New Book: "Make Up Your Life"

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Book: "Make Up Your Life"

Post by Trololol »

Since she thinks music should be free, so is her book!

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

^^ So should her make up. :rofl:

snuffy777
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by snuffy777 »

amuto_lover wrote:^^ So should her make up. :rofl:
LOL! Isn't it already? With their lowering prices, constant sales and "get a free foundation with a purchase of 'love me for me' powder". :rofl: What even happened with her foundation? On the site it's $0.00.

aamomo
Learner
Learner

Post by aamomo »

LOL. I wouldn't call this "book" collectible at all.
(reworded from a quote by Trololol of GG)

sapage89
Debater
Debater

Post by sapage89 »

So. This book just came up for free on blogging for books. I requested it to me my next book. No way in heck am I gonna pay for it but it actually has semi decent reviews on the site. Which surprises me..

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Gossipgirl80
Debater
Debater

Post by Gossipgirl80 »

^The reviews are written by her "phans" - don't be fooled!

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I'm reading the book as we speak (several fans have been kind enough to upload it as a torrent, LOL, 'fans'?).

Typing as I read, some of my favourite parts so far...

- The part where she moved away for college which they saved up all their money for but then she needed to get a $200 a weekend job to 'afford white paint because she was poor'. I worked my way through college princess and a $200 a week weekend job is not being poor.

- "The executives [at Google] refer to me as one of their “children.” In turn, I always refer to the company as “Mother Google.” They are proud I created my brand without showing off body parts or doing anything vulgar. " --- I can't even. Please don't make me explain what is wrong with that statement.

- I could have read over it (I got bored and skipped sentences here and there because I'm on a low sugar diet and am bullshit intolerant) but I'm pretty sure Iqqu was completely brushed past?

- Her two only celebrity interview though (Dita von Teese and Nelly Furtado, both hella awkward) did somehow make it into the book, mentioned as though 'two of the many'. Okay, Oprah.

- "FAWN was exclusive to YouTube for the first year, but now we’re allowed to work with other media outlets and expand our scope of activities. So stay tuned. We’re in the process of transforming FAWN from a production company to a media company, and I know great things will come of it." --- this channel is not even doing well on YouTube (they are not making enough money to put in some for upgrades - fact) so pretty sure FAWN isn't going anywhere other than maybe eventually down?

- "As a high school student, I didn’t have money for makeup, so I would shop from the returns bin at the local drugstore. Everything was super cheap and you just had to wipe the product off, scrape away a layer or two, or sharpen the pencils a few times and they were as good as new [...] Who knew that one day Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent would send me bags overflowing with their products?" this just makes me cringe because if she really has been that poor and she was making the money she was now, she would be doing giveaways or anything of the sorts rather than bragging about the free stuff she now gets for being rich?

- I find it odd to just put in the book - she literally dedicates one sentence to him - that she's never gotten along with her stepfather, but at least she got a sister out of it? Like what? If you love your sister and he is her father you could possibly just not mention you don't like him, and if she also doesn't like him you could possibly explain more because many of your fans might be in similar situations? Might be more helpful than bragging about your free makeup?

Good god and that's just her first two chapters about herself, I am only now delving into the no doubt frustrating rest of the book filled with bad advice?
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

ROFL the skincare chapter is flat out ridiculous and I skipped it because it basically just recommends using 20000 steps of high end skincare every day... seriously I just use oil and one SPF cream and I'm quite happy with it, thanks.

The makeup chapter contains everything Google would spit out to "how to makeup".

Now I'm in the fashion chapter and I'm being told how to dress at a funeral. Wow. Just wow. She really couldn't come up with anything new or useful for this book?

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

Please PM me the link to the torrent!

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

How to dress for a funeral, seriously?
Wtf?

" when going to a funeral you should wear black, because black is slimming on the body, you don't want to look like the dead one"
" make sure to bring eye drops in case you're not shedding any tears."

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

You have been PMed about the torrent. Pay it forward, obviously. If anyone else wants it, let me know.

I have to admit I had to take a break after the chapter about text message etiquette and "ALWAYS think about your REPUTATION WHEN USING SOCIAL MEDIA!" chapter. Probably because I didn't think I was living in a small southern town in the 50s.

She also goes out of her way to let you know in the book she is aggravated by people who clip their nails in public. Now I agree I find it a bit gross as well but come on, really, you get to publish one book and that is what you want in there?

The funeral page:

This book might be useful for 12 year olds who can't use Google?
Last edited by DaylightAmy on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Oh also in the makeup chapter she explains that part of why she loves being a woman is because it means you get to express yourself with makeup (or by not wearing makeup).

I guess people without vaginas can't wear makeup then? Someone better let the real world know.

lurker123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by lurker123 »

^ Pretty sure she tries to come up with something empowering before she comes up with the reason behind it, which is why so much of what she says is confusing. "I love being a woman, being a woman is empowering" --> "This is because, uh, you can express yourself with makeup. Or no makeup. Yeah."

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

lurker123 wrote:^ Pretty sure she tries to come up with something empowering before she comes up with the reason behind it, which is why so much of what she says is confusing. "I love being a woman, being a woman is empowering" --> "This is because, uh, you can express yourself with makeup. Or no makeup. Yeah."
I think you hit the nail on the head. This "tip paragraph" from the book is a star example of that:

Could've just said: "Any type of courtesy suits anyone, whether you're a man or a woman." but she starts ten steps backward, jumps to step 30 and then goes from 1 to 2.

ERMAHGERD~
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ERMAHGERD~ »

Right... a half assed etiquette book coming from this stank chick that doesn't wash her underwear, HAD TO ASK HER FANS IF THEY DO... the fans responded with YES... Michin then concealedher dirty panty with a pantyliner... voila! No more stinky panty!

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

aaand I finally got the book, thanks to @DaylightAmy for providing me access to an epub copy. Here is the Trololol critical review! This is a critical review from a trained makeup artist.

The introduction: "I’m a former art student, self-taught makeup artist, and digital nerd who was lucky to see her hobby turn into a profession." First of all, a real nerd (or geek) doesn't have to constantly remind people that they are indeed a nerd; it's apparent in their mannerisms.

The definition of nerd, according to dictionary.com: an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit. Michelle is not that intelligent; if anything, she's barely above average. This is apparent in her attempts at trying to sound like she knows what she's talking about throwing big words around like 'cognitive dissonance' when failing to accept that there are two sides to an argument (that was hilarious as fuck, by the way. 'Look at me, I use big words with more than three syllables!')

An intelligent person would know that there are two sides to every argument, and regardless of what side they're on, they would not react like a spoiled brat when faced with a contradictory argument. Intelligence isn't just about knowledge, it's about how you handle different perspectives whilst still being able to argue your own rationally. Her essentially enabling the Douche to argue back with the rationality of a hysterical 12 year old high school girl on her first period does not make her or him sound very intelligent. If anything, it enforces the fact that they are indeed ignorant as fuck.

For someone who flogs her Vietnamese origin story, she sure has a self image issue, whitening her skin by upping the contrast on her videos. The back story about her Vietnamese name is cheesy.

And the way she makes herself sound like she's super awesome by 'chasing her dreams of making videos' seem forced. The thing is, she got LUCKY. She happened to be relatable, and her basic makeup videos were easy for people to follow. They weren't great works of art rivaling the likes of Lisa Eldridge, but they made it easy for newbies (like me, at the time I discovered her) by breaking down the makeup process for those who were overwhelmed by the complexities of the makeup world. Instead of snooty supermodelesque makeup demonstrators at the counter who wouldn't look at you unless you were dressed (and made up) to impress, we had a friendly, equally timid girl who made makeup look super easy. And THAT was what made her famous. It was essentially makeup for dummies without the snootiness. Instead, she made it sound like she was this badass makeup artiste who took a big risk by quitting her sushi job when the family was barely scrapping by to chase her dreams. #gagworthy

I can't believe she included a screencap of her 'Angelina Jolie' makeup video. Firstly, that look was sloppy as hell.

this was the first shot of the video, and you'd have to be blind as Stevie Wonder not to see the badly applied eye makeup. The undereye makeup is espeially uneven; just LOOK at it. The lipstick application ends up looking crusty as a dry cracker. And don't get me started on how badly she contours her face; it's dark, it's harsh, it's messy. She includes this in her book like she nailed it. It's not a makeup execution that I would be super proud of, much less something I'd want to include in a book.

And her complaining about the backstage show just pisses me the fuck off like you can't even know. The reason why she's slow is because her entire career is based on applying makeup on her own face; she doesn't even bother to expand! It's been SEVEN years now since she became famous, and yet, she is unable to apply makeup onto other people's faces; and she STILL thinks she an call herself a makeup artist. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; she has a lot of staff under her whom she can ask to practice on. I'm sure they would be more than happy to do it! But she doesn't want people to know how bad she is at doing other people's makeup, so she never bothers. The longer she waits, the more embarrassing it would be for her to fuck up doing other people's makeup. And since she is so fond of hallmark inspirational quotes, here's one I'd like to toss her way; BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. Going 7 years without knowing how to apply makeup on other people's faces is hilarious; the fact that she won't even practice to improve is sad but also karmic in a sense. Her boasting about how she's an awesome and successful and empowered business woman has come back to bite her in the ass. Now, any attempt she would make to expand her skills will have to go perfect immediately, or she risks losing face. And nothing is ever perfect the first time.

Stay tuned for the Trololol review part deux!

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

I'm surprised that she mentioned her angelina jolie tutorial
I agree it's nothing to be proud of calling it sloppy is a compliment to that shit transformation.

The filthy contouring and the bee stung lips ** shivers** I think it's between angelina Jolie and hatsune Miku being her worst transformation video.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

^I just realized how freaky the screencaps are when aligned. o.o Holy shit.

Her chapter on skin care could have been written better; her explanation on what kinds of skin types relies on a few keywords. I guess we could blame the ghost writer.
The first three mean exactly what they sound like. Normal is normal, dry is dry, oily is oily. If you don’t have any skin issues, your skin type is most likely normal and you are very lucky! If your skin feels tight, crinkly, or even itchy, it’s dry. If your skin feels greasy and is very shiny, you probably have oily skin.
How about expanding on the definition of each skin type? This is just lazy work.
I am fanatical about skin care, so my routine is fairly elaborate. I believe good skin takes work. When I went to Asia for the first time, I was so excited because I met women even more skin care obsessed than I am. Some of them use as many as a dozen skin care products each day! That is dedication. My routine isn’t that complicated, but it still involves several steps and one or two products for each step.
What about this...

[youtube][/youtube]

She mentions feet as well in her skin care section:
Feet First!

Since we’re talking about body parts, let’s talk feet! You definitely need to pay attention to your feet. They really take a beating, especially because women’s shoes are not very forgiving. And nothing is nastier than neglected feet. You know what I’m talking about—dry, gross, crusty skin. Icky. It happens to me when I wear open-toed shoes a lot. To combat this, I grab a tub of Vaseline, slather it on my feet, and throw on some socks. Any socks will do. Wear them to bed and the next morning, your feet are baby-butt soft. I swear!
She doesn't mention how fungal infection can cause irritated skin on feet. It happens. All you need is anti fungal cream and tea tree infused lotion to keep fungus at bay. It's icky, yes, but by saying it casually that it's icky without exploring other possible cause for it, she's being a bit of a jerk. Who knows who else has skin problems that can't be solved by just vaseline. I mean sometimes people get eczema, and vaseline can't fix that. Ugh.

And the exercise paragraph; it's obvious that she has never taken a class or done any serious exercise. Firstly, those shoes are impractical. When exercising, you need shoes that are well fitted, cushioned, and has a sole that will provide proper grip. Essentially, you need running shoes. Heeled shoes are not suitable for any kind of workout because it will fuck up your sense of balance, and this means you are more likely to slip and fall, therefore injuring yourself. And a fall in a gym situation where you are surrounded by weights and equipment, or if you're out running in those shoes, you're more than likely to seriously injure yourself. Hell, I don't think there's any reputable gym around that would allow you in the floor wearing those shoes.

Easy exercises can easily be googled; all she had to do was search for easy yoga moves and easy cardio. Leg lifts to tone the legs and abs. Weights for the bicep and tricep. Stretching. Planking she already mentioned in her video where she tried to convince us of her weird morning routine, but she didn't include it in her book, so I can only assume that she fond out about it after the book hit the printers. Shoddy. Also, she could have mentioned how doing menial housework counts as a workout; take the stairs instead of the lift. Park your car a bit further from the supermarket. Simple shit like that.

Her makeup section is uninspiring, much like her makeup videos. It's got enough basic info that you could pick up from any fashion magazine or a beauty blog. There isn't much I could fault her with here, since it's makeup 101, and if she got that wrong, the seriously, pull the plug on your career and go back to being a waitress. She does, however, pick concealers and foundations that are a few shades lighter than her skin. She mentions how you should pick a foundation that disappears into your skin, but then in the pictures, she picks the light ones. FFS, woman, you're Asian, therefore you're beige. Accept this, and we can all stop bleeding from the eyes every time you jack the contrast up.

She drew this. It's shoddy. The faces all look almost the same and don't even demonstrate the face shapes properly. Was this a first draft or something?

Here is a better chart for face shapes, and you can see the shapes distinctly.
Failure to blend is the number one mistake you can make with blush. Don’t leave the house with an identifiable blush “shape” on your face, like a circle or a triangle. Make sure to buff in the color with your brush, a puff, or a sponge. Buffing is just a gentle blending in of the color. But don’t be overzealous or you’ll wipe off all the product you just applied!
She needs to practice what she preaches, because she is guilty of this in almost every video.

She mentions about how everyone should have a makeup bag for when you're on the go; she included this picture.

The item I circled looks just like the ELF eye primer. It's a pretty good primer, especially for the price. I'm 99.9% certain that it is. I find it interesting how you can see the brand for the liquid highlighter (benefit) and the YSL lipstick (that signature tube is unmistakable) and the eye pencil (eyeko) but the eye primer tube shows only the tube and nothing else. And didn't she diss ELF a while ago? ELF makes better quality for the price than EM, so there's that.

Here's the image from the ELF website for comparison; the tube is sometimes smoothe and glossy, sometimes matte, depending on the batch.

The hair section is ok, nothing exceptional, but she did leave out one very important rule when it comes to using heated tools on your hair, and that is to NEVER USE HEATED TOOLS ON WET HAIR. You could risk damaging your hair permanently, which can only be solved by chopping the hair off. It's a rule that out makeup and hair tutors mention every time, and if you are caught doing it during a test on a model, you automatically fail.

I notice how she likes to ham it up for the camera; her photos sometimes come off as try hard.

Just like in her makeup videos, she loves to eyefuck the camera.

Her fashion advise... well, she admits that she makes bad fashion choices, but she still does it. She mentions nothing about how you should learn a few basic alterations if you know how to use the sewing machine to hem pant legs because girl, that is a lifesaver. She doesn't mention wearing clothes that fit your proportions or getting it tailored to fit your size.
Being overdressed shows that you put some effort and thought into it.
Um, being overdressed means that you're trying too hard. Like you seem to do a lot. Being dressed smartly, or wearing clothes that flatter your body shape is when you look like you put effort into your looks. Quite a few she leaves out, like wearing the right skirts for a petite frame, and if your skirt goes below the knee, you shouldn't wear shoes that go over the ankle because it shortens your legs, making you look stumpy.

Image Image

She mentions how for makeup artists and stylists, trendy clothes are a no no. And that they should wear no makeup. ....perhaps light makeup is fine, but nothing that is too loud. Anything that makes you look like you're about to go clubbing is a no no, so when wearing makeup, keep it simple. Not no makeup whatsoever.
Do not let material things define who you are. The true you is reflected by your intelligence, your character, your personality, and your actions. These are things that money can’t buy and that never go out of fashion.
.....yeah, I'm going to leave you with that and write up part three.

SuperSmashPeach
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by SuperSmashPeach »

What the hell?! Is that really the introduction?! "I’m a former art student, self-taught makeup artist, and digital nerd who was lucky to see her hobby turn into a profession."

That gave me a good laugh... Self-taught make up artist.. Look in the mirror Michelle! :rofl:

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

^The full intro went like this:
Thank you for picking up Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success—Online and Off! I am excited that you and I are about to take a journey through these chapters together. You might know me already, but for those of you who don’t, here’s a quick bio. I’m a former art student, self-taught makeup artist, and digital nerd who was lucky to see her hobby turn into a profession. Back in the early days of YouTube, I started posting beauty tutorials on a regular basis. A lot of people watched them, then a lot more. Within a short period of time, I had hundreds of millions of views and became the most-subscribed- to woman on YouTube. Making beauty tutorials became my full-time job. It was quite the twenty-first-century career and not the job I ever imagined having. From there, I’ve been on an incredible journey that’s brought me around the globe and even seen the creation of my own makeup line, em. I’ve also launched a production company, a YouTube channel, and a beauty sample subscription service. I’ve gone from being a video-game-playing introvert to a CEO in a short period of time.

Creating a book is a new thing for me since I’m very much a creature of the Internet. When I found my calling online, my whole life changed. Through my videos and social media, I have been able to connect with people around the world. So why a book? Well, every day, on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram—every digital platform that I’m on—I get asked questions about a huge range of topics. Everything from dating and making videos to dealing with acne and finding a job or an internship. I always wished there was a way I could answer all your questions. Now I can, through the pages of this book.

Books occupy an important place in my heart and my mind. When I was younger, before the Internet (yes, there was a time when the Internet as we know it didn’t exist!), before Wikipedia, before blogs and websites and YouTube, books were my escape, my key to other worlds. My mom would drop me off at the local bookstore (“Don’t worry, Mommy! I’ll be fine,” I would tell her) and I would stay there for hours, using the place like a library. I’d pore through books on art, makeup, and history and just get lost in the pages. I was in high school, often broke, sometimes bullied, and frequently misunderstood, and the bookstore was my refuge. To have my very own book is a dream come true. It would mean the world to me if this book helps you the way those books helped me years ago.

The past several years have been quite a roller-coaster ride of activity and opportunity for me, with many ups and downs and tons of life lessons. I’ve learned a lot the hard way, but I’ve also had the good fortune to meet so many inspiring, wonderful people and to be surrounded by loved ones, all of whom have helped me, taught me, and guided me through each stage. I’ve gained so much knowledge and I’m happy to be able to share that wisdom with you.

Nothing is more important to me than teaching, learning, and communicating. As I like to say, I live, I love, I teach, but most important, I learn. Let’s have fun as you go through these pages. We’ll dream, create, debate, laugh, and learn a lot about both of us. We’re in this together. Sound good? Let’s get started.

Good luck!

Love,
On with the Trololol review (and I am running out of steam because I can only tolerate so much BS.)
In this chapter, I’m going to share everything I’ve learned about dealing with the digital world—the ethics, the etiquette, the best practices. If you approach your digital life in a smart, strategic way, trust me—you’ll have less to worry about and more time to enjoy the benefits!
So bocking and deteing people is smart and strategic? Letting your boyfriend lash out like a hysterical little bitch is smart and strategic? What now?

We know nothing with Michelle is coincidental.
Someone broke up with me via text, and let me tell you, I have no respect for that guy. It’s disrespectful to end something this way.
I don't know about you, but saying something like "I have no respect for that guy" in a book that's supposed to be written by a professional seems juvenile. Perhaps she could have said it differently, because this just sounds like she's rubbing it in his face; like 'look at me, I've got a book published, and I wrote about you in it, so hah.'

Most of the things in her Digital Dos and Don'ts are common sense.
MISTAKE DOS AND DON’TS
Do admit to your mistakes.

Do move on once you’ve owned up to your actions and/or apologized. The more you dwell on it, the more it continues to exist.
I've never seen her own up to her mistakes; not voluntarily, at least. She only fesses up once a significant amount of fans call her out, and that was only once, during the retweet incident where the girl had to delete her account because Michelle wanted her to 'get a taste of her own medicine.' She never fesses up when caught plagiarizing. Shameful.
ONLINE PERSONA DOS AND DON’TS
Do post things that enhance your reputation, not detract from it.

Do think before you post. Ask yourself: “How does this make me look?”

Do realize that everything you post contributes to how people view you.

Don’t be one person in the real world and a different person in the digital world. People will be confused.
I don't know about you guys, but she doesn't always adhere to her own rules. What she posts make her sound and look like an ignorant pseudo intellect, and her response to dissenting voices only confirms it.
ONLINE NEGATIVITY

It’s easy to engage in this kind of behavior. I’m talking about anonymous comments and negative comments. There are so many opportunities to hide behind the cloak of invisibility the Internet offers, but I urge you to take the high road. Just because you can say something negative doesn’t mean you should. The Internet can be an ugly place when nasty comments get thrown around, but it can also be a supportive, nurturing place.

Even though you’re just one person, you’d be amazed at how much influence you can have by being a positive force online.
I can't help but feel like she's referring to us in some ways; I mean we are very critical. And she views that as negativity. Even before I joined GG, I was trying to be critical whilst still being on her side, but in her mind's eye, there is no such thing. Either kiss her ass, or GTFO.

The rest is common sense, like backing up your files, etc. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out, and it seemed kind of unnecessary, but the ghost writer needed to pad the book with writing, and since it's her realm, might as well, right?

The career section is also more common sense that seems out of place in this book. She's talking about writing resumes and having references; this coming from a woman who didn't have to apply for the job that she has now. The info is basically copy pasta from the internet.
What book do you love?

The Bible and The Giving Tree
The rest is meh to the tenth power.

Also, lookie here, she included Promise.

Return to “Michelle Phan”