Essay topic?

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Essay topic?

Post by KittenKaboost »

Am I the only one who has trouble picking a topic for an essay?! All day yesterday I was trying to come up with one but I was either not interested in the topic or the subject was too broad lol. I was wondering if some people here could help me? I want to do something about body image or children/youth. Thanks everyone!

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Essay topic?

Post by Forever Eccentric »

You can write about pro-ana and pro-mia blogs that promote eating disorders.

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

Thanks so much! This is a great idea.

Suspiria
Informer
Informer

Post by Suspiria »

Not at all. By the time you get to college you pretty much just start shitting them out of your ass.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Suspiria wrote:Not at all. By the time you get to college you pretty much just start shitting them out of your ass.
So true.

I wrote about the Joker and Batman for one of my final papers last year, that's how many shits I gave. So sick of papers.
imma ball til the day i fall

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

Angie V wrote:
Suspiria wrote:Not at all. By the time you get to college you pretty much just start shitting them out of your ass.
So true.

I wrote about the Joker and Batman for one of my final papers last year, that's how many shits I gave. So sick of papers.
Ahh I'm already in college (not university) lol. This is like the second one I've done since the year began. Not looking forward to the rest of the year. I don't know if it's just me but when teachers say "choose what ever topic you want" my mind draws a blank.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

KittenKaboost wrote:
Angie V wrote:
So true.

Ahh I'm already in college (not university) lol. This is like the second one I've done since the year began. Not looking forward to the rest of the year. I don't know if it's just me but when teachers say "choose what ever topic you want" my mind draws a blank.

i'm a senior in college, so you can only imagine how done i am with this bs
imma ball til the day i fall

Clover la BonBon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Clover la BonBon »

KittenKaboost wrote:
Angie V wrote:
So true.

British college? Which subject is the essay for? By what you have already said i'm guessing it might be a media studies, if it is during my second year we got thrown this question and I questioned the viability of westernisation of Singaporean beauty advertisements, whether it was a legitimate process or something that had its roots in wider geographical and historical ideologies or indeed if westernisation occurred at all and was part of a media hype.

In regards to when you get to uni, yes you will be churning out the 'choose yourself' because they want to see how you approach a topic or a question. I have found the best thing to do is try and integrate what you are interested in, I have just finished my masters degree and from college level it was just a slow process of taking chances with assignments (I do geography btw :D ) to tailor it to what you find is academically relevant and interesting. I cannot stress the importance of reading around and experiencing different things. I don't just mean the stuff in the library either but high grossing novels, youtube videos, documentaries, excursions to places. Then you have a whole host of inspiration to tap into.

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

KittenKaboost wrote:Am I the only one who has trouble picking a topic for an essay?! All day yesterday I was trying to come up with one but I was either not interested in the topic or the subject was too broad lol. I was wondering if some people here could help me? I want to do something about body image or children/youth. Thanks everyone!
I'm in the same boat, must figure out a senior thesis topic soon uggghhhghghh. I'll probably end up doing something with US foreign policy towards the USSR during the cold war. Oh god is this even going to be 20 pages long what do I do

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

British college? Which subject is the essay for? By what you have already said i'm guessing it might be a media studies, if it is during my second year we got thrown this question and I questioned the viability of westernisation of Singaporean beauty advertisements, whether it was a legitimate process or something that had its roots in wider geographical and historical ideologies or indeed if westernisation occurred at all and was part of a media hype.

In regards to when you get to uni, yes you will be churning out the 'choose yourself' because they want to see how you approach a topic or a question. I have found the best thing to do is try and integrate what you are interested in, I have just finished my masters degree and from college level it was just a slow process of taking chances with assignments (I do geography btw :D ) to tailor it to what you find is academically relevant and interesting. I cannot stress the importance of reading around and experiencing different things. I don't just mean the stuff in the library either but high grossing novels, youtube videos, documentaries, excursions to places. Then you have a whole host of inspiration to tap into.
[/quote]

Not British college (I wish lol). I'm from Canada, specifically Ontario. Here there is college, which is more hands on and then there is university. You can go to any of the two or you can go to college then uni or vice versa. This is for my English class (everyone is required to take one I believe). I'm taking Child and Youth Work though so I'm not sure if we will be doing any essays (they even have a class where we basically play games. It has its use in the feild). I'm frightend of university right now lol but I don't really have to think about that for probably another 5 or 10 years after college. English is my worst subject as you can see with what I just wrote lol

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

paperbackwriter wrote:
KittenKaboost wrote:Am I the only one who has trouble picking a topic for an essay?! All day yesterday I was trying to come up with one but I was either not interested in the topic or the subject was too broad lol. I was wondering if some people here could help me? I want to do something about body image or children/youth. Thanks everyone!
I'm in the same boat, must figure out a senior thesis topic soon uggghhhghghh. I'll probably end up doing something with US foreign policy towards the USSR during the cold war. Oh god is this even going to be 20 pages long what do I do
Yikes 20 pages! Good luck! (Not saying that in a mean way) I remember once in highschool my teacher had done like his Masters I believe, and he had done an essay that was almost 90 pages!

Clover la BonBon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

KittenKaboost wrote:
paperbackwriter wrote:
Yikes 20 pages! Good luck! (Not saying that in a mean way) I remember once in highschool my teacher had done like his Masters I believe, and he had done an essay that was almost 90 pages!
Yep mine was 103 :D haha

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

KittenKaboost wrote:
paperbackwriter wrote:
I wish it was only 20 pages. It's 60-90 I think but what I was saying is I think the topic I might pick is only going to produce 20 pages of material...that's why I'm worried!

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Ick, so glad I don't have to write a senior thesis. I have trouble even writing 10 pages, lol. I'm good at school but I hate it because I have awful self-discipline and I procrastinate on everything. Good luck to everyone... when picking an essay topic I think it's best to pick something fairly specific, but not to the point where you can only find one relevant source. If you want to write about body image, for instance, I'd suggest doing something like the effect of X on body image. X could be the media, gender roles, the fashion industry, etc.

Clover la BonBon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Hell why not do youtube beauty/fashion gurus on body image :D

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

For grad school, since I was a technical communications major, I was writing 20+ page papers almost every week for my classes. My final project (I opted for a project over a thesis) was 150 pages. I ended up having a specialization in graphic design and ended up taking a couple of undergrad courses and had to giggle when all the freshies moaned about writing a 5 page paper ... ;)

jadelifts_
Informer
Informer

Post by jadelifts_ »

My easy go-to topic always has to do with a feminist topic. they cant disagree with you therefore only your grammar matters and your structure ;)
I'm not sorry.

Trish11
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Trish11 »

Yeah, sometimes I also have troubles with that

Return to “Education”