Skincare routine while traveling on a plane?

peterpan
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skincare routine while traveling on a plane?

Post by peterpan »

What do you do to take care of your skin while flying, especially if your flight is 10+ hours?
Or do you not do anything at all?

I'm going to be flying for 15-20 hours and I am curious what you do/if anyone really pampers themselves on the plane like the beauty people on youtube.

Fantaghiro
Learner
Learner

Re: Skincare routine while traveling on a plane?

Post by Fantaghiro »

I usually board without makeup or just mascara which I remove with Bioderma on the plane. I have never used a mask, only a light moisturizer (I have combination skin and any heavy cream would leave me like a grease ball), then just lip balm and eye cream which I like to reapply regularly. The problem with a full beauty regime imo is the quite limited access to water to rinse product off. And obvioulsy the space issue on board and the restrictions regarding liquids.
Anyway, have a good flight!
ImageImageImageImage

NextSupreme
Learner
Learner

Post by NextSupreme »

Queen Lisa has your back ;)

peterpan
Lurker
Lurker

Post by peterpan »

NextSupreme wrote:

Do you actually follow her routine?

NextSupreme
Learner
Learner

Post by NextSupreme »

peterpan wrote:
NextSupreme wrote:

Do you actually follow her routine?
Oh God no, last time I flew 10 hours all I did was apply eye drops, spritz my face with thermal water, and use hand sanitizer before I got off. But Lisa does know her stuff when it comes to skincare!

GiftWrapWonderland
Talker
Talker

Post by GiftWrapWonderland »

I have a 9 hour flight coming up in a few days! I'm going to wear makeup in the airport, just because I'll feel more comfortable since in flying with 18+ people I know. When I'm on the plane and ready to let my skin breathe, I'll take it off and I'm planning on using a sheet mask as well. Then I use a cleansing water from REN, lush toner, and aveeno moisturizer. To 'refresh' my face I have MAC fix+. And yes, it's too many steps. Ah well, my skin is finicky, so I'm trying to keep it balanced. I had a 19 hour flight to Australia a few years ago, but that was before I was into skincare stuff, so I can't help you on that. Sorry :(

JillyBean08
Learner
Learner

Post by JillyBean08 »

I tend to not wear makeup on a flight. Just moisturizer. I do put makeup on before landing, though. On return trips when I'm just heading home after I try and wash my face in the airport before boarding, but if I don't have time I'll use a wipe(yes to cucumbers) to get all my makeup off on the plane and I'll apply vaseline to my eyelashes/eye area and lips. Generally, I just try to keep hydrated and moisturized on flight- but, no matter what, my face always ends up simultaneously mad greasy and Sahara desert dry at the same time. It's mind boggling.

Worldtraveler
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Worldtraveler »

I apply clinique almost powder( covers acne scars) n chubby stick before boarding.once i board i wipe that off with huggies baby wipes n slather clinique moisture surge( to combat dryness) on the face and vaseline on lips and hands.Before i land i apply eyeliner and mascara in addition to the powder n lipstick.Fruits,water and sleeping mask and iam all set.

pinkhippos
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pinkhippos »

I never understood the need to wear makeup on a flight but to each their own!

I like to keep my routine simple. After passing all the security check points, I buy a large water bottle to keep myself hydrated during the flight. I just bring a hand lotion and a small container of my face lotion and reapply as needed. I've never had an issue with my skin drying out (and I have normal-dry skin) or breaking out during a long flight so I guess my routine works. Although I've been meaning to bring a face mask (like the ones that are sheets presoaked in some sort of essence?) and trying that out since it seems to be really popular amongst a lot of people. I'm sure it must be kind of luxurious and you're not moving anywhere or have anything to do so it'd be a good opportunity to pamper yourself a little.

sibkitty3
Debater
Debater

Post by sibkitty3 »

I had a seven hour flight and used (somewhat) of Lisa Eldridge's techniques. I did not put any makeup on because it will dry out my already dry skin and be a hassle to remove on the plane. It was a night flight, so I brought a leave on moisturizing mask (from the Body Shop) and a serum. I also made sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. I reapplied the mask a few times on the plane and before landing, I removed it with a wipe and applied spf (as it was daylight).

On a day flight, I would use a similar routine except I would also reapply spf. Planes get so much sun rays and so, my skin needed protection. Hope this was useful.

vegemite
Informer
Informer

Post by vegemite »

Lots of hand cream/salve, a makeup remover and a facial oil. I don't wear my usual waterproof mascara, just eyeliner on top of my usual makeup (brows, face powder, concealer) because I usually fly in the afternoon. I'll remove my makeup after the dinner service, brush teeth, pop an ambien then before landing, lightly cleanse and moisturize. I'll add under eye concealer and do my eyeliner and brows again.

peterpan
Lurker
Lurker

Post by peterpan »

vegemite wrote:Lots of hand cream/salve, a makeup remover and a facial oil. I don't wear my usual waterproof mascara, just eyeliner on top of my usual makeup (brows, face powder, concealer) because I usually fly in the afternoon. I'll remove my makeup after the dinner service, brush teeth, pop an ambien then before landing, lightly cleanse and moisturize. I'll add under eye concealer and do my eyeliner and brows again.
This is probably a dumb question, but do you cleanse your face in the airplane lavatories? It seems difficult :o

teeheeheehee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by teeheeheehee »

I routinely (3-4 times/year) fly 15/16 hours from North America back to SEA. I always take a small spritzer of a moisturizing toner, preferably something really lightweight.Plane air is very drying, so my rule is a cup of water/juice/pop per hour, if I have coffee with meals, an extra cup of water tht hour. Bring hand cream and hand sanitizer (if you're a germaphobe like me). I also bring a rollerball perfume, because no one likes to smell like circulated airplane air when they land. I also bring a lip balm, a tube of lipstick, eyeliner and a small tube of BB cream, for makeup just before I land.

I don't do my full face cleansing routine, because lavatories are small and I hate carrying too many products on board, I've gotten stuff confiscated because I brought too many little bottles. :x

I usually board with no makeup (one less bottle to carry, and i'm lazy), spritz my toner regularly, apply the moisturizer whenever my hands feel dry, add a mask if I remembered to bring one. Drink lots of water throughout. Then do my lips, eyes, face about 15 mins before they make the landing announcement. Rollerball perfume as the plane pulls into the terminal.

PS. If you're flying international, a lot of airports now make you go through security again at stopovers, so bring as few makeup/skincare stuff as possible, some airports are really strict about their limits and it sucks when they confiscate stuff -> I'M GLARING AT YOU LAX, TSA female officer helped herself (she chose those items to remove) to my Kiehl's handcream and a bottle of Shisheido toner....

peterpan
Lurker
Lurker

Post by peterpan »

teeheeheehee wrote:I routinely (3-4 times/year) fly 15/16 hours from North America back to SEA. I always take a small spritzer of a moisturizing toner, preferably something really lightweight.Plane air is very drying, so my rule is a cup of water/juice/pop per hour, if I have coffee with meals, an extra cup of water tht hour. Bring hand cream and hand sanitizer (if you're a germaphobe like me). I also bring a rollerball perfume, because no one likes to smell like circulated airplane air when they land. I also bring a lip balm, a tube of lipstick, eyeliner and a small tube of BB cream, for makeup just before I land.

I don't do my full face cleansing routine, because lavatories are small and I hate carrying too many products on board, I've gotten stuff confiscated because I brought too many little bottles. :x

I usually board with no makeup (one less bottle to carry, and i'm lazy), spritz my toner regularly, apply the moisturizer whenever my hands feel dry, add a mask if I remembered to bring one. Drink lots of water throughout. Then do my lips, eyes, face about 15 mins before they make the landing announcement. Rollerball perfume as the plane pulls into the terminal.

PS. If you're flying international, a lot of airports now make you go through security again at stopovers, so bring as few makeup/skincare stuff as possible, some airports are really strict about their limits and it sucks when they confiscate stuff -> I'M GLARING AT YOU LAX, TSA female officer helped herself (she chose those items to remove) to my Kiehl's handcream and a bottle of Shisheido toner....
Hmm were the handcream and toner under 100 ml/did they fit in the plastic bag? :?

teeheeheehee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by teeheeheehee »

peterpan wrote:
Hmm were the handcream and toner under 100 ml/did they fit in the plastic bag? :?
This happened 4, 5 years ago...from what I remember they both fit in the ziplock. And while I don't remember the volume of each bottle, all my bottles made it through YVR, SFO, ICN to South East Asia and then back again through SIA, ICN and then got confiscated at LAX. I cleared customs and security at all the airports so unless LAX has special restrictions, I can't really think of any reason for them to take any of my bottles, because clearly they fit the limits at SFO.

toucs
Learner
Learner

Post by toucs »

What i don't understand is people wear make up to the airport. Then take it off when they're flying.. Why not just go the day without make up. It seems kinda pointless to me. Flying is already a hassle with making sure you have everything. Then security and finding your gate. Make up just seems unnecessary to me.

Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

I know it's not technically long haul, but I flew JFK-LAX a few months ago, and I have really dry skin so I had to do some sort of skin care routine.
It was an early flight on the way to LA, so I wore minimal makeup to the airport. Concealer, powder, mascara and bronzer. Removed it 30 minutes into the flight with a Yes to cucumber makeup wipe, then I used a cleansing wipe. (i used wipes for everything since I don't want to be a bother since I like window seats). From there I applied a moisturizing mask and left it on for probably an hour or so. Removed/washed it off with the cleansing wipe, applied moisturizer. An hour and a half before the flight was over I used a cleansing wipe again and applied moisturizer one more time, and did my makeup.

For the flight home it was a red-eye and I was exhausted, so I just removed my makeup on the flight, applied moisturizer and woke up when we landed.

I definitely believe in some sort of skincare routine on a flight longer than 4-5 hours. Airplane air just sucks all the moisture from the skin.

rar30
Stalker
Stalker

Post by rar30 »

Ariadne wrote:
Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:34 pm
I know it's not technically long haul, but I flew JFK-LAX a few months ago, and I have really dry skin so I had to do some sort of skin care routine.
It was an early flight on the way to LA, so I wore minimal makeup to the airport. Concealer, powder, mascara and bronzer. Removed it 30 minutes into the flight with a Yes to cucumber makeup wipe, then I used a cleansing wipe. (i used wipes for everything since I don't want to be a bother since I like window seats). From there I applied a moisturizing mask and left it on for probably an hour or so. Removed/washed it off with the cleansing wipe, applied moisturizer. An hour and a half before the flight was over I used a cleansing wipe again and applied moisturizer one more time, and did my makeup.

For the flight home it was a red-eye and I was exhausted, so I just removed my makeup on the flight, applied moisturizer and woke up when we landed.

I definitely believe in some sort of skincare routine on a flight longer than 4-5 hours. Airplane air just sucks all the moisture from the skin.
While traveling, I often suffer with skin problems. I have tried a lot to deal with this but not getting proper treatment with this. Can anyone suggest me some effective treatment to cure this? Looking for suggestions.

lake Tahoe activities

pattiepannie
Learner
Learner

Post by pattiepannie »

I do a 5 day and night time routine. Normally when I shop for most of my skincare products I will either ask for samples of the same products or something similar and I save it for traveling. THat way I dont have to carry or decant my stuff for the trip. I just bring samples along.

1. Micelar water or Makeup remover (what is best available)
2. Moisturizer
3. Serum
4. Eye gel (to freshen up I like to use Whitchhazel's eye depuffer cheap and soothing havent found a similar product)
5. If it is daytime I will use sunblock if it is night time rose water or a toner.

Bonus
For the hotel I always bring my own face wash or soap. Just to be safe.

georgejivess
Stalker
Stalker

Post by georgejivess »

There are many websites from where you can easily know about the best and safe route for travelling. Web sites will be very helpful for everyone.

Return to “Travel”