NaNoWriMo

kayleighrawrz
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NaNoWriMo

Post by kayleighrawrz »

So nanowrimo is beginning soon and I was wondering if anyone here is doing it? And do you guys have any tips for it? This is my first time doing it :)

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by KittenKaboost »

That's awesome! I really want to do it but I know I wouldn't be able to commit to it, so hopefully next year.
I'm not really sure these are good tips but
- At least have an idea of what you want to write about.
- Try to set aside a certain amount of time so you can write.
-Try to write everyday.
-Don't waste time editing.
-Sometimes people go into these things having the idea for their story and it ends up going in another direction, so don't get stressed if this happens. Authors have said that their story writes itself.
- Believe that you're an author now.
- And lastly have fun!

Good luck!!

kayleighrawrz
Learner
Learner

Post by kayleighrawrz »

KittenKaboost wrote:That's awesome! I really want to do it but I know I wouldn't be able to commit to it, so hopefully next year.
I'm not really sure these are good tips but
- At least have an idea of what you want to write about.
- Try to set aside a certain amount of time so you can write.
-Try to write everyday.
-Don't waste time editing.
-Sometimes people go into these things having the idea for their story and it ends up going in another direction, so don't get stressed if this happens. Authors have said that their story writes itself.
- Believe that you're an author now.
- And lastly have fun!

Good luck!!
I will try to do some of these, thanks!

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I'm not sure if I'm doing it this year as I've been incredibly busy lately.. but one of my friends has done it for over five years in a row and completed it every time. I think it helps if you have a set word count to reach each day, as well as a basic outline of the plot. Also, plan out your characters beforehand so that you can fully figure out their personalities before writing. Otherwise, Kitten's tips are great as well. Having fun is what's most important. :)

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

I don't celebrate it, but I thinks quite offensive that people just think it's about painting your face and sugar skulls, like people dressing up like one for halloween. It's disrespectful to do this and not know or celebrate the holiday.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Decayedbeauty wrote:I don't celebrate it, but I thinks quite offensive that people just think it's about painting your face and sugar skulls, like people dressing up like one for halloween. It's disrespectful to do this and not know or celebrate the holiday.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

National Novel Writing Month (also known as NaNoWriMo /ˌnænoʊˈraɪmoʊ/ na-noh-ry-moh) is an annual internet-based creative writing project which challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1 and 30. Despite its name it accepts entries from around the world.
The project started in July 1999 with just 21 participants, but by the 2010 event over 200,000 people took part – writing a total of over 2.8 billion words.[2]
Writers wishing to participate first register on the project's website, where they can post profiles and information about their novels, including synopsis and excerpts. Word counts are validated on the site, with writers submitting a copy of their novel for automatic counting. Municipal leaders and regional forums help connect local writers with one another for holding writing events and to provide encouragement.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Nostalgia wrote:
Decayedbeauty wrote:I don't celebrate it, but I thinks quite offensive that people just think it's about painting your face and sugar skulls, like people dressing up like one for halloween. It's disrespectful to do this and not know or celebrate the holiday.

National Novel Writing Month (also known as NaNoWriMo /ˌnænoʊˈraɪmoʊ/ na-noh-ry-moh) is an annual internet-based creative writing project which challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1 and 30. Despite its name it accepts entries from around the world.
The project started in July 1999 with just 21 participants, but by the 2010 event over 200,000 people took part – writing a total of over 2.8 billion words.[2]
Writers wishing to participate first register on the project's website, where they can post profiles and information about their novels, including synopsis and excerpts. Word counts are validated on the site, with writers submitting a copy of their novel for automatic counting. Municipal leaders and regional forums help connect local writers with one another for holding writing events and to provide encouragement.
I think they meant to post that in the "Day of the Dead" thread ...

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

I'm doing NaNoWriMo!

Who else is?! :)

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

I'm not because I'm too busy...and next year I'll be writing my senior thesis...so...maybe someday.

But if anyone needs something looked over and/or constructive criticism and/or praise, I'm happy to read what you've got.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Paperbackwriter, I'll hold you to that. I'm already behind a couple thousand words [school is the devil]. I'd love a peer-editor in December :love2:

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

^ Yeah, I'd be down to read/edit/advise anyone's work as well. Does anyone use the NaNo website much? I did a few years ago but I haven't really been on it since.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Yay! Awesome.

I have a profile on there now, Sonia. Why?

perf
Informer
Informer

Post by perf »

I've been doing NanoWriMo since fifth grade..five years. :D I've finished all but last year's...and I think I'll signup this year but I don't really know. I've been super busy :|

Return to “Writing”