May/June 2014 she said she was "done" with her studies. I'm not aware that she's ever used the word "graduated". She was studying through a Canadian university that let you study online so she could carry on her work once she lived in the UK.

Where have they been outside London?
Sorry this is my little crusade! :D It surprises me that two people who are into travelling and seeing new things, don't explore their own country in between trips abroad. But it's also been pointed out that they don't go to unusual places within London either.
- Glasgow - whistlestop trip to renew Estee's visa. Probably didn't see much apart from a hotel and a passport office.
- Brighton early 2014 - mentioned on Aslan's Twitter but didn't get a vlog.
- Newark antiques fair - in the midlands, a few hours north of London. Got a vlog.
- Cambridge - lived there while Aslan was at uni and Estee had first moved to the UK.

Where have they travelled abroad?
E = just Estee
2014 - Rome, Canada (E), LA (E)
2013 - Canada (Christmas), Morocco, Canada (summer), Amsterdam
2012 - Canada (Christmas), India, Paris, Canada (summer)

Has Estee ever had a normal job?
She's mentioned working at The Body Shop, Topshop and the Apple shop.

Do they own or rent?
They rent.

Do they have a car?
They used Aslan's mum's Range Rover when needed. Now Estee has a used Audi A3.

Do they live in a flat?
No. I've noticed their houses in Kennington and the "new" (not that new) place getting described as flats sometimes. Sounds picky of me, but to rent a house in London, especially the areas they've lived, is on another level of expense and reflects their income.

Do they have a garden?
They have a back yard. To non-UK people, back yard here means a concrete/paved area not a grassed garden. Estee and Aslan have a DIY room at the end of their back yard.

I got a bit carried away there! Do correct me on anything and I'll update this.
Oh my glob! I always wanted to write trashy books for lay-dees!

Miss Monday
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Essiebutton (and Aslan) FAQs

Post by Miss Monday »

They have been to Scotland in 2011 (http://www.essiebutton.com/2011/03/03/s ... afe-latte/) and also Denmark in 2013, they have vlogs about that trip.

Btw, just laughing at that picture of Esteé in Scotland, she looks so incredibly happy to be there :D
-

bells77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bells77 »

Oh dear I can't see the edit button for my original post. I'm embarrassed, I wrote Amsterdam in 2013 instead of Copenhagen. Sorry Danish and Dutch people! :oops:

bellavia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bellavia »

I believe a few posters have mentioned that in an early video Estee actually mentioned Aslan's trust.

Can anyone confirm?

Because if he doesn't have a trust, per se, his mother's filtering in a monthly stipend of some sort to maintain his lifestyle.

Daftpunkin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Daftpunkin »

Aslan also went to Germany in the beginning of 2013 while Estée was in Canada.

husky
Informer
Informer

Post by husky »

+ Aslan speaks Russian.
+ Estee and Aslan met on Omegle.
+ Lived in Mile End at some point?
+ The type of visa Estee has to stay in the UK (I forget)

bellavia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bellavia »

husky wrote:+ Aslan speaks Russian.
Estee went over with a Youth Mobility Visa (available to Canadians, not for people from the US), and then transformed it into a Partner Visa.

husky
Informer
Informer

Post by husky »

bellavia wrote:
husky wrote:+ Aslan speaks Russian.
Estee went over with a Youth Mobility Visa (available to Canadians, not for people from the US), and then transformed it into a Partner Visa.
That's the one! As they're not married, Aslan had to prove that he could financially provide for her.. and by whatever means, he clearly could.

dontmindme
Informer
Informer

Post by dontmindme »

There's no unpaid or paid work in property development that could possibly be required by the LPC or GDL (postgrad law).

Good idea for a thread!

bells77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bells77 »

Thanks for the extra info everyone. If any of those are corrections of what I originally wrote, I wanted to go back and edit the original post but can't. Nevermind.

chairmanmeow
Informer
Informer

Post by chairmanmeow »

Where is Estee From?
She was raised in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

When did Estee move to the UK?
In the fall of 2010

How did Estee and Aslan meet?
Through Omegle.

loro
Learner
Learner

Post by loro »

Anonymous said: you have an older sister?

Well, technically she’s my step-sister. BUT we’ve known each other since I was about 6, so. yeah. I actually have two stepsisters.
Taken from Estee's tumblr. Her father must be remarried.

peony_babe
Lurker
Lurker

Post by peony_babe »

Estée is from Hamilton, Ontario.

CaliforniaRepublic
Learner
Learner

Post by CaliforniaRepublic »

You forgot her trip to Dallas :)

bells77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bells77 »

^ D'oh! I remember thinking the list felt short... Shame I can't edit.

lolascarlett
Talker
Talker

Post by lolascarlett »

I have a feeling they currently live more towards Borough now? It's a pretty swanky area (from what I've seen) and I'm sure in one of her vlogs she went to Borough Tube station (which doesn't necessarily mean she lives there, but maybe?).

vanillakid
Informer
Informer

Post by vanillakid »

She worked in a lingerie shop for a while as well. She mentions it here: http://www.essiebutton.com/2011/03/23/wireless-shoes/

English is not my first language

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by andthensome »

Can someone answer something that's never made sense to me?
In Estee's videos from about 2 years ago, when she was filming in front of a window, her and Aslan were living together then, correct? I didn't get the feeling then that either of them were particularly well-off. Estee was just starting to grow her channel, working part-time, and it seemed that Aslan was working at wherever he worked quite a bit. Still the flat was modest, and neither of them were nearly as spend-crazy as they are now. Which makes me wonder why everyone here assumes Aslan is especially wealthy. If that was the case, why is he just now stopping working and going back to school? Couldn't it be that Estee's channel is making way more than we think it is?

lolascarlett
Talker
Talker

Post by lolascarlett »

Agreed, according to the first post, when they were living in Kennington and it was just them two (I assume that's what you're refering to), it was a really cute flat, and it wasn't all perfect and modern like the one now. The old 'flat' had character and they seemed much more like an 'average' (slightely better off) londener.

You raise an interesting point, because it feels like this sudden injection of money appeared. Their new place looks so expensive. In one of their vlogmas videos, I think it's no. 5 or 6, Essie is doing an outfit of the night, and you can see behind them that the place is 3 stories. There's stairs going into the basement and up to the second floor.

It's difficult to say, because they could have been just renting together, to see if they liked the area or something and then bought/rented their new place. It's so expensive in London though, I don't know if money coming in from Youtube could be enough for the new place?

Someone mentioned somewhere between 7000/8000 a month (I assume in british pounds and if they are indeed renting). That is just ridiculous.

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by andthensome »

Exactly! Modest is the word I was looking for. I mean having duel incomes helps I understand, but does that mean they would do a total 180 degrees to the extent of purchasing $500 trash cans and whatnot? Maybe Aslan had to wait until a certain age to tap into his trust fund? I don't know, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the stark difference.

Return to “Estee Lalonde”